The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

Jambo is correcto mundo. Cut down carbs seriously, shake your booty a little bit, and the fat will melt away. 

But go about it wisely, reasonably, yet stay consistant with it. Allow yourself a treat (or bad day) now and then, but get right back on the program. 

-------------------------------------------

I had taken four days off from lifting, although I did my regular cardio work out each day.

The rest days paid dividends. It allowed the muscles to fully repair. Today I was able to really crank. I could really notice the benefits of the timely rest period.

Proper rest is critical with lifting. Not only between sets, but after a consistent period of lifting a few days off (but not too many) contributes substantially to your development.

• Thumbs Up 2

Be careful of high protein diets - it can cause blood glucose levels to increase. I went on a high protein diet quite a while ago and after my annual physical, my doctor told me that all my results were great except for my blood sugar level. I told her about my diet and her response was that the high level was due to glucogenesis.

She recommended that I reduce my protein intake.

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

My cardiologist told me that protein is what anybody with a heart condition should be concentrating on. I have upped my protein and really lowered my carb intake. I will normally have my carbs mostly in the morning.

Thing is some want muscle mass as well and up their carbs, but I like looking puny so go for a higher protein ratio. Saying that, I may join a gym this week so may need more carbs in my diet but will try to concentrate on complex carbs when eating.

I have chia seeds on my Greek yoghurt and muesli.  Have health benefits as below:https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/health-benefits-chia-seeds

Added to my muesli this morning.IMG20231211101447.jpg

On 12/8/2023 at 8:07 AM, Jambo said:

Just to continue the subject of bollocks.

When I was 36 I had a vasectomy at a clinic in the West End of London. I remember I was one of three guys in a sort of conveyor belt and we were all as nervous as hell but trying to put on a brave face.

When it was over and my dick had decided not to completely disappear I was full of relief and nervous energy. Absolutely no pain ( still full of local anesthetic I suppose) and being a beautiful summers day I decided to walk through the West End and pick up my direct tube line at Leicester Square.

Walked another 10 minutes at the other end still feeling no pain. Decided to change from my suit into something more comfortable only to find to my horror that my boxers were full of blood me having pulled the stitches. I had been told not to drive to and from the clinic (nowhere to park anyway) but I ended up driving to Barnet General for the amusement of everyone I told of my predicament.

Basically they all thought I was behaving like a big girls blouse.

In my youth, I worked in a nearby hospital. 
The surgeons that did vasectomies usually did them in one theatre on a Thursday morning and I knew exactly who was about to go under the scalpel, because they were all sat in a row waiting for their turn outside the anaesthetic room with a worried look on their faces and their hands between their legs. 🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, KhunDon said:

In my youth, I worked in a nearby hospital. 
The surgeons that did vasectomies usually did them in one theatre on a Thursday morning and I knew exactly who was about to go under the scalpel, because they were all sat in a row waiting for their turn outside the anaesthetic room with a worried look on their faces and their hands between their legs. 🤣

I swear this is true.

I had my vasectomy in this posh family planning clinic in the West End of London. I cannot remember what the period was but a couple of weeks or so after the snips you had to get the sperm count checked.

They sent me a specimen jar and some crystals to put in the jar to keep the ejaculate company. The instructions included a warning that the deposit must not be deposited by mouth. Two chances of that happening....." None and f**k all"

They had provided a label with a reference number and my name and an instruction to deliver the specimen jar within a certain number of hours. I arrive at the clinic to find a queue to the Reception desk made up of all women and me. I was embarrassed because everyone would know what was in the jar held in my hand. I noticed there was a couple of trays on the Reception desk and one held specimen jars. So I skipped the queue and added my jar to the others and did a smart exit.

Two days later my jar came back to me in the post.

I must have put it in the "Out Tray".

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, richy65 said:

I think there’s a fashion for cutting carbs now but complex carbs like pasta, brown rice and porridge are important for glycogen to supply energy. That’s my opinion as a long time distance runner but I’m no expert. 

There are good and bad carbs with the latter being all too evident in the western diet.

I am reintroducing all three of the above back into my regular meals along with sugar free muesli simply because I miss eating muesli.

I have been having porridge for brecky this week. First time for almost a year and really enjoying.

My carnivore diet was the basis for losing a lot of weight before my hip replacement but all that red meat for the last 9 months must be one of the main causes of my cholesterol increase and thus my recent heart episode.

Sometimes, you just cannot seem to win.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2

1 hour ago, richy65 said:

I think there’s a fashion for cutting carbs now but complex carbs like pasta, brown rice and porridge are important for glycogen to supply energy. That’s my opinion as a long time distance runner but I’m no expert. 

You need energy as a long distance runner and complex carbs are wonderfully suited to supply that energy. The glycogen is good to keep the muscles fueled and allow you to run.

A couch potato trying to lose weight would do well to cut down the amount of carbs in his diet but should he need energy to get off the couch, those complex carbs might benefit him just as well as an increase in protein and good fats.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

You need energy as a long distance runner and complex carbs are wonderfully suited to supply that energy. The glycogen is good to keep the muscles fueled and allow you to run.

A couch potato trying to lose weight would do well to cut down the amount of carbs in his diet but should he need energy to get off the couch, those complex carbs might benefit him just as well as an increase in protein and good fats.

Yes, it’s all about calories consumed. A 10 mile run will burn around 1000 calories and I was doing at least that every day years ago and it becomes virtually impossible to eat enough to put on weight.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Jambo said:

There are good and bad carbs with the latter being all too evident in the western diet.

I am reintroducing all three of the above back into my regular meals along with sugar free muesli simply because I miss eating muesli.

I have been having porridge for brecky this week. First time for almost a year and really enjoying.

My carnivore diet was the basis for losing a lot of weight before my hip replacement but all that red meat for the last 9 months must be one of the main causes of my cholesterol increase and thus my recent heart episode.

Sometimes, you just cannot seem to win.

It's all about balance, not always easy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jambo said:

I swear this is true.

I had my vasectomy in this posh family planning clinic in the West End of London. I cannot remember what the period was but a couple of weeks or so after the snips you had to get the sperm count checked.

They sent me a specimen jar and some crystals to put in the jar to keep the ejaculate company. The instructions included a warning that the deposit must not be deposited by mouth. Two chances of that happening....." None and f**k all"

They had provided a label with a reference number and my name and an instruction to deliver the specimen jar within a certain number of hours. I arrive at the clinic to find a queue to the Reception desk made up of all women and me. I was embarrassed because everyone would know what was in the jar held in my hand. I noticed there was a couple of trays on the Reception desk and one held specimen jars. So I skipped the queue and added my jar to the others and did a smart exit.

Two days later my jar came back to me in the post.

I must have put it in the "Out Tray".

You are incorrigible, any excuse to pull one off. 
You should be ashamed of yourself. 🤣

• Haha 3

Just got back from the urologist, for all the pain of trying to get through on the phone, the service inside was phenomenal. Was called almost ASAP, sat down with the doctor, answered a few questions, laid down, dropped my pants….over in 5 seconds! Still going to have a scan in February, but he immediately said it appears to be this…I am relieved I guess, but even if it’s benign I still want my left nut to shrink back to what I was born with! 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spermatocele

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2023 at 11:40 PM, richy65 said:

Yes, it’s all about calories consumed. A 10 mile run will burn around 1000 calories and I was doing at least that every day years ago and it becomes virtually impossible to eat enough to put on weight.

Yes. 

When I lost a lot of fat (40 lbs. of it in a year) it was primarily two things.

Cutting down on total caloric intake and increasing physical activity. 

Rougly 1 pound per week (is safe). I put on muscle weight but lost fat.

Example - drinking two beers instead of six per day. That's 28 fewer beers per week. That's a lot of calories dropped.

I ate what I wanted to eat, but watched the portion sizes. Tried to eat balanced, but didn't over think it.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/10-superfoods-to-boost-a-healthy-diet-2018082914463

Edited by Glasseye
  • Great Info 1

On 12/13/2023 at 12:23 AM, Golfingboy said:

Just got back from the urologist, for all the pain of trying to get through on the phone, the service inside was phenomenal. Was called almost ASAP, sat down with the doctor, answered a few questions, laid down, dropped my pants….over in 5 seconds! Still going to have a scan in February, but he immediately said it appears to be this…I am relieved I guess, but even if it’s benign I still want my left nut to shrink back to what I was born with! 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spermatocele

Just posted on this, and my experience.

Once had a mate whos balls grew to the size of a catalope. 

It's probably more common actually than most people realize. Not something typically shared with when out with your drinking buddies.

Stock up on a good jock strap (and ice packs). Download a bunch of movies and get a carton of tylenol. Get ready for a two week stint on your couch. Oh, and if they give you oxycotin to help you get through the first few days of pain, get yourself some laxitives.

Might as well have them give you "the snip" when they are down there slicing your ballsack open. 2 for 1 special.

It may take months or even years, but be assured.....it will continue to get bigger. 

• Great Info 1

OMFG…Mom is just now putting together a photo album for both grandsons…I opened it up and what do I find ? My nephew’s baptism, I was the real “Godfather” for a day 😂

Not bragging, but if only they had Tinder back in 1997…..I like to think I would have got a few swipes, no?

Cruel reality I learned in my golf game as well-there is no substitute for youth

IMG_0180.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Surprised 1

17 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

OMFG…Mom is just now putting together a photo album for both grandsons…I opened it up and what do I find ? My nephew’s baptism, I was the real “Godfather” for a day 😂

Not bragging, but if only they had Tinder back in 1997…..I like to think I would have got a few swipes, no?

Cruel reality I learned in my golf game as well-there is no substitute for youth

IMG_0180.jpeg

The kid seems to be thinking; Your my older brother Fredo, and I love you but don't ever take sides against the family. Ever.

• Haha 1

My gal pal "Ching" 31 years old, paralegal here and works 30 hours per week out of her home.  "Sung" (tall) nice body for sure. 

Tells me she is "sick" of Thai guys...works well for perhaps one of you LOL! 

Once again, shown pics of her and her friends " dolled up" for night time fun....outstanding. 

IMG_0257 (1).jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Yessongs said:

My gal pal "Ching" 31 years old, paralegal here and works 30 hours per week out of her home.  "Sung" (tall) nice body for sure. 

Tells me she is "sick" of Thai guys...works well for perhaps one of you LOL! 

Once again, shown pics of her and her friends " dolled up" for night time fun....outstanding. 

IMG_0257 (1).jpg

I would be more than happy to have her assist me with some of my legal documents. 

Although, it's doubful we would get very far with the paper work as I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off of her.

Yes, you are a dog.          :default_goodjob:

• Haha 1