What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

8 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

What do people do nowadays with the old oil? (You can whisper if you want, so nobody hears!)

Here it would go straight into whatever river/drain/sea that is nearest (I'm including ships!)

I can imagine that if you are nowhere near an official disposal unit it may cost more to DIY.

I have a 6 foot high wooden garden fence. I used to treat it with a mixture of creosote and used engine oil mixed 50/50. The posts failed after 40 years but the horizontal spars are still in great condition.

Edit: I've just been promoted to Rookie    :default_animier:

Edited by bob lt
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Just got my letter confirming my winter heating allowance of £200 will be in my bank soon.  Being 66 has some benefits, first time I have received this.

Isn't it great? I just turned 65 in January, and applied for and received $1460 CDN ( £868) in the form of a territorial senior utility grant and municipal utility rebate.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, bob lt said:

I have a 6 foot high wooden garden fence. I used to treat it with a mixture of creosote and used engine oil mixed 50/50. The posts failed after 40 years but the horizontal spars are still in great condition.

Edit: I've just been promoted to Rookie    :default_animier:

When I was a child in the '60s, they'd spread used motor oil on our unpaved downtown streets to keep the dust down during our then-hot summers and it worked quite well; nowadays I save my used motor oil in 5 gallon pails and then take it to a nearby industrial business where it is burned in their shop furnace which is designed for it. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, galenkia said:

I just pour it into a small hole in the back garden. 😉

I don't deep fry, but after cooking my steak and onions, I lay a couple of pieces of kitchen paper in the pan to absorb the oil. It then gets put into the general waste bin.

7 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I don't deep fry, but after cooking my steak and onions, I lay a couple of pieces of kitchen paper in the pan to absorb the oil. It then gets put into the general waste bin.

Three and a half litres of engine oil is a bit much for the bin.😀

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, galenkia said:

I just pour it into a small hole in the back garden. 😉

I know your not meant to, but it does come from the earth originally anyway. And it's only 3.5 litres, once or twice a year, not exactly a regular thing. I'd never pour it into the water system like you mentioned above. 

Don't want to sound too preachy, but that is bad way to dispose of used oil. There are a lot of toxins in used motor oil and when disposed in the ground rain will cause the toxins to leach out and contaminate the ground water.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, boydeste said:

But not with Motul 10-40 engine oil.   :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1
  • Surprised 1

9 hours ago, maipenrai said:

I save my used motor oil in 5 gallon pails and then take it to a nearby industrial business where it is burned in their shop furnace which is designed for it. 

I can take my used motor oil down to the local recycling facility, 20L max per drop off. The re-refiners come and collect it and refine it back into usable oil.

The recycling facility also collects used vegetable oils, dunno what they do with that.

11 hours ago, fygjam said:

I can take my used motor oil down to the local recycling facility, 20L max per drop off. The re-refiners come and collect it and refine it back into usable oil.

The recycling facility also collects used vegetable oils, dunno what they do with that.

Same here, local recycling has a large drum ,just pour in and put the can into the plastic bin.

28 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

In 1999 I went to Bombardier in Montreal for an aircraft type course....in January.

It got down to -30....never again!

Bloody hell! I expect you have to be super careful when touching metal and even handling some of the gear.

Edited by Butch

23 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Looking forward to the final of the snooker which has just started and then meeting up with a good mate for dinner down the pub. My reduced carb diet will be out of the window today.

Sunday is my relaxed diet day.Don't really worry about what I eat.Still eat the vegan diet but just add chocolate, crisps, cake etc or any treats I fancy.

Enjoy the day 🤠

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Butch said:

Bloody hell! I expect you have to be super careful when touching metal and even handling some of the gear.

Fortunately the course was all in a classroom apart from a few visits to a hangar.

One evening we walked a few hundred yards to a restaurant near the hotel & on the way back I decided I'd run.Not a good idea I had a bad cough for a few days afterwards.

Most of the city is underground so it's all geared up for the climate.

• Like 2