The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

👍 Nothing since I came back from holiday , going to try and keep off it until my next trip 

It's amazing the difference booze makes to mine, especially after 3 or 4 days heavy drinking. 

I have been having 3 or 4 bottles every night and with the meds my BP has been good, see how it is after 2 weeks of the same. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, boydeste said:

It's amazing the difference booze makes to mine, especially after 3 or 4 days heavy drinking. 

I have been having 3 or 4 bottles every night and with the meds my BP has been good, see how it is after 2 weeks of the same. 

She also said if the cuff was too small , it can elevate... plus I had just had blood taken last time ..

• Thumbs Up 1

After being on Amlodopine since 15 March my feet & ankles were beginning to swell up(a recognised side effect) so now I'm on Cardide SR 1.5mg to go with the Ramipril 2.5mg.

Water retention increases BP which ain't good when you're taking them to reduce it.My BP the last few days has been back to where it was in March.

A side effect of Ramipril is a dry cough & I've got that as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coxyhog said:

After being on Amlodopine since 15 March my feet & ankles were beginning to swell up(a recognised side effect) so now I'm on Cardide SR 1.5mg to go with the Ramipril 2.5mg.

Water retention increases BP which ain't good when you're taking them to reduce it.My BP the last few days has been back to where it was in March.

A side effect of Ramipril is a dry cough & I've got that as well.

I noticed the swelling as well.

Took my Blood Pressure earlier and it was 120/86.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/22/2023 at 5:37 AM, galenkia said:

You ever have a HIV test?.

I never have, with my  needle sharing drug use and barebacking in Thailand I’m basically scared to get the results.

Good question Gally, i would imagine you would be ok as both of those activities are in your past and you have'nt partaken for quite some time, correct ehh ?

I've recently had an HIV test at a private hospital here in Korat, pleased to say it was negative. Now why did i need one ? f*** knows, i was in for a Turp procedure for my enlarged prostate/BPH problems and they deemed it necessary ?

Does anyone know why it was necessary ? i think it was bill padding pure and simple, i did'nt put up a fight as it was comforting to know i did'nt have HIV, not that i have done anything to deserve it.

• Like 1
  • Surprised 1

41 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Good question Gally, i would imagine you would be ok as both of those activities are in your past and you have'nt partaken for quite some time, correct ehh ?

I've recently had an HIV test at a private hospital here in Korat, pleased to say it was negative. Now why did i need one ? f*** knows, i was in for a Turp procedure for my enlarged prostate/BPH problems and they deemed it necessary ?

Does anyone know why it was necessary ? i think it was bill padding pure and simple, i did'nt put up a fight as it was comforting to know i did'nt have HIV, not that i have done anything to deserve it.

Think it's normal pre-op testing for blood-borne viruses.

Routine testing for HIV in patients undergoing elective surgery

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Probably a bit of bill padding in Thailand but, for most operations worldwide, it seems there is a reason when entering emergency departments or having the need for surgery.

Basic reasons really and a benefit to the patient (as well as the surgery team). 

HIV is a virus that damages the cells in your immune system and weakens your ability to fight everyday infections and disease

Knowledge of a persons medical state allows for the correct post operative care.

I have had quite a few HIV tests, both at work when being posted overseas and in Thailand for a bladder tumour removal. Got tested once after contracting Hep A in Philippines, never ate in Rick's Café again. Was on tenterhooks for a week when I got the news. Doctor said, do you want the good news or the bad news, was worried until he said, you don't have HIV but you do have Hep A, I was happy, weird. 

I also had an HIV test for my open heart surgery. I also needed a dental health letter for heart surgery.

Happy to be tested. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/2/2023 at 6:38 PM, coxyhog said:

Since I posted that my feet & ankles have returned to normal,my BP has come down and I've lost a couple of kilos.

I also feel so much better.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

If you didn't have high blood pressure before, there's a good chance you do now.

image.png

In 2017, new guidelines from the American Heart Association, the American College of Cardiology, and nine
other health organizations lowered the numbers for the diagnosis of hypertension (high blood pressure) to
130/80 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) and higher for all adults. The previous guidelines set the threshold
at 140/90 mm Hg for people younger than age 65 and 150/80 mm Hg for those ages 65 and older.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/reading-the-new-blood-pressure-guidelines

• Great Info 1
  • Surprised 1

On 5/22/2023 at 3:13 PM, Lemondropkid said:

It might sound mad but I'd strongly recommend starting the Couch to 5k from scratch, and following it with the proper rest days. It's a 9 week program, you'll be up to 5K in August by the end of it.

The program has a proven record of keeping injuries to a mimimun. It might seem ridiculous start of by running in 30 seconds bursts with a little walking for 5 mins, but from personal experience following it to the letter really does seem to build back up the strength in the legs following an injury.

I've managed a Parkrun (5K) once after a 6 month lay off no training. I asked an old school pal who is very highly qualified Personal Trainer after that Parkrun, what was the best way to get back into running. He told me to do the Couch to 5K from day one.

Thought he was nuts, but he was right.

Aside from back luck, many of my injuries have come from over doing it. I now think, I'm not a pro athelete, I'm not competing,  I'm certainly not young amymore- why take the risk?

So slowly and careful would be my recommendation,

I'm not following your advice, good though it is. I'm already on my gym programme and my knee is improved so trying this way.

I do about 2km running to start and also end with about 1.5km (these are both about 10min). I will try to build up to 2 x 2.5km them try to go for 5km.

• Thumbs Up 1

No baloney... :default_es0cw::default_bbq:

. . .

Are Some Processed Meats Worse for You Than Others?
Here’s what the experts say.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/29/well/eat/processed-meats.html

Hot dogs and baseball games. Bacon and Sunday mornings. Bratwurst and barbecues. American culture is steeped in joyous occasions featuring processed meats, but when that indulgence extends beyond the occasional celebration, experts say that you should cut back.

“The evidence is quite convincing that regular consumption of processed meats is detrimental to health, including colorectal cancer, Type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease,” said Dr. Frank Hu, a professor of nutrition and epidemiology and chair of the department of nutrition at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. And, overall, he added, most health experts agree that “processed meats are more harmful than nonprocessed meats.”

Processed meats can include ham, sausage, bacon, deli meats (such as bologna, smoked turkey and salami), hot dogs, jerky, pepperoni and even sauces made with those products. When meat is processed, it is transformed through curing, fermenting, smoking or salting in order to boost flavor and shelf life.

In 2015, the World Health Organization announced that processed meat was “carcinogenic to humans,” citing “sufficient evidence” that it caused colorectal cancer. The World Cancer Research Fund International recommends eating little, if any, processed meat, and limiting red meat to about three portions (or about 12 to 18 ounces) per week. It’s important to limit intake of red meat — most commonly beef and pork in the United States — even when it’s not processed, because it’s tied to not only cancer, but also heart disease, stroke and an overall risk of death. (In its 2015 announcement about processed meats, the W.H.O. classified red meat as “probably carcinogenic.”)

Experts can’t definitively recommend one type of processed meat over another because of the way research is currently conducted. “Most studies focus on highly consumed processed meats — hot dogs, bacon, sausages,” Dr. Hu said. So, because all types of processed meats get lumped together in most studies, he added, “it’s difficult to make a conclusive statement regarding which processed meats are better or worse than others.” And, he noted, people who tend to eat one type of processed meat tend to eat others, so it’s challenging to tease out the effect of one over another.

“Theoretically, you can argue that processed poultry and fish are not as bad as processed red meat,” Dr. Hu said, citing the lower saturated fat content of poultry and fish and the abundance of omega-3 fatty acids in certain types of fish. “But we don’t have evidence to support this,” he said, so until more research is done, treat processed poultry and fish products with similar caution.

One reason for such advice is that the main issue seems to be the processing itself, rather than what the processed meat is made from, said Marji McCullough, senior scientific director of epidemiology research at the American Cancer Society. The act of curing or preserving with nitrates and nitrites, which can create carcinogenic chemicals in food, might contribute to the cancer risk, Ms. McCullough said.

Another possible variable, she added, is that cooking meat at high temperatures can form additional carcinogens. This includes cooking meat in direct contact with a flame or hot surface, like when barbecuing, grilling or pan-frying.

Aside from cancer risks, all processed meats tend to be high in sodium, so that is “an important factor,” Dr. Hu said. Excess sodium intake can increase the risk of high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease.

Processed meats have also been linked with an increased risk of developing Type 2 diabetes and dementia. One large 2021 study performed in Britain, for instance, concluded that for every additional 25 grams (or about one ounce) of processed meat in a person’s daily diet, the risk of dementia increased by 44 percent, and that of Alzheimer’s disease increased by 52 percent.

Dr. Vijaya Surampudi, an assistant professor of medicine at the UCLA Center for Human Nutrition, said that the concern with processed meat is that it can increase inflammation in the body, in part by altering the microbiome of the gut. “The gut bacteria interact with our immune system and eventually lead to chronic inflammation,” she said, which can affect blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol, increasing the risk of chronic disease and even death.

“A plant-based diet will be much more preventive at reducing risk,” Dr. Surampudi said. “It doesn’t mean you have to go 100 percent vegan or vegetarian,” she said, just that the majority of your diet should come from plant-based sources.

This way of eating is also typically better for the environment.

So, does this mean it’s better to eat plant-based processed meat alternatives?

“Potentially, processed meat alternatives are better than processed meats, but not all processed meat alternatives are created equal,” Dr. Hu said. Ultimately, it depends on what the products are made of — whether they are fully plant-based analogues or products made from a blend of meat and vegetables. But, he added, “of course, a more optimal diet should be based on minimally processed plant-based foods.”

What about products labeled “no nitrates or nitrites added”? Nitrate-free meats may use ingredients like celery juice, a natural nitrate, but it’s unclear whether these are better for health than those made with synthetic nitrates or nitrites.

For products with labels like “organic,” “no antibiotics,” “fed a vegetarian diet” or “humanely raised,” Dr. Surampudi said: “I do think if people can choose lean cuts, organic and vegetarian feeds — if you’re able to afford it — that’s better, because whatever the animal you’re consuming ate, that gets concentrated in that animal’s body, and then we consume it.” This is an important factor to consider with all animal-based foods, processed or not.

In the end, the processed meats that are worst for you are the ones you might find yourself eating routinely, rather than those you eat as an occasional treat. Which means: Every now and then — at a baseball game or a family barbecue, for instance — go ahead and have a hot dog. Just don’t make it a regular habit.

Edited by lazarus
  • Thumbs Up 1

Went for a blood test(s) today.

Following the results will send to my doc that I have been seeing for years. He and I will then schedule a video call after he reviews the blood test results. I will also give him recent b.p. readings.

All of this will be filed with my insurance company - (preventative), and that will be it.

In July I will go for an eye exam and will then order new glasses on Zenni. Exam and glasses will be reimbursed through my insurance. I  can easily file the claim on-line.

Waiting on reimbursement for my most recent dental procedures. They are being cu*ts, but in the end I will get most of it back. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lazarus said:

No baloney... :default_es0cw::default_bbq:

. . .

Are Some Processed Meats Worse for You Than Others?
Here’s what the experts say.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/29/well/eat/processed-meats.html

Hot dogs and baseball games. Bacon and Sunday mornings. Bratwurst and barbecues. American culture is steeped in joyous occasions featuring processed meats, but when that indulgence extends beyond the occasional celebration, experts say that you should cut back.

“The evidence is quite convincing that regular consumption of processed meats is detrimental to health, including colorectal cancer, Type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease,” said Dr. Frank Hu, a professor of nutrition and epidemiology and chair of the department of nutrition at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. And, overall, he added, most health experts agree that “processed meats are more harmful than nonprocessed meats.”

Processed meats can include ham, sausage, bacon, deli meats (such as bologna, smoked turkey and salami), hot dogs, jerky, pepperoni and even sauces made with those products. When meat is processed, it is transformed through curing, fermenting, smoking or salting in order to boost flavor and shelf life.

In 2015, the World Health Organization announced that processed meat was “carcinogenic to humans,” citing “sufficient evidence” that it caused colorectal cancer. The World Cancer Research Fund International recommends eating little, if any, processed meat, and limiting red meat to about three portions (or about 12 to 18 ounces) per week. It’s important to limit intake of red meat — most commonly beef and pork in the United States — even when it’s not processed, because it’s tied to not only cancer, but also heart disease, stroke and an overall risk of death. (In its 2015 announcement about processed meats, the W.H.O. classified red meat as “probably carcinogenic.”)

Experts can’t definitively recommend one type of processed meat over another because of the way research is currently conducted. “Most studies focus on highly consumed processed meats — hot dogs, bacon, sausages,” Dr. Hu said. So, because all types of processed meats get lumped together in most studies, he added, “it’s difficult to make a conclusive statement regarding which processed meats are better or worse than others.” And, he noted, people who tend to eat one type of processed meat tend to eat others, so it’s challenging to tease out the effect of one over another.

“Theoretically, you can argue that processed poultry and fish are not as bad as processed red meat,” Dr. Hu said, citing the lower saturated fat content of poultry and fish and the abundance of omega-3 fatty acids in certain types of fish. “But we don’t have evidence to support this,” he said, so until more research is done, treat processed poultry and fish products with similar caution.

One reason for such advice is that the main issue seems to be the processing itself, rather than what the processed meat is made from, said Marji McCullough, senior scientific director of epidemiology research at the American Cancer Society. The act of curing or preserving with nitrates and nitrites, which can create carcinogenic chemicals in food, might contribute to the cancer risk, Ms. McCullough said.

Another possible variable, she added, is that cooking meat at high temperatures can form additional carcinogens. This includes cooking meat in direct contact with a flame or hot surface, like when barbecuing, grilling or pan-frying.

Aside from cancer risks, all processed meats tend to be high in sodium, so that is “an important factor,” Dr. Hu said. Excess sodium intake can increase the risk of high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease.

Processed meats have also been linked with an increased risk of developing Type 2 diabetes and dementia. One large 2021 study performed in Britain, for instance, concluded that for every additional 25 grams (or about one ounce) of processed meat in a person’s daily diet, the risk of dementia increased by 44 percent, and that of Alzheimer’s disease increased by 52 percent.

Dr. Vijaya Surampudi, an assistant professor of medicine at the UCLA Center for Human Nutrition, said that the concern with processed meat is that it can increase inflammation in the body, in part by altering the microbiome of the gut. “The gut bacteria interact with our immune system and eventually lead to chronic inflammation,” she said, which can affect blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol, increasing the risk of chronic disease and even death.

“A plant-based diet will be much more preventive at reducing risk,” Dr. Surampudi said. “It doesn’t mean you have to go 100 percent vegan or vegetarian,” she said, just that the majority of your diet should come from plant-based sources.

This way of eating is also typically better for the environment.

So, does this mean it’s better to eat plant-based processed meat alternatives?

“Potentially, processed meat alternatives are better than processed meats, but not all processed meat alternatives are created equal,” Dr. Hu said. Ultimately, it depends on what the products are made of — whether they are fully plant-based analogues or products made from a blend of meat and vegetables. But, he added, “of course, a more optimal diet should be based on minimally processed plant-based foods.”

What about products labeled “no nitrates or nitrites added”? Nitrate-free meats may use ingredients like celery juice, a natural nitrate, but it’s unclear whether these are better for health than those made with synthetic nitrates or nitrites.

For products with labels like “organic,” “no antibiotics,” “fed a vegetarian diet” or “humanely raised,” Dr. Surampudi said: “I do think if people can choose lean cuts, organic and vegetarian feeds — if you’re able to afford it — that’s better, because whatever the animal you’re consuming ate, that gets concentrated in that animal’s body, and then we consume it.” This is an important factor to consider with all animal-based foods, processed or not.

In the end, the processed meats that are worst for you are the ones you might find yourself eating routinely, rather than those you eat as an occasional treat. Which means: Every now and then — at a baseball game or a family barbecue, for instance — go ahead and have a hot dog. Just don’t make it a regular habit.

Good thing over here hot dogs are shit. Most processed meats are very expensive so it helps me cut down.

I miss a good chunk of salami though, big time.

Edited by Glasseye

‘Forget 10,000’: Surprising tips for anyone who counts their steps

If you’re struggling to reach 10,000 steps a day, here’s some good news: the
latest science suggests fewer daily steps may be the sweet spot for many of us,
depending on our age, fitness and health goals.

There is nothing magical or evidence-based about 10,000 steps a day. So feel
free to let go of that goal.

The notion to take 10,000 daily steps stems from a marketing ploy: as the 1964
Tokyo Summer Olympics approached, a Japanese researcher decided to nudge
his nation to be more active by offering pedometers with a name that loosely
translated as “10,000-step meter”. (The Japanese character for the number
10,000 looks a little like a person walking.)

More recently, scientists have come up with evidence-based recommendations
about step-count goals. I recently spoke with some of the world’s leading experts
on the science of step counting. Here’s their advice.

In the past few years, multiple large-scale studies have stepped up, looking closely
into how many steps we probably need for our health and longevity. In the largest,
published last year in the Lancet Public Health, dozens of global researchers pooled
data from 15 earlier step-count studies, some unpublished, covering 47,471 adults
of all ages, and compared their typical daily step counts to their longevity.

The sweet spot for step counts was not 10,000 or more. In general, the pooled data
showed that for men and women younger than age 60, the greatest relative reductions
in the risk of dying prematurely came with step counts of between about 8000 and
10,000 per day.

For people older than age 60, the threshold was a little lower. For them, the sweet
spot in terms of reduced mortality risk came at between 6,000 and 8,000 steps a day.

Walking more than 10,000 steps a day wasn’t bad for people – it didn’t increase the
risk of dying – but also didn’t add much, in terms of reducing mortality risks.

The benefits also weren’t confined to longevity. In other studies, step counts of at
least 8000 a day for adults substantially lowered risks for heart disease, type 2 diabetes,
dementia, depression, many types of cancer and even sleep apnoea, says Janet Fulton,
senior science adviser in the Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity and Obesity at the
Centres for Disease Control and Prevention.

https://www.watoday.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellness/forget-10-000-surprising-tips-for-anyone-who-counts-their-steps-20230613-p5dg5l.html

(The above link is behind a paywall. Use the java script toggle)

For Chrome - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/toggle-javascript/cidlcjdalomndpeagkjpnefhljffbnlo

• Great Info 5

16 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Good thing over here hot dogs are shit. Most processed meats are very expensive so it helps me cut down.

I miss a good chunk of salami though, big time.

Let’s open a dog shop……we’ll be millionaires in no time 😂

Is Amazing Sandwich still open up there? Back in 2009 they were awesome, had 2 locations, I remember building my own, massive hoagie was like 140B

RAW HONEY (The 5th Month's honey) น้ำผึ้งป่าเดือน 5 100% | Evergreen  Homemade น้ำผึ้งแท้ น้ำผึ้งธรรมชาติ | Lazada.co.th

RAW HONEY (The 5th Month's honey) น้ำผึ้งป่าเดือน 5 100% | Evergreen  Homemade น้ำผึ้งแท้ น้ำผึ้งธรรมชาติ | Lazada.co.th

Real wild honey has a lot of health benefits......The only problem it's VERY VERY hard to find.....

Any store-bought honey is crap in my opinion and I do mean all of it.....

Buying high-priced honey online does not guarantee good raw honey....Sure it can be better than crap store honey but that does not mean it's worth the price....

I thought I had a good Lazada seller last year but this year their honey sucks....

So I bought from 2 new online sellers but was not happy with the honey they sold me.

Then I tried this guy....

https://shopee.co.th/(ขายดี)น้ำผึ้งโพรงป่าเดือน5(1ขวด1000g.)เป็นผึ้งป่าตามธรรมชาติแท้100-หาเฉพาะช่วงหน้าแล้งมีนา-เมษา-i.364895216.11105780259

This honey kicks ass...... A+++  honey....Very wild and raw honey... and it's only 300 baht a bottle......

I bought 6 of them so I will not run out again for a loooong time....

So if you guys ever wanted to buy the real deal, wild honey....I highly recommend this guy...... He has 147 bottles and when it's gone it's gone......

With wild honey, I have learned the batch they are selling is what's important not so much the seller.....

Edited by fforest
  • Like 3
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My Fitbit Charge 5 watch stopped stone dead this morning- maybe God's way of telling me not to go for a run this morning😀

Thankfully a very short web chat with Fitbit support and they are dispatching a new one. Other option was 50% off another Fitbit model. Was delighted to be able to get a replacement as somehow have no receipt for the original!!

Retail cost of the watch was circa £100, so around $130.

Until I get a replacement am using my old Fitbit charge 4. Went for the upgrade as the charge 4 is very difficult to read in bright sunlight.

Anyone on here have any experience of the "cheaper" trackers like the Charge 5?

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/18/2023 at 12:22 AM, Glasseye said:

I need to get my act together soon. Drifted off course some and developed some complacnecy and laziness. I'm not getting any younger. Need to put my big boy pants on and quick sluffing. Don't want to get bit.

Join a gym.....best decision you will ever make....trust me. 

IMG_3008.JPG

IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_3747 (2).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 6/20/2023 at 7:49 AM, Yessongs said:

Join a gym.....best decision you will ever make....trust me. 

IMG_3008.JPG

IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_3747 (2).jpg

Yes indeed. A good gym is key. Done it many times.

You make a good point in mentioning it though. Doing that will be a big step in the positive direction. Certainly has made a big difference for me in the past. 

Conincidentally.... yesterday I passed a little strip mall (modern) on the bike route I take between home and my language school. It had a little gym that I intend to check out tomorrow. I had not seen this one on past google searches, and the location could work for me.

Sometimes all it takes is one or two small things to set things in motion. Getting started is usually the difficult part.

I think mentioning my rut in here was kind of the first step in the direction of getting things together. Joining a gym and easing into can be the next step to get rolling. Last time did this it lasted for years. There's no reason it won't again.

Thanks Mike. Your little nudge could end up being a difference maker.

BTW - I used to crank out those lat pull downs. Whole friggen rack like it was nothing. Not going to be happening like that anymore...lol. But those rope pull downs are great. I primarly need to get my shoulders and core back into shape. Nice and easy. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/13/2023 at 10:13 AM, Glasseye said:

Went for a blood test(s) today.

I had blood tests on Friday although I thought it was only one test to check my kidney function as my doctor wants me off taking diclofenac for my arthritic knee.

It wasn't until my daughter dragged me screaming into the Practice nurse's dungeon that I discovered they were testing me for everything.

I come from the stick your head in the sand school of medical practice. Had a shite weekend with every expectation of bad news to come.

Today I get a phone call from my GP. He wants me to phone the hospital and book myself in for follow up xrays on my hip and knee. That I take as very positive news as these are undoubtedly going to show how much worse I am since the previous xrays. Hopefully, that will move me up the waiting list.

I ask him about the results of my blood test.

Apparently all good except my sugar level is up higher than he would like. Another appointment with the Practice nurse to discuss this and change my diclofenac medication.

I tell my GP that I have been on a low to zero carb fasting diet (10am to 6pm for food) since the middle of April and have lost 11 kilos. I tell him I am going to stick with this diet for the next 3 months.  He sounds suitably impressed.

I wonder how bad my sugar levels would have been before I started the diet?

• Like 1