What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

2 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Over all the years I went to Chinatown in BKK once. I swore that day I would never go back.

I fully understand mate, but my wife has an unerring sense of direction and knows every little shortcut to the exact stall/shop she needs to get to. 😉

I liked it as it’s was a bit of a change from HH and the relatively low pedestrian count in the streets around our home there. 
She also liked to “pop in” as she called it,  to chatuchak covered market for various purchases, but those trips were usually done early mornings to avoid the crowds and the heat. 👍

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

I fully understand mate, but my wife has an unerring sense of direction and knows every little shortcut to the exact stall/shop she needs to get to. 😉

I liked it as it’s was a bit of a change from HH and the relatively low pedestrian count in the streets around our home there. 
She also liked to “pop in” as she called it,  to chatuchak covered market for various purchases, but those trips were usually done early mornings to avoid the crowds and the heat. 👍

I've never been to Khao San Road in the near 37 years I have been going to Bangkok. Maybe one day.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

I understand mate. When I went it was a bad time of the day, hotter than hell, and I got a bit disoriented. 

If I remember correctly at the time there wasn't a BTS or MRT station near by and the traffic was horrific. I got kind of spoiled with BTS/MRT. If there wasn't a station within a reasonable distance to where I was going I rarely would go. Chiantown that day was an exception. I wanted to try the duck....lol

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

I understand mate. When I went it was a bad time of the day, hotter than hell, and I got a bit disoriented. 

If I remember correctly at the time there wasn't a BTS or MRT station near by and the traffic was horrific. I got kind of spoiled with BTS/MRT. If there wasn't a station within a reasonable distance to where I was going I rarely would go. Chiantown that day was an exception. I wanted to try the duck....lol

Another trick the wife uses is when she sees something in a stall then she usually asks for the wholesalers card for the item and they are usually happy to give that information to her. 
She then contacts the wholesalers and buys the items a lot cheaper, especially if she’s going to buy them in large amounts. 
She bought those incense cones in different fragrances by the thousands and various other things like silk scarves of various sizes and ships them back to the UK when she has a large enough shipment.
Then she sells them to UK shops in the area of our home here at large profits, who, in turn, flog them to the public at a stupid markup. 
Everyone’s happy. 🤣

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I've never been to Khao San Road in the near 37 years I have been going to Bangkok. Maybe one day.

Wife took me one evening and it was pissing down with rain. Tried to get a taxi on the main road and all of a sudden the traffic stopped and police were everywhere! 
It turned out it was his late majesty and his 36 car entourage coming through, so everything had to stop as they passed. 
Personally, you’ve not missed much mate and I’d not have bothered going had I known that there was bugger all of any interest there. 😟

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Binlid said:

Just got home from work to a letter from the hospital. I will at long last be having a double arthroscopy on my knees on 21st of December, a temporary fix before an inevitable half or whole knee replacement in the future. Anybody any experience of this procedure and its outcome?

I had it done on my right knee, they cleaned out floating cartilage, removed a cist and generally trimmed other ripped cartilage. 

A fairly simple procedure, the recovery took a few weeks of building the strength back up.

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Watching a crime show on SamsungTV, about an honour killing of a Coventry 🇬🇧 woman in India. Maybe some BM are familiar with it? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Surjit_Athwal

Had many friends from this community, good people, hard workers(I think in 20 years they will be 90%+++ of truck drivers)…..but I can never condone this shite….Shame to the family is solved by murdering a young lady? Can’t get behind that sorry….had a similar case in Vancouver, family basically imprisoned a 22 year old lady. When she went to India, fell in love with a poor cabbie, eloped…they thought they killed them both, he barely survived, and was framed for rape and jailed

Never underestimate the influence of rich people…..our cops know what happened but they avoided prosecution for years

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Jaswinder_Kaur_Sidhu

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Surprised 1

10 hours ago, Glasseye said:

But, there are certainly many, many folks who prefer to have some assistance in going through the legalities and processing for such an important document.

I don't doubt that if I was in Chonburi, Bangkok or Phuket I would hire an agent.  There are no agents to hire in the places I've lived because the IOs don't arbitrarily make it difficult, so agents aren't needed.

Edited by tko
spelling
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, thegrogmonster said:

Interested to hear how it goes as I will be doing mine at the end of March in Udon Thani. The wife assures me it will be easy so naturally I am planning for a total f**k up.

I did mine in Pranburi and the test was a complete shambles. I didn’t have to do the theory crap, just a couple of the practical shit tests.
I’m colour blind and couldn’t see different colours in a huge spot chart on the wall when the guy pointed them out. However, both the wife and I had twigged that the instructor chappy had the hots for me, so the wife told me to give him 200 Baht and wink at him, which worked and I left with a shiny new Driving Licence and a new friend for life. 😉

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

After a rough night (fireworks, etc.). I had a great day.

Nothing special, just the timing of a few little moments, the kind that make you smile. The smiles that last all day, cling to your soul, and will stick within my slowly fading memories that we try so hard to hold onto.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I fully agree with Glasseye in that you should be well dressed. I usually wear slacks and a decent shirt to go to immigration. I even got a nod from the stone faced old boot in Jomtien which made my day.

You can now book an appointment for Jomtien saving joining the snake outside.

https://outlook.office365.com/book/[email protected]/

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

12 minutes ago, karon steve said:

I fully agree with Glasseye in that you should be well dressed. I usually wear slacks and a decent shirt to go to immigration. I even got a nod from the stone faced old boot in Jomtien which made my day.

You can now book an appointment for Jomtien saving joining the snake outside.

https://outlook.office365.com/book/[email protected]/

Waiting on the Dept of Land Transport to bring their online appointment booking to the location we have to use living in Pattaya. That will save one long trip out there just to book a time to come back on another day.

Just booked flight from Barcelona to bkk ,worked out around 600 800 euros cheaper than flying from Scotland,just under 1000 euros with Emirates,good connection times,so pleased with that,asked my company to book the Barcelona to aberdeen leg mid jan ,as they would be booking that flight in 3 weeks time anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Just had my latest Covid Jab. 🤗

I got in the car and warning came up that several tyres were under inflated! (why not tell me just how many and which feckin tyres are low?) but drove there anyway, it’s only 2 miles and got there and back safely. 
There’s always something or other to f**k up my day. 😡

Just about to put some of my wife’s beautiful, home made duck spring rolls into the hot air cooker, they’ll be ready in 10 minutes, just enough time to cut up some cucumber and dish up some sweet chilli sauce to accompany them. When I’ve had them, all will be right with the World again. 🤗

Edited by KhunDon
  • Thumbs Up 5

16 minutes ago, Krapow said:

What a trip, absolutely spectacular in all sorts of ways. 

Magical!

Northern Lights and Santa seen, driven husky and reindeer sledges, loads more.

Exhilarating!

Absolutely bloody magnificent mate!!

I love how you can see both girls' happiness shining through their eyes.

Well done mate, you deserve all the enjoyment you are having now !!

Wonderful family !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1