COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

There's more chance of me winning the Euro Millions jackpot than there is of Thailand reopening to any significant number of foreign tourists this year.

And I don't do the Euro Millions, so go figure, lol.

Thailand recorded the highest single-day increase in coronavirus cases with new clusters emerging
in Bangkok’s prisons, complicating the fight to quell the worst outbreak to hit the nation that’s
triggered curbs on businesses and travel.

The Covid task force reported 4,887 new cases in the past 24 hours, with nearly 60% of them
coming from two jails in the capital. Cumulative cases rose to 93,794, while 32 new fatalities took
the total death toll to 518, official data showed Thursday.

The prison clusters pose fresh challenges to Thai authorities trying to curb the third wave of
infections that started from Bangkok’s night entertainment venues and spread to the city’s crowded
slums. The worsening outbreak has weighed on investor sentiment with the benchmark Thai stock
index and the baht heading for a third straight day of losses.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-13/covid-outbreaks-in-bangkok-prisons-push-thai-cases-to-new-record

Thai Government announced yesterday that they will give 100,000,000 vaccines to 50,000,000 by the end of 2021 ....

now if you assume that half a year is to pass (approx 180 days) and you divide 100,000,000 by 180 - you come up with a figure of 555,555 daily doses are required to be administered from June onwards to meet this ambitious target of everyone having 2 doses ...

seeing as how they will only be producing 10,000,000 a month vaccines from their own company - not sure where the other 40,000,000 will be coming from! I can also not see how the Thai infrastructure would be able to cope with such a high number of jabs to be administered ..

• Like 1

Just now, Chappo said:

Thai Government announced yesterday that they will give 100,000,000 vaccines to 50,000,000 by the end of 2021 ....

now if you assume that half a year is to pass (approx 180 days) and you divide 100,000,000 by 180 - you come up with a figure of 555,555 daily doses are required to be administered from June onwards to meet this ambitious target of everyone having 2 doses ...

seeing as how they will only be producing 10,000,000 a month vaccines from their own company - not sure where the other 40,000,000 will be coming from! I can also not see how the Thai infrastructure would be able to cope with such a high number of jabs to be administered ..

คิดมาก - khit maak

41 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

A new day and another change in when we can get vaccinated. Is anyone surprised?

Foreigners face longer wait for jab

Foreigners in Thailand may have to wait until August before receiving vaccinations from the government, City Hall's top health official said yesterday.

Yes, and from 1 July all those fully-vaccinated but still contagious foreign tourists allowed into Phuket will be able to travel wherever they like after just 7 days. Latest I've seen is that the AZ and Pfizer vaccines reduce the probability of  transmission by between 38% and 49%. So if 10,000 fully vaccinated tourists arrive, roughly 5,000 to 6,000 of them will still be contagious. Welcome to Prayut's fourth wave of the virus, with a new variant arriving every week there will never be a dull moment, lol.

10 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

A new day and another change in when we can get vaccinated. Is anyone surprised?

Foreigners face longer wait for jab

Foreigners in Thailand may have to wait until August before receiving vaccinations from the government, City Hall's top health official said yesterday.

Another publication told a similar story but put falangs in the queue next to tramps and the homeless.  If it wasn't so serious an issue the Thai approach would be funny.

1 hour ago, KWA said:

Another publication told a similar story but put falangs in the queue next to tramps and the homeless.  If it wasn't so serious an issue the Thai approach would be funny.

I'm not really bothered by us being at the end of the line. I just want the Thai authorities to finally get their shit together and roll out a a vaccination program that gets their citizens vaccinated as quickly as possible.

Once a significant majority of their population gets vaccinated, the risk to me and other foreigners of getting the China virus is considerably reduced.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Yes, and from 1 July all those fully-vaccinated but still contagious foreign tourists allowed into Phuket will be able to travel wherever they like after just 7 days. Latest I've seen is that the AZ and Pfizer vaccines reduce the probability of  transmission by between 38% and 49%. So if 10,000 fully vaccinated tourists arrive, roughly 5,000 to 6,000 of them will still be contagious. Welcome to Prayut's fourth wave of the virus, with a new variant arriving every week there will never be a dull moment, lol.

I am sorry but your figures and assumptions appear alarmist in the extreme.

You are assuming that for every 10,000 tourists that arrive 5000 to 6000 of them will have previously been infected with Covid to still be contagious. You cannot pass onto others Covid unless you have caught it yourself. You are therefore assuming a general population infection rate of up to 60% and not less than 50%.

Imagine India having an infection rate of 50%.

• Thumbs Up 2

51 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I am sorry but your figures and assumptions appear alarmist in the extreme.

You are assuming that for every 10,000 tourists that arrive 5000 to 6000 of them will have previously been infected with Covid to still be contagious. You cannot pass onto others Covid unless you have caught it yourself. You are therefore assuming a general population infection rate of up to 60% and not less than 50%.

Imagine India having an infection rate of 50%.

Australia had a repatriation flight scheduled to bring 150 people back to Australia from India.

40 people were bumped because of positive Covid tests.

30 people were bumped because they were close contacts of positive tests.

You were saying...

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/14/buriram-authorities-order-harsh-legal-penalties-against-high-risk-covid-19-individuals-who-refuse-vaccines/

The Buriram Communicable Disease Committee today, May 14th, ordered a major new restriction, stating that those who are in a high-risk group for Covid-19 infections and refuse to receive Covid-19 vaccinations will be facing strict legal charges with a hefty fine and possible prison time.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Good news. At a minimum I would expect dine in at restaurants will once again be allowed.

image.png

I doubt if that means the Bars/GoGo's will be opening up any time soon but one never knows.

Assuming they will, eventually, I am not sure that is going to make much difference to me.

In the last five weeks everything has changed in Banglamung/Pattaya. Five weeks ago nobody on this forum appeared to know with the exception of Tommy Dee any expat who had contracted Covid. How things have changed in those five short weeks.

Personally I gave very little thought previously to the possibility of me contracting covid even though I fall into the higher risk category. What were the odds of me being the second expat to get covid?

Well now for all practical purposes I am isolating myself in and around Bangsaray trying to avoid those Thai's and expats in Pattaya who are now contracting it every day. I have changed from not giving it a thought to seriously worrying I might be next.

When the Bars etc reopen in Pattaya am I going to rush to the bright lights of Soi's Bukhou and Boomerang and join the weekend Bar crawl?

If there was one common theme before the bars had to close it was the fact that social distancing was non-existant  anywhere within the Bars and clubs I visited. It did not bother me. On the contrary, I welcomed it and indulged my fill but that was when no expat had gone down with covid.

Everything has changed and a Saturday night in a crowded Bar or GoGo now becomes really high risk and maybe a risk too far.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

I doubt if that means the Bars/GoGo's will be opening up any time soon but one never knows.

Assuming they will, eventually, I am not sure that is going to make much difference to me.

In the last five weeks everything has changed in Banglamung/Pattaya. Five weeks ago nobody on this forum appeared to know with the exception of Tommy Dee any expat who had contracted Covid. How things have changed in those five short weeks.

Personally I gave very little thought previously to the possibility of me contracting covid even though I fall into the higher risk category. What were the odds of me being the second expat to get covid?

Well now for all practical purposes I am isolating myself in and around Bangsaray trying to avoid those Thai's and expats in Pattaya who are now contracting it every day. I have changed from not giving it a thought to seriously worrying I might be next.

When the Bars etc reopen in Pattaya am I going to rush to the bright lights of Soi's Bukhou and Boomerang and join the weekend Bar crawl?

If there was one common theme before the bars had to close it was the fact that social distancing was non-existant  anywhere within the Bars and clubs I visited. It did not bother me. On the contrary, I welcomed it and indulged my fill but that was when no expat had gone down with covid.

Everything has changed and a Saturday night in a crowded Bar or GoGo now becomes really high risk and maybe a risk too far.

Same here. Until last month none of my expat friends and acquaintances had tested positive with the China virus, and that's a rather large circle of people due to my involvement with the Hash House Harriers. That changed about four weeks ago when I learned two of our hashers had tested positive. They're doing fine now and are out of the hospital, but until then the local infections within Thailand have been pretty much exclusively Thai.

The encouraging news is the Chonburi rate of infections has been on the decline for the past two weeks with today's count of 33 infections the lowest since April 8th.

I agree with you that I don't expect bars will be opening anytime soon, but at least one can now dine in at a restaurant and enjoy your favorite beverage in a coffee cup <wink> <wink>, which I took advantage of this evening.

As for when the bars do open, I'm not worried about unduly exposing myself to the virus as I don't enjoy crowded places, and much prefer open air bars and restaurants.

183092677_4197248853672237_591644423686630656_n.jpg

• Like 1

next door neighbor of mine has caught it ... 

In other news - Thai people in Pattaya have been able to 'register' for the vaccine, took my Thai wife down to the hospital up Khao Talo to register (her and a couple members of staff) - they were registering 18-59yr old people. No idea on when they will be able to get the vaccine.

My missus enquired about me, and the health worker said that a hospital around hat yai? area  foreigners can register for the vaccine, but she didnt have any details.  I'll just wait and go to a private hospital and  buy it when they eventually have it 🙂

Last few posts have been fascinating. Jambo's is sensible attitude to take as an Arsenal fan, lock yourself away until next season. I know a couple of people positive last couple of weeks and one good 'friend' in hospital. She is receiving the best of treatment in a govt run place for at least 15 days because she has decent health insurance. Was rife in indoor cafes/restaurants last 4 weeks or so. Those most at risk from catching Covid in Uk last year were restaurant managers more than any other occupations so stands to reason.

Numbers up in Isaan too. I personally believe are vastly under reported.

Bazle's quote about Buriram fining people who refuse to take the vaccine is great. Mrs place is 100kms from there are restrictions and lockdowns are strict but people with it just stay indoors because when they feel better they have to work.

Doubt the UK will start fining people in Bolton, Blackburn and Bradford any time soon too politically sensitive a subject because of the demographic who are refusing to take it especially during the month of Eid.

My guess is once the vaccine programme is rolling Thais will do a good job (or at least media will say they are) for a vaccine bounce. They need to get a  move on. Then private hospital will offer it to khun farang for around 3K.

Staf safe out there chaps.

• Great Info 2

2 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Was rife in indoor cafes/restaurants last 4 weeks or so.

And what have the geniuses running the show here just decided to do? Allow restaurants to reopen for indoor dining, albeit with limited numbers of customers. Since Chonburi has been downgraded from a Dark Red Zone to a mere Red Zone, perhaps this is understandable, but then I read that they're doing the same thing in Bangkok, the epicentre of the outbreak. Madness, pure and simple.

22 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

And what have the geniuses running the show here just decided to do? Allow restaurants to reopen for indoor dining, albeit with limited numbers of customers. Since Chonburi has been downgraded from a Dark Red Zone to a mere Red Zone, perhaps this is understandable, but then I read that they're doing the same thing in Bangkok, the epicentre of the outbreak. Madness, pure and simple.

If my memory serves me correctly I believe Pubs in England have been taking bookings for a seat in their gardens. 🤣

Ticket touts are asking 50 notes for a garden seat next to the bogs.

(I made that last bit up 🤣)

44 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Dark red 25% occupancy

red - no limit on occupancy - but have to follow covid rules

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

I haven't seen a news report yet stating 10,000 infections, but would not be surprised given the overcrowded conditions of Thai Prisons.

Bangkok Post has now published the daily count of new cases, 6,853 of which were found in prisons. Not quite 10k, but getting close.

25 new Covid deaths, 9,635 new cases

Meanwhile Chonburi is still looking good with 45 new cases reported.

186474645_4203334689730320_2092274997145378612_n.jpg

33 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Meanwhile Chonburi is still looking good with 45 new cases reported.

Times change. A year ago, 45 new cases was more than enough to cause the Mare (sic.) to erect traffic barriers on Sukhumvit and isolate the city from the rest of the country. Now it's good news.

All the prison cases I've read about recently have been in Bangkok. I wonder if they've checked out Nong Plalai yet, or is that a thousand new cases that they're saving for a rainy day in Chonburi?

8 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I haven't seen a news report yet stating 10,000 infections, but would not be surprised given the overcrowded conditions of Thai Prisons.

I read it here - 

Breaking**** Covid-19 🦠outbreak in Thailand’s prison network.
A total of 9783 positive results are being reported.
Additional figures are most likely to be added to the national total tomorrow.
Nonthaburi 59
Central Special Treatment Center 12
Chachoengsao 43
Thonburi Remand 1725
Khlong Prem 1016
Central Women's Correctional Institution 1039
Bangkok Remand 1960
Chiang Mai Central Prison 3929
Source: KhaosodOnline #โควิด19

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

I read it here - 

Breaking**** Covid-19 🦠outbreak in Thailand’s prison network.
A total of 9783 positive results are being reported.
Additional figures are most likely to be added to the national total tomorrow.
Nonthaburi 59
Central Special Treatment Center 12
Chachoengsao 43
Thonburi Remand 1725
Khlong Prem 1016
Central Women's Correctional Institution 1039
Bangkok Remand 1960
Chiang Mai Central Prison 3929
Source: KhaosodOnline #โควิด19

Gives a new meaning to lock down. Lock in. 

How can they keep that many inmates away from each other and stop the spread in a jail?

Thai prisons are not exactly known for single or double cell occupancy.