Sign in to follow this  
Horizondave

Shanghai - A 17 hour Layover

I am traveling to Thailand at Christmas via Peking and returning via Shanghai on Air China in early January.

The transit time at Peking is acceptable to stay at the airport but the layover at Shanghai is 17 hours (I particularly chose this flight) and as I have always wanted to go into Shanghai I was interested to know what there is to do.

I am traveling only with my daughter who has a British passport so no problem with Transit Without Visa (TWOV).

I know there is a Disneyland but as this is January, the coldest month in Shanghai I doubt it will be open, couldn't tell from the website so any knowledge as to opening times would be good and transport to get there.

What is there to do in Shanghai, looking to see the new and the traditional.

Anywhere I have to go if in Shanghai is welcome info.

Any good places to eat where I might understand the menu.

Just good info for 2 people arriving into Shanghai about 0725 in the morning and leaving at 0025 the next day.

I may get a hotel for a bit of sleep as rates seem very low at that time of year but intend on going into Shanghai from the airport early and spending at least 5-7 hours around the city.

Appreciate any info as well as dos and don'ts.....

No idea about Shanghai, but in Beijing they have a hotel in the terminal that you can rent short term rooms at (a few hours at a time). I did it and it was nice to get a few hours kip and have a shower etc. They could have the same thing in Shanghai.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you booked your ticket through a travel agent rather than direct with the airline they may be also to assist you with some organised tours.  Whilst the downside to organised tours is that the tour guide dictates the times, the plus side is you often get round an number of places very quickly that you would be unable to do so under your own steam.

@Horizondave

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

No idea about Shanghai, but in Beijing they have a hotel in the terminal that you can rent short term rooms at (a few hours at a time). I did it and it was nice to get a few hours kip and have a shower etc. They could have the same thing in Shanghai.

I am being told I have access to a lounge c/o Air China so that should suffice especially as I will be with my daughter (wife at home). Been to Peking before so happy with the transit facilities but Shanghai I want to get into town and may get one of the airport hotels advertised for about £25 - £40 to come back to freshen up before our flight. 

Edited by Horizondave

There is a metro station in the airport on the right as you head to the exit.

it is cheap and easy to use. Get a day pass. It is line 2 and heading to the city you have to change, I think it might be the first stop. You just walk across the platform and get the next train.

If you get out at east nanjing road it is a short walk to the bund where you can see the tall buildings across the river. The view is better at night when lit up.

nanjing road is a shopping street so plenty of food places.  If you was alone I would say stay away from the offers of massage, it is risky... There are a few knock off markets but I’ve always got cheaper in Thailand.

Never Been to Disneyland there.

• Thumbs Up 1

In checking the BA website for info on my brother's cancelled Malaga flight today I noticed this memo:

From 27 October 2019, British Airways will move all its operation from Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) to the newly developed Beijing Daxing Airport (PKX).

Anyhow this is info for anybody interested or planning flights to Beijing.  It concerns BA only as Air China (my flight) will still be operating to Beijing Capitol Airport in December (supposedly at the moment).

The Capitol Airport is operating at near or above capacity so this new airport will relieve the strains of excessive flight operations, should make my connection easier as well come December. 

Good link for those interested:

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3008696/chinas-airlines-jostle-position-new-mega-airport-rare-glimpse.

Sign in to follow this