Current Road Works Pattaya (Threads Merged)

Bazle

35 minutes ago, bob lt said:

It's great to remove the power poles but why do they leave a 4 inch stub of concrete with a bit of rebar sticking up to catch the unwary?

I take it you're referring to this stub of concrete in your earlier pic. I believe that is the base for the yet to be installed electric junction box for the buried utility lines.

IMG_20221205_144404.jpg

9 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I take it you're referring to this stub of concrete in your earlier pic. I believe that is the base for the yet to be installed electric junction box for the buried utility lines.

IMG_20221205_144404.jpg

No,  not my pic. I do know that is foundation for a junction box.

I have seen several posts that appear to have been jack hammered leaving an uneven stump. I'm not in pattaya at present so don't have evidence. 

But sorry folks......I think not...........

They are already pouring the concrete....So that means they got the walkway looking just how they want it to look....

Loads and Loads and Loads of F...ing Palm trees concrete and that's it.....Zero creativity....Yes they just started...But I expect no better...

• Thumbs Up 4

Aside from the rainy season, why the construction has to be halted at night is a mystery to me. Pattaya is in a warm tropical climate and work going on at night should be mandatory to finish up these projects in a more timely and efficient manner. Maybe halting any of the major work needed with the heavy equipment machinery, due to any noise ordinances I can understand, but the work on improving the beach and sois, especially the side sois, should be going on through the night with a graveyard shift. Maybe in doing the tasks that can be done by hand or with tools to advance the projects along.

Or is this already the case with some of the refurbishments going on around town? 

Just wondering, as much of this crap seems to have been going on for MONTHS and in much of the roadworks, you are only dealing with a single lane road and not some massive 5 or 6 lane superhighway. Work on these sections of roadworks should have been completed within WEEKS from what I can see through the photos being posted here.

Am I wrong?

• Like 1

They tried to do this with an electric machine last week. Then, as it obviously didn't work, and it's Sunday, today they were back....

20221218_111802.jpg

20221218_111850.jpg

My best guess is they are making sure the cube connecting "caverns" are separated from the concrete road, presumably to allow them to settle and sink, meaning the water will run down the drain better than it currently does....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Painter said:

They tried to do this with an electric machine last week. Then, as it obviously didn't work, and it's Sunday, today they were back....

20221218_111802.jpg

20221218_111850.jpg

My best guess is they are making sure the cube connecting "caverns" are separated from the concrete road, presumably to allow them to settle and sink, meaning the water will run down the drain better than it currently does....

Think that's probably an expansion joint. The metal grate expands and contracts at a different rate than the surrounding concrete road surface. With the joint, only the small bit of concrete around the grate may crack rather than the rest of the road surface.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/17/2022 at 7:38 PM, fforest said:

Maybe the new beach walkway will look like this...

A lush linear park on Cortez Hill, called Tweet Street, has become more and more beautiful with the help of community volunteers!

Or maybe this

1701 RI Ave — ParkerRodriguez

Or maybe this

Bench Under Tree Park Stock Photo 1245822826 | Shutterstock

Or maybe this

Outdoor Fountains | Water Features | Fire Fountains by Aquascape

Or maybe this

Water Features — Outdoor Elements

I will say one more thing about the walkway...

It was clear the promenade needed replacing after the drain work in 2019...So they had 2020, 2021, and 2022 to formulate some super fantastic walkway design....

I spent, I think 5 minutes pulling these pictures from Google for new design possibilities on the promenade...Do these guys even understand how to do a Google image search? Something like (greatest parks in the world)

3 years and a fat budget to create something amazing, what we are seeing so far, is very very far from amazing....

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

2 minutes ago, fforest said:

I will say one more thing about the walkway...

It was clear the promenade needed replacing after the drain work in 2019...So they had 2020, 2021, and 2022 to formulate some super fantastic walkway design....

I spent, I think 5 minutes pulling these pictures from Google for new design possibilities on the promenade...Do these guys even understand how to do a Google image search? Something like (greatest parks in the world)

3 years and a fat budget to create something amazing, what we are seeing so far, is very very far from amazing....

And you are still amazed by that. TiT.

8 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Think that's probably an expansion joint. The metal grate expands and contracts at a different rate than the surrounding concrete road surface. With the joint, only the small bit of concrete around the grate may crack rather than the rest of the road surface.

You're probably right....

This afternoon the kettle of tar, and a bucket of something to "smarten" the grates were out...

20221218_170034.jpg

20221218_170058.jpg

• Like 3

The Thepprasit cluster f**k gets worse. We were warned that there would be serious delays due to resurfacing, and there have been. Coming back home from Jomtien yesterday afternoon I saw that the resurfacing had been done almost as far as the (still-closed) Kaan theatre. This morning I wanted to head out to Suk from Soi 8, well east of the Kaan, so the road works should all be done. My mistake, they've now decided to completely dig up a stretch of the resurfaced road around the Soi Kopai junction, so Thepprasit was back down to just one lane with the resulting traffic jams. Heading back via South Pattaya Road, that also seemed to be crawling along all the way from Suk. Pattaya's becoming like that town in the 1960's TV series 'The Prisoner', you can enter but you can never leave as you'll be permanently stuck in traffic jams, lol. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

The Thepprasit cluster f**k gets worse. We were warned that there would be serious delays due to resurfacing, and there have been. Coming back home from Jomtien yesterday afternoon I saw that the resurfacing had been done almost as far as the (still-closed) Kaan theatre. This morning I wanted to head out to Suk from Soi 8, well east of the Kaan, so the road works should all be done. My mistake, they've now decided to completely dig up a stretch of the resurfaced road around the Soi Kopai junction, so Thepprasit was back down to just one lane with the resulting traffic jams. Heading back via South Pattaya Road, that also seemed to be crawling along all the way from Suk. Pattaya's becoming like that town in the 1960's TV series 'The Prisoner', you can enter but you can never leave as you'll be permanently stuck in traffic jams, lol. 

The lyrics from Hotel California come to mind...

Last thing I remember, I was Running for the door I had to find the passage back To the place I was before "Relax, " said the night man "We are programmed to receive You can check out any time you like But you can never leave"

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2022 at 3:16 AM, Mr. Smooth said:

Aside from the rainy season, why the construction has to be halted at night is a mystery to me. Pattaya is in a warm tropical climate and work going on at night should be mandatory to finish up these projects in a more timely and efficient manner. Maybe halting any of the major work needed with the heavy equipment machinery, due to any noise ordinances I can understand, but the work on improving the beach and sois, especially the side sois, should be going on through the night with a graveyard shift. Maybe in doing the tasks that can be done by hand or with tools to advance the projects along.

Or is this already the case with some of the refurbishments going on around town? 

Just wondering, as much of this crap seems to have been going on for MONTHS and in much of the roadworks, you are only dealing with a single lane road and not some massive 5 or 6 lane superhighway. Work on these sections of roadworks should have been completed within WEEKS from what I can see through the photos being posted here.

Am I wrong?

Stop applying Western logic to the job mate!

They are probably on an hourly rate, so no incentive to finish the job quickly. Lol.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Haha 1