COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

2 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Cops 'taking out' black men has been an American law enforcement tradition for hundreds of years...
People like NFL player Colin Kaepernick who tried to bring it to light are shut down and tossed into the trash bin.
Institutionalized racism runs deep in America.

Just look at the COVID-19 death statistics.

"The latest overall COVID-19 mortality rate for Black Americans is 2.4 times as high as the rate for Whites and 2.2 times as high as the rate for Asians and Latinos."

source: https://www.apmresearchlab.org/covid/deaths-by-race

Capturelebron.JPG

IMO, the black-white situation is very bad right now. It seems like laws such as AA, the banning of the N word, and other things should have made things better, but they are not, as we see now. I was born in 1976, grew up in the 80’s/90’s, and it wasn’t a big deal, schools were integrated, I thought everyone got along much better back then. I’ll be honest, I don’t respect the newer generation of these young men. I respect the black men older than me, who still had to piss in different washrooms in the 1960’s- those people IMO faced real adversity. 

I hope things are better one day soon, but you’re right, discrimination will exist- on both sides however. It’s a real shame that just the shade of a person’s skin leads to all these issues.....it’s not religion or language. Anyway, I’ve said enough and this is an issue that really bothers me, there are many people at fault on both sides. Like I said, I felt people got along better years ago, and we’ve gone backwards now

• Like 2
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Let’s be honest, many cops are less than patient, and do very little to de-escalate potentially deadly situations. You would expect the leader of your country to de-escalate a little better, and what does he do? Tweets that “looting will lead to shooting”

SMH

COVID-19 has hit the US harder than anyplace else in the world. What is happening now is not just about police brutality and racism toward people of color. It is about a country breaking apart at its weakest seams. The US missed it chance early on to proactively address the pandemic. Leadership performed poorly and now there are riots in the street.

And it is just beginning...

Opinion: America Is a Tinderbox

...Keith Ellison, Minnesota’s progressive attorney general, told me that lately, when he goes out walking or running in Minneapolis, he feels a “coiled sort of anxiousness ready to spring.” Many people, he said, “have been cooped up for two months, and so now they’re in a different space and a different place. They’re restless. Some of them have been unemployed, some of them don’t have rent money, and they’re angry, they’re frustrated.”

That frustration is likely to build, because the economic ruin from the pandemic is just beginning. In some states, moratoriums on evictions have ended or will soon. The expanded unemployment benefits passed by Congress as part of the CARES Act run out at the end of July. State budgets have been ravaged, and Republicans in Washington have so far refused to come to states’ aid, meaning we’ll likely soon see painful cutbacks in public jobs and services.

“Where people are broke, and there doesn’t appear to be any assistance, there’s no leadership, there’s no clarity about what is going to happen, this creates the conditions for anger, rage, desperation and hopelessness, which can be a very volatile combination,” said Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor, an assistant professor of African-American studies at Princeton. “I would not at all be surprised to see this kind of reaction elsewhere over the course of the next several months.” ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/29/opinion/george-floyd-protests-minneapolis.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_200531&instance_id=18770&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=31580693&segment_id=29695&user_id=02a7fcb616ada230e85e7ec3c56bc23d

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 3
  • Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Golfingboy said:

Situation has really gotten worse, protests even in Toronto on Saturday, as well as DC,LA, NYC, etc. Not just a Minnesota thing anymore. I was surprised nobody is really talking about it here. 
Very touchy subject I’m afraid, so I won’t comment, except that no matter what you think, when is it ever considered OK to light fires and loot businesses in your area? Right there the protesters lose my sympathy. 

There's a thread on it in the US Politics section.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, fygjam said:

Some nice pics of blood clots in the lungs of people who died from Covid-19. You don't get these clots from the flu (for those who still thinks it's just the flu).

Aye, 'it's just a little flu' as per what their President said, isn't really working out all that well for the people of Brazil, sadly!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Krapow said:

Aye, 'it's just a little flu' as per what their President said, isn't really working out all that well for the people of Brazil, sadly!

Remember when they were toying with the idea of letting everyone get infected, so that once they had it, like the “normal flu”.....it would all be over? 

Yeahhhhhh it’s a little too serious to be doing that

In UK and many other countries that have eased lockdowns, the next few weeks are going to be crucial to see whether infection rates continue to dip of we start seeing increases in cases leading to more deaths.

But if the Nation goes over the R rate of 1, then I fear there will be lockdowns which maybe targeted to specific areas where the virus is spreading more rapidly.  I would not be surprised if London and other major and capital cities elsewhere will be affected if it is the case of the virus increasing again.

We are all hoping for the best, but should also be prepared for the worst

Only then will we know whether the government's acted too quickly or whether they were right

As we are all enjoying a bit more freedom and it's lovely and sunny out, only opinion we should all still be on our guard to avoid a second wave

However, the NHS are now more equipped and organised than they were when we first experienced C19 and if the worst comes then there maybe fewer deaths and more recoveries

52 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

In UK and many other countries that have eased lockdowns, the next few weeks are going to be crucial to see whether infection rates continue to dip of we start seeing increases in cases leading to more deaths.

But if the Nation goes over the R rate of 1, then I fear there will be lockdowns which maybe targeted to specific areas where the virus is spreading more rapidly.  I would not be surprised if London and other major and capital cities elsewhere will be affected if it is the case of the virus increasing again.

We are all hoping for the best, but should also be prepared for the worst

Only then will we know whether the government's acted too quickly or whether they were right

As we are all enjoying a bit more freedom and it's lovely and sunny out, only opinion we should all still be on our guard to avoid a second wave

However, the NHS are now more equipped and organised than they were when we first experienced C19 and if the worst comes then there maybe fewer deaths and more recoveries

It's pretty much passed in London, thankfully. If anything we could get eased off more than other areas. 

I live in work in a London Borough of approx 300,000. Last week there was only 6 new infections, and 2 deaths. And this isn't media reports, this is factual. I work for Public Health who lead on the local responses to the virus, we get weekly intelligence updates each Friday afternoon. Of course it will be more than that infected, many not picked up or no symptoms, but there's lots of local testing now, and compared to what the local infection rate was before, it's very, very minimal. 

But yea, that's the way it's going, if there is a spike they hopefully will notice and target it ASAP, and of course there will be, it's inevitable with easing. It's managing it, we can't go on with lockdown much longer, for a variety of reasons. 

• Great Info 1

Massive protests raise fears of new virus outbreaks

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/massive-protests-raise-fears-waves-virus-outbreaks-70977868

...Health experts fear that silent carriers of the virus could unwittingly infect others at protests where people are packed cheek to jowl, many without masks, many chanting, singing or shouting. The virus is dispersed by microscopic droplets in the air when people cough, sneeze, sing or talk.

“Whether they’re fired up or not, that doesn’t prevent them from getting the virus,” said Bradley Pollock, chairman of the Department of Public Health Sciences at the University of California, Davis.

The U.S. has seen over 1.7 million infections and nearly 104,000 deaths in the pandemic, which has disproportionately affected racial minorities in a nation that does not have universal health care...

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

Can't blame them when one rule applies to government officials and one to us. 

Don't agree it's right but people are f***d off with politicians two faced hypocrisy. 

Looks like it's now government officials and demonstrators. They must've got bored after the party finished. :default_fun:

On 5/31/2020 at 4:28 PM, grayray said:
NSW you know to steal some thunder from the land of the CaneToad.

NSW glorious one day and perfect the next default_bananas.gif

Question thegrogmonster what is like living in one of the two best states in the world

1,the state of drunkeness

2,the state of Queensland

regards

grayray

@grayray

Sorry for the late reply but the forum kept timing out for me yesterday.

I use that saying a bit that I’m constantly in 2 states, pissed and Queenland.

That said you do live in one of the world’s greatest cities, Sydney. A few things I do every trip to there is to visit Bondi Beach, catch the ferries to Manly and Parramatta and always include a pub crawl around Chinatown and surrounding areas. Hope you enjoy your drinks at the pub today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by thegrogmonster
  • Like 1