Change is as good as a rest...maybe. Change of habits.

Butch

I may have to change my habits now. Instead of 1 or 2 trips per year to LOS and 1 to the RP, I'm going to have to switch to the RP for what I think is a valid reason and would be interested to hear thoughts on it.

Basically, I am about 2 years off early retirement, finances are satisfactory. My only other commitment is putting my daughter through Uni which has already been paid for by way of a trust set up for her by my Dad.

My situation is that my Mrs wants to continue working, I take early retirement at 55 (God willing) and live in the RP at our house.

However, my next few trips need to be to the RP living the life of a normal person (not in Holiday mode) to see if I can adapt to it. I can freely travel to LOS in that time should I wish to, but that might defeat the object of seeing if I can cope with living in the RP under certain conditions.

Am I doing the right thing? It seems sensible to me. Question being, would you do the same?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Butch said:

living the life of a normal person (not in Holiday mode) to see if I can adapt to it.

I tell you one thing mate. I will be going through a similar transition here. I have mainly lived "in the village" until I moved to this spot about 10 years ago. "This Spot" being a little shanty town occupied by Isaan families....but we are getting evicted next year so I shall be moving into my condo and will start living life as a normal farang ...I am dreading it !!!!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, boydeste said:

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, we are all different and desire different things to fullfill our needs.

Go do what makes you happy and see how it pans out.

I couldn't have said it an better mate. Cheers !

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I tell you one thing mate. I will be going through a similar transition here. I have mainly lived "in the village" until I moved to this spot about 10 years ago. "This Spot" being a little shanty town occupied by Isaan families....but we are getting evicted next year so I shall be moving into my condo and will start living life as a normal farang ...I am dreading it !!!!

Where will this be if you don't mind me asking? Living in a nice condo instead of a shantytown does not sound too bad for me, unless there are other reasons that you don't want to talk about here....which I understand. 

All the best to you in either case huh..

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Butch said:

I may have to change my habits now. Instead of 1 or 2 trips per year to LOS and 1 to the RP, I'm going to have to switch to the RP for what I think is a valid reason and would be interested to hear thoughts on it.

Basically, I am about 2 years off early retirement, finances are satisfactory. My only other commitment is putting my daughter through Uni which has already been paid for by way of a trust set up for her by my Dad.

My situation is that my Mrs wants to continue working, I take early retirement at 55 (God willing) and live in the RP at our house.

However, my next few trips need to be to the RP living the life of a normal person (not in Holiday mode) to see if I can adapt to it. I can freely travel to LOS in that time should I wish to, but that might defeat the object of seeing if I can cope with living in the RP under certain conditions.

Am I doing the right thing? It seems sensible to me. Question being, would you do the same?

Should be easy adapting I say,whats holiday mode lol,I dunno where the rp is ? forgive me I'm nighshift and my brains on a different plain,I wouldn't do the same as I like the balance between work and rest that 1 month on and off gives me,but if it suits u and you have had e ough  of working go for it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Yessongs said:

Where will this be if you don't mind me asking? Living in a nice condo instead of a shantytown does not sound too bad for me, unless there are other reasons that you don't want to talk about here....which I understand. 

All the best to you in either case huh..

It is a nice condo for sure and it has everything I need nearby but it is a complete change of lifestyle for me living among Farang ..

• Like 3
  • Great Info 2

46 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

Should be easy adapting I say,whats holiday mode lol,I dunno where the rp is ? forgive me I'm nighshift and my brains on a different plain,I wouldn't do the same as I like the balance between work and rest that 1 month on and off gives me,but if it suits u and you have had e ough  of working go for it.

RP got me puzzled as well.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

It is a nice condo for sure and it has everything I need nearby but it is a complete change of lifestyle for me living among Farang ..

I can appreciate what you're saying. Where you lived there's a strong sense of community in your neighborhood. IMHO, that is lost living in a condo.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

I can appreciate what you're saying. Where you lived there's a strong sense of community in your neighborhood. IMHO, that is lost living in a condo.

Bound to be some expat wankers in the condo block complaining about trivial things. But having said that there are bound to be some things like noise and use of shared areas that do need complaining about. I did stay in one block with a sense of community - but it does seem to be rare.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Well!! ...THAT cheered me up no end mate thanks !! Hahahahaha!!

One of my options was to move into rooms opposite where the pump is now but the owner said that they weren't going to rebuild them due to the floods too.....BUT during Thursday night's flooding there was a street meeting with some Government officials. They are gonna try re routing the storm trench culvert into the drainage system going a different way...

Maybe they will reconsider building the rooms. They'd be perfect !!

• Like 1

I retired 10 years ago at age 53, now 63y.o.

I think that Thailand was more accessible to travel to adjacent countries. Had a far better infrastructure. Better wider variety of food. The girls were sweet but they have changed of late understandable as l am an older man now.

As others have said its up to you but l agree a long stay as a tryout would be beneficial. Also you never said the nationality of your wife. That would possibly have a gactor in where best to stay. My wife is Thai and l need her language skills almost daily dealing with lifes challenges.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Captain_B said:

I retired 10 years ago at age 53, now 63y.o.

I think that Thailand was more accessible to travel to adjacent countries. Had a far better infrastructure. Better wider variety of food. The girls were sweet but they have changed of late understandable as l am an older man now.

As others have said its up to you but l agree a long stay as a tryout would be beneficial. Also you never said the nationality of your wife. That would possibly have a gactor in where best to stay. My wife is Thai and l need her language skills almost daily dealing with lifes challenges.

No doubt sometimes the language can be a bit challenging.

But, overall (high percentage of the time over many years) I have been able to accomplish the necessary communication (often with a good laugh from both sides).

Much of it is on attitude combined with patience and appropriate body language. Throw in some respect and willingness to be flexible and BINGO.

Communication is a wide combination of things. It also is something that is more natural for some people than others. Also, circumstances can be a significant factor, ranging from a simple friendly gesture to mass chaos.

• Like 1

Hi Gents.

Sorry, should have been clearer, RP = Republic of the Philippines but yes, 99.9% of people refer to it as the PI . The reason I refer to it as the RP is purely out of a habit from ages ago lol!!.

Anyway, I've been pondering this for a while and discussing it with the wife. I'm still not fully decided as I keep flip flopping between the job I love and the future that awaits, hence the "experiment". Also, hearing this week that a very close mate has just been diagnosed with lymphoma at the age of 46 changed my perspective. He will be OK as it is early, but he needs a total lifestyle change and travelling abroad with that condition won't be happening for a while he said.

we shall see what happens.

After my upcoming trip in April, the next year or two at least with be to the PI and slip into "regular guy" mode. No fancy restaurants, no bar hopping, no trips out to Boracay or Palawan and a marked decrease in my usual spending habits.

I'll also be left to my own devices, and agreed that the family should go about their daily business instead of speaking English all the time and making my life comfortable!!.

Personally I look at it as a "try before you buy".

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

But, overall (high percentage of the time over many years) I have been able to accomplish the necessary communication (often with a good laugh from both sides).

Much of it is on attitude combined with patience and appropriate body language. Throw in some respect and willingness to be flexible and BINGO.

Too fucking true mate..

Learn to laugh at yourself !!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Butch said:

Anyway, I've been pondering this for a while and discussing it with the wife. I'm still not fully decided as I keep flip flopping between the job I love and the future that awaits, hence the "experiment". Also, hearing this week that a very close mate has just been diagnosed with lymphoma at the age of 46 changed my perspective. He will be OK as it is early, but he needs a total lifestyle change and travelling abroad with that condition won't be happening for a while he said.

Yes, covid was certainly an epiphany for me, and changed my perspective. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1