COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

1 hour ago, Esco said:

Population of Stockholm county 2.3 million

Population of Perth 2.1 million so about the same.

The major part of Sweden’s 15,322 confirmed cases are in Stockholm and its surrounding areas, with very small incidences of the virus in the rest of Sweden — a country of around 10 million that has a low population density outside its urban hubs.

So Stockholm, 15,000 (or so) cases.

Perth, 546 cases.

Stockholm, 1,937 deaths.

Perth, 7 deaths.

I wonder if anyone asked the 1,930 if they minded giving up their lives for the good of the herd.

If it comes down to my friends being allowed to hold a wake for me in a bar or me sitting at home, I'll take sitting at home thanks.

Sweden, 682 new cases on 22 April

Perth, 4 new cases in the last 3 days including 2 days with 0 new cases.

Like I said, those countries going for herd immunity didn't fare so well.

PS: How's the Netherlands going with the "herd experiment".

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

From further down the article  - "The schedule could be revised again before July."

My originally booked flight to return home was with them for the 1st of June.  This has appeared and disappeared from Emirates' planned flights several times in the last few weeks so I think they're just guessing at the moment.

17 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

From further down the article  - "The schedule could be revised again before July."

My originally booked flight to return home was with them for the 1st of June.  This has appeared and disappeared from Emirates' planned flights several times in the last few weeks so I think they're just guessing at the moment.

12 hours ago, Aqualung said:

The TW is considering coming to the UK at the end of this month beginning of the next. Travelling from Sweden via Copenhagen and flying with Ryanair. 

She would no doubt have to follow the same restrictions as we all are here in the UK but would she have to go into quarentine somewhere other than my own home? 

Can't answer your question, but will she be allowed into Denmark?  The bridge is closed to visitors and if she's flying Ryanair she can't be in transit and won't be allowed in unless she's got residency.  Not sure about trains.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KWA said:

There won't be many, if any, flights before July.

3 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

My biggest concern is passing it on

Yea, for me I really don't give a flying f**k if I catch it or not ... I am certain I will survive ...

But, I have to be safe ... I would never forgive myself due to my recklessness if I "caught and passed" it on to Beach Gal and especially Ziggy ( she has an entire life to live ) ... and things went tits up ...

So, for their sake I am playing it safe .....

I have never been a very responsible type of guy in my entire life ... pretty much recklessness chaos and abandon ... but, things change when you got a couple people in your life that you love .....

Edited by code_slayer_bkk
  • Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

Both my wife and myself are classed as essential workers. She is a cleaner at a government hospital and they have turned her ward into a coronavirus ward. I work in a Railway control centre.

We are both in contact with a lot of people and take a lot of precautions to stay safe. I have no big issues with us catching the virus as we should survive.

My biggest concern is passing it on to my mum or an elderly mate I spend a fair bit of time with. They both want to either come round to our place or me to go to theirs. I refuse to do this and they are getting upset. I go and see mum but she stays on her balcony and I stay outside which she is not happy doing. I feel like a prick doing this to them but I couldn’t live with myself if I infected them and caused their deaths,

Tough times for all. I think I’ll have another beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great fortitude mate...stick with it for their safety...you earned that beer

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, fygjam said:

Perth, 4 new cases in the last 3 days including 2 days with 0 new cases.

I mucked that up.

It was 2 new cases in 4 days with 3 days of 0 new cases.

The numbers for the last 24 hours are now in.

2 new cases in 5 days with 4 days of 0 new cases.

Nipped out to get some basil this morning for a  krapow later.

Seen a barbers 'open', well, when I say open, the outside shutter was half up, half down, but there were people inside getting a haircut. I said to him was he open, he had a quick scan behind me, then said yea boss, my landlord is demanding full rent, I have no choice.

See B&Q are opening all sores again.

Also the English Head Teacher's Union leader has said schools could open 1st June after Half Term in a phased way, safe as possible for staff and pupils. 

But maybe most important and what will have most leverage, is this report from the IFS about the colossal borrowing 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52393472

• Great Info 1

32 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Nipped out to get some basil this morning for a  krapow later.

Seen a barbers 'open', well, when I say open, the outside shutter was half up, half down, but there were people inside getting a haircut. I said to him was he open, he had a quick scan behind me, then said yea boss, my landlord is demanding full rent, I have no choice.

See B&Q are opening all sores again.

Also the English Head Teacher's Union leader has said schools could open 1st June after Half Term in a phased way, safe as possible for staff and pupils. 

But maybe most important and what will have most leverage, is this report from the IFS about the colossal borrowing 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52393472

Another 10-20 years of crippling austerity. Council tax rises, tax rises, job cuts, pay freeze's, fuel and alcohol duty increases. Time to end this madness. The cure is worse than the illness.

Edited by dcfc2007

4 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Another 10-20 years of crippling austerity. Council tax rises, tax rises, job cuts, pay freeze'sx fuel and alcohol duty increases. Time to end this madness. The cure is worse than the illness.

If the figures hopefully keep going as they are, it's certainly a fair argument.

Though I think it was the right thing to do, and also right to continue to err on the side of caution. A second wave due to lifting stuff too soon would be calamitous on lives and the economy, and ultimately negligent from the Government.

As I said before, i'm happy it's a Tory Government full of free marketeers who will fundamentally want to get the economy going ASAP. It's balancing the risks, all risks. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Krapow said:

If the figures hopefully keep going as they are, it's certainly a fair argument.

Though I think it was the right thing to do, and also right to continue to err on the side of caution. A second wave due to lifting stuff too soon would be calamitous on lives and the economy, and ultimately negligent from the Government.

As I said before, i'm happy it's a Tory Government full of free marketeers who will fundamentally want to get the economy going ASAP. It's balancing the risks, all risks. 

I think the Swedish model works best. They reckon Stockholm has achieved herd immunity. I know that proportionally they have had a higher death rate, but in the long run their people will be better for it.

The problem the Tories are going to have is that after you have terrified a population that they are going to die, how do you suddenly convince them it's safe to go outside again. That genie is going to be hard to put back in the bottle.

13 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

I think the Swedish model works best. They reckon Stockholm has achieved herd immunity. I know that proportionally they have had a higher death rate, but in the long run their people will be better for it.

The problem the Tories are going to have is that after you have terrified a population that they are going to die, how do you suddenly convince them it's safe to go outside again. That genie is going to be hard to put back in the bottle.

If Sweden has achieved herd immunity why did they just clock their third highest daily new case rate?

image.png

Edited by fygjam
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Another 10-20 years of crippling austerity. Council tax rises, tax rises, job cuts, pay freeze's, fuel and alcohol duty increases. Time to end this madness. The cure is worse than the illness.

14 minutes ago, fygjam said:

If Sweden has achieved herd immunity why did they just clock their third highest daily new case rate?

image.png

I didn't say Sweden I said Stockholm. Besides, that's how herd immunity works. Lots of people now have the virus, and thus they will become immune. They have achieved herd immunity.

Edited by dcfc2007

9 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

I didn't say Sweden I said Stockholm. Besides, that's how herd immunity works. Lots of people now have the virus, and thus they will become immune. They have achieved herd immunity.

I said Sweden because the article claiming Stockholm had achieved "herd immunity" went on to say

The major part of Sweden’s 15,322 confirmed cases are in Stockholm and its surrounding areas, with very small incidences of the virus in the rest of Sweden — a country of around 10 million that has a low population density outside its urban hubs.

Immunity means you don't get the infection. If you don't get the infection then the new case rate goes down. That's how immunity works.

I don't get a flu vaccination so that I get the flu!

58 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Yea .. I have had enough of all of this nonsense ... I am rebooting May 2 .. going back to BKK and resume working at the hospitals ...

If the soldiers never got off the boats on D-day they would have never won the war .....

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, fygjam said:

I said Sweden because the article claiming Stockholm had achieved "herd immunity" went on to say

Immunity means you don't get the infection. If you don't get the infection then the new case rate goes down. That's how immunity works.

I don't get a flu vaccination so that I get the flu!

Herd immunity is achieved when a significant proportion of the population are resistant to the virus. Now that the majority of Stockholm residents have contracted the virus they will become immune to the virus. Thus herd immunity will become achieved within the next weeks.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/no-lockdown-in-sweden-but-stockholm-could-see-herd-immunity-in-weeks.html

But now, the country’s chief epidemiologist said the strategy appears to be working and that “herd immunity” could be reached in the capital Stockholm in a matter of weeks.

16 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Yea .. I have had enough of all of this nonsense ... I am rebooting May 2 .. going back to BKK and resume working at the hospitals ...

If the soldiers never got off the boats on D-day they would have never won the war .....

Good to hear code. 

If the soldiers on D-Day thought the world would be locked down over a virus that's probably no worse than the flu, I doubt they would bothered getting off the boats.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dcfc2007 said:

They reckon Stockholm has achieved herd immunity.

5 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Thus herd immunity will become achieved within the next weeks.

Well that was a quick change of timeline.

• Like 1