COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

On 4/23/2020 at 7:24 PM, Murchie said:

Many of the points the reporter brought up can lead to death. Not in every case, but I don't think anyone can argue there won't be an increase in deaths brought on by the stress of dealing with the pandemic. So Cuomo is wrong to state "it doesn't equal death". It does for a small percentage of the people.

At the same time his statement "illness is death" is wrong as not everyone who is infected will die.

And at the end of the clip he states anyone that wants to work can get a job as an essential worker and go back to work. I doubt very much that's the case. Most of the essential workers are highly skilled and it's a good bet those that might seek such employment would lack those skills.

There are strong arguments for and against easing the lockdown and getting back to some semblance of normality. I think which side you take is more about how risk tolerant you are.

Edited by forcebwithu
essential workers are skilled, but not all are highly skilled positions
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, dcfc2007 said:

Herd immunity is a process. It doesn't happen overnight. They are achieving herd immunity as we speak. 

Here are the "Active Cases" for three countries. Active cases increase with new cases and decrease with either death or recovery. One would expect if herd immunity was being achieved as we speak, the active cases would be either flattening or decreasing.

One country has achieved or will achieve in several weeks, depending upon which post you read, herd immunity.

Another country was going to go with the herd immunity approach until they saw the projected death toll then changed to a lockdown approach.

The final country declared "pandemic" even before the WHO did and started implementing restrictions.

Can you tell which graph belongs to which country?

00000.jpg

9 hours ago, KWA said:

Can't answer your question, but will she be allowed into Denmark?  The bridge is closed to visitors and if she's flying Ryanair she can't be in transit and won't be allowed in unless she's got residency.  Not sure about trains.

Your correct of course regarding the Danish border and the Oresund bridge. Trains only running as far as Malmo aswell. 

Another option would be flying from Gothenburg via Amsterdam but waiting for the connecting flight would make it a very long trip time wise. 

All inter regional travel banned from Friday onwards till end May in Indo. 

Main reason is to avoid the Muslim "mudik" migration for the Ramadan, when traditionally a lot of people travel back to their villages.  So, that's the Miss blocked here in Bali. 

Let's see how this is enforced and if it really will last 1 month +.

https://jakartaglobe.id/news/indonesia-bans-public-transports-starting-on-first-day-of-ramadan

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/04/23/govt-temporarily-bans-passenger-travel-to-prevent-mudik.html

Many Italians quite rightly saying the EU can get f***d, after being, as they see it, abandoned by the EU when they needed them. 

When Russia and China were able to get proper tangible help to Italy before the EU, they have a point. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Krapow said:

Been reading reports in the last few days of social unrest in a few of the suburbs around Paris. 

Drug supplies running low due to lockdown?

Just seen another report about this just now.

Wonder will it spread, people getting pissed off with the lockdown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

That first graph's quite 'stark' in regards to Sweden's approach. 

The swedes I've met are really really nice folk. I've only ever met a couple of scrotes in 20 odd visits there. 

The problem is... They are too nice and bury their heads in the sand when things get a bit difficult. I have a very good friend there, a lovely guy. Both his elderly mum and her partner who reside in a care home are now in hospital with covid. They live in Bostad, on the West coast and outside of care homes there's very few reported cases there. My friends response even when the doctors at the hospital decided to update his mother's worsening condition was that he thought Sweden was doing the right thing. 

I really hope his mother and her partner will be OK. Discharged from hospital and back to the care home!!!!! 

If I were him I'd be a bit worried about Swedens approach to this situation. 

Also, my TW lives and works there and as soon (if!!!!) the swedish government decides to close restaurants I've told her to get out and stay at home. Bollocks to her boss. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 11:15 AM, dcfc2007 said:

Has anyone noticed the real improvement in air quality? It is absolutely fantastic where I am. I can hear the birds chirping at 4 in the afternoon. I've seen hedgehogs, ladybirds and robin red breasts coming into the garden for the first time in years. I must say it makes a welcome change.

😃

I think that air quality has improved in many countries due to the reduction in traffic, especially in cities. 
This graphic is for UK. 👍

46DEDAA9-5426-4DEC-8734-FD553708F90E.png

1 hour ago, Aqualung said:

The swedes I've met are really really nice folk. I've only ever met a couple of scrotes in 20 odd visits there. 

The problem is... They are too nice and bury their heads in the sand when things get a bit difficult. I have a very good friend there, a lovely guy. Both his elderly mum and her partner who reside in a care home are now in hospital with covid. They live in Bostad, on the West coast and outside of care homes there's very few reported cases there. My friends response even when the doctors at the hospital decided to update his mother's worsening condition was that he thought Sweden was doing the right thing. 

I really hope his mother and her partner will be OK. Discharged from hospital and back to the care home!!!!! 

Also, my TW lives and works there and as soon (if!!!!) the swedish government decides to close restaurants I've told her to get out and stay at home. Bollocks to her boss. 

Swedes are bull-headed. I know, Mom was Half Swede. lol I won't be following their lead. Just worried they may need more body-bags than ventilators.

• Like 1

Reports on COVID-19 from top business consultants.
Resource page:

https://www.mmc.com/insights/coronavirus.html?utm_source=exacttarget&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mmc-hub-banner&utm_content=opco-oliver-wyman

Marsh & McLennan Companies, Inc. is a global professional services firm, headquartered in New York City with businesses in insurance brokerage, risk management, reinsurance services, talent management, investment advisory, and management consulting. Its four main operating companies are Guy Carpenter, Marsh, Mercer, and Oliver Wyman Group. 

Marsh & McLennan's 2016 revenue of $13.2 billion ranked it #1 on Business Insurance's ranking of the world's largest insurance brokers 

Edited by lazarus

Just watched a Newsnight report from Stockholm. 

The Swedes were saying that a quarter of Stockholm might have had the virus by the end of the month, might! 

They don't know, no one knows, and they were quite open about saying that.

Their death toll is also 6 times what Norway next door is. 

Also, their population in the main are much more compliant with the Government's advice about social distancing, not like many of the dickheads in the UK when the UK Government asked them to do the same, fucking mass crowds all over the place, a more strict lockdown had to happen. 

3 hours ago, Krapow said:

Just seen another report about this just now.

Wonder will it spread, people getting pissed off with the lockdown.

Lockdown is not the reason this sparked. In fact it is well known that police has instructions not to be too strict with the lockdown enforcement in those suburbs, to avoid incidents.

Police chasing a motorbike thief, and the guy getting killed started this one.

After that it spreads like wildfire. Happened dozens of times in the past.

Drug business probably down a bit due to lack of "good citizens" customers.

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

Just watched a Newsnight report from Stockholm. 

The Swedes were saying that a quarter of Stockholm might have had the virus by the end of the month, might! 

They don't know, no one knows, and they were quite open about saying that.

Their death toll is also 6 times what Norway next door is. 

Also, their population in the main are much more compliant with the Government's advice about social distancing, not like many of the dickheads in the UK when the UK Government asked them to do the same, fucking mass crowds all over the place, a more strict lockdown had to happen. 

Sorry mate..... They are no different than us in the UK. Especially when the the sun is out. TW told me yesterday that the grassy areas by the river Nissan were packed with folk (Halmstad). 

Halmstad also has a beach and over the last weekend it was busy there also. Living in a winter time there is feckin dull to say the least so when the sun comes out swedes tend to go outside and enjoy it. 

4 hours ago, Aqualung said:

You don’t win Stanley Cups with Swedes.

• Haha 1