What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

38 minutes ago, Binlid said:

Dread to think how many sides of bacon I must have scoffed during my lifetime, I always used the buy the fattiest packs of back bacon.

Fucking bacon prices have gone through the roof over here, and this is pork country. I've been giving it a pass lately, but I still look at the prices every time I go into the store. Hard to walk past. I don't know how many times I've picked up a pack ready to put it in the cart and then toss back into the bin.

Just watching Jeremy Vine on Channel 5 and just before the break they posed a question asking which band played one of the loudest concerts ever at the Charlton Athletic football ground on 31 May 1976.

I knew the answer straight away because I was a 20 year old rocker enjoying the brilliant band, The Who.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Just watching Jeremy Vine on Channel 5 and just before the break they posed a question asking which band played one of the loudest concerts ever at the Charlton Athletic football ground on 31 May 1976.

I knew the answer straight away because I was a 20 year old rocker enjoying the brilliant band, The Who.  

I seen them 30 years later at the Motorpoint Arena here in Cardiff with Zak Starkey on drums, probably the loudest band I have ever heard, although the Foo fighters at The Millennium Stadium run them pretty close.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Binlid said:

I seen them 30 years later at the Motorpoint Arena here in Cardiff with Zak Starkey on drums, probably the loudest band I have ever heard, although the Foo fighters at The Millennium Stadium run them pretty close.

Yes they were loud, I think the Charlton concert made the Guinness Book Of records as the loudest concert for many years after.

Great band to watch, saw them also at the Cotton bowl, Dallas in 1982, really brilliant concert. I think at the time it was their farewell concert, think there were a few of those as the years went on.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Butch said:

Cracking job Gazza. Amazing what a bit of healthy eating can do, even without becoming a gym bunny. not sure I could manage without my Sunday morning Bacon & egg Sarnie though...no bacon, that's pretty tough.

12 hours ago, Binlid said:

Dread to think how many sides of bacon I must have scoffed during my lifetime, I always used the buy the fattiest packs of back bacon.

A few months ago I started buying bacon chops from Siamburis delivery. Exactly the same as back bacon but in a chop. After cooking, I run a knife along the edge to remove the fat and give it to the dogs. The fat I mean not the chop!

Because I give a few taps with a pestle and marinate for a few hours it cooks quite soft and has a taste similar to salmon!

Lush!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, boydeste said:

Had a bit of a lie in this morning.

House so far nice and warm.

Having a lazy morning, then going to move all of my stuff back into my bedroom and generally tidy up.

Managed to get my 2 big drawer units back in situ and my TV sorted. Decided to leave the rest intil tomorrow as my back is aching.

Sat having a cup of tea, then it will be walk time. Hope to do 3 miles before the lure of a nice pint of ale pulls me into the pub. It is the weekend after all. :default_fun:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Had my medical at work today. eyesight fine, hearing fine, weight much better than I expected, blood pressure through the roof.

My BP was 156/115 - enough to get me sent home and way over the threshold for my particular role. However no symptoms of hypertension (unless being an arsehole is one of them :)

60 minutes later...140 / 102 Not great but an improvement but bang on the threshold.

Odd because I ran 5km yesterday and had a sauna, but had a shit nights sleep last night. My normal BP is a very respectable 120 / 80 or 120 / 90, no idea why it has shot up in the last week or so, thus I'm sat here doing some research before I tell the Mrs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Been out for a 2 mile walk before the pubs calls got the better of me.

Only had a couple of pints, then returned home for my dinner and a night watching snooker with a nice bottle of red.

Sounds like it's going to be a noisy one with fireworks going off all over the place!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Whilst on the subject of food, have you seen the price of cooking oil??

I go through a bottle every couple of months so was shocked to see it over 50 baht compared to 37 Baht I remember paying last time!

Hope we don't head into another cooking oil shortage. Had to look it up to remind myself of the year. It was back in 2011 there was quite the shortage that was preceded by rising prices. Don't think it was ever proven, but strong speculation was the shortage was caused by refiners hoarding their output to drive up prices and profit.

Palm oil shortage

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Hope we don't head into another cooking oil shortage. Had to look it up to remind myself of the year. It was back in 2011 there was quite the shortage that was preceded by rising prices. Don't think it was ever proven, but strong speculation was the shortage was caused by refiners hoarding their output to drive up prices and profit.

Palm oil shortage

Yep.

I know there are financial or health benefit or environmental impact reasons why you should or should not choose Soya or palm or sunflower oils but I just buy the cheapest as I only use a drizzle and never fry.

Generally palm oil is the cheapest so that is what I have noticed.

12 hours ago, galenkia said:

Just been doing a oil change and filter on my bike.Gave it a clean as well.Glad I didn't leave it to later as it's getting bloody cold outside now.

IMG_20211105_122139.jpg

What do people do nowadays with the old oil? (You can whisper if you want, so nobody hears!)

Here it would go straight into whatever river/drain/sea that is nearest (I'm including ships!)

I can imagine that if you are nowhere near an official disposal unit it may cost more to DIY.

8 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Winter has arrived in my neck of the woods - it snowed a little last night and this stuff won't melt away; forecast to be -13C for Sunday night...

A few years ago I picked up a contract to work in Norway starting in January. I hadn't seen snow in decades!

I started to realise I was out of touch with things when the waitress on the flight asked if I wanted a drink, so of course I said a bottle of wine...and do you know what...the bitch asked me to PAY for it!!!

Anyways, as is normal for me, I flew in a few days early to scout the area out. The first full day I went for a walk to check out the office area. The display at the office said 10 deg which was strange because it felt alot colder than that until the truth dawned on me. I had also had a shave before venturing out and I started to feel that my cheeks were almost solid!

By f**k I soon got accustomed to the cold again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

What do people do nowadays with the old oil? (You can whisper if you want, so nobody hears!)

Here it would go straight into whatever river/drain/sea that is nearest (I'm including ships!)

I can imagine that if you are nowhere near an official disposal unit it may cost more to DIY.

I just pour it into a small hole in the back garden. 😉

I know your not meant to, but it does come from the earth originally anyway. And it's only 3.5 litres, once or twice a year, not exactly a regular thing. I'd never pour it into the water system like you mentioned above. 

• Thumbs Up 1