The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

5 hours ago, Glasseye said:

My parents were always saying how there isn't much cancer in the family blood lines (both sides for me). And then, bang, mom got it at 76 she was gone at 78. You just never know.

I'm like you.... if I get some stage 4 lung cancer or something I'm finished. But I ain't joking, before I get to the stage where I am shitting in my pants and can barely get around there will be a couple of other mo fo's going down. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

I've always said if you have a strong heart you have a big advanatge.

All three of my sisters were diagnosed with breast cancer over the years, the last one who is 3 years older than me was diagnosed a month ago. The first one lasted 6 weeks from diagnosis in Tasmania after complaining of a back ache, it turned out after scans that it had started in her breasts, but had spread all up her spine.

The second sister who had breast cancer in Brisbane lasted a few years and I flew to Australia to see her for the last time as I and her 3 grown up boys took her into hospital for  an operation to remove a huge tumour in her intestines, not to cure her, but to help her breathe for her last 2 months.
She had both breasts and all her under arm and neck glands removed, but unfortunately after other treatments, in was discovered that it had come back whilst she was on a visit to the UK, she went back to Australia for further treatment, but to no avail.
The third was only diagnosed 2 months ago and underwent breast removal, but unfortunately it had spread to both of her lungs, so radio/chemotherapy were out of the question, so she has been put on tablets to stop her producing oestrogen as that is what this cancer feeds on. Hopefully it will halt further growth, but we’ll have to wait and see. 

Mother died young at 57, so I don’t know if she would have developed it or not, but the gene obviously came down through her. 

Dad lived until he was 107 and was only ill for 2 days before he died, so I’m guessing it didn’t come from his genes. 

I’m still hanging in there, but only just. 😜

Edited by KhunDon
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 2/25/2023 at 10:54 AM, galenkia said:

Seeing as all the posts on these subjects seem to get spread around various threads, I thought I’d start one where we can keep them all together in one thread.

Anyway, picked up my medication this morning. This is what I’m on, 5mg a day to start with.

BP was 158/109 this morning and will take it again this evening. Need to do this twice a day for the doctor to see.

Also did 8415 steps or 4.15 miles while out earlier.

774DB1FF-EC50-43CF-9E4A-12F5F50D7588.jpeg

Been on 10mg Amlodipine daily for 20 years since second heart attack and my Bp is never above 125 over 65 at rest and I’m 71 now. 
Obviously it’s higher after a walk etc. Now though walks are out of the question due to hips and spine. Cardiologist said last year I’ve done very well on it and I should continue to take it. 
I did try taking it in the evenings against Doc’s advice, but found it not to be as effective (Bp shot up?) as taking it in the morning with brekky, so for at least 19 years now it’s necked in the mornings. 

Good luck mate. 👍

• Great Info 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/25/2023 at 1:42 PM, Glasseye said:

Impact sports mate. Contussions to the joints, etc.

A couple years ago I developed lower back issues. Basically a buldging disk. The initial pain was extrodinary. I took steroids and muscle relaxants my first two weeks. Began doing basic back exercises and continued to walk through the pain (blood flow helps with the inflammation). Over time things have improved but not to the level I would like. The pain is always there, but I have learned to tolerate it. I also believe that in time I can improve even more.

Around the time this disk thing developed I began to notice my neck (upper spine) cracking. I never had this before. It is very noticable. Doesn't hurt much but it annoys the piss out of me. I asked doc if there is anything that can be done. I figured it is primarily a build up of calcium (ageing). I kind of smiled as I was  asking him because I pretty much knew what the answer would be. He kind of smiled back because he knew I knew. He just answered "nope". We both got a chuckle out of it. 

We get stiff and creaky as we age, try to manage it the best we can, expect some pain. In time hopefully things will improve. When this kind of stuff first hits us it is depressing, as time goes we learn tricks and routines to better manage. Do whatever you can to keep the blood flowing. Paraplegics even have upper body row machines, there are things you can do to keep the blood flow up without banging your knees.

You mentioned the cracking from your upper neck area and how annoying it is. I get a lot of pain from my knee/hip but the thing that like you really pisses me off is the constant cracking I get, in my case, in my knee.

The "experts" completely ignore my knee referring always to it being residual pain from my hip. There may be an element in that but it feels to me that I am walking bone on bone in my knee.

• Sad 2

What is the overall recovery time for an all out hip replacement....as in, when do you actually feel better and can get on with life? I know it would vary from person to person, how bad it is etc. 

Nothing but the best going forward...

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Yessongs said:

What is the overall recovery time for an all out hip replacement....as in, when do you actually feel better and can get on with life? I know it would vary from person to person, how bad it is etc. 

Nothing but the best going forward...

Well the actual operation seems to be relatively routine these days. From U-tube videos I have viewed they have you up and walking almost immediately like the next day.

I have been on my *diet in hope that my luck would turn and I would receive notification of when I could look forward to the operation. I thought that getting down to my target weight would make the recovery period so much easier. There is bound to be a post operative exercise program to be followed.

I remember Larry (Soi 7) having his double hip replacement and although I cannot recall how long he took to recover it did not seem to have been all that long. What I do know, for sure, was that for maybe years after he used to go on a long walk almost every day.

Today I am hobbling around with the aid of a walking stick and in great pain. If after the operation I can throw away the stick for ever and walk again albeit maybe with some discomfort I will settle for that for sure.

*I received the good news phone calls whilst doing my usual Friday visit to my daughter. When she was giving me a lift back home she suggested celebrating the good news. I broke my diet for the only time in 13 weeks by sitting in the car and eating something called a "Fleurie Galaxy" ice cream from McDonalds. It was delicious! 🤣

Edited by Jambo
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Well the actual operation seems to be relatively routine these days. From U-tube videos I have viewed they have you up and walking almost immediately like the next day.

I have been on my *diet in hope that my luck would turn and I would receive notification of when I could look forward to the operation. I thought that getting down to my target weight would make the recovery period so much easier. There is bound to be a post operative exercise program to be followed.

I remember Larry (Soi 7) having his double hip replacement and although I cannot recall how long he took to recover it did not seem to have been all that long. What I do know, for sure, was that for maybe years after he used to go on a long walk almost every day.

Today I am hobbling around with the aid of a walking stick and in great pain. If after the operation I can throw away the stick for ever and walk again albeit maybe with some discomfort I will settle for that for sure.

*I received the good news phone calls whilst doing my usual Friday visit to my daughter. When she was giving me a lift back home she suggested celebrating the good news. I broke my diet for the only time in 13 weeks by sitting in the car and eating something called a "Fleurie Galaxy" ice cream from McDonalds. It was delicious! 🤣

Larry @Yesitisdakid is still getting around fine on his replacement hips. Happen to see him on a morning walk a couple of weeks ago and parted ways after walking with him about 6km.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, Jambo said:

A BIG 10-4 on this news mate !   Cheers !

Please post piss bag pic when appropriate.     :default_crazy:

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Jambo said:

More power to your sails Jambo.

Get the operation done, recover and look forward to a return to Thailand.

All the Best.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 7/29/2023 at 3:42 PM, Jambo said:

Took me a month to recover. I am walking 6 to 10km daily and the hips are fine no pain at all despite the doctor telling me i may need to have them done again in 12 to 15 years. Its been 14 years and feel great.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

23 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Took me a month to recover. I am walking 6 to 10km daily and the hips are fine no pain at all despite the doctor telling me i may need to have them done again in 12 to 15 years. Its been 14 years and feel great.

You are the epitome of how regular exercise can minimize pain. The blood flow brings down inflammation which is what creates the pain.

• Great Info 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Jambo said:

Its good news week!

Letter received today from NHS Scotland advising my hip operation booked in for the 15th September.

I did check and it is 2023. 🙂

I am so glad I have stuck to my diet for the last 13 weeks.

My GP could not have been exaggerating when he mentioned how bad my most recent x-rays had been.

That's awesome Dan, reward for your hard work and loosing weight is hard work, especially if you can't exercise. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Looking to buy a rowing machine, second hand, but I know very little about them, and advertisers on Facebook Market, give little info but usually make/model and a picture. I want something that's fairly powerful but can stand or fold. 

What is best? Magnetic, water or the ones with the round spindle at one end ? 

The ones they have in my local leisure centre are very expensive to buy, and I am only looking to pay around £100 quid, on the basis that I might use it a few times and get bored😁  

The second hand market is selling quite low, mainly because probably other people have bought them with the best intentions then never use them.

I just want to do 15 minutes a day, put on a bit of music, then fold it away. 

2 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Looking to buy a rowing machine, second hand, but I know very little about them, and advertisers on Facebook Market, give little info but usually make/model and a picture. I want something that's fairly powerful but can stand or fold. 

What is best? Magnetic, water or the ones with the round spindle at one end ? 

The ones they have in my local leisure centre are very expensive to buy, and I am only looking to pay around £100 quid, on the basis that I might use it a few times and get bored😁  

The second hand market is selling quite low, mainly because probably other people have bought them with the best intentions then never use them.

I just want to do 15 minutes a day, put on a bit of music, then fold it away. 

Decathlon is the answer for most sporting goods.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/folding-rowing-machine-100/_/R-p-305160?mc=8527501

£160 for their own brand, foldable machine with decent reviews.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Have a feeling there may be branch near you. Sitting on it before buying is definitely the way forward( or forwards and backwards I guess!)

Yes. I am quite tall and heavy and it's hard to gauge unless actually sat in one. Mu last ditch attempt at getting fit before I travel in Sept/Oct. They have a gym where I am staying so the plan is to continue while I am away. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just finished another foursome of night security shifts and my fitness tracker shows between 13K and 19K steps a night, with up to 23 staircases climbed - fairly accurate as one of my venues has two four story wings (five including basement) and I never use the elevators. I don't mind the walking but find getting in and out of the pickup fifty times a night becomes  tiresome  - at my age getting up on my feet seems a strain no matter what I am doing. 

• Like 4