Movies to watch

Toy Boy

On 8/16/2022 at 7:19 PM, ChiFlyer said:

Well - I guess I would like to recommend the "Top Boy" TV series to Top Boy's thread.

This is a gangster drug trade story set primarily in London with a very heavy body count. Not sure what it says about me, but I enjoy shows like that, when they are well done. This one is well done. IMDB of 8.4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Boy

It is a Netflix series and it is available on IPT.

First Netflix series is actually the third series in the story. First two series were on UK Channel 4.

11 hours ago, galenkia said:

First Netflix series is actually the third series in the story. First two series were on UK Channel 4.

I picked the series up from IPT, so I was not affected by where the presentation of the content originated from.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, tommy dee said:

hahah thanks but my post was tongue in cheek as the series is in london ghetto "english"  enit tho bro

Not sure what you are saying bro. I am an American who lives in Thailand. I found the series to be a powerful statement of what people will do to escape the oppression that they were born into. Kind of like the American Movie "The Godfather". 

My only point was that I needed the subtitles to understand the London Ghetto English. I also needed subtitles to appreciate "Peaky Blinders" and "Babylon Berlin", which I considered both to be very enjoyable TV series. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

Not sure what you are saying bro. I am an American who lives in Thailand. I found the series to be a powerful statement of what people will do to escape the oppression that they were born into. Kind of like the American Movie "The Godfather". 

My only point was that I needed the subtitles to understand the London Ghetto English. I also needed subtitles to appreciate "Peaky Blinders" and "Babylon Berlin", which I considered both to be very enjoyable TV series. 

I have to admit that some of the dialogue in "Peaky Blinders" escapes me as well - and I really enjoyed "Babylon Berlin" too. 

I'm rewatching my favourite films in 2160p wherever possible, there's quite a few on YIFY these days. The latest one has been one of my favourites since it first came out, I've watched it half-a-dozen times, 'Empire of the Sun', based on the book by J.G. Ballard. You've probably seen it and it's well worth another viewing, one of Spielberg's early films and brilliantly made, they even got the Chinese Communist Party to allow them to film for weeks in Shanghai, closing down whole blocks of the city at a time, for maximum realism. The star is, of course, a very young Christian Slater, playing 11-year old Jim, and already showing what a great actor he'd become in time. And it has - for me, anyway - a very memorable quote when Basie (John Malkovich) is explaining things to Jim: "It's at the beginning and end of war that we have to watch out. In between, it's like a country club."

Empire_of_the_Sun.jpg

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

I'm rewatching my favourite films in 2160p wherever possible, there's quite a few on YIFY these days. The latest one has been one of my favourites since it first came out, I've watched it half-a-dozen times, 'Empire of the Sun', based on the book by J.G. Ballard. You've probably seen it and it's well worth another viewing, one of Spielberg's early films and brilliantly made, they even got the Chinese Communist Party to allow them to film for weeks in Shanghai, closing down whole blocks of the city at a time, for maximum realism. The star is, of course, a very young Christian Slater, playing 11-year old Jim, and already showing what a great actor he'd become in time. And it has - for me, anyway - a very memorable quote when Basie (John Malkovich) is explaining things to Jim: "It's at the beginning and end of war that we have to watch out. In between, it's like a country club."

Empire_of_the_Sun.jpg

Christian Slater? I think you mean Christian Bale!

On 8/28/2022 at 1:36 PM, Sherlock said:

Just finished re-watching this classic from 1981 The 2nd movie Tom Cruise ever starred in and the first ever movie for Sean Penn!

p3892_p_v8_ah.jpg

That is most certainly an iteresting cast.

I added it to my to watch list. The 6.7 IMDB has me a little suspicious. Not to say that is a defining characteristic. I have watched 6.x movies before and also flushed ones rated considerably higher.

One of my favorites films with a strong cast and a 6.x rating is Bullet (1996). (IMDB of 6.4)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_(1996_film)

The cast includes:

• Tupac Shakur (The man had charisma)
  • Michael Kenneth Williams (The Wire)
  • Micky Rourke
  • Ted Levine (The Silence of the Lambs)
  • Adrien Brody
  • Donnie Wallberg
  • Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones)

It is not a classic movie by any stretch, but I enjoyed watching it.

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

That is most certainly an iteresting cast.

I added it to my to watch list. The 6.7 IMDB has me a little suspicious. Not to say that is a defining characteristic. I have watched 6.x movies before and also flushed ones rated considerably higher.

One of my favorites films with a strong cast and a 6.x rating is Bullet (1996). (IMDB of 6.4)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_(1996_film)

The cast includes:

• Tupac Shakur (The man had charisma)
  • Michael Kenneth Williams (The Wire)
  • Micky Rourke
  • Ted Levine (The Silence of the Lambs)
  • Adrien Brody
  • Donnie Wallberg
  • Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones)

It is not a classic movie by any stretch, but I enjoyed watching it.

TAPS doesn’t deserve the rating it has!

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 2:36 AM, Sherlock said:

Just finished re-watching this classic from 1981 The 2nd movie Tom Cruise ever starred in and the first ever movie for Sean Penn!

p3892_p_v8_ah.jpg

Never saw that movie. Timothy Hutton has done some great work, even has an Oscar I believe, but I remember him most from Beautiful Girls, great flick IMO

• 2 weeks later...

Watched 'Thor, Love and Thunder' yesterday and I have to say it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. 

Chris Hemsworth should be embarrassed to be associated with a movie that was so appalling that I watched it longer than I expected just to confirm that it was really that bad.

It is terrible, Thor is weak, he cooks, he wears aprons, he is rescued by a female Thor, the dialogue is PC, he is a shadow of why I liked Thor before. It is an uneven, weird movie that tries to be funny when it should be serious.

It is like they outsourced the movie to somebody with a totally PC/Woke agenda who had never watched the first few movies in the series.

Russel Crowe playing a camp Zeus was probably funny, but I just couldn't get the joke, stupid movie.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cousin downloaded this before we watched. Monday Night Football. Good entertainment, lots of twists, but more comedy than action. 

But what we both took away from the flick…..definitely have to book a ride on the Shinkasen one day soon

344E673D-A17A-4FBA-8800-758CCF60273F.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy

• 1 month later...

I settled down last night to watch a new film, simply called 'Fall', and was astounded, easily the best new film I've seen in years.

fall-2022-movie-review.jpg

The premise is simple enough, a couple of girls climb a 2,000 ft tall abandoned TV mast and get stuck on the top, but the acting is great, the plot has lots of twists, and the photography is simply stunning. I was watching a full 4k version and, if you've got a big screen TV, it's well worth it as the pictures are awesome. I also liked the fact that there was minimal preamble setting the scene, they got down to the TV tower action very quickly and it stayed there.

Wiki explains how they did a lot of the filming by building the top of the tower on top of a mountain so that it really appeared to be thousands of feet up in the sky, but the actors were never more than 100 ft above the ground. Kudos to them is all I can say, a mere 100 ft on that thing would have me crapping my pants, lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_(2022_film)

I had to watch the end credits to get my breath back properly as I think I'd been holding it during parts of the film. When it was finished and I got up I'm sure i felt dizzy, vertiginous after feeling I'd been stuck 2,000 ft up in the air for the last 80 or so minutes! Really, I was completely gripped almost the entire time, an absolutely brilliant movie.

On RT, both the critics and audience give it 79%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fall

and here's the official trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa5MXOMN1lM

Edited by Toy Boy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2022 at 1:45 AM, Golfingboy said:

Cousin downloaded this before we watched. Monday Night Football. Good entertainment, lots of twists, but more comedy than action. 

But what we both took away from the flick…..definitely have to book a ride on the Shinkasen one day soon

344E673D-A17A-4FBA-8800-758CCF60273F.jpeg

Watched it a couple off nights ago as well. Good film.Wouldlike to have seen the blonde drinks girl as a hitman too!

And btw, the Shinkansen is good (been on it a number of times), and very comfy and lots of space, its not quite as roomy as this movie will have you believe it is!

• Great Info 2

On 8/26/2022 at 10:27 AM, Toy Boy said:

Empire_of_the_Sun.jpg

I went to take a look at YIFY. I can not get past the first screen without getting stuck in ad land. Perhaps I am being dense about something. It has been know to happen.

Also, from the YIFY verbiage that I do see, it looks like this is Movies only. I am searching around to try and find a torrent site to download the current season (S04) of Babylon Berlin. For some reason IPT is being very slow to make this award winning highly acclaimed show available.

With regard to your comment about 2160, I have tried it a few times and 4096 as well. I do not see a huge advantage over 1080 and 1080 takes significantly less disk space.

I am under the impression that contrary to the thread title we also cover TV series here.

I am a fan of the strange and bizarre, when it is well done. As a reference point I enjoyed watching all of the following TV series.

• Castle Rock (Stephen King) (7.5 IMDB)
  • Mr. Mercedes (also Stephen King)  (7.8 IMDB)
  • Midnight Mass (7.7 IMDB)
  • Servant (7.5 IMDB)
  • The Gift (Turkish) (7.0 IMDB)

I am watching a new one for me called "Outer Range" (7.1 IMDB) that fits well into this list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Range

Like many of the ones listed above, one might want to watch the episode recaps to address the WTF was that about issues. 🙂

I am a fan of Stephen King, but I will say that many of his materials that get converted to TV are not worth watching IMO.

15 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I am under the impression that contrary to the thread title we also cover TV series here.

On that assumption I recommend

:Gangs of London.jpg

I binged watch Series 2 during the last few days.

This lot make the Kray's look like alter boys. Gallons of claret and gratuitous violence as the various ethnic gangs carve up London's underworld.

Exciting and really well acted.

It's on Now and Sky Atlantic but I just found it on one of the free "MOVIE" apps I so I could watch the whole lot at my leisure.