COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

3 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Haven't had it. Have an appointment for 19 April, assuming there is any vaccine left!

Ah okay, understand now, you mean you can only see the covid jab via patient access.

I can see and order any scripts, see who accessed my records etc and when, make an appointment, well, was able to before covid.

But they're not indepth, medical history or anything like that. Think just a tool or making appointments, any medication and stuff.

At least it's there, so when you need the proof for whatever sort of vaccine passport, you know you it's there. I assume it'll be all joined up, that record used in the app/QR code or whatever.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Bazle said:

Thanks for that. The neanderthals at my GP do not allow you to message them, nor let you see your records. This message comes up if you try:

Sorry, your practice does not offer this service.

However, I double-checked before posting this, and I can now access my records, but they show only my (first) Covid jab.

Similar position with my surgery, but still cannot see my records, or who has accessed them, cannot make appointments. All I can see is repeat prescriptions. Doesn't matter whether I try from Patient Access or direct from my surgery.

Edited by bob lt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56544236

Over-70s could get booster Covid jab from September - vaccines minister

People aged over 70 could start receiving Covid booster jabs from September to protect them from new variants, the vaccines minister has said.

Nadhim Zahawi told the Daily Telegraph the first booster doses will go to the over-70s, health and social care staff and the clinically vulnerable.

Scientists have been developing booster jabs to combat new Covid variants.

More than 29 million people in the UK have now had a first dose of a vaccine.

Revealing details of the plan to the newspaper, Mr Zahawi said the "most likely date" for booster jabs to begin would be September.

He said deputy chief medical officer Jonathan Van-Tam thought "that if we are going to see a requirement for a booster jab to protect the most vulnerable, [it] would be around September".

The first booster jabs will be given to those in the top four priority groups of the vaccine rollout - which include the over-70s, health and social care workers and the clinically extremely vulnerable.

Mr Zahawi also told the paper that drive-through jab centres could be set up across the UK in the next few months to tackle vaccine hesitancy among younger groups.

He said: "We did some fantastic pilots of drive-in jabs that went really well. And again, as we go down the cohorts in the current deployment you're going to see more of that.

"It's a great way as you do the under-50s, the under-40s, under-30s. Convenience becomes a much greater tool to deploy because you want to make sure for those people, where we think there may be greater hesitancy, we make it as convenient as we can make it."

Mr Zahawi also told the Telegraph that the government was hoping to have up to eight vaccines available by the autumn - with several made in the UK - including one that could guard against three different variants via a single jab.

The UK is currently using two vaccines - developed by Oxford-AstraZeneca and Pfizer-BioNTech - to protect people against Covid-19. A third - the Moderna vaccine - has been approved by the UK's medicines watchdog.

All have been shown to be effective at preventing people from becoming seriously ill and dying from Covid.

The Oxford vaccine offers a good level of protection against the "Kent" variant now dominant in the UK. Early research on other vaccines, including Pfizer, suggest they also protect against this variant.

There are concerns vaccines may not work as well against variants first spotted in South Africa and Brazil, and some UK variants too, but they can be updated.

Meanwhile, the government's latest vaccination figures show that more than 29 million people in the UK have received at least one dose of a Covid vaccine, with more than three million having had a second dose.

Despite ministers warning that the UK's vaccine supplies will fall in April, No 10 says all adults in the UK will still receive a first Covid jab by the end of July. 

The unveiling of the booster plan comes amid concern over a third wave of coronavirus currently sweeping across much of mainland Europe, where the vaccine rollout has happened at a slower pace than in the UK.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson warned earlier this week that the effects of the spike in infections would "wash up on our shores" from Europe.

The situation is still tense in Europe over vaccine exports, with France accusing the UK of "blackmail" over its handling of the issue.

France has called for the European Union to implement tougher export controls as the bloc struggles with its sluggish rollout of vaccines.

The EU is concerned that the UK has had an unfair advantage in its contracts signed with vaccine manufacturers, particularly AstraZeneca.

1 hour ago, john luke said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56544236

Over-70s could get booster Covid jab from September - vaccines minister

People aged over 70 could start receiving Covid booster jabs from September to protect them from new variants, the vaccines minister has said.

Nadhim Zahawi told the Daily Telegraph the first booster doses will go to the over-70s, health and social care staff and the clinically vulnerable.

Scientists have been developing booster jabs to combat new Covid variants.

More than 29 million people in the UK have now had a first dose of a vaccine.

Revealing details of the plan to the newspaper, Mr Zahawi said the "most likely date" for booster jabs to begin would be September.

He said deputy chief medical officer Jonathan Van-Tam thought "that if we are going to see a requirement for a booster jab to protect the most vulnerable, [it] would be around September".

The first booster jabs will be given to those in the top four priority groups of the vaccine rollout - which include the over-70s, health and social care workers and the clinically extremely vulnerable.

Mr Zahawi also told the paper that drive-through jab centres could be set up across the UK in the next few months to tackle vaccine hesitancy among younger groups.

He said: "We did some fantastic pilots of drive-in jabs that went really well. And again, as we go down the cohorts in the current deployment you're going to see more of that.

"It's a great way as you do the under-50s, the under-40s, under-30s. Convenience becomes a much greater tool to deploy because you want to make sure for those people, where we think there may be greater hesitancy, we make it as convenient as we can make it."

Mr Zahawi also told the Telegraph that the government was hoping to have up to eight vaccines available by the autumn - with several made in the UK - including one that could guard against three different variants via a single jab.

The UK is currently using two vaccines - developed by Oxford-AstraZeneca and Pfizer-BioNTech - to protect people against Covid-19. A third - the Moderna vaccine - has been approved by the UK's medicines watchdog.

All have been shown to be effective at preventing people from becoming seriously ill and dying from Covid.

The Oxford vaccine offers a good level of protection against the "Kent" variant now dominant in the UK. Early research on other vaccines, including Pfizer, suggest they also protect against this variant.

There are concerns vaccines may not work as well against variants first spotted in South Africa and Brazil, and some UK variants too, but they can be updated.

Meanwhile, the government's latest vaccination figures show that more than 29 million people in the UK have received at least one dose of a Covid vaccine, with more than three million having had a second dose.

Despite ministers warning that the UK's vaccine supplies will fall in April, No 10 says all adults in the UK will still receive a first Covid jab by the end of July. 

The unveiling of the booster plan comes amid concern over a third wave of coronavirus currently sweeping across much of mainland Europe, where the vaccine rollout has happened at a slower pace than in the UK.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson warned earlier this week that the effects of the spike in infections would "wash up on our shores" from Europe.

The situation is still tense in Europe over vaccine exports, with France accusing the UK of "blackmail" over its handling of the issue.

France has called for the European Union to implement tougher export controls as the bloc struggles with its sluggish rollout of vaccines.

The EU is concerned that the UK has had an unfair advantage in its contracts signed with vaccine manufacturers, particularly AstraZeneca.

Chief MO Van-Tam's father used to teach me Maths at the City School in Lincoln! 

Just now, Krapow said:

I think it will end up something like the yearly flu jab, maybe even combined.

I get the flu and pneumonia jab yearly so not an issue but for those younger this might cause mental stress and civil liberty issues and they will no doubt be debating this on prime time TV for months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I get the flu and pneumonia jab yearly so not an issue but for those younger this might cause mental stress and civil liberty issues and they will no doubt be debating this on prime time TV for months.

I think the pneumonia one is a one-off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coxyhog said:

I think the pneumonia one is a one-off.

Is it, Oh OK, thanks.

I didn't ask for it, they just gave it to me at the same time as my last flu jab. A one off is a good deal although think the Covid one will become like the flu jab. 

I read that the flu jab is given yearly as variants evolve regularly and the jab usually covers up to about 26 of those variants.

Flu, Covid, just another set of jabs I am willing and thankful to receive.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Birx Says Too Many Died in U.S. as Cases Tick Up: Virus Update

The U.S. added almost 79,000 Covid-19 cases in a day amid evidence in some states that infections are shifting to under-30s. The shift, as U.S. cases accelerate again, will test the nationwide strategy of vaccinating the elderly and most vulnerable first.

Deborah Birx, the former White House coronavirus response coordinator, said that U.S. deaths from the virus could have been sharply reduced if mitigation efforts to slow the spread had come more quickly last spring.

“The first time, we have an excuse. There were about 100,000 deaths that came from that original surge,” Birx told CNN. “All of the rest of them, in my mind, could have been mitigated or decreased substantially.”

She’s one of several former Trump administration health officials

U.S. Vaccine Pace Picks Up (6:17 a.m. HK)

The pace of U.S. vaccinations has picked up, with 75% of the population on track to be vaccinated within four months, according to the Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker. On Saturday, 3.5 million doses were administered, more than average of 2.68 million daily doses over the last seven days. A total of 140.2 million doses have been administered in the U.S., the most globally.

President Joe Biden this week set a goal of vaccinating 200 million people in his first 100 days in office. Nearly all U.S. states have set dates for opening eligibility to all adults before the May 1 goal Biden set.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-27/birx-says-too-many-died-in-u-s-as-cases-tick-up-virus-update?srnd=premium-asia

• Like 1

Thank f**k, the overly cautious pessimistic scientist cunts have been doing my head in this past few weeks!

UK goes from 'cavalier' to 'crippling caution' over Covid - scientist

Copyright: PA Media

The UK has "gone from being cavalier to crippling caution" in its approach to Covid, a former head of drug maker GlaxoSmithKline has said.

Sir Richard Sykes, who is now chairman of the Royal Institution, said the possibility of a third wave of infections in the UK was concerning but "very, very unlikely".

"We have gone from being cavalier to crippling caution and I think that's dangerous," he told BBC Radio 4's Broadcasting House.

"There could be, but it's very, very unlikely that there will be a third wave."

In a wide-ranging interview, Sykes defended Oxford jab maker AstraZeneca's supply strategy - but he criticised the firm for its communciations amid a row over supplies with the EU.

And reflecting on the achievements of all the vaccine manufacturers, Sykes said: “What we’ve done in nine months is create a vaccine that is ninety-something percent effective, and absolutely safe, and got it into millions of people. I think has to stand as one of the great achievements of mankind.”

6 hours ago, fforest said:

The first shot was just the warm up.....Who didn't see this coming?.....

Well like all sane people, i had hoped, but as not subscribing to the same founts of all knowledge as you, such as Jake the Asshole's utube ramblings, i couldn't be sure!

That said, i've posted a few times that there would definitely be vaccines, as there was too much money to be made for there not to be. Though i wasn't sure how 'good' they would be, and certainly didn't think they'd be as good as they are.

To quote to Scientist above, 

“What we’ve done in nine months is create a vaccine that is ninety-something percent effective, and absolutely safe, and got it into millions of people. I think has to stand as one of the great achievements of mankind.” 

But what would he know, he's just a scientist, Jake the asshole on the other hand ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Picture the U.S. struggling to deal with a deadly pandemic.

State and local officials enact a slate of social-distancing measures, gathering bans, closure orders and mask mandates in an effort to stem the tide of cases and deaths.

The public responds with widespread compliance mixed with more than a hint of grumbling, pushback and even outright defiance………………………Theater and dance hall owners complain about their financial losses.

Clergy bemoan church closures while offices, factories and in some cases even saloons are allowed to remain open.

Officials argue whether children are safer in classrooms or at home.

Many citizens refuse to don face masks while in public, some complaining that they’re uncomfortable and others arguing that the government has no right to infringe on their civil liberties.

As familiar as it all may sound in 2021, these are real descriptions of the U.S. during the deadly 1918 influenza pandemic.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/people-gave-up-on-flu-pandemic-measures-a-century-ago-when-they-tired-of-them-and-paid-a-price/

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Zeb said:

As familiar as it all may sound in 2021, these are real descriptions of the U.S. during the deadly 1918 influenza pandemic.

And there would have been the moronic anti-vaxxers as well except the flu vaccines wasn't invented for another 20 years. Not sure about 5G though.

Excellent News -

London records zero Covid-19 daily deaths for first time in six months as cases soar elsewhere in Europe

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/29/europe/europe-coronavirus-wrap-third-wave-gbr-intl/index.html

The vaccines do work, the infection rate there is down massively too.

The key will be trying to hunt down this virus and eliminate it from all corners of the globe. You get the numbers low, keep them low and stamp it out…

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Zeb said:

And what happened after the 1918 pandemic ? The roaring 20s ......Everyone forgot about the pandemic and the world and economy had a big party for the next 10 years....

12 minutes ago, fforest said:

And what happened after the 1918 pandemic ? The roaring 20s ......Everyone forgot about the pandemic and the world and economy had a big party for the next 10 years....

And that pandemic only lasted three years so stop your bitching, obey the requested infection control measures, we're 1 year down so only 2 more to go. Then you can party for the next 10 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, fforest said:

Too bad if the 1918 pandemic killed you or your loved ones

It infected 500 million people – about a third of the world's population at the time – in four successive waves.

The death toll is typically estimated to have been somewhere between 20 million and 50 million, although estimates range from a conservative 17 million to a possible high of 100 million, making it one of the deadliest pandemics in human history.

Most influenza outbreaks disproportionately kill the very young and the very old, with a higher survival rate for those in between, but the Spanish flu pandemic resulted in a higher-than-expected mortality rate for young adults.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu