COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

1320610769_WashingtonPost.JPG.4253061d54ffaec4deb6128ab4686a24.JPG

Nearly 25,000 email addresses and passwords allegedly from 
NIH, WHO, Gates Foundation and others are dumped online

Who posted them is unknown, but they immediately became fodder for right-wing activists attacking the organizations

April 21, 2020 at 8:56 p.m. EDT

Unknown activists have posted nearly 25,000 email addresses and passwords allegedly belonging to the National Institutes of Health, the World Health Organization, the Gates Foundation and other groups working to combat the coronavirus pandemic, according to the SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors online extremism and terrorist groups.

While SITE was unable to verify whether the email addresses and passwords were authentic, the group said the information was released Sunday and Monday and almost immediately used to foment attempts at hacking and harassment by far-right extremists. An Australian cybersecurity expert, Robert Potter, said he was able to verify that the WHO email addresses and passwords were real.

The lists, whose origins are unclear, appear to have first been posted to 4chan, a message board notorious for its hateful and extreme political commentary, and later to Pastebin, a text storage site, to Twitter and to far-right extremist channels on Telegram, a messaging app.

(READ MORE)

3 hours ago, boydeste said:

That is the same as here in England, I brought home 6 from Thailand to give to my immediate family. The only time I mix with people is when I do my weekly shop. I am the only one wearing a mask and I get some funny looks too!

It's the total opposite here in Durango. EVERYONE is wearing them if they are going outside. I have a good supply of the cheap dust masks and rubber gloves. I use them all the time in my business. I went on Amazon out of curiosity and there are still a lot of offerings for the cheap over the ear style.  The better masks were sold out long ago. The good masks were diverted to hospitals by all the manufacturers when this started to get bad. And rightly so.

I am 100% sold on the idea that wearing them at all times when out will help save lives.... maybe even mine.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

I donated a pile of old DVD's to the local children's home. I have a colleague who works there and they are having a horrendous time trying to keep young people entertained and indoors.

Hope you remembered to remove Debbie Does Dallas. 

• Haha 6

1072717932_WashingtonPost.JPG.714bf4977fd4ef331ce9ce7fd746a0c1.JPG

Live updates: Deaths suggest coronavirus was spreading in U.S. earlier 
than previously thought; CDC director warns of devastating second wave

At least two people who died in California’s Silicon Valley in February had contracted the novel coronavirus, suggesting it was spreading — and killing — in the United States weeks earlier than previously thought. That revelation came as the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned that a second wave of U.S. infections could be even more devastating than the first.

More than 800,000 coronavirus cases have been confirmed in the United States, with nearly 45,000 reported deaths. Worldwide, more than 2.5 million infections and 175,000 deaths have been reported.

Here are some significant developments:

• “Our Country is starting to OPEN FOR BUSINESS again,” President Trump tweeted Wednesday. Several states, including Georgia and South Carolina, are slowly beginning to ease restrictions and closures, although some health experts and local lawmakers have cautioned that it may be too early to do so safely.
  • $484 billion deal to replenish a small-business loan program passed the Senate and is expected to be approved by the House on Thursday. The bill, which Trump intends to sign, also increases funding for hospitals and covid-19 testing, but some Democrats worry that it does not go far enough.
  • Missouri’s attorney general sued the Chinese government and the Communist Party of China over the coronavirus pandemic. In Beijing, a Foreign Ministry spokesman called the lawsuit “very absurd,” and experts in international law said they doubt it stands a chance.
  • As administration officials work out the logistics and legal implications of suspending immigration to the United States, Trump said he will sign his executive order on Wednesday.
  • South Korean President Moon Jae-in unveiled a $32.4 billion relief package for hard-hit businesses and is pushing for a New Deal-style program to put people to work on national infrastructure projects.
  • A new study shows that hydroxychloroquine, the anti-malarial drug aggressively touted by Trump, offered no benefit for treating covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, and was linked to higher death rates among Veterans Affairs patients.

This is a good background article that summarizes the COVID-19 situation across Asia.

Evil

Capture.JPG.6269e49967bfd67994feda69fc158954.JPG

Diplomat.JPG.109719d8fc47e88dee59c74096f3306c.JPG

COVID-19 in Asia: A Country-By-Country Guide
The good, the bad, and the ugly of the coronavirus fallout for each government in East, Southeast, South, and Central Asia.

COVID-19 is a truly global problem, touching every corner of the world. From the direct health impact to economic, social, and political consequences, the pandemic has the potential to reshape countries across the globe — even those yet to report any confirmed cases. But while the problems are similar, the impacts on and responses from each country are unique.

This report, prepared by Diplomat Risk Intelligence, The Diplomat’s consulting service, briefly outlines “the good, the bad, and the ugly” of the COVID-19 fallout in the Asia-Pacific region. Below, our experts outline what you most need to know about the response from each government in East, Southeast, South, and Central Asia to the novel coronavirus. For more coverage on COVID-19 in Asia, and other political and economic trends worth following, subscribe to DRI’s newsletter here.

East Asia
China
Hong Kong
Japan
Mongolia
North Korea
South Korea
Taiwan

Southeast Asia
Brunei
Cambodia
Indonesia
Laos
Malaysia
Myanmar
The Philippines
Singapore
Thailand
Timor-Leste
Vietnam

South Asia
Afghanistan
Bangladesh
Bhutan
India
The Maldives
Nepal
Pakistan
Sri Lanka

Central Asia
Kazakhstan
Kyrgyzstan
Tajikistan
Turkmenistan
Uzbekistan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The TW is considering coming to the UK at the end of this month beginning of the next. Travelling from Sweden via Copenhagen and flying with Ryanair. 

She would no doubt have to follow the same restrictions as we all are here in the UK but would she have to go into quarentine somewhere other than my own home? 

5 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

The TW is considering coming to the UK at the end of this month beginning of the next. Travelling from Sweden via Copenhagen and flying with Ryanair. 

She would no doubt have to follow the same restrictions as we all are here in the UK but would she have to go into quarentine somewhere other than my own home? 

I don't see why she should, unless she arrives and gets singled out as sick.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, coxyhog said:

Me & the missus wear masks whenever we go shopping.I also wear sunglasses & a hat with a peak.

The shit gets into you via eyes,nose & mouth so by my reckoning anything you do to cover those must reduce the risk.

Chamore motherfucker 😀

nintchdbpict000001011458-e1468768508400.jpg

• Haha 3

Fellas,

why is the Wuhan virus killing the amount of people it is in UK?

is the population NOT following the basic advise, of good personal hygiene,social disteness and staying indoors?

is it because over there a lot of people live on top of each other,stuffed into 2up,2down attached units?

or is the Wuhan virus in Europe a different strain than is in Australia?

we have less than 40 ICU beds in use,

3states this week have had 3days of no new cases.

97% of the Wuhan Virus here are mild cases.

shit! i'm glad iam a Aussie right now.even the dust is laying low,

where ever you are fellas hope yourselves,family especially the oldies are safe.

forsure the life we knew before 2020 is not going to be the same.

today I have to put up with both water and electricity are off from 8am been up since 5.30 SSS,fill a few bottles up and bucket for flushing the loo,

3 new books to read.thinking a green curry veges to-night,pulled the old camping gas stove out.

regards

grayray

Edited by grayray
  • Thumbs Up 3

Very interesting debate that was. I'm not going to pretend I understood all the science behind it, but it's reassuring to see how confident some of the finest minds in science are of finding a vaccine. They were all in agreement there would be no widely distributed vaccine this calendar year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grayray said:

Fellas,

why is the Wuhan virus killing the amount of people it is in UK?

is the population NOT following the basic advise, of good personal hygiene,social disteness and staying indoors?

is it because over there a lot of people live on top of each other,stuffed into 2up,2down attached units?

or is the Wuhan vurus in Europe a different strain than is in Australia?

we have less than 40 ICU beds in use,

3states this week have had 3days of no new cases.

97% of the Wuhan Virus here are mild cases.

shit! i'm glad iam a Aussie right now.even the dust is laying low,

where ever you are fellas hope yourselves,family especially the oldies are safe.

forsure the life we knew before 2020 is not going to be the same.

today I have to put up with both water and electricity are off from 8am been up since 5.30 SSS,fill a few bottles up and bucket for flushing the loo,

3 new books to read.thinking a green curry veges to-night,pulled the old camping gas stove out.

regards

grayray

If the figures are to be believed then Thailand has very few cases....temperature?

30 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

If the figures are to be believed then Thailand has very few cases....temperature?

I am pretty sure if it was temperature related then they wouldn't have any at all, same as for other countries like Cambodia. No testing and economical reporting is probably your answer.

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I am pretty sure if it was temperature related then they wouldn't have any at all, same as for other countries like Cambodia. No testing and economical reporting is probably your answer.

I agree 

I've tried to keep away from the UK media apart from the 5 o'clock daily briefing which, to be frank is becoming tedious regarding the same questions being asked every day by the news outlets. 

The only other news I'm interested in is Thaiger.. A Thai news channel for expats I think... Presented by a rather likeable Aussie or New Zealand guy. On YouTube. 

Look on the comments section.... Quite a few Thai folk with very good English skills will not budge on defending Thailand way of doing things. Like quoting that they have the 6th best healthcare system in the world and that they are better prepared Hospital wise and testing wise than here in the Western world. 

Any comments to the contrary aren't very welcome. Someone mentioned a certain guy isolating in Germany but got told in no uncertain way... Not your business. 

Just seems to me that certain thais are in denial.... Which is very sad. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, fforest said:

I guess Thai immigration was offering the hundreds and hundreds of tourist in line for months as a control group....I guess that went ok....Never heard about anyone in the lines ever getting sick in the news...

The deaths were all attributed to suicide (just like all farang deaths in Thailand).

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Has anyone noticed the real improvement in air quality? It is absolutely fantastic where I am. I can hear the birds chirping at 4 in the afternoon. I've seen hedgehogs, ladybirds and robin red breasts coming into the garden for the first time in years. I must say it makes a welcome change.

😃

Ladybirds aye. Makes a change from... 

• Haha 1