F1

Stillearly

I feel the public are the losers because the trust in the FIA has been affected to the detriment of the sport.

Max wasn't punished in an earlier race, Interlagos? which led to Christian Horner complaining when Max was punished for a similar offence at Saudi Arabia. Michael Masi then made on offer to RB to allow Hamilton to pass. When asked if that was in the rules, he replied no but it could go to the stewards instead. Ironically, after that race Race director Michael Masi came under criticism from Red Bull boss Christian Horner, who claimed that ‘every decision’ went against his team during the race.

This week he said cars could not unlap, then changed to some cars can unlap in contravention of the rules, 3 cars were not allowed that same opportunity. 

There is little point in having a rule book if the Race Director doesn't abide by the rules.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Was watching live in a bar here with many others, mix reactions to what happened. We couldn't hear the commentary so have no idea why Lewis didn't come in for new tyres when max did or under the safety car at the end.

I guess given how exciting this year has been, it gave just as exciting finish, I do feel for Lewis though,  because he had won that race even after max tried to take him out again in the first lap.

16 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Was watching live in a bar here with many others, mix reactions to what happened. We couldn't hear the commentary so have no idea why Lewis didn't come in for new tyres when max did or under the safety car at the end.

I think it was where they were on the track and Max could get in quickly while Lewis would have had to do the best part of a lap at slow speed before coming in which would lose him the lead spot (but I could be 100% wrong).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

I guess given how exciting this year has been, it gave just as exciting finish, I do feel for Lewis though,  because he had won that race even after max tried to take him out again in the first lap.

Lewis couldn’t come in because he would lose track position. Max would do the opposite to what Lewis would f do I because he had nothing to lose at that point . 
The race should have either finished behind the safety car or left ALL the cars unlap themselves. 
But michael masi didn’t do neither and allowed 3 cars to unlap themselves and giving max the advantage. New tyre against old tyres . 
Basically the world championship was decided on 1 lap 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They basically wanted a grandstand finish which is what they got. Think it’s good Max won as they needed someone different to win as it was all getting a bit stale with Hamilton winning most years, also sets up next year nicely. Have gone off Hamilton in recent years as he’s completely changed as the wealth and fame as gone to his head, fair play though he was sporting about it at the end and can hold his head high.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sangsom said:

They basically wanted a grandstand finish which is what they got. Think it’s good Max won as they needed someone different to win as it was all getting a bit stale with Hamilton winning most years, also sets up next year nicely. Have gone off Hamilton in recent years as he’s completely changed as the wealth and fame as gone to his head, fair play though he was sporting about it at the end and can hold his head high.

It is certainly good for the sport and I agree Hamilton was very sporting congratulating him at the end. 

As for the rules, they should be the same for everyone. I couldn't hear what was going on, if that's the case then it's discusting and the top guy should go.

At least Mercedes won the construction championships. Bitter sweet methinks. 

Still a 96 hr window for appeal, but I doubt whether it will be successful for Mercedes. 

I wanted Red Bull and Max to win, but not in the way it panned out. Yes it was good for spectators with a sprint finish but probably the circumstances of the finish will be discussed for sometime to come. 

The, safety car changed everything and gave Max the opportunity for fresh soft tyres, whilst Lewis could have done the same but list track position with only one lap to go. On the other hand, Max would have had to clear all back markers and probably could not have done that and overtaken Lewis on the last lap, even with Mercedes tyre rubber all but gone. 

I hope the FIA will take a serious look at not only yesterday's decisions, but those taken in previous races for the future, whatever happens over the next 96 hours. 

It's been a, long while since 2 front runners have been so close to the title. It's been all season in 2021. 

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

It is certainly good for the sport and I agree Hamilton was very sporting congratulating him at the end. 

As for the rules, they should be the same for everyone. I couldn't hear what was going on, if that's the case then it's discusting and the top guy should go.

At least Mercedes won the construction championships. Bitter sweet methinks. 

I think it's crap for the sport ... they handed the title to Max 

not sure if I'll bother watching in future 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I meant it's good for the sport to have two or more competing for the title and having a different winner, but if race control manipulates it then as my previous post, that's discusting and needs addressing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My theory for what it's worth ............okay about 3 Abu Dhabi Dinars ....... pressure got to Masi.

When Latifi crashed he didn't know the rules around the safety car as they are a mess and simply panicked and thought ......... I know ...........

I'll go down in history let them race it out............  last race, last round, last lap great for the global TV audiences.

For me it's all over and Geoff Hurst's third goal clearly crossed the line in 1966 ....... matter sorted.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, boydeste said:

I meant it's good for the sport to have two or more competing for the title and having a different winner, but if race control manipulates it then as my previous post, that's discusting and needs addressing. 

Why not save a load of money and not have any cars, no circuits, much better for the environment.

Give Michael Masi a dice and let him choose who he wants to win.

IMG20211213230911.jpg

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Decision aside I actually think it’s great for the sport. I haven’t watch F1 for years because of the one naturedness of the likely winner. I did start watching it again late this year, the more competitive it is the more viewers they get and the more exciting it is. Who wants to watch 1 driver romp home most races unchallenged? Not me…..

The Eifel Grand Prix in October 2020 throws up some uncomfortable reading for Masi.

The chief steward back then was confronted with a similar safety-car conundrum - and this time he allowed ALL lapped cars to go past.

McLaren starlet Lando Norris broke down in a dangerous spot and on came the safety car.

When Masi was criticised for not allowing racing to resume quickly, he defended himself and said: “There's a requirement in the sporting regulations to wave all the lapped cars past.”

Fuming Mercedes bosses will want to know why the 42-year-old did not follow the same mantra last weekend.

Instead he allowed some but not all cars through - giving Verstappen room to attack Hamilton without nuisances in front of him.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...