Pattaya Go-go bars, beer bars & restaurants (News closures and Updates)

john luke

Just talking with a friend who lives in Pattaya, he made an interesting comment when I asked him if most of the bars on the dark side had closed. 

His comment was that as much as he knew the bright-side has its issues and many bars had closed he felt that the dark-side had not really changed.  In fact he felt that the bars were better with more attractive girls (probably coming over from central Pattaya).

He was enjoying the offering and the reduced rates and deals.

I suppose, as a lot of expats live across the Sukhumvit, it could be a reason for why bars in those areas are doing Ok.  I know they were never really buzzing anyway so maybe overheads, expectancies are not great either. He seemed happy.

26 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I know they were never really buzzing anyway so maybe overheads, expectancies are not great either. He seemed happy.

This is Exactly right......Pre Covid except for a tiny high season it was low season on the dark side all year round....Like you said rent has always been cheap there.....Tourist never left the dark side because they never arrived......The dark side is same as it always was...

• Like 2

Had a baht buster breakfast today at I-Rovers 1.29 baht as good as ever but when I walked in the cook and both waitresses were sitting and watching footy on T.V.......I was the only customer........In the old days you could barely find a seat in I-Rovers in the morning because the baht buster breakfast was so popular.....

Edited by fforest
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, fforest said:

Had a baht buster breakfast today at I-Rovers 1.29 baht as good as ever but when I walked in the cook and both waitresses were sitting and watching footy on T.V.......I was the only customer........In the old days you could barely find a seat in I-Rovers in the morning because the baht buster breakfast was so popular.....

Hopefully this time next year it'll be a bit busier 

• Like 1

I find it very sad to see all the Thai massage ladies way past their sell by date and sitting outside the massage shops with little if any chance of hooking a customer.

There are the odd exceptions near the L K Metro area on Soi Bukhouw next to the Sutus Ct Hotel.....................................so they tell me.😀

7 hours ago, Jambo said:

I find it very sad to see all the Thai massage ladies way past their sell by date and sitting outside the massage shops with little if any chance of hooking a customer.

There are the odd exceptions near the L K Metro area on Soi Bukhouw next to the Sutus Ct Hotel.....................................so they tell me.😀

Yes... same up here in CM. I always pick up my pace a bit as I walk past. I feel sorry for them. Wondering how they are even getting enough to eat. 

I was reading recently in many areas hotel occupancies are down as low as 10-20%. Now how in the f**k can that be sustained over more than a year. So many places that just will not be able to recover. The subsidies will have to be massive. How can the government handle such a debt load ?

• Like 2

On 11/17/2020 at 8:40 AM, tommy dee said:

will there be a mega move from BR and Ws to the metro area?  rents are lower in metro, LK an bukao, proverties available and  thats where the current albeit small stream of punters seem to dwell.  at some point I can see WS businesses walking...then they can be converted into coffee shops and eateries for the tourists when ever they come back?  ( asking for a friend)

You should have a look at what happened to Khao San Rd in BKK.

Closed down for renovation, reopened some time ago, completely transformed.

And it has become a place where the middle class BKK youth go out.

Cheap farang backpackers out, middle class BKK youth in. And I don't think it will ever reverse.

Maybe one day W.S. will be transformed for middle class and HiSo Thai from BKK to come on weekend.

Plenty video on Youtube of the "New Khao San RD"

Not even speaking about the quality of the girls .....

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

Cheap farang backpackers out, middle class BKK youth in. And I don't think it will ever reverse.

Maybe one day W.S. will be transformed for middle class and HiSo Thai from BKK to come on weekend.

What's so new about it other than the clientele? 

Maybe a band or 2 playing Thai music now but the soi itself still looks pretty much the same to me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Yes... same up here in CM. I always pick up my pace a bit as I walk past. I feel sorry for them. Wondering how they are even getting enough to eat. 

I was reading recently in many areas hotel occupancies are down as low as 10-20%. Now how in the f**k can that be sustained over more than a year. So many places that just will not be able to recover. The subsidies will have to be massive. How can the government handle such a debt load ?

Some hotels in Pattaya have simply closed like the LK President on 3rd road. We drove past the other week and its completely dark. 

Thai Spice thanks a bunch for posting this.....This is the first decent video I have seen of the new Khaosan.....

This video was most likely taken on the opening party weekend but nevertheless it shows very clearly what the new  Khaosan future most likely is......A Thai middle class Uni hang-out.....

For farangs looking for Uni hook-ups this could be paradise..

But lets not forget this transformation was no accident...No Sir...This was 100% planned from the top.....

I guess they find backpackers very distasteful.... Dreadlocks,elephant pants, henna stands, banana pancakes, they wanted the lot gone.....So they sunk loads of millions of baht into Khaosan to kill the backpacker, budget traveler vibe.....

Thai Family's will be in ruins over this transformation........Uni students don't have much use for cheap guesthouses, or gift shops selling Thai memorabilia, or way overpriced street food......

So could this happen to Walking Street?.....I doubt it......

The powers that be may not like sex tourist but plenty of them love their money....Where as they seem to simply hate the backpackers through and through.........

Plus Thai middle class kids with lots of money are in pretty short supply in Chonburi I think....And Thai tourist could never support Walking Street businesses alone ....

So I would guess the farang oriented bars in Walking Street are here to stay.........That is unless Pattaya was ever flooded with Chinese tourist and immigrants then all bets are off.....

Edited by fforest
  • Thumbs Up 1

from a distance it may look that way but you are overlooking the fact that of course there is zero tourism, so the area has just adapted.  once they are back, back packers and the great unwashed, khao san will be prety much as it was.  you cant honestly draw an opinion from a short video clip after a revamp.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fforest said:

Thai Spice thanks a bunch for posting this.....This is the first decent video I have seen of the new Khaosan.....

This video was most likely taken on the opening party weekend but nevertheless it show very clearly what the new  Khaosan future most likely is......A Thai middle class Uni hang-out.....

For farangs looking for Uni hook-ups this could be paradise..

But lets not forget this transformation was no accident...No Sir...This was 100% planned from the top.....

I guess they find backpackers very distasteful.... Dreadlocks,elephant pants, henna stands, banana pancakes, they wanted the lot gone.....So they sunk loads of millions of baht into the place to kill the backpacker, budget traveler vibe.....

Thai Family's will be in ruins over this transformation........Uni students dont have much use for cheap guesthouses, or gift shops selling Thai memorabilia, or way overpriced street food......

So could this happen to Walking Street?.....I doubt it......

The powers the be may not like sex tourist but plenty of them love their money....Where as they seem to simply hate the backpackers through and through.........

Plus Thai middle class kids with lots of money are in pretty short supply in Chonburi I think....And Thai tourist alone could never support Walkin Street businesses....

So I would guess the farang oriented bars in Walking Street are here to stay.........That is unless Pattaya was ever flooded with Chinese tourist and immigrants then all bets are off.....

Didn't KSR get popular with the Middle class Thais because of the backpackers and the bars that were there ... the gentrification of KSR is similar to places in major cities all over the world .. a lot of the people that will stay there in the future aren't that poor and will be on gap years financed by their parents , so they will probably still frequent , would also probably attract young couples on shorter breaks - the genuine backpackers will find somewhere cheaper .... if the businesses on KSR only relied on western backpackers, then this year would have been a nightmare for them 

IMHO if WS ever becomes gentrified, then it would probably only be really busy at weekends , but you would still have the Russian/Chinese markets - the naughty clubs catering to us lot would move away , leaving the "Russian" gogos and a few vanilla places , the rest would be restaurants , arcades , music bars and nightclubs .... similar to Bangla Road in Patong and not that much of a leap from where WS currently is ..

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, tommy dee said:

from a distance it may look that way but you are overlooking the fact that of course there is zero tourism, so the area has just adapted.  once they are back, back packers and the great unwashed, khao san will be prety much as it was.  you cant honestly draw an opinion from a short video clip after a revamp.  

Nope.

As I said,  PLENTY video on Youtube concerning this.

This was planned and done way before the Covid thing.

Thailand is changing, and its the BKK youth that are driving the changes.

No need to remember you "the events" ?

Edited by Thai Spice