COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

4 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

This is a must watch. 

Sums up exactly my thoughts.

No doubt some of the social distancing measures have saved lives. But the hysterical over reaction is well out of proportion to the actual threat posed. Somebody playing a round of golf is not going to kill anyone with Coronavirus!

If I  was living in Australia like yourself I'd tend to agree with him as well- have to be honest.

But here in London I support what's be done to date, my local hospital had to turn away patients on days into this. If we hadn't taken measures it would have been a disaster. 

I agree on the seeming over-reaction to outdoor activity but if the Government did nothing and there was deaths, the hindsight merchants would be queueing up to slaughter them.

Looking forward to us moving out of this a.s.ap. in a calm, structured sensible fashion.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

If I  was living in Australia like yourself I'd tend to agree with him as well- have to be honest.

But here in London I support what's be done to date, my local hospital had to turn away patients on days into this. If we hadn't taken measures it would have been a disaster. 

I agree on the seeming over-reaction to outdoor activity but if the Government did nothing and there was deaths, the hindsight merchants would be queueing up to slaughter them.

Looking forward to us moving out of this a.s.ap. in a calm, structured sensible fashion.

ch.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Esco said:

I expect we'll gradually see more disobedience as people are getting fed up with the draconian measures. 

Aye, every time I go out for groceries, I see more and more shops open.

It's happening, officially or unofficially. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Be careful ...... one of my oldest friends in the world lives around your way just found out is in ICU.

It's not gone away ..... talking to someone else who came through it today.  Recovery is not quick either ..... be careful chaps. Cruel illness ....

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Be careful ...... one of my oldest friends in the world lives around your way just found out is in ICU.

It's not gone away ..... talking to someone else who came through it today.  Recovery is not quick either ..... be careful chaps. Cruel illness ....

Yea, i'm very careful, I only go out shopping twice a week, maybe a brisk walk twice a week, the rest is running round the block, literally! Exercises etc just outside, wife and daughter havn't been out apart from our 'square' for a couple of weeks now. Too many orthodox not adhering to social distancing, virus is going through them, and we have to share the area and shops. 

I'm a bit concerned and super careful to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, roomark said:

Not sure what you mean by "rolled out". I don't think we should get too excited just yet - this is quite a good explanation: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51665497

"Most experts think a vaccine is likely to become available by mid-2021, about 12-18 months after the new virus, known officially as Sars-CoV-2, first emerged.

That would be a huge scientific feat and there are no guarantees it will work."

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Yep.

I was in the city centre today. Only the shops were closed you wouldn't have thought there was anything untoward.

Place was fairly busy with people out and about.

17 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Not sure what you mean by "rolled out". I don't think we should get too excited just yet - this is quite a good explanation: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51665497

"Most experts think a vaccine is likely to become available by mid-2021, about 12-18 months after the new virus, known officially as Sars-CoV-2, first emerged.

That would be a huge scientific feat and there are no guarantees it will work."

I'm more optimistic, but I'm a gambler so it's my mindset (possibly deluded in this instance I know)

Think Hancock phrased it right the other the day, or it may have been Sunak, I'd like to believe it was as I prefer the latter. Anyway whomever referred to the Government's backing multiple projects as backing as many horses as they can- no guarantees.

The project run by Professor Sarah Gilbert is going to go into human trials this week. I know their plan was to run phases that would normally be sequential in parallel . In last weekend's Saturday Times she was already committed to producing several million doses of Oxford's unproven vaccine, before all traditional trial phases were complete. 

The rationale being if on the balance of probabilities come August the drug looked like a "winner", they wanted to have a few million doses on Day 1.

Hancock today kicked in with funding specifically for them and Imperial. I think at £20 million it's a value bet for the UK Government to take on.

Am probably nuts given how long it took from Jenner to iradicating smallpox but going to live in hope 😊

1 minute ago, Lemondropkid said:

I'm more optimistic, but I'm a gambler so it's my mindset (possibly deluded in this instance I know)

Think Hancock phrased it right the other the day, or it may have been Sunak, I'd like to believe it was as I prefer the latter. Anyway whomever referred to the Government's backing multiple projects as backing as many horses as they can- no guarantees.

Yes, he's been very good, calm and assured, best current UK Politician. 

Future PM, get your bet on now!

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Yep.

I was in the city centre today. Only the shops were closed you wouldn't have thought there was anything untoward.

Place was fairly busy with people out and about.

Bracknell Town centre is still as quiet as it has been all the time of this lockdown. 

Everyone is staying indoors. 

12 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Yes, he's been very good, calm and assured, best current UK Politician. 

Future PM, get your bet on now!

Well don't want to give rise to conspiracies or wish Boris unwell (hope he is back soon), but no market on this and that's very unusual.

That might be on the grounds of good taste, which is fair enough.

Edited by Lemondropkid

38 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Well don't want to give rise to conspiracies or wish Boris unwell (hope he is back soon), but no market on this and that's very unusual.

That might be on the grounds of good taste, which is fair enough.

On this forum, unheard of 😬

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Ramadamadingdong starting.

Could help spread it further ...

Bangladeshi funeral yesterday for revered Imam. Authorities said 50 people could attend special dispensation. About 50-100,000 eventually did so Ramadamadingdong

27356302-8232801-image-a-1_1587227047032.jpg

• Surprised 1

4 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Bangladeshi funeral yesterday for revered Imam. Authorities said 50 people could attend special dispensation. About 50-100,000 eventually did so Ramadamadingdong

Exactly the sorta thing what I was thinking ...

Edited by Krapow
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Kathmandu said:

2,000 more dead in the USA today. 

You'll recall that Dr. Fauci revised his figures down to 60,000 dead a few weeks ago. At this rate we'll be there (60,000) this weekend. What's beyond that? Who knows more body bags?

A potential second wave of the novel coronavirus late in the year would likely be more deadly as it would overlap with flu season, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) head Robert Redfield told The Washington Post Tuesday.

"There's a possibility that the assault of the virus on our nation next winter will actually be even more difficult than the one we just went through," Redfield told the Post. "And when I've said this to others, they kind of put their head back, they don't understand what I mean."

Redfield said two coinciding outbreaks of respiratory disease would strain the nation's health care system even further than the current pandemic, which has been marked by shortages of ventilators, test kits and personal protective equipment.

• Surprised 1

9 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Not to worry lads, their God will save them. 😀

1 minute ago, Krapow said:

A potential second wave of the novel coronavirus late in the year would likely be more deadly as it would overlap with flu season, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) head Robert Redfield told The Washington Post Tuesday.

"There's a possibility that the assault of the virus on our nation next winter will actually be even more difficult than the one we just went through," Redfield told the Post. "And when I've said this to others, they kind of put their head back, they don't understand what I mean."

Redfield said two coinciding outbreaks of respiratory disease would strain the nation's health care system even further than the current pandemic, which has been marked by shortages of ventilators, test kits and personal protective equipment.

That's the big hurdle here. Tests, tests. Not enough tests.

But Georgia and Rompho Rays South Carolina are going to start lifting sanctions this Friday despite limited testing. I hope it works out.