The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

5 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

@Jambo great outcome on the op. Glad it went well for you.

As for posts out order. I've noticed that on occassion. Think it's just a minor hiccup in the forum software, and as others have posted a page refresh will show the posts in the correct order.

The biggest problem I have had is getting all my meds sorted out.

First my 07:00 am meds

12:00 noon its second dose of co-codomol

Shit! forgot my laxative powder but dump completed anyway🤣

10:00pm its another type of laxative, more co-codomol and inject myself with blood thinners for the next 6 weeks.

This morning I start my sets of 7 exercises which I left alone yesterday because I was feeling on a downer which is no doubt simply a natural reaction to having quite major surgery. I feel great today and my daughter has just arrived and she can act as assistant Physio .  Came in bearing gifts from McDonalds which is not compatible with my carnivore diet.

To be continued.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

It is a beautiful day and I have not been in the Condo's garden since the end of June. I have to practice my walking so out of the front door, turn right and immediately up 5 steps.

Good leg up/bad leg down and no problem.

Long walk down the hallway to the lift. I have no pain whatsoever and ask my daughter to give a true assessment of how I am walking. She is adamant that it looks..........normal. Both legs are now the same length since the operation. Previously my bad leg was one inch shorter than the left.

Meet several tenants on route who seem amazed that I had the Op on Tuesday and here I am walking to the garden on Friday.

Nobody, but nobody, is more amazed than me.

postop2.jpg

My two sticks are lightly resting against the seat and my weight is equal on both feet.

For the first time I can see where the 3 1/2 stone I have lost on my diet  has gone.

Stayed for a while until I walked back and rested for an hour. At no time did I experience any pain other than a "2" from the wound area.

Really Amazing!

Without wishing to sound a wimp that surgeon has given me my life back.

That's amazing. 👏

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

Really Amazing!

Excellent!

My dear old dad had the same experience. His hip replacement gave him a 'new lease' on life and he enjoyed it until the end.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Jambo said:

It is a beautiful day and I have not been in the Condo's garden since the end of June. I have to practice my walking so out of the front door, turn right and immediately up 5 steps.

Long walk down the hallway to the lift. I have no pain whatsoever and ask my daughter to give a true assessment of how I am walking. She is adamant that it looks..........normal. Both legs are now the same length since the operation. Previously my bad leg was one inch shorter than the left.

Meet several tenants on route who seem amazed that I had the Op on Tuesday and here I am walking to the garden on Friday.

postop2.jpg

My two sticks are lightly resting against the seat and my weight is equal on both feet.

For the first time I can see where the 3 1/2 stone I have lost on my diet  has gone.

Stayed for a while until I walked back and rested for an hour. At no time did I experience any pain other than a "2" from the wound area.

Really Amazing!

You more than deserve a break with all the effort you've put in to the weight loss.

Met a chap in a pub in Bridlington of all places the other week who had a knee replacement. An echo of yourself,  in his 70s he was delighted and said it had given him a new lease of life!!

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Happy everything went well Dan. A lady who was, let’s say, not my favourite, Dad’s “wife” of 2 years  he left everything to, became very sedentary during her time in Montreal. He tried his best to help put her on a list, he knew which channels to go through, but COVID, his lung cancer, her not speaking a lick of French, and just the new paperwork coming from a different province……this all slowed down the hip replacement she badly needed

He passed March/21,my Mom who grew very close to her, did 100% of the work selling the condo that I financed way back in 2013, she’s all ready to fly back to Newfoundland with a fat payment…..a week before half-pissed on rhum she shatters her leg at 3 am. I helped her to the ambulance, 2 weeks in hospital then 3 more months in rehab and she’s finally home. No operation yet….

She finally had it I believe sometime in 2022, but the immobility and drink no doubt took their toll….She passed last December of multi-organ failure at 79, never got the opportunity to enjoy the new hip(s) and Dad’s (or my) 100 grand

So good on you for going through it sooner rather than later, wish you all the best….

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/8/2023 at 2:17 PM, Jambo said:

Brilliant Jambo, your health is the most important thing in anyone's life.

I'm delighted for you, though clearly no where nearly as delighted as you are in getting your life back.

My mum had the same, huge waiting list, had to use a commode and all sorts, as couldn't do stairs.

Had the Op a couple of years ago, completely new lease of life, she's in her mid 70's, always out and about now.

Enjoy, and can't wait on pics of the 50 kilos of chocolate delivery!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Saturday - Day 5 following my new hip.

Not allowed to get the dressing wet so sponge bath spraying water all over the bathroom.

For the first time for months I decided to leave the condo and visit the paper shop which is a 100mtrs or so down hill. I only used one stick just for balance but took it slow and easy. Hit the ATM in the shop and back to the usual football banter with Mo the owner. He had been wondering where I had been.

Back, up the hill this time, then work my way through the condo to the lift. A walk down another long hall and down 5 steps ( bad leg first) and into the flat. My hip was aching from the walk so I decided to take an hours rest before doing my mandatory exercises.

I have 7 mandatory exercises to do twice a day with a further three to add once I am comfortably completing the first seven. I could do them all but I reduced the repetitions on three of them. They emphasize building up slowly. It is a  balancing act between between doing too much and not enough. Both are as bad as one another.

Another rest and then lunch.

Another beautiful day and you have to make the most of these in Scotland. So off I go again walking down to the garden where I spent the next two hours out in the sunshine reading my kindle. Elevated my left leg using a neglected old chair.

Watching England playing footy now. How the f##k is Magire still in the side? I feel sorry for Saka because he is getting no service.

To be continued.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 9/8/2023 at 8:17 PM, Jambo said:

postop2.jpg

Really Amazing!

Dog damn that is good news.  

Have to admit, teared up on this one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2023 at 12:16 AM, Painter said:

Mum's had both hips replaced,  the first at 78, second at 83 and with heart failure. The second one she gave up the crutches around the house within 3 weeks, much to my brother's horror as she walked accross the kitchen to open the door for the cat. At 86 she can run rings round me!

Just don't get over confident and do too much. Question is, how much is too much? You'll only know when you've put yourself back a few weeks by doing too much....

Yes.... excellent advice.

Supporting muscle takes time. Go slowly. Following recommended therapy maybe have a protien shake or ensure. That will provide timely protien which will feed the muscle.

Basically as you develop muscle.... The excercise breaks down the muscle. Timely rest and timely protien following the breakdown (within an hour) the muscle then repairs itself (over time gets stronger). The protien input is very important. 

Keep it simple, keep it consistent, don't push too hard, be patient. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Yes.... excellent advice.

Supporting muscle takes time. Go slowly. Following recommended therapy maybe have a protien shake or ensure. That will provide timely protien which will feed the muscle.

Basically as you develop muscle.... The excercise breaks down the muscle. Timely rest and timely protien following the breakdown (within an hour) the muscle then repairs itself (over time gets stronger). The protien input is very important. 

Keep it simple, keep it consistent, don't push too hard, be patient. 

I am intending to return to my carnivore diet from Monday. I still have a target to achieve.

Basically that is all protein being meat and fish/seafood.  No processed food; no sugar; no carbs. Sounds unhealthy but if it was not for my hip I have never felt healthier and I have no cravings.

Do you still recommend adding in the protein shakes? The only additions I currently take is daily strawberry flavored electrolyte tablets. 

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

I am intending to return to my carnivore diet from Monday. I still have a target to achieve.

Basically that is all protein being meat and fish/seafood.  No processed food; no sugar; no carbs. Sounds unhealthy but if it was not for my hip I have never felt healthier and I have no cravings.

Do you still recommend adding in the protein shakes? The only additions I currently take is daily strawberry flavored electrolyte tablets. 

Protein shakes are good as meal replacements or at snack time.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sunday - Day 6 after my new Hip

Dear Diary

It has been a good day. 🤣

Completed my 7 set exercises in full with no subsequent pain other than a dull ache where the wound is healing. It is funny as I have been so used to my left leg not working, not bending, not weight supporting that I still wonder if it is going to work.

I am therefore quite surprised that I can lay on my back and slide my heal  towards my new hip or sit in a chair and straighten my leg all without any pain. May sound silly to say that but extreme pain has been my constant companion for so long.

Everyone is different and has there own experiences. I log into YouTube today and immediately there is a batch of new videos about hip replacements. One of the new ones was I am sure a doctor who had the same operation as me but a couple of days later than mine. He had three days of extreme pain after the operation and was still experiencing that pain as his wife drove him home from the hospital.

The guy in the next bed to me in hospital all but passed out from the pain he experienced from his first attempted walk.

I have been amazingly lucky.

In the 6 days since the operation the only pain I am experiencing is the good pain of a wound healing. I went for a walk today and I am using a stick in my right hand but.........just in case, not because I need it for balance. I went up and down the 5 steps adjacent to the entrance to my flat.

There is nothing special about me. I did read that the posterior version of a hip replacement makes minimal movement to the tendons etc around the hip so there is less to heal. I don't know whether that is true but I give all the credit the Mr W the Consultant who replaced my hip.

Sun is finally coming out today. I think I will head out to the garden with my kindle again. 😄

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Protein shakes are good as meal replacements or at snack time.

I have the Huel shakes, 40 grams of protein per serving and a ton of vitamins and minerals. Just under £2 per serving.

Plus it’s vegan.

Have it for breakfast.

Edited by galenkia
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, galenkia said:

I have the Huel shakes, 40 grams of protein per serving and a ton of vitamins and minerals. Just under £2 per serving.

Plus it’s vegan.

Have it for breakfast.

I was at Poundstretcher a while back and they were selling protein powder tins for about £0.50 each, they should have been £14.99. Reason being they were just coming out of date; as they were sealed tins I bought 2. Lasted me about 3 months with one drink everyday.

Lidl have started selling protein drinks for about 99p and they give about 22 grams of protein. 

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 2
  • Great Info 1

Monday - Day 7 after my new hip

Dear  Diary

The Good:

1. My total experience at the Royal Hospital in Edinburgh. A credit to the UK's National Health Service

2. Early telephone call this morning confirming the District Nurse will be with me before 1pm to clean and change my dressing.

3. Phone call from Blackburn Pharmacy confirming they will be delivering another batch of blood thinners later today.    ( I have to inject myself with these for the next 6 weeks.)

The Bad:

Telephoned Simpsons Medical Practice as I had not received confirmation that my GP  will see me on Friday to discuss my range of medications as set out in a two page letter issued to them by The Royal Hospital. I had been instructed by the Doctor at the hospital who gave me my initial supply of medications to insist that my GP discussed these with me this week. I sent an email to the Practice asking them to find me a slot this Friday when my Daughter can transport me by car.

No chance!

No appointment available and apparently my GP does not consider there is any urgent need for such a visit.

I should mention that the last occasion I telephoned the Practice for an appointment with my GP the earliest available was exactly 28 days from the date of my request.

The reason I wish to see my doctor is that the Hospital has put me back on Co-codomol which I do NOT wish to take 1 day longer than I absolutely necessary. 

What is the opposite of self-medicate?

From today I reduce my co-codomol intake by 50%. If there is no major increase in pain, and I don't believe there will be, I stop taking this opioid completely on Thursday.

Major Advantage:

No more constipation.

I can have a couple of pints when I take my family out to lunch on Saturday.

Edited by Jambo
  • Like 3

On 9/10/2023 at 2:52 PM, Jambo said:

Yes... or some kind of quickly absorbed protien source within an hour of your excercise. Even something simple as a glass of milk. It gets absorbed quikly into your system. The timeliness of the protien intake is very benefical for the muscle repair.

Your general diet (carnivore) is more about weight loss and carb avoidance which is good for losing weight. You don't have to change that. Just get some easlly digestable protien within that first hour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

Monday - Day 7 after my new hip

Dear  Diary

The Good:

1. My total experience at the Royal Hospital in Edinburgh. A credit to the UK's National Health Service

2. Early telephone call this morning confirming the District Nurse will be with me before 1pm to clean and change my dressing.

3. Phone call from Blackburn Pharmacy confirming they will be delivering another batch of blood thinners later today.    ( I have to inject myself with these for the next 6 weeks.)

The Bad:

Telephoned Simpsons Medical Practice as I had not received confirmation that my GP  will see me on Friday to discuss my range of medications as set out in a two page letter issued to them by The Royal Hospital. I had been instructed by the Doctor at the hospital who gave me my initial supply of medications to insist that my GP discussed these with me this week. I sent an email to the Practice asking them to find me a slot this Friday when my Daughter can transport me by car.

No chance!

No appointment available and apparently my GP does not consider there is any urgent need for such a visit.

I should mention that the last occasion I telephoned the Practice for an appointment with my GP the earliest available was exactly 28 days from the date of my request.

The reason I wish to see my doctor is that the Hospital has put me back on Co-codomol which I do NOT wish to take 1 day longer than I absolutely necessary. 

What is the opposite of self-medicate?

From today I reduce my co-codomol intake by 50%. If there is no major increase in pain, and I don't believe there will be, I stop taking this opioid completely on Thursday.

Major Advantage:

No more constipation.

I can have a couple of pints when I take my family out to lunch on Saturday.

I think anytime you can safely ween yourself off of meds your body will like it.

The less meds we take = the better our overall health.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Glasseye said:

I think anytime you can safely ween yourself off of meds your body will like it.

The less meds we take = the better our overall health.

I have been on co-codomol far too long. I am sure it has become less effective as my body has got used to it every day.

The Hospital wants me to take it 3 times a day but three weeks prior to my operation I decided to reduce my consumption to just two tablets twice a day. I definitely had withdrawal symptoms including a few days of "anxiety" feelings in the morning. That did not last long and I was soon back to normal. Unfortunately in those last few weeks "normal" was very severe pain in my hip but that was due to my hip getting to the point of collapse not the reduction in the medication.

I  decided to make one last attempt at requesting a phone call from my GP simply with the object for him to concur with my decision to get completely off the opioid med asap. Certainly by the end of this month.

The final insult was I tried to complete an online e-consult this morning making the request for my GP to phone me. It came up with a message:

"We are unable to assess your condition on line. Please close the e-consult and telephone your GP to request an urgent appointment."

More chance of winning the lottery.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Jambo said:

I have been on co-codomol far too long. I am sure it has become less effective as my body has got used to it every day.

The Hospital wants me to take it 3 times a day but three weeks prior to my operation I decided to reduce my consumption to just two tablets twice a day. I definitely had withdrawal symptoms including a few days of "anxiety" feelings in the morning. That did not last long and I was soon back to normal. Unfortunately in those last few weeks "normal" was very severe pain in my hip but that was due to my hip getting to the point of collapse not the reduction in the medication.

I  decided to make one last attempt at requesting a phone call from my GP simply with the object for him to concur with my decision to get completely off the opioid med asap. Certainly by the end of this month.

The final insult was I tried to complete an online e-consult this morning making the request for my GP to phone me. It came up with a message:

"We are unable to assess your condition on line. Please close the e-consult and telephone your GP to request an urgent appointment."

More chance of winning the lottery.

I don't see the need to talk to a doctor if the only thing is that you want to reduce or stop taking pain killers. The sooner you can get by without codeine the better methinks. Reducing the amount gradually is the way to go because if you experience pain, your body may react and get inflammation which will cause additional problems and subsequent pain in itself. 

The depression that can be experienced is also an issue,  but you have already managed through that.

Slowly but surely is the way to go.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1