Painting & Decorating my house exterior - Have we got any BM's with experience in this trade ?

Pumpuynarak

Now i'm shortly gonna need my house exterior painted, its the Thai traditional rendered walls. I'm no painter/Dec and never do myself so i have no experience. When painting should a primer/undercoat be first applied then 1 or 2 coats of top coat ? I previously have had done by way of a recco from friends but i'm not convinced the correct process is followed as i'm seeing signs of wear ie not enough paint being applied.

Many thanks guys for any help.

P1000670.JPG

I am no painter, so I am just guessing, all paint jobs starts with a cleaning of the surface. A normal high pressure water hose should be enough for this. Don't sand blast the facade as that would just remove the render. After cleaning, inspect the facade and fill any cracks and holes with a bit of plaster (or cement or pollyfilla or maybe even toothpaste). Then add primer and finally paint. How many layers you need, I don't know.

EDIT: But don't take my words for it - as I said, I am just guessing.

Edited by Lirchenfeld
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Lirchenfeld said:

I am no painter, so I am just guessing, all paint jobs starts with a cleaning of the surface. A normal high pressure water hose should be enough for this. Don't sand blast the facade as that would just remove the render. After cleaning, inspect the facade and fill any cracks and holes with a bit of plaster (or cement or pollyfilla or maybe even toothpaste). Then add primer and finally paint. How many layers you need, I don't know.

EDIT: But don't take my words for it - as I said, I am just guessing.

Thanks Lirch, i'm finding it sooooooooooo difficult to get any tradesman in Thailand that you can trust to do a professional job. I like to employ tradesmen that i can just let them get on with the work with confidence that they know what they are doing and will do it properly.

Perhaps i'm just dreaming lol. In the UK i had school friends/mates who were all self employed time served tradesmen in every building trade so it was never a problem getting quality work done and i never got ripped off and then i came to Thailand....................🤨

You only need to use primer on bare plaster or cement to stop it absorbing too much paint and provide a good grip between the paint and the surface. So any repairs that are needed should be primed, but for the rest you can just paint a new coat straight onto the old paint once it's been cleaned. What I don't like about the way they do it here is that they insist on thinning down the paint by at least 50% before using it. Yes, this makes it much easier to apply with a roller, but it doesn't last as long as undiluted or only slightly-diluted paint. Thinning it down for use indoors is OK in my view as there's not usually a lot of weathering going on inside your house, but for outdoors use I'd prefer to keep it as undiluted as possible, or tell them to give it two or three coats. I'm not a pro, just my own views based on what people have done for me in my house over the last 12 years and a lot of experience over decades decorating my own properties back in Wales and Scotland.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Now i'm shortly gonna need my house exterior painted,

I would wait until after the rainy season and start work in the cold season...

3 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I previously have had done by way of a recco from friends

Start driving around the area and stop to actually WATCH teams working and do follow up visits to see how their work has lasted.

Your walls are open to sun and rain damage so the first thing I would do is remove the trees you have and replace them with the "fan" style palm trees .. Personally I find them very attractive and it provides excellent shade beyond the second floor.

I would also dig up the lawn to grow spuds so perhaps I'm not the best person to listen to !!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, richy65 said:

Any bare render needs a stabilising solution then 2 coats of a good quality breathable masonry paint. Use a fungicidal wash on any mould etc. ( I’ve got over 40 years experience in the trade)

I think you are suggesting water based. As mentioned earlier Thais do tend to add a lot of water, for interior painting it does seem to work so why argue. But for external walls is this something to worry about?

The stabilising solution, is it a primer or just watered down top coat?

• Like 1

the heat here combined with some shite paint means that first run your hands over the paint.  if any dust like chalk comes off.  you defo need it to be keyed with a primer first

first pant coat is what we used to cal a piss coat, thinned down, second   full on

if youa re local I have a bloke is very good and works with me

also check for cracks.  they are NOT subsidence but in the cement finish .. i u have them, they need to be filled first and NOT with pant as paint has zero filler property

18 yrs, 4 houses here..  been there and got the t shirt

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

You only need to use primer on bare plaster or cement to stop it absorbing too much paint and provide a good grip between the paint and the surface. So any repairs that are needed should be primed, but for the rest you can just paint a new coat straight onto the old paint once it's been cleaned. What I don't like about the way they do it here is that they insist on thinning down the paint by at least 50% before using it. Yes, this makes it much easier to apply with a roller, but it doesn't last as long as undiluted or only slightly-diluted paint. Thinning it down for use indoors is OK in my view as there's not usually a lot of weathering going on inside your house, but for outdoors use I'd prefer to keep it as undiluted as possible, or tell them to give it two or three coats. I'm not a pro, just my own views based on what people have done for me in my house over the last 12 years and a lot of experience over decades decorating my own properties back in Wales and Scotland.

that first coat s the piss coat.  we did it with cars too.  its supposed to and does soak into the now dried and absorbent old coat.  its essential.  after that, 1 or 2 coats of GOOD quality paint, berger or top of the range TOA and you are good to go

a lttle detail to bore you.. when yo paint you create skin which is non permeable but over time here becomes dried, dusty and absorbent.  paint from the can paint is not a good ide as it wot soak in and bind properly, later it will peal.  as an example, if you paint a car bumper, you use whats called etch primer first, to KEY into the old finish and plastic

keying the paint is the most important issue.  f it doesnt key, bind, with the old, it will look good for a year

• Great Info 1

2 hours ago, Zambo said:

I think you are suggesting water based. As mentioned earlier Thais do tend to add a lot of water, for interior painting it does seem to work so why argue. But for external walls is this something to worry about?

The stabilising solution, is it a primer or just watered down top coat?

The stabilising solution is a separate paint, usually a clear primer. Going by what we use in the UK such as Dulux Weathershield they shouldn't need to thin it very much, 50% sounds ridiculous

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Now i'm shortly gonna need my house exterior painted, its the Thai traditional rendered walls. I'm no painter/Dec and never do myself so i have no experience. When painting should a primer/undercoat be first applied then 1 or 2 coats of top coat ? I previously have had done by way of a recco from friends but i'm not convinced the correct process is followed as i'm seeing signs of wear ie not enough paint being applied.

Many thanks guys for any help.

P1000670.JPG

Take care as I believe that officially you need a work permit to paint your own house as you would be depriving a Thai National from earning an honest living.

You will probably be OK if you have not upset any of your neighbors enough that they report you to Immigration.

I spent 2 months painting the whole of the outside of our house in Bangsaray before my (extended) trip to the UK including all the walls and fences. It was not in too bad condition and the bulk of the preparation work involved filling in cracks etc and a certain amount of sanding and very limited use of primer. Two coats of quality paint and I was very pleased with the end result. The biggest and most annoying problem was uplifting and temporary moving all the plants and shrubs to get at the exterior walls.

A word of advice.

We farlangs are not used to any kind of manual work out in the sun in Thailand. Even in the shade it does not take long for the heat to make life very uncomfortable. In the sun, and you will not be able to avoid working at some stages in the sun, is a killer. My solution was to start work as soon as it was light enough to see what I was doing and stop as soon as I could not take it any longer. I then came out again for an hour or so every evening.

That also has the advantage of limiting the number of pissed off at farlang Thai painters who see you up a ladder with a paint brush in your hand.

Good luck. I really enjoyed doing some real work for a change.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, Jambo said:

A word of advice.

We farlangs are not used to any kind of manual work out in the sun in Thailand. Even in the shade it does not take long for the heat to make life very uncomfortable. In the sun, and you will not be able to avoid working at some stages in the sun, is a killer. My solution was to start work as soon as it was light enough to see what I was doing and stop as soon as I could not take it any longer. I then came out again for an hour or so every evening.

Thanks for the advice D. There's more chance of me pissing in our Kings pocket than me painting the house lol. I've never painted any house i've owned as i had qualified mates to do. I very quickly realised after i arrived  in Thailand that manual work out in the sun and heat was a deffo no no for me. I used to love doing my garden in the UK but here i just have a gardener come in two times a month.

• Like 1

Just now, Pumpuynarak said:

With me holding the ladder and her wearing her skimpy denim shorts, just for safety purposes of course lol 

Oh! Don't put thoughts into my head mate. I'm just off to my bed. 

Just prepare everything as advised by yourself and then have a lovely Thai guy do it for you. Jobs a good one! 

Red and white stripes would be a good option lol! 

• Haha 1

I like the color you currently have Cliff, any plans for a change or should I ask you "Does Wifey have any plans to change it"? LOL! 

One other thing Cliff, can you please follow proper Thai etiquette, and from now on, please park your SUV properly, as in backing it into your driveway? DO NOT continue to do it as I see in this picture or I will report you immediately to the local "junta" 💪 LOL!

As you can see, the Thais are so "ingrained" into their culture, even wifey started doing that to my SUV back home. I quickly fixed that................believe me. 

IMG_2212.JPG

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

I like the color you currently have Cliff, any plans for a change or should I ask you "Does Wifey have any plans to change it"? LOL! 

One other thing Cliff, can you please follow proper Thai etiquette, and from now on, please park your SUV properly, as in backing it into your driveway? DO NOT continue to do it as I see in this picture or I will report you immediately to the local "junta" 💪 LOL!

As you can see, the Thais are so "ingrained" into their culture, even wifey started doing that to my SUV back home. I quickly fixed that................believe me. 

IMG_2212.JPG

I'm planning on having it painted exactly the same colour Mike and guess who picked it 4 years ago ? and it won't be getting changed this time by wifey, she still likes the colour that she chose lol

F****** funny you talk about the car on the drive, i insist we park nose first as wifey in common with most lady drivers has a problem reversing the car and i don't want the house demolished lol. Reversing out into the road is a far better solution for wifey as we live in a cul-de-sac and its in the main free from traffic. I kid you not about wifey's reversing problem, on many occasions when we're out, she's driving but i have to reverse the car if the space is somewhat restrictive lol

I must give her some reversing lessons...... 

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I'm planning on having it painted exactly the same colour Mike and guess who picked it 4 years ago ? and it won't be getting changed this time by wifey, she still likes the colour that she chose lol

F****** funny you talk about the car on the drive, i insist we park nose first as wifey in common with most lady drivers has a problem reversing the car and i don't want the house demolished lol. Reversing out into the road is a far better solution for wifey as we live in a cul-de-sac and its in the main free from traffic. I kid you not about wifey's reversing problem, on many occasions when we're out, she's driving but i have to reverse the car if the space is somewhat restrictive lol

I must give her some reversing lessons...... 

It is not only Thai lady drivers who cannot reverse. How my youngest daughter passed her test first time, or any time, is a mystery to me.

A week after passing her test I bought her and her older sister a new wee Citroen car because they were offering free insurance for young drivers with full no claims bonus after two years. One week after that she managed to do significant damage to the Citroen and another car she drove into at Edinburgh's Ice rink.

Six months later, whilst reversing off our driveway she caught the front "bumper" on a gate post and pulled it off.

Some time later the house opposite us had a builders skip outside. They marked it with a couple of cones and even a light at either end. That did not stop daughter driving off our driveway again and managing somehow to hit it.

The car was sold when the end of the two years free insurance was looming by when they both had boyfriends with cars.

My daughter drives me regularly now whilst I am semi incapacitated. Her driving has improved significantly over the years  but she still changes gears at the speed of light and I often close my eyes as she hurtles into most every corner.

Women drivers...............you have to love'em! 😄

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, Jambo said:

Women drivers...............you have to love'em! 😄

I was parked outside my mates house in the UK when a woman who lived opposite got into her car on her driveway and just reversed straight into the side of my car on the opposite side of the road to her house and by god did she do some damage, she was'nt hanging about lol

I was'nt that bothered as it was my other half's car not one of my lovely cars, it was still driveable and it was repaired a couple of weeks later.

Driving in the main is not for the women but i have come across some real good women drivers, like 1 or 2 in my life lol

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1
  • Surprised 1