The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

3 minutes ago, Zeb said:

It is healthy - the fat in in it is the 'healthy' kind - Omega 3 fatty acids which makes our blood less likely to clot and develop heart disease etc. The protein is also important, more so as we age.

Walnuts & Chia seeds are also good sources Omega 3 fatty acids.

I was surprised at its 191 cals figure, as someone who needs to control his weight and actively monitors what i eat.

4 hours ago, Zeb said:

It is healthy - the fat in in it is the 'healthy' kind - Omega 3 fatty acids which makes our blood less likely to clot and develop heart disease etc. The protein is also important, more so as we age.

I have studied this subject quite a bit...

If you want to know about fish oil and EPA DHA read this......This is what I have learned...Yea, it's long....But it's pretty good info....

All the seeds with omega have alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) that has to be covered to Omega 3 ( Omega 3 )  polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs)....For the body to use..

The problem with this is some people's bodies do a very poor job of the conversion...Some people's bodies do a so/so job of the conversion...Some people's bodies do an ok job of the conversion....

So why mess around with omega seeds that have alpha-linolenic acid (ALA)....Best stick to getting the real stuff...

So let's start from the beginning again with  ( Omega 3 )  polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs)  eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) Fish oil......

And let's start at the beginning of the beginning on where Omega 3 comes from...

Fish get their omega-3 content from algae, consumed directly or through the food chain, because they are incapable of producing EPA and DHA.

marine_algae_oil_source_1eb94c84-c1d9-43

OMEGA 3 DOES NOT COME FROM FISH IT COMES FROM ALGAE....

So why do you only read or hear about Fish oil Fish oil Fish oil endlessly?  a billion zillion times? and not algae?

I will tell you why....Because fish oil can be/is a very profitable by-product of fish and the fish processors want to make top dollar....So they do not want to talk about the real source of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)...Alage...

I am not saying all fish oil is bad because it does contain eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).....What is bad is the lack of education on the subject.....

So.......Look at the above chart......

The algae produce the eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) then small fish eat the algae the bigger fish eat the smaller fish and so on and then the eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) ends up in salmon...

All this may be well and good if the fish oil came from wild salmon and the oil was not cut with any fillers.....

https://lipidworld.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1476-511X-13-190

Comparative analysis of EPA and DHA in fish oil nutritional capsules

The contents of EPA and DHA in ten batches of fish oil capsule samples as compared to price ( n = 3).

figure 3

Conclusion

There is a significant variation in the contents of the quantified components in fish oil samples, and there is not a linear relationship between price and contents of EPA and DHA.

This is just one study...But you can see EPA and DHA. levels in the different brands vary wildly.....In other words, most of the fish oil sellers LIE LIE and LIE about the amount of  EPA and DHA. in their supplements....

So you're often paying good money for shit.......

I will say one thing any fish oil that has any kind of fillers in it like soybean oil or any other kind of filler is guaranteed to be 100% shit...

Not only this but I have been taking fish oil for a very long time..From the 1980s till about 2005-2006 I was able to find ok fish oil that I got good results from....But after 2006 it seems all the fish oil I tried (and I tried many) was shit....Some of the fish oil was a bit better than others but there was a serious drop in quality in all I tried....Why? I don't know why..

So you say why not just take algae then....Good question...

First, let me say algae oil is not cheap or really easy to find...So I bought this product to test to see in algae EPA and DHA was any good....

I thought the effects from the EPA and DHA were considerably better than the current fish oil on the market but it was not as good as the old fish oil I use to buy....So even though it was better I did not think it was worth the price...

Maybe algae oil uncut would be great? I don't know. But it would be very expensive that I do know...

So back to square #1.....For me.....

image.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/Barleans-Lemonade-Supplement-Liquid-Non-GMO/dp/B0B6GMMMSY

PLANT BASED OMEGA 3 SUPPLEMENT: Barlean’s Vegan Omega-3 algae oil is loaded with EPA and DHA essential fatty acids from vegan algea oil to help support heart, brain, joint, eye and immune system health. Omega 3 oil features 630 mg Omegas 3 per delicious serving

Next, let's look at what fish have the highest EPA DHA

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C2CHBD_enTH885TH885&q=fish+highest+epa+dha+-site:pinterest.*&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj2qe7OraaAAxUuxTgGHdv8Bw8Q0pQJegQIDRAB&biw=809&bih=381&dpr=1.5#imgrc=erGaS--8UE1eCM

3 Total fat, EPA and DHA content of different fish species

EPA and DHA content in selected foods, supplements and seafood items available in supermarkets in Honolulu, Hawaii. The EPA and DHA content for "Foods and Supplements" is in mg/serving, with the serving size listed for each item. All other items are listed on mg/100g (3.53 oz) basis. EPA and DHA data was compiled from the Composite Seafood Database [20] with the following exceptions: values for frozen and previously frozen shrimp items are based on data from Krzynowek and Panunzio [22]; values for farmed and wild tilapia are based on data from Karapanagiotidis et al. [23]; values for trout and Atlantic salmon are based on data from Blanchet et al. [24]. The processing method is specified only for items where different values were available based on the method of processing.

Top 3......

Atlantic farmed Salmon, Anchovy, Sardines....

#1....Sardines....I have eaten canned sardines a million times....I don't know what they do to canned sardines but I have never noticed any of EPA DHA benefits at all...zero...Maybe it's all heavily irradiated? I crossed this one off the list....

#2....Atlantic farmed Salmon....I have no idea on God's green earth how a farmed salmon could be eating more algae than a wild salmon...I have always felt better with wild salmon...Anyways who knows where salmon comes from anyways in the supermarket? Plus salmon is expensive   NEXT.....

#3... Anchovy...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchovy

The anchovy eats plankton...The anchovy is a significant food source for almost every predatory fish...

Anchovies are not farm-raised...100% caught wild...They eat plankton and plankton eat algae...So Anchovies are very close to the original source of EPA DHA algae and are loaded with EPA DHA....

Canned Anchovies are VERY VERY EXPENSIVE for a tiny amount....Next....

But I did find these anchovies on Lazada to try out that were priced ok......To see if the beneficial EPA DHA was any good in Anchovies...

image.jpeg

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i2281370519-s7666062971.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1

Results....Anchovies kicked major ass..The beneficial EPA DHA was huge.....Unprocessed unfiltered wild raw anti-inflammatory EPA DHA....Best I ever had.....

Only one problem with these Anchovies, they put way way to much salt in it to be eaten as a health supplement long term.....

So then I had the idea to buy some dried Anchovies on Lazada and try them out..

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=anchovies+dried&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.home.search.go.11257f6dcvmLQr

Yes, Anchovies are somewhat naturally salty...But the vast majority of the saltiness comes from the added salt that is used as a preservative....

So I washed much of the salt off the dried Anchovies re-dried the Anchovies put them in a food processor added sunflower oil Just like the above Robo Anchovies had (CLEARANCE SALE! 120G !!! ROBO ANCHOVY FILLET Pieces IN SUNFLOWER OIL}....

The final result...

Lots of very good quality healthy unprocessed EPA DHA at a cheap price.....A bit salty but nothing crazy....Taste ok and works well...

Edited by fforest
  • Thanks 3
  • Great Info 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, lazarus said:

360135129_606540791628346_2180265922866216677_n.jpg

8 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

He's me eating salmon regularly thinking its very healthy lol

With the exception of Tuna I eat all the above fish plus smoked haddock as the fish half of my carnivore diet. I also add chopped smoked salmon off/cuts in scrambled egg.

Completed 14 weeks on Sunday and total weight loss now 16.5 kilos (2.5 stone)

I think that before I started this diet I must have been well into the pre-diabetic range. A blood test a month ago had me right on the line and my GP is no longer concerned particularly as my kidney function was normal. They do not like one taking diclofenac for too long.

I monitor my blood pressure on a daily basis as I have for years. I was very concerned that it went up as soon as I began taking the pain meds for my hip/knee whilst at the same time I allowed my weight to climb. I am still taking the meds, even more so now, but as my weight reduced so did my BP readings. Just took this mornings reading which was 117/73 which for somebody my age who can do little meaningful exercise is fine. 

As far as I am concerned, all fish is healthy and works for me.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Zeb said:

It is healthy - the fat in it is the 'healthy' kind - Omega 3 fatty acids which makes our blood less likely to clot and develop heart disease etc. The protein is also important, more so as we age.

Salmon is so healthy, eat at least twice a week. Chia seeds are on my oats and Greek yoghurt every day.

• Thumbs Up 2

I eat plenty of fish,fresh,tinned & smoked and love it.The missus buys whole salmon from Billingsgate,also bass,bream,squid & king prawns.

I also take an Omega 3 capsule daily.

PS Before anyone thinks I'm some sort of health food nut I just had a Dickinson & Morris Melton Mowbray pork pie for my lunch & it was superb.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, Jambo said:

With the exception of Tuna I eat all the above fish plus smoked haddock as the fish half of my carnivore diet. I also add chopped smoked salmon off/cuts in scrambled egg.

Completed 14 weeks on Sunday and total weight loss now 16.5 kilos (2.5 stone)

I think that before I started this diet I must have been well into the pre-diabetic range. A blood test a month ago had me right on the line and my GP is no longer concerned particularly as my kidney function was normal. They do not like one taking diclofenac for too long.

I monitor my blood pressure on a daily basis as I have for years. I was very concerned that it went up as soon as I began taking the pain meds for my hip/knee whilst at the same time I allowed my weight to climb. I am still taking the meds, even more so now, but as my weight reduced so did my BP readings. Just took this mornings reading which was 117/73 which for somebody my age who can do little meaningful exercise is fine. 

As far as I am concerned, all fish is healthy and works for me.

Well done D, keep up the good work mate.

• Thumbs Up 1

A CNN article on how a healthy lifestyle can add years to your life. I'm hoping that by going out drinking with friends, socializing (point no. 8), will counteract point no. 6. :default_cheers:

These 8 habits could add up to 24 years to your life, study says

No. 1: First on the list was exercise, which many experts say is one of the most important behaviors anyone can do to improve their health. Adding that one healthy behavior produced a 46% decrease in the risk of death from any cause when compared with those who did not exercise, Nguyen said.

“We looked at whether they did light, moderate or vigorous activity compared to not doing anything and just sitting on the couch,” Nguyen said. “People who lived longer did 7.5 metabolic equivalent hours of exercise a week. Just to give you a baseline — if you can walk up a flight of stairs without losing your breath, that’s four minutes of the 7.5.”

That finding echoes results from other studies that show you don’t have to do extreme sports to get the health benefits of exercise, although more vigorous activities that cause you to lose your breath are best.

No. 2: Not becoming addicted to opioids was the second most important contributor to a longer life, reducing the risk of early death by 38%, the study found. That’s a significant issue today, with the opioid crisis in the US a national “public health emergency,” an agency within the Department of Health and Human Services reported.

No. 3: Never using tobacco reduced risk of death by 29%, the study found. If a person was a former smoker, that didn’t count: “We did that to make it as strict as we could,” Nguyen said. However, stopping smoking at any point in life confers major health benefits, experts say.

No. 4: Managing stress was next, reducing early death by 22%, the study found. Stress is rampant in the US today, with devastating consequences for health, experts say. And there are ways to revamp your outlook and turn bad stress into good stress.

No. 5: Eating a plant-based diet would raise your chances of living a longer life by 21%, the study found. But that doesn’t mean you have to be a vegetarian or vegan, Nguyen said. Following a healthy plant-based plan such as the Mediterranean diet full of whole grains and leafy green vegetables was key.

No. 6: Avoiding binge drinking — which is having more than four alcoholic beverages a day — was another healthy lifestyle habit, reducing the risk of death by 19%, Nguyen said. Binge drinking is on the rise in the US, and it’s not just college students. Even moderate drinkers are at risk, studies say.

In addition, other studies have found that any amount of drinking may be unhealthy, except perhaps, for heart attacks and stroke, and even that finding has been challenged. One study found than even one drink may trigger an irregular heart rhythm called atrial fibrillation.

No. 7: Getting a good night’s sleep — defined as at least seven to nine hours a night with no insomnia — reduced early death from any cause by 18%, Nguyen said. Dozens of studies have linked poor sleep to all sorts of poor health outcomes, including premature mortality.

No. 8: Being surrounded by positive social relationships helped longevity by 5%, the study found. However, loneliness and isolation, especially among older adults, is becoming more widespread and worrisome, experts say.

“Five percent may seem small, but that’s still a decrease in terms of all-cause mortality,” Nguyen said. “Every little bit helps, whether you pick physical activity or make sure you’re surrounded by positive social support.”

A recent study found people who experienced social isolation had a 32% higher risk of dying early from any cause compared with those who weren’t socially isolated. Participants who reported feeling lonely were 14% more likely to die early than those who did not.
  • Great Info 4

Interesting piece about medical testing and life expectancy.

https://www.nytimes.com/section/health

THE NEW OLD AGE

A Number That Should Guide Your Health Choices (It’s Not Your Age)

Life expectancy increasingly figures into calculations about whether screenings and treatments are appropriate. Here’s how to find out yours.

•  

25SCI-span-testing-articleLarge.jpg?qual Credit...John P. Dessereau

25SCI-span-testing-articleLarge.jpg?qual

At her annual visit, the patient’s doctor asks if she plans to continue having regular mammograms to screen for breast cancer, and then reminds her that it’s been almost 10 years since her last colonoscopy.

She’s 76. Hmmm.

The patient’s age alone may be an argument against further mammogram appointments. The independent and influential U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, in its latest draft guidelines, recommends screening mammograms for women 40 to 74, but says “the current evidence is insufficient to assess the balance of benefits and harms of screening mammography in women age 75 years or older.”

Screening for colorectal cancer, with a colonoscopy or with a less invasive test, becomes similarly questionable at advanced ages. The task force gives it a C grade for those 76 to 85, meaning there’s “at least moderate certainty that the net benefit is small.” It should only be offered selectively, the guidelines say.

But what else is true about this hypothetical woman? Is she playing tennis twice a week? Does she have heart disease? Did her parents live well into their 90s? Does she smoke?

Any or all such factors affect her life expectancy, which in turn could make future cancer screenings either useful, pointless or actually harmful. The same considerations apply to an array of health decisions at older ages, including those involving drug regimens, surgeries, other treatments and screenings.

“It doesn’t make sense to draw these lines by age,” said Dr. Steven Woloshin, an internist and director of the Center for Medicine and Media at the Dartmouth Institute. “It’s age plus other factors that limit your life.”

Slowly, therefore, some medical associations and health advocacy groups have begun to shift their approaches, basing recommendations about tests and treatments on life expectancy rather than simply age.

“Life expectancy gives us more information than age alone,” said Dr. Sei Lee, a geriatrician at the University of California, San Francisco. “It leads to better decision making more often.”

Some recent task force recommendations already reflect this broader view. For older people undergoing lung cancer tests, for instance, the guidelines advise considering factors like smoking history and “a health problem that substantially limits life expectancy” in deciding when to discontinue screening.

The task force’s colorectal screening guidelines call for considering an older patient’s “health status (e.g., life expectancy, co-morbid conditions), prior screening status and individual preferences.”

The American College of Physicians similarly incorporates life expectancy into its prostate cancer screening guidelines; so does the American Cancer Society, in its guidelines for breast cancer screening for women over 55.

But how does that 76-year-old woman know how long she will live? How does anybody know?

A 75-year-old has an average life expectancy of 12 years. But when Dr. Eric Widera, a geriatrician at the University of California, San Francisco, analyzed census data from 2019, he found enormous variation.

The data shows that the least healthy 75-year-olds, those in the lowest 10 percent, were likely to die in about three years. Those in the top 10 percent would probably live for another 20 or so.

All these predictions are based on averages and can’t pinpoint life expectancy for individuals. But just as doctors constantly use risk calculators to decide, say, whether to prescribe drugs to prevent osteoporosis or heart disease, consumers can use online tools to get ballpark estimates.

For instance, Dr. Woloshin and his late wife and research partner, Dr. Lisa Schwartz, helped the National Cancer Institute develop the Know Your Chances calculator, which went online in 2015. Initially, it used age, sex and race (but only two, Black or white, because of limited data) to predict the odds of dying from specific common diseases and the odds of mortality overall over a span of five to 20 years.

The institute recently revised the calculator to add smoking status, a critical factor in life expectancy and one that, unlike the other criteria, users have some control over.

“Personal choices are driven by priorities and fears, but objective information can help inform those decisions,” said Dr. Barnett Kramer, an oncologist who directed the institute’s Division of Cancer Prevention when it published the calculator.

He called it “an antidote to some of the fear-mongering campaigns that patients see all the time on television,” courtesy of drug manufacturers, medical organizations, advocacy groups and alarmist media reports. “The more information they can glean from these tables, the more they can arm themselves against health care choices that don’t help them,” Dr. Kramer said. Unnecessary testing, he pointed out, can lead to overdiagnosis and overtreatment.

A number of health institutions and groups provide disease-specific online calculators. The American College of Cardiology offers a “risk estimator” for cardiovascular disease. A National Cancer Institute calculator assesses breast cancer risk, and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center provides one for lung cancer.

Calculators that look at single diseases, however, don’t usually compare the risks to those of mortality from other causes. “They don’t give you the context,” Dr. Woloshin said.

Probably the broadest online tool for estimating life expectancy in older adults is ePrognosis, developed in 2011 by Dr. Widera, Dr. Lee and several other geriatricians and researchers. Intended for use by health care professionals but also available to consumers, it offers about two dozen validated geriatric scales that estimate mortality and disability.

The calculators, some for patients living on their own and others for those in nursing homes or hospitals, incorporate considerable information about health history and current functional ability. Helpfully, there’s a “time to benefit” instrument that illustrates which screenings and interventions may remain useful at specific life expectancies.

Consider our hypothetical 76-year-old. If she’s a healthy never-smoker who is experiencing no problems with daily activities and is able, among other things, to walk a quarter mile without difficulty, a mortality scale on ePrognosis shows that her extended life expectancy makes mammography a reasonable choice, regardless of what age guidelines say.

“The risk of just using age as a cutoff means we’re sometimes undertreating” very healthy seniors, Dr. Widera said.

If she’s a former smoker with lung disease, diabetes and limited mobility, on the other hand, the calculator indicates that while she probably should continue taking a statin, she can end breast cancer screening.

“Competing mortality” — the chance that another illness will cause her death before the one being screened for — means that she will probably not live long enough to see a benefit.

Of course, patients will continue to make decisions of their own. Life expectancy is a guide, not a limit on medical care. Some older people don’t ever want to stop screenings, even when the data shows they’re no longer helpful.

And some have exactly zero interest in discussing their life expectancy; so do some of their doctors. Either party can over- or underestimate risks and benefits.

“Patients simply will say, ‘I had a great-uncle who lived to 103,’” Dr. Kramer recalled. “Or if you tell someone, ‘Your chances of long-term survival are one in 1,000,’ a strong psychological mechanism leads people to say, ‘Oh thank God, I thought it was hopeless.’ I saw it all the time.”

But for those seeking to make health decisions on evidence-based calculations, the online tools provide valuable context beyond age alone. Considering projected life expectancy, “You’ll know what to focus on, as opposed to being frightened by whatever’s in the news that day,” Dr. Woloshin said. “It anchors you.”

The developers want patients to discuss these predictions with their medical providers, however, and caution against making decisions without their involvement.

“This is meant to be a jumping-off point” for conversations, Dr. Woloshin said. “It’s possible to make much more informed decisions — but you need some help.”

‘Hypocritical’ BMA offers staff pay rise lower than deal it rejected

The British Medical Association has been accused of “staggering hypocrisy” after offering its staff a lower pay rise than the “derisory” offer it rejected from the Government for striking doctors.

On Monday, a leaked email emerged from the union’s chief executive setting out a “full and final offer” of 5.25 per cent to its workers, plus a one-off payment of £1,000.

Many of the BMA staff, such as policy and support officers, are likely to earn less than the average pay of junior doctors – many earn more than £50,000 – and nearly all will earn less than the average £134,000 salary of consultants.

When Rishi Sunak unveiled a pay rise of 6 per cent earlier this month, both groups dismissed it and vowed to carry on the strikes that took place last week.

Despite teachers calling off their strike for a similar – 6.5 per cent – rise, the BMA was scathing of the Prime Minister’s offer, describing it as “derisory”.

7 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

A CNN article on how a healthy lifestyle can add years to your life. I'm hoping that by going out drinking with friends, socializing (point no. 8), will counteract point no. 6. :default_cheers:

These 8 habits could add up to 24 years to your life, study says

No. 1: First on the list was exercise, which many experts say is one of the most important behaviors anyone can do to improve their health. Adding that one healthy behavior produced a 46% decrease in the risk of death from any cause when compared with those who did not exercise, Nguyen said.

"Exercise according to the experts is the No.1 factor in improving ones health and life expectancy"

I have been a distance runner; footballer; golfer; jogger; hiker, and daily cyclist.

So how come I have osteoarthritis in both knees, take two types of opioids to counter the pain and am in the queue waiting for a hip replacement operation?

I love "experts".

I tried to obtain clarification from my medical "expert" as to whether it is safe to take oral morphine in addition to co-codamol or instead of co-codamol. That has never been made clear to me. The first appointment for me to speak to him over the telephone is 10:00am on 25th August.

Not being completely stupid, in the interim I have taken the default position of if I feel the need to take the oral morphine I skip the co-codomol.  Neither appear to make any difference anyway.

• Sad 1

The wife buys whole fresh salmon around 3 times a week from Tescos fish stalls and it’s on the menu regularly in our house. 
My favourite is steamed salmon with some Pak Choi and Chinese Red Vinegar, or Japanese Soy Sauce. Simple, quick and tasty. 

She used to ask the fishmonger for fish heads from Tesco whenever she bought an expensive whole salmon, to make fish head curry, which they always gave her for free, but some asshole cottoned on to many Thai women doing the same, so now they charge for something they would normally throw in the bin! 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Jambo said:

"Exercise according to the experts is the No.1 factor in improving ones health and life expectancy"

I have been a distance runner; footballer; golfer; jogger; hiker, and daily cyclist.

So how come I have osteoarthritis in both knees, take two types of opioids to counter the pain and am in the queue waiting for a hip replacement operation?

I love "experts".

I tried to obtain clarification from my medical "expert" as to whether it is safe to take oral morphine in addition to co-codamol or instead of co-codamol. That has never been made clear to me. The first appointment for me to speak to him over the telephone is 10:00am on 25th August.

Not being completely stupid, in the interim I have taken the default position of if I feel the need to take the oral morphine I skip the co-codomol.  Neither appear to make any difference anyway.

Impact sports mate. Contussions to the joints, etc.

A couple years ago I developed lower back issues. Basically a buldging disk. The initial pain was extrodinary. I took steroids and muscle relaxants my first two weeks. Began doing basic back exercises and continued to walk through the pain (blood flow helps with the inflammation). Over time things have improved but not to the level I would like. The pain is always there, but I have learned to tolerate it. I also believe that in time I can improve even more.

Around the time this disk thing developed I began to notice my neck (upper spine) cracking. I never had this before. It is very noticable. Doesn't hurt much but it annoys the piss out of me. I asked doc if there is anything that can be done. I figured it is primarily a build up of calcium (ageing). I kind of smiled as I was  asking him because I pretty much knew what the answer would be. He kind of smiled back because he knew I knew. He just answered "nope". We both got a chuckle out of it. 

We get stiff and creaky as we age, try to manage it the best we can, expect some pain. In time hopefully things will improve. When this kind of stuff first hits us it is depressing, as time goes we learn tricks and routines to better manage. Do whatever you can to keep the blood flowing. Paraplegics even have upper body row machines, there are things you can do to keep the blood flow up without banging your knees.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I am taking 2 weeks out of this healthy living life. I am having a few large beers a night with some wine but I am eating a Mediterranean diet.

Doing some swimming and walking, but expect to put a few lbs on. Got almost 6 weeks till my Thailand trip once back in UK.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, coxyhog said:

‘Hypocritical’ BMA offers staff pay rise lower than deal it rejected

The British Medical Association has been accused of “staggering hypocrisy” after offering its staff a lower pay rise than the “derisory” offer it rejected from the Government for striking doctors.

On Monday, a leaked email emerged from the union’s chief executive setting out a “full and final offer” of 5.25 per cent to its workers, plus a one-off payment of £1,000.

Many of the BMA staff, such as policy and support officers, are likely to earn less than the average pay of junior doctors – many earn more than £50,000 – and nearly all will earn less than the average £134,000 salary of consultants.

When Rishi Sunak unveiled a pay rise of 6 per cent earlier this month, both groups dismissed it and vowed to carry on the strikes that took place last week.

Despite teachers calling off their strike for a similar – 6.5 per cent – rise, the BMA was scathing of the Prime Minister’s offer, describing it as “derisory”.

Paste this into an e-mail and then re-paste it here to get the normal size type...

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

A couple years ago I developed lower back issues. Basically a buldging disk. The initial pain was extrodinary. I took steroids and muscle relaxants my first two weeks. Began doing basic back exercises and continued to walk through the pain (blood flow helps with the inflammation). Over time things have improved but not to the level I would like. The pain is always there, but I have learned to tolerate it. I also believe that in time I can improve even more.

Around the time this disk thing developed I began to notice my neck (upper spine) cracking. I never had this before. It is very noticable. Doesn't hurt much but it annoys the piss out of me. I asked doc if there is anything that can be done. I figured it is primarily a build up of calcium (ageing). I kind of smiled as I was  asking him because I pretty much knew what the answer would be. He kind of smiled back because he knew I knew. He just answered "nope". We both got a chuckle out of it. 

We get stiff and creaky as we age, try to manage it the best we can, expect some pain. In time hopefully things will improve. When this kind of stuff first hits us it is depressing, as time goes we learn tricks and routines to better manage. Do whatever you can to keep the blood flowing. Paraplegics even have upper body row machines, there are things you can do to keep the blood flow up without banging your knees.

Try Gabapentin it may help a lot or maybe not at all...It is cheap and easy to find...I use it for knots in my back (which I do not get often)...It clears them up within a few hours..

5 hours ago, Glasseye said:

I’ve got 4 discs gone in lower back and expecting a 5th to go soon and the private specialist spinal surgeon I saw a couple of years ago said there is nothing he can do, mainly due to my poor heart, as I wouldn’t survive the long operation.

3 years ago it manifested itself in 2 more discs going in the upper spine/neck which resulted in more pain and a year ago that increased to 3 discs, but also, weird headaches on the top of my head. 😟

My Gp suggested Carbamazepine 100mg rising to 200mg daily which reduced the headaches to a low level. Apparently, it’s used for epilepsy amongst other things. 

My Gp has been trying to reduce my morphine intake for a year or so now, as long term use isn’t recommended by NHS, but considering I’ve been taking it on and off for over 20+ years, I think I’m a lost cause. 🤣

Edited by KhunDon
  • Sad 3
  • Surprised 1

9 hours ago, Jambo said:

I love "experts".

I’m stage 4 for Osteoporosis in both hips and back and I take ALENDRONIC Acid tablets once a week for 5 years to help bones from losing calcium etc. 
I take slow release morphine tablets and liquid morphine for breakthrough pain when required, plus 3-4 thousand mg Paracetamol tablets daily. 
My Gp in a phone conversation today, wants to try me on Codeine in place of some morphine tablets, so I’m going to give it a go. 
Nothing lost, nothing gained. 😀

Edited by KhunDon
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

14 hours ago, Jambo said:

I love "experts".

As other BM's have posted, our body pays a price in later years for our sport activities in our early years.

I now have chronic, low level pain in my right shoulder. The pain is a result of a partial dislocation I suffered about 35 years ago attempting an Eskimo roll while whitewater kayaking in shallow rapids. The shoulder was fine for about 20 years, but as I've aged the joint has deteriorated from normal use and now it creates and pops as I use it.

Thing is, the memories of the fun and experiences of my early years was more than worth the price I'm paying now. Although I recognize it's easier to say that when the pain I'm experiencing is manageable without having to resort to opioids.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

Another secret to a longer life, adopt a pet.

https://habri.org/blog/shareable-infographic-can-pets-help-you-live-longer

Pets can contribute to healthy aging and even longer life! Studies suggest that pets can positively influence factors that contribute to longevity, including reducing stress, facilitating resiliency against cardiovascular disease, and connecting us to a network of social support.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Yessongs said:

Honest to God, I do not know what to say here. I feel bad for some of the absolute "shite" some of you guys have to go through seriously. 

In my case, I only played Baseball through the Collegiate level, never played Football, Basketball, Soccer or any other sport, no Tennis, anything you know. I have by the good grace of the lord here, been able to lead a very good lifestyle. I can still jog 3 times per week, still weight train etc. I have never been hospitalized, never had any surgery. Yearly Physicals are all good, never taken ANY medication for anything, still don't. Asked the Dr. here in Jan after my physical if at age 67,  if I should consider some sort of supplement for any reason and he said "No, for now, with your overall condition, just keep doing what you are doing" 

My Mom battled Cancer 3 times, which eventually got her, my Dad was a type 2 Diabetic, Renal Kidney Failure got him eventually. 

Check your ego at the door though, there are times at night when I think though, my time to deal with issues that might affect my life are coming. The question for me is, what are those going to be and because I have been so lucky in life ( Healthwise) are they going to be something that just can't be fixed and are possibly terminal? 

I am  sure alot of you like me, have seen up close and personal some absolute horrific family members go through some terrible things that they have to go through before passing. In 1992, I saw up close and personal, my ex Mother-In-Law fight Pancreatic Cancer, it was brutal to say the least. I swear to God, I have told wifey and my kids, If I ever get to that point, I am going to find a way to off myself. I am NOT going to deal with that. 

Have fun while we still can... is my motto these days. 

My parents were always saying how there isn't much cancer in the family blood lines (both sides for me). And then, bang, mom got it at 76 she was gone at 78. You just never know.

I'm like you.... if I get some stage 4 lung cancer or something I'm finished. But I ain't joking, before I get to the stage where I am shitting in my pants and can barely get around there will be a couple of other mo fo's going down. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

I've always said if you have a strong heart you have a big advanatge.

• Thumbs Up 1