COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

Bloody Nora, for the first time, Thailand has a lot more new cases than the UK, with 2,827 reported today.

And all the failure for a PM can do is waffle on about vague promises of extra vaccines at some distant point in the future, when he's not even planning on starting mass vaccination until June at the earliest.

And as for the comparison with India - well Thailand has around 5% of India's population, so the current disaster there of 300,000 new cases a day would only require 15,000 cases a day here to be similarly bad. I suspect if that happens (and we're already 20% of the way there, remember), then the Thai health system will simply crater, just like it has in much of India. 

• Sad 1

175359240_10223215837197832_4521038625637552741_n.jpgDont know what to believe with all these stats,its not like a thai to miscalculate.

They closed the pier in hua hin yesterday,its one of the best places to have a walk and chill if you dont want sand in yer feet,most days even pre covid probably wouldnt be more than 20 on the whole pier and most of thos would be thai s fishing from the end of it,past few weeks not more than 10.Yea great idea close it,one of the best areas to get some fresh sea breeze,absolute numptys !!DJI_0515pak nam pran.jpgDJI_0230.jpg

Edited by Phantom51red
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Despite them initially handling covid well, their vaccine roll out is a shambles!

Their stillborn vaccine programme wouldn't have mattered that much if they'd just kept their eyes on the Covid ball, instead of cocking everything up through a mixture of arrogance, complacency and stupidity. Half the world leaders will be laughing down their sleeves at Prayut, the man who had it all under control and then threw it all away for nothing.

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

Their stillborn vaccine programme wouldn't have mattered that much if they'd just kept their eyes on the Covid ball, instead of cocking everything up through a mixture of arrogance, complacency and stupidity. Half the world leaders will be laughing down their sleeves at Prayut, the man who had it all under control and then threw it all away for nothing.

But you can't continue as is indefinitely, no country can long term, it's global world, covid isn't going anywhere.

Vaccines are the way out of this. So yea, their arrogance, complacency and stupidity in not getting the vaccine roll out well under way before it got to this was shortsighted.

That said, my wife's sister who is a nurse had the sinovac vaccine yesterday. She had originally said she wouldn't have it, but it must be being taken more serious in Thailand now. 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -new-cases

Eight Covid-19 deaths and a record 2,839 new cases, 1,582 of which in Bangkok, were reported on Saturday, bringing the totals to 129 deaths and 53,022 cases.

Taweesilp Visanuyothin, spokesman for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said the eight deaths were six men and two women.

The 122nd death was an obese Thai man, 48, in Samut Prakan. He had visited an entertainment venue in Srinakharin area. On April 12, he had a fever, sore throat and diarrhea. On April 18, he tested positive and had pneumonia. He died on Thursday.

The123rd death was a Thai woman, 83, in Bangkok. She had diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol and was in contact with a confirmed case. On April 14, she had a fever and fatigue. Four days leater, she tested positive. She died on Thursday.

The 124th death was a Thai man, 89, in Bangkok. He was a bed-ridden patient with colon cancer in contact with a confirmed case. On Thursday, he had a cough, a fever and breathing difficulties. He tested positive the next day and died on the same day.

The 125th death was a Thai man, 63, in Bangkok. He had high blood pressure and gout and was in contact with a confirmed case. On April 11, he had a fever. On Thursday, he tested positive. He died the next day.

The 126th death was a Thai man, 68, in Chachoengsao. He had high blood pressure, high cholestero and cardiac arrhythmia. He was in contact with a confirmed case. On April 10, he had a fever and tested positive the next day. He died on Thursday.

The 127th death was a Thai woman, 82, in Samut Prakan. She had cervical cancer and was in contact with a confirmed case. On April 14, she tested positive. She died on Tuesday.

The 128th death was a Thai man, 75, in Nakhon Sawan. He had high blood pressure, high cholesterol and benign prostatic hyperplasia. He was in contact with a confirmed case. On April 9, he had a cough and a fever. He tested positive on April 11 and died on Thursday.

The 129th death was a Thai man, 62, in Nonthaburi who had a chronic kidney disease. He had visited an entertainment venue. On April 18, he had fatigue. On Wednesday, he tested positive. He died on Friday.

Of the 2,839 new cases over the past 24 hours, 2,827 were local infections and 12 were imported cases.

Of the local cases, 2,523 were confirmed in hospitals and 304 were found through active case finding.

The 12 imported cases were quarantined arrivals from India (7), the United Arab Emirates (2), Bahrain (1), Oman (1) and the United States (1). They were five Thai women and seven Indian men.

Total cases were now 53,022, of which 30,566 (57.6%) had recovered, including 377 discharged on Friday, and 22,327 were in hospital. Of the infected patients, 418 were critical, with 113 on ventilators.

Bangkok logged the highest number of new infections at 1,582 cases. Nine other provinces with high infections were Chiang Mai (151), Chon Buri (119), Nonthaburi (96), Samut Prakan (84), Pathum Thani (59), Samut Sakhon (57), Surat Thani (46), Nakhon Sawan (38), and Songkhla (34).

Globally, Covid-19 cases rose by 896,922 in 24 hours to 146.22 million. The worldwide death toll went up by 14,218 to 3.09 million.

The United States had the most cases at 32.73 million, up 66,515, and the most deaths at 585,075, up 790.

India came second with 16.60 million, up 345,147, the highest infections. Brazil was third with 14.23 million, up 65,971. Thailand ranked 105th.

15 hours ago, Krapow said:

That said, my wife's sister who is a nurse had the sinovac vaccine yesterday.

From what I've read, it's better than nothing, but she'll probably need at least three shots which will add to the vaccine supply problems here, or else leave many people with less-than-maximum protection (that sounds like the Thai way, lol).

I suspect that the Thai government is preventing the private hospitals here from selling the vaccines yet as it would be too embarrassing for them, given their own pathetic efforts on the vaccine front. I read on a FB post by Pinoy Thaiyo that it's expected the hospitals will be allowed to start selling vaccines after 3 June. When you look at how much they plan to charge for each shot, supply should not be an issue as they already have good global supply chains and can afford to outbid almost all public health systems when they're charging £50 a jab.

On 4/24/2021 at 9:39 AM, Phantom51red said:

175359240_10223215837197832_4521038625637552741_n.jpgDont know what to believe with all these stats,its not like a thai to miscalculate.

They closed the pier in hua hin yesterday,its one of the best places to have a walk and chill if you dont want sand in yer feet,most days even pre covid probably wouldnt be more than 20 on the whole pier and most of thos would be thai s fishing from the end of it,past few weeks not more than 10.Yea great idea close it,one of the best areas to get some fresh sea breeze,absolute numptys !!DJI_0515pak nam pran.jpgDJI_0230.jpg

I used to walk the pier quite often, very relaxing and as you say, not busy even at the weekend. Loved watching the guys fishing with the hand nets.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

I used to walk the pier quite often, very relaxing and as you say, not busy even at the weekend. Loved watching the guys fishing with the hand nets.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That guy with the dark shades on stays in my building,ive never seen his eyes ! lol..they stopped the weekend food stalls a few weeks ago,fair enough,but to close the pier is madness,went past today 8-10 officials was walking it so hopefully they will open again soon,hua hin daily numbers down aswell.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

These 2 were fined 500 bht hmm 

https://ch3plus.com/news/program/238506

Edited by Phantom51red

IMPORTANT: The Governor of Rayong has just ordered closed all hotels, resorts, restaurants and bars on Koh Samet island for a period of 14 days from 27 April to 10 May #COVID19 #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

From Richard Barrow 

• Great Info 1
  • Sad 1
  • Surprised 1

From the BBC -

The Thai government has introduced stricter measures to try to curb a coronavirus outbreak, which has been traced back to the nightlife district in the capital, Bangkok.

Restaurant dining has been banned in and around Bangkok and across the whole country people must wear masks in public.

Parks, gyms, cinemas, bars, day-care centres and schools have also been closed in the capital. Non-essential travel from Bangkok is being discouraged.

Shopping malls are still open, but with shorter trading hours, and public transport is still running.

The order to make masks mandatory comes days after Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha was fined 6,000 baht (£137, $190) for not wearing a mask at an emergency government meeting on Monday.

There have been 63,570 official cases in Thailand, and 188 deaths.

Article share tools
  • Like 1

I was speaking to a friend on the phone this morning who gave a warning about B P Hospital.

A friend of his went for a Covid test in the last couple of days at B P Hospital. I think he needed a "confirmation of fit to travel" for a flight. Unfortunately although showing no symptoms the result was positive which meant he would have to immediately be admitted to BPH at a cost of............................................... 30,000 baht per night!

Note he is showing no symptoms so presumably no treatment.

He apparently immediately contacted a friendly lawyer to negotiate which resulted in the daily charge being reduced to 8,000 baht.

No wonder BPH is promoting their covid testing facilities.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I was speaking to a friend on the phone this morning who gave a warning about B P Hospital.

A friend of his went for a Covid test in the last couple of days at B P Hospital. I think he needed a "confirmation of fit to travel" for a flight. Unfortunately although showing no symptoms the result was positive which meant he would have to immediately be admitted to BPH at a cost of............................................... 30,000 baht per night!

Note he is showing no symptoms so presumably no treatment.

He apparently immediately contacted a friendly lawyer to negotiate which resulted in the daily charge being reduced to 8,000 baht.

No wonder BPH is promoting their covid testing facilities.

And as far as I'm aware they have the monopoly around here for that testing. I've tried phoning BPH to find out if I need an appointment for the test and have also emailed them, went on hold on the phone for ages so I gave up and no reply to my email.

31 minutes ago, mrcharliemofo said:

And as far as I'm aware they have the monopoly around here for that testing. I've tried phoning BPH to find out if I need an appointment for the test and have also emailed them, went on hold on the phone for ages so I gave up and no reply to my email.

On my bike ride this morning I noticed a sign on a clinic on Nern Plub Wan (map link) stating they are a testing center. I only glanced at as I rode past, so not sure what they're testing, but it would be a reasonable assumption they're doing Covid tests. The Dr. is a decent guy that speaks fairly good English. It's become my go to place for health checkups and non-emergency medical issues. Might be worth a call.

image.png

• Great Info 1

8 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

On my bike ride this morning I noticed a sign on a clinic on Nern Plub Wan (map link) stating they are a testing center. I only glanced at as I rode past, so not sure what they're testing, but it would be a reasonable assumption they're doing Covid tests. The Dr. is a decent guy that speaks fairly good English. It's become my go to place for health checkups and non-emergency medical issues. Might be worth a call.

image.png

I need the test for flying and as far as I know BPH are the only hospital here now that are accepted for fit to fly tests.

42 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

32 minutes ago, mrcharliemofo said:

I need the test for flying and as far as I know BPH are the only hospital here now that are accepted for fit to fly tests.

An RT-PCR test requires specialty equipment generally not found in a doctor's office. Equipment includes centrifuges, thermal cycler, 3 labs (sample prep, reagent prep and test room), refrigeration etc as well as a trained operator.

A doctor's office may do sample collection for forwarding to an appropriate lab.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fygjam said:

An RT-PCR test requires specialty equipment generally not found in a doctor's office. Equipment includes centrifuges, thermal cycler, 3 labs (sample prep, reagent prep and test room), refrigeration etc as well as a trained operator.

A doctor's office may do sample collection for forwarding to an appropriate lab.

Is that the only type of test to see if one has covid?

I may be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that BPH has effectively set up two testing areas in their car park one for those feeling unwell and showing symptoms and another for those who have no symptoms but presumably want "peace of mind" or more likely a "fit to fly" confirmation like Terry's friend. I gained the impression that it did not take long for them to confirm the positive test result.

Anyway, I have always gained the impression that BPH are more interested in making money first and providing health care second. If they have a monopoly in providing "fit to fly" confirmations that sounds extremely worrying to me.

Edited by Jambo
  • Like 1