bbc2 uk tv train adventures

thunder367

2 hours ago, thunder367 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dtbn/episodes/player

just seen thsis on bbc 2 uk tonights episode is from bangkok to hua hin

Great series, was on recently so tonight's episode is a repeat of probably a repeat.

Particularly liked this episode as I lived in Hua Hin for 5 years and had visited the palace both in Petchaburi and the one between Cha Am and Hua Hin. I have also stayed at the Centara Hotel (formerly Railway Hotel and Sofitel).

Like his style although may be not everyone's cup of tea.

46 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Michael Portillo is absolutely fantastic to watch.

I've watched the entire series. Well worth a watch, not just the episodes filmed in Thailand.

pity he wears his bloody strides so high,but I enjoyed his shows,loved the ones on India.

regards

grayray

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcfc2007 said:

Michael Portillo is absolutely fantastic to watch.

I've watched the entire series. Well worth a watch, not just the episodes filmed in Thailand.

Watched his shows all the time. 

The recent series in Canada was good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

I like the guy that does the BBC 2 travel ones, Simon Reeves on something. He's currently doing one on North America, 4th part tomorrow night. 

Watched a series of his recently when he was in Russia starting off in Vladivostok.......North Korean laborers chopping down trees

Chinese nationals running the Russian farm in that area...was a right eye opener.....

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

I like the guy that does the BBC 2 travel ones, Simon Reeves on something. He's currently doing one on North America, 4th part tomorrow night. 

11 minutes ago, Blue Streak said:

Watched a series of his recently when he was in Russia starting off in Vladivostok.......North Korean laborers chopping down trees

Chinese nationals running the Russian farm in that area...was a right eye opener.....

I'm currently watching his "Tropic of Cancer" series here in Thailand, very good informative series imo.

• Great Info 1

7 hours ago, thunder367 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dtbn/episodes/player

just seen thsis on bbc 2 uk tonights episode is from bangkok to hua hin

Excellent TV programme. The girl who guided him up the klongs of Bangkok was fit. 

Nice to see how the upper classes of the west lived also... Some of those old hotels were nice. Good informative presentation.. Wish there were more TV programmes like this. 

8 hours ago, Blue Streak said:

8 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I'm currently watching his "Tropic of Cancer" series here in Thailand, very good informative series imo.

Yea, any travel series I've watched by him has always been interesting and well worth a watch. 

Seen the Russian one, very good, and one from Turkey before that, also very good.

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

Thanks for that, I nearly took that train a couple of months ago so will enjoy watching it. I have it downloading now.

Good trip I have done it, piss cheap as well really no point paying for a taxi. Did a good circuit up to Kanchanaburi and down to Hua Hin last time I was over there.....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

Good trip I have done it, piss cheap as well really no point paying for a taxi. Did a good circuit up to Kanchanaburi and down to Hua Hin last time I was over there.....

How long was the train journey mate?

5 minutes ago, boydeste said:

How long was the train journey mate?

I didn’t go to HH direct from Bkk but I think that’s about 3-4 hours. From Kanchanaburi I had to change trains at a place called Nong Pla Duk and I think the total journey was around 4-5 hours or something like that, didn’t bother me really as I was in no rush and couldn’t check into my hotel in HH till 2pm anyway. In all honesty I quite like taking the train with the locals as it feels more like a bit more of an adventure even if it isn’t really.

9B505841-0334-4D8E-8D38-79CA50AE7445.jpeg

E3E2B242-8531-411C-9B8B-78058DE3A2D1.jpeg

• Like 1

If things are back to normal next year we will be doing a cruise from Australia to Singapore and then I have been planning for awhile to do this train trip:

Tuesday 6th April 2021:‬
‪2: 10:10 Johor Bahru Sentral to Gemas 14:54 (12go.asia 12 months in advance)‬
‪ETS: 15:10 Gemas to Kuala Lumpur 17:34 (12go.asia 12 months in advance)‬
‪Stay overnight Kuala Lumpur‬

‪Wednesday 7th April 2021:‬
‪ETS: 10:04 Kuala Lumpur to Padang Besar 15:55 (not sure when ETS tickets are released ktmtrain.com looks like 90 days in advance)‬
‪46: 18:00 Padang Besar to Hua Hin 06:05 (Thairailwayticket.com 90 days in advance)‬
‪Overnight on train‬

‪Thursday 8th April 2021:‬
‪Hua Hin overnight‬

‪Friday 9th April 2021:‬
‪40: 16:01 Hua Hin to Bangkok 19:45 (Thairailwayticket.com 90 days in advance)‬
‪51: 22:00 Bangkok to Chiang Mai 12:10 (Thairailwayticket.com 90 days in advance)‬
‪Overnight on train‬

‪Saturday 10th April 2021:‬
‪Chiang Mai overnight‬

‪Sunday 11th April 2021:‬
‪Nok Air DD8622: 14:10 Chiang Mai to Udon Thani 15:15‬

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

If things are back to normal next year we will be doing a cruise from Australia to Singapore and then I have been planning for awhile to do this train trip:

I was hoping to do some of that last month before things came unstuck.  Joining at KL and stopping off for a few days in Penang before terminating at Bangkok.  Had about a week and a half between leaving KL and digs booked in Pattaya so was just going to play it by ear how long we stayed anywhere.

Edited by KWA
  • Like 1