What are you reading?

Al McReady

1 hour ago, cartoonman said:

I have just finished 'reading' BABY-LOVE a GO-GO ( eBook 1 )..An absolutely Wonderful insight to what really went on behind the scenes in PATTAYA (Thailand's Red Light Area) near Walking Street -  Funny - Saucy - Raunchy - Unbelievable. It captures some AMAZING times we all had and saw in the Good Old Days.  Can't wait for eBook 2 !!!

BABY Go-Go 1 AMAZON BOOK COVER.jpg

Would you be the author, perchance?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

John Le Carre's final book - Silverview

Julian Lawndsley has renounced his high-flying job in the City for a simpler life running a bookshop in a small English seaside town. But only a couple of months into his new career, Julian's evening is disrupted by a visitor. Edward, a Polish émigré living in Silverview, the big house on the edge of town, seems to know a lot about Julian's family and is rather too interested in the inner workings of his modest new enterprise.

When a letter turns up at the door of a spy chief in London warning him of a dangerous leak, the investigations lead him to this quiet town by the sea . . .

Silverview is the mesmerising story of an encounter between innocence and experience and between public duty and private morals.

In this last complete masterwork from the greatest chronicler of our age, John le Carré asks what you owe to your country when you no longer recognise it.

?dm=0UY2E0RC

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

He is a judge, in Florida.

He has a list, with the names of his victims and targets, all unsuspecting people unlucky enough to have crossed his path and wronged him in some way. How can Lacy pursue him, without becoming the next name on his list?

The Judge’s List is by any measure John Grisham’s most surprising, chilling novel yet.

?dm=D4D049PQ

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lazarus said:

I'm starting to re-read the 20-novel Aubrey–Maturin series -- going to take my time and use a companion book I also picked up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_and_Commander

Book 1:

9780393037012-us.jpg

Harbors and High Seas, 3rd Edition : An Atlas and Geographical Guide to the Complete Aubrey-Maturin Novels of Patrick O'Brian

51VdVfqe+SL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I thought that you started doing that back in July.

15 minutes ago, andycoll said:

I thought that you started doing that back in July.

That's when I first picked up the atlas...it went on the "coming attractions" stack!  😁

Since then been reading a lot about local history, as well as several bird books...

20211025_212253.jpg

And just finished this...has a great description of Bangkok's Patpong...along with a crazy SE Asia storyline:

81+WHY29bNL.jpg

. . .

About 125 pages into Master and Commander...

Released today -

Better Off Dead by Lee Child, Andrew Child - Jack Reacher #26

Reacher goes where he wants, when he wants. That morning he was heading west, walking under the merciless desert sun - until he comes upon a curious scene. A Jeep has crashed into the only tree for miles around. A woman is slumped over the wheel.
Dead? No, nothing is what it seems.

The woman is Michaela Fenton, an army veteran turned FBI agent trying to find her twin brother, who might be mixed up with some dangerous people. Most of them would rather die than betray their terrifying leader, who has burrowed his influence deep into the nearby border town, a backwater that has seen better days. The mysterious Dendoncker rules from the shadows, out of sight and under the radar, keeping his dealings in the dark.
He would know the fate of Fenton’s brother.

Reacher is good at finding people who don’t want to be found, so he offers to help, despite feeling that Fenton is keeping secrets of her own. But a life hangs in the balance. Maybe more than one. But to bring Dendoncker down will be the riskiest job of Reacher's life. Failure is not an option, because in this kind of game, the loser is always better off dead.

?dm=MBPS

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, galenkia said:

Thought this was superb, best book I've read in a long time. Be criminal if it's not made into a Netflix series or similar. Great story. Only 99p currently on Kindle. 

For 99p thought I'd give it a go, but as my account is US based it's quite a bit more expensive in USD. As an aside, I wonder sometimes what publishers are smoking when they price a Kindle version of a book so high. My personal limit is $4.99 for a Kindle book.

image.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

For 99p thought I'd give it a go, but as my account is US based it's quite a bit more expensive in USD. As an aside, I wonder sometimes what publishers are smoking when they price a Kindle version of a book so high. My personal limit is $4.99 for a Kindle book.

image.png

Kindle prices can be a joke. Sometimes they are dearer than the hardback copy, especially when new. Only thing I think it can be is the demand is far higher for the electronic copy, probably due to the 'must have it now' culture we live in these days. Many times new releases are £9.99 in hardback delivered but £12.99 on Kindle. 

• Thumbs Up 1

61GTmtgXadL._SX346_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

One of the most detailed and well researched books I have ever read. I'm actually on the second reading as it the level of detail was too much the first time around. A very good read and full of information.

There are still a shedload of explosives underground, one of which went off due to a lightning strike in 1955

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/aug/03/weatherwatch-lightning-unleashes-lost-belgian-mine-flanders-first-world-war

And with any luck the next one will go off just as Macron is having a walk over it...

https://simonjoneshistorian.com/2017/05/01/lost-mines-of-messines/

Due out this coming week -

The Dark Hours by Michael Connelly

414T20kOc3S.jpg

There’s chaos in Hollywood at the end of the New Year’s Eve countdown. Working her graveyard shift, LAPD detective Renée Ballard waits out the traditional rain of lead as hundreds of revelers shoot their guns into the air. Only minutes after midnight, Ballard is called to a scene where a hardworking auto shop owner has been fatally hit by a bullet in the middle of a crowded street party.

Ballard quickly concludes that the deadly bullet could not have fallen from the sky and that it is linked to another unsolved murder—a case at one time worked by Detective Harry Bosch. At the same time, Ballard hunts a fiendish pair of serial rapists, the Midnight Men, who have been terrorizing women and leaving no trace.

Determined to solve both cases, Ballard feels like she is constantly running uphill in a police department indelibly changed by the pandemic and recent social unrest. It is a department so hampered by inertia and low morale that Ballard must go outside to the one detective she can count on: Harry Bosch. But as the two inexorable detectives work together to find out where old and new cases intersect, they must constantly look over their shoulders. The brutal predators they are tracking are ready to kill to keep their secrets hidden.

Unfolding with unstoppable drive and nail-biting intrigue, The Dark Hours shows that “relentless on their own, Ballard’s and Bosch’s combined skills…could be combustible” (Los Angeles Times).

Got this from the library yesterday. The legendary Windies fast bowler's experience regarding racism. Features contributions from Usain Bolt, Thierry Henry, Michael Johnson, Naomi Osaka amongst others.

The book came from a rain delay while commentating on Sky Sports, in the George Floyd aftermath, and discussed his experiences with racism to a stunned studio and viewing audience. 

41Tf1ALqR1L.jpg

• Like 1