Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

2 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Pele’s achievements were all before my time, and football is not our biggest sport here. That being said, it’s obvious he was the greatest ever at his sport, and influenced not only the sport, but possibly billions of people to play 

A truly sad day…..RIP

It isn't that obvious, there are three answers regarding the question who was the greatest depending on who you ask:

1. Pele: Johan Cruijff
  2. Johan Cruijff: Pele
  3. Diego Maradonna: Diego Maradonna
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

It isn't that obvious, there are three answers regarding the question who was the greatest depending on who you ask:

Think Ronaldo would disagree with all of them.😀

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Freee!! said:

How many WC winners medals does each of them have?

This is interesting:https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12027/12758851/pele-dies-at-82-busting-the-myths-surrounding-the-brazilian-great

Edited by coxyhog

8 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Sadly, Beckham had to get her piggy little snout in.

Westwood was controversial, as was the whole punk period, and damned good fun it was too, but they never sexualised young girls like the Spice Girls did!

RIP Vivienne. A unique innovative free thinker and pioneer !!!

• Like 3

The Michael Jorden of Soccer (Football, Futbol, whatever....).

No doubt one of the most recognized Sports name for all time. For that matter I believe there was a time when both of them were actually the most recognized names in the World.

RIP

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, fforest said:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/photos/photos-famous-people-died-2022-82177625/image-robert-mcfarlane-84709662

Well looking through this years list, I think more made it to their 90s than in past years I have looked at......But 80s is still much more common.....and 100s very very rare....

Agree it seems the 80's are more common. In my mind I figure I'll be on borrowed time after about 84. Just hope my quality of life remains good as I hit those last years.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Agree it seems the 80's are more common. In my mind I figure I'll be on borrowed time after about 84. Just hope my quality of life remains good as I hit those last years.

Considering my mum died at 54, my current age, her mum 52, and my dad in his early 60’s, and considering I spent close to 40 years addicted to drugs and/or alcohol, I don’t have a high life expectancy.Surprised I never got killed in a bike crash the way I ride.

In fact I never expected to live to 40.

So everyday I wake up it’s a bonus.

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/30/2022 at 7:12 AM, Bobbyg said:

RIP Pele. A legend

Pele was also a movie star in "Escape to Victory"

In one scene with Michael Caine giving a tactical briefing, Pele takes over and explains how he is going to dribble past all the opposition........" Give me the ball and I do this, this and this. Then I just blow the bloody doors off. Easy !" ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

Former Pope Benedict XVI, the first to resign in centuries, dies aged 95

https://news.sky.com/story/former-pope-benedict-xvi-the-first-to-resign-in-centuries-dies-aged-95-12775606

May he rest in peace. I did not always agree with his ideas, but I admire him for his guts to abdicate when it was time, the first pope to do so in over 600 years.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

New year, new roll call of those who have passed this year. RIP

Anita Pointer of The Pointer Sisters dies at age 74

Anita Pointer, one of the founding members of the R&B group The Pointer Sisters, has died at age 74, according to her publicist Roger Neal.

Pointer passed away Saturday at her home in Los Angeles where she was surrounded by her family, Neal said in a statement to CNN. The cause of death was cancer, he said.

“While we are deeply saddened by the loss of Anita, we are comforted in knowing she is now with her daughter, Jada and her sisters June & Bonnie and at peace,” Pointer’s family said in a statement. “Heaven is a more loving beautiful place with Anita there.”

“She was the one that kept all of us close and together for so long. Her love of our family will live on in each of us,” the statement said, while also asking that the family’s privacy be respected “during this period of grief and loss.”

The four Pointer Sisters began singing together more than 50 years ago in their hometown church in Oakland, California, where their father ministered. Bonnie Pointer and her youngest sister, June, made their professional singing debut as a duo in 1969. They later recruited older sisters Anita and Ruth to join them, before releasing their first album together in 1973.

The group won their first Grammy Award for their crossover hit, “Fairytale,” in 1974. They are also known for hits like “Slow Hand,” “Neutron Dance,” and “Jump.”

The group won three total Grammy Awards and had 13 US Top 20 hits between 1973 and 1985.

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

New year, new roll call of those who have passed this year. RIP

Anita Pointer of The Pointer Sisters dies at age 74

Anita Pointer, one of the founding members of the R&B group The Pointer Sisters, has died at age 74, according to her publicist Roger Neal.

Pointer passed away Saturday at her home in Los Angeles where she was surrounded by her family, Neal said in a statement to CNN. The cause of death was cancer, he said.

“While we are deeply saddened by the loss of Anita, we are comforted in knowing she is now with her daughter, Jada and her sisters June & Bonnie and at peace,” Pointer’s family said in a statement. “Heaven is a more loving beautiful place with Anita there.”

“She was the one that kept all of us close and together for so long. Her love of our family will live on in each of us,” the statement said, while also asking that the family’s privacy be respected “during this period of grief and loss.”

The four Pointer Sisters began singing together more than 50 years ago in their hometown church in Oakland, California, where their father ministered. Bonnie Pointer and her youngest sister, June, made their professional singing debut as a duo in 1969. They later recruited older sisters Anita and Ruth to join them, before releasing their first album together in 1973.

The group won their first Grammy Award for their crossover hit, “Fairytale,” in 1974. They are also known for hits like “Slow Hand,” “Neutron Dance,” and “Jump.”

The group won three total Grammy Awards and had 13 US Top 20 hits between 1973 and 1985.

Not even one day into the New Year and the 2023 list is starting....Hard to believe...

• Sad 1