TransferWise - Wise (Threads Merged)

Stillearly

On 1/6/2022 at 2:35 AM, Yesitisdakid said:

Capture+_2022-01-06-14-34-28.png

I noticed this also recently. wise.com has been a very reliable and easy app. for me.

I think for regular "official" transfers for myself in the future I will stick with direct bank wire transfers. I have a good set up with my bank and they are very cheap to send. I will have everything set-up before I return. It is called a recurring  transfer.

When you first set it up they give you a number. Then the following transfers are easy as you just give your home bank the number and that is pretty much it. Sometimes takes 3 or 4 days. But, if you schedule properly you can make them automatic.

Some banks charge a hefty amount. But with other banks they offer a low cost option - depending on the account. And the transfers are more "official" as compared to the third party apps. In these times it's worth it to me to have something more secure and proper to not have to worry about any future questions, even if it costs a few bucks.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just received this email from Wise.

Some of our fees are increasing on 26-Apr-2022 when you'll:

Thresholds and fees to hold EUR are changing on 26-Apr-2022:

• It’s free for personal customers to hold up to: 3,000 EUR

• It’s free for businesses to hold up to: 30,000 EUR

• Fee on anything above threshold: 0.90% per annum

Why have our costs increased?

• Recently we’ve implemented additional verification checks to keep your money protected.

• Markets have been more volatile, which makes it more expensive for us to buy and sell currencies.

• The negative interest rates in the Eurozone mean it costs us more money to hold larger amounts of EUR for our customers.

We know that this isn't great news, and we're sorry. We'll bring fees back down for you as soon as we can. Read more about when price changes could apply to you.

Edited by Pumpuynarak
  • Great Info 1

On 6/28/2021 at 6:33 PM, Jambo said:

As a new customer to Wise today I armed myself with a very nice photo of me holding up my Passport only to be disappointed that they never asked me to send it to them.

Maybe sending a whole 380 baht to pay my HDPrime subscription is not considered a major security risk. 🤣

They didn't ask for my ID either until about the 5th transfer strange anyway I then sent it and all was good. Yesterday I did my latest transfer I got it in 5 seconds to my Bangkok bank account ridiculously quick

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

They didn't ask for my ID either until about the 5th transfer strange anyway I then sent it and all was good. Yesterday I did my latest transfer I got it in 5 seconds to my Bangkok bank account ridiculously quick

I use Wise a couple of times each month now and agree their service is excellent.

Having said that when sending funds to Thailand I have simply attached my Bank of Scotland debit card to send the funds initially to Wise for onward transmission. Quick and easy except yesterday and when I tried again today when it would not process the debit card just went into busy mode.

The alternative was to transfer the initial payment to Wise directly from my B of S account. That worked but I had to spend about 40 minutes overcoming B of S's security procedures. It will be quicker the next time but I have no idea why it would not process my debit card any more. Coincidence after the banks have been shut for 4 days?

Had another problem today indirectly caused by Wise.

Went to pay my rent online today only to have my visa/debit card rejected after I had entered Bank of Scotland's 4 digit security code.

Called into my local B of S branch who, after making a phone call, advised me that there was a security issue associated with my account. They gave me a telephone number which as it transpired went straight to their fraud department.

Due to "Exceptional phone inquiries" I was advised the expected waiting time was 50 minutes and they were not wrong!!

After going through their protracted security grilling the lady I spoke to could not have been more helpful. It transpired that the two payments I had made in less than a week using "Wise" totaling slightly less than  7,000 baht had triggered off a routine security check at B of Scotland resulting in a freeze on using my Visa/debit card for any online payments. I had already checked that the card still worked okay in their ATM.

She explained I had done nothing wrong however Wise, Paypal and Western Union are apparently currently being used wholesale for scams and I had just been unlucky.

All restrictions now have been lifted.

• 3 months later...
  • john luke changed the title to TransferWise - Wise (Threads Merged)
  • 2 months later...

WTF is happening at Wise ? it says no transfers exceeding 20K Baht until Monday 3rd October but its now 12.06pm Thai time and i still can't transfer my monthly immigration amount.

Sorry, this weekend we can only accept transfers from customers sending a maximum of 20 000 THB. To send more, please return on Monday 3 October.
  • Surprised 2

12 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

WTF is happening at Wise ? it says no transfers exceeding 20K Baht until Monday 3rd October but its now 12.06pm Thai time and i still can't transfer my monthly immigration amount.

Sorry, this weekend we can only accept transfers from customers sending a maximum of 20 000 THB. To send more, please return on Monday 3 October.

Does immigration require the amount to be posted on the same day every month?

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Does immigration require the amount to be posted on the same day every month?

Not exactly but they do like your transfers to be around the same day each month, why oh why is a mystery !!! mine tend to fluctuate by a few days when you take weekends into account.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I think the reason is probably the volatility of the UK pound at the moment.

As a matter of interest did you check whether you could do two transfers of 20000 baht, in quick succession?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

17 hours ago, john luke said:

I think the reason is probably the volatility of the UK pound at the moment.

As a matter of interest did you check whether you could do two transfers of 20000 baht, in quick succession?

Nahh did'nt bother John as my transfer was to comply with Immigration's 65K monthly retirement extension transfer.

It actually worked out well for me as i got a far better rate doing the transfer at 6am this morning as opposed to yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...