COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

^^^^^  Damn Bro ... I cannot "sneak" one past you!   LOL

The origin is still uncertain, but if it originated with any one well-known figure, the most likely candidate is Sir Charles Dilke.

A pseudonymous quotation to the same effect can be found in 1891 (see Anonymous in 1891 below; the judge referred to may be Baron Bramwell, for whom also see below), and a very similar phrase is attributed to Sir Charles Wentworth Dilke (1843–1911) in the same year (see Dilke below). A couple of years later another use of the phrase may have occurred (listed below under Traveling Engineers). Further, my attention has been drawn to a use of the phrase (or something very like it) by Sir Robert Giffen (1837–1910) in January 1892. Later in the same year Arthur James Balfour (later 1st Earl of Balfour) (1848–1930) and Mrs Andrew Crosse (Cornelia Augusta Hewitt Crosse) (1827–1895) employed the phrase. Details of their use of the phrase can be found below. It should be noted that even Balfour referred to it as “old” and that Giffen regarded it is a recent adaptation of an old jest about scientific experts.

Slightly after that, a doctor called M Price read a paper to an 1894 gathering in which he referred to “the proverbial kinds of falsehoods, ‘lies, damned lies, and statistics.’”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fforest said:

Just like there is a windows 1.0 , 2.0, 3.0 etc  Bill will be applying  this same very profitable business model to the vaccine.....There will be vaccine 1.0, vaccine 2.0, vaccine 3.0......As the new strains of Covid appear....This will be a home run for big Pharma...

tin_foil_hat_3.png

Maybe "growing a pair" is not a good idea right about now... 😨

Do testicles make men more vulnerable to the coronavirus?

"...cells serve as the front door for the coronavirus because they express a protein called angiotensin converting enzyme 2, which the virus just happens to bind with.

In both men and women, these ACE2 proteins, or receptors, are plentiful in the lungs, the gastrointestinal tract and the heart. Not surprisingly, all of those tissues are vulnerable to attack from the virus that causes COVID-19.

Testicular tissue also pumps out ACE2 receptors at a high rate. Ovarian tissue does not...

While women offer the coronavirus plenty of opportunities to enter their cells, men’s testes may give the virus an extra point of entry. And since the testicles are walled off from the immune system, they may be among the last hiding places from which the virus is driven out..."

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-04-18/do-testicles-make-men-more-vulnerable-to-coronavirus?utm_source=sfmc_100035609&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=22942+Today's+Headlines+4%2f20%2f2020&utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fwww.latimes.com%2fscience%2fstory%2f2020-04-18%2fdo-testicles-make-men-more-vulnerable-to-coronavirus&utm_id=4730&sfmc_id=853260

5 minutes ago, bexwell said:

Poland and Denmark exclude tax haven companies from coronavirus relief schemes

This makes interesting reading, pity the UK won't grow a pair and do the same.

Yep.

If you haven't paid in then you shouldn't be taking out.

I would be including the unemployed who have never worked, asylum seekers and immigrants with less than 3 three years of contributions.

• Like 2

"According to our modellers, we are starting to see so many immune people in the population in Stockholm that it is starting to have an effect on the spread of the infection," he said.

"Our models point to some time in May," he added, when asked about herd immunity in the capital. "These are mathematical models, they're only as good as the data we put into them. We will see if they are right."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/18/stockholm-will-reach-herd-immunity-within-weeks/

image.png.c0d94caa6f334514cf6232f8c73e33e3.png

US reopening: What states are relaxing social distancing restrictions and moving away from lockdowns?
Joel Shannon
USA TODAY

Various social distancing orders across the USA helped slow the spread of the coronavirus, but states are feeling increasing pressure from protesters and at times the White House to relax restrictions. Some are outlining their plans to do so.

President Donald Trump, who announced guidelines Thursday for states to start opening their economies, cited a handful of states taking steps toward a "safe, gradual and phased opening," including Texas, Vermont and Ohio. He is pushing to relax the U.S. lockdown by May 1, a plan that hinges partly on more coronavirus testing.

Several states announced plans to coordinate their response with neighbors: California is moving forward in coordination with Washington and Oregon; governors from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware and Rhode Island announced plans to form a joint task force.

Some restrictions have already been lifted. On Friday, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis gave some municipalities the green light to reopen beaches with restricted hours for walking, biking, hiking, fishing, running, swimming, taking care of pets and surfing. In Jacksonville, people enthusiastically flocked to beaches when they reopened, drawing criticism on social media. On Saturday, DeSantis said schools would remain closed through the end of the academic year.

(READ MORE)

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

Germany are now ramping up their restrictions.

One of which is to stop companies from having customers fishing their lakes.

I've heard on the news that the Bundesliga are hoping to start games on May 9th. Very surprising if you ask me. 

7 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

I've heard on the news that the Bundesliga are hoping to start games on May 9th. Very surprising if you ask me. 

I was traveling on a fishing trip on May 8th and today got this in an email.

''Unfortunately it was decided that due to the Corona crisis, no tourists will be allowed to enter, stay overnight or take part in leisure activities in our region. In addition, commercial fishing lakes must currently be closed to guests. The government has not given an end date for this measure. It is spoken from mid-May, but that can also be extended.''

Hopefully the one positive thing to come out of all this death and horror is that people will appreciate the incredible job our amazing NHS staff do. 

You get footballers earning in a week what a nurse takes 10 years to earn. 

This world is truly f***d up. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Hopefully the one positive thing to come out of all this death and horror is that people will appreciate the incredible job our amazing NHS staff do. 

You get footballers earning in a week what a nurse takes 10 years to earn. 

This world is truly f***d up. 

I do agree that footballers earn an obscene amount of money but they've been scapegoated somewhat. There is plenty of fat to be trimmed from the NHS. We don't need diversity and inclusion managers, transgender children's services, and other useless twats. We need more frontline staff and we need to pay them well. A nurse should be on a minimum of 30k tax free.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, dcfc2007 said:

I do agree that footballers earn an obscene amount of money but they've been scapegoated somewhat. There is plenty of fat to be trimmed from the NHS. We don't need diversity and inclusion managers, transgender children's services, and other useless twats. We need more frontline staff and we need to pay them well. A nurse should be on a minimum of 30k tax free.

I just used footballers as an example, plenty of overpaid fat cat bankers as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, galenkia said:

I just used footballers as an example, plenty of overpaid fat cat bankers as well. 

And Government ministers ...

"Government minister Jacob Rees-Mogg’s investment firm has been criticised for exploiting the coronavirus crisis after telling clients it provided a chance to make “super normal returns”.

• Thumbs Up 2

https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/xi/vacancy/915968895

Why does the NHS need an environmental sustainability officer for? Load of nonsense. Less of these jobsworths and more frontline staff.

Oh btw in case any of you were thinking of applying...

'We particularly welcome applications from people who identify as Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic, or Disabled, as we are currently under-represented at NUH.'

LOL

Edited by dcfc2007
  • Like 2

You'd like to think there will be a 'resetting' at least in the UK, where we are less reliant on China and elsewhere, where we make more of our own stuff. Brexit should help that as well, less fucking EU rules and restrictions about tendering etc. 

But sadly, money will probably talk, manufacturers and indeed much of the public will just want the cheapest.  

6 minutes ago, Krapow said:

You'd like to think there will be a 'resetting' at least in the UK, where we are less reliant on China and elsewhere, where we make more of our own stuff. Brexit should help that as well, less fucking EU rules and restrictions about tendering etc. 

But sadly, money will probably talk, manufacturers and indeed much of the public will just want the cheapest.  

But it isn't always cheaper to buy foreign goods.

I shop at Lidl because it uses mostly Northern Irish suppliers for its meat, dairy and vegetable products. Yet it is much cheaper than foreign imports, they also pay their staff a decent wage as well.

Edited by dcfc2007