What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

When you go on holiday for a long time during winter , do you drain your system , keep you heating ticking over or just hope things will be okay ? 

I leave the heating on constant, but turn the thermostat down to 8 degrees. So if it's mild, then it never strikes up.

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

I can't believe they'd hide multiple junctions like this under normal flooring - you'd think they would have placed them in a spot where you could have access through a removable panel later. In the hot water systems I've seen in my country, the manifolds are always mounted near the boiler and everything is home runs from there. 

I've used a few like this, all have been installed under floors

image.png

UK homes can be quite compact and don't all have utility rooms. My boiler for CH and hot water is installed in a cupboard in the master bedroom, the limiting factor was the need to place it on an exterior wall.

Edited by bob lt
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

I can't believe they'd hide multiple junctions like this under normal flooring - you'd think they would have placed them in a spot where you could have access through a removable panel later. In the hot water systems I've seen in my country, the manifolds are always mounted near the boiler and everything is home runs from there. 

It's standard practice here, they do a first fix where the shell is built and all of the cables and pipes are fitted. Then they do a second fix where it is all encased and sealed up etc.

In normal circumstances you would never need access to the copper pipes, unless like me you manage to block them!

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, boydeste said:

It's standard practice here, they do a first fix where the shell is built and all of the cables and pipes are fitted. Then they do a second fix where it is all encased and sealed up etc.

In normal circumstances you would never need access to the copper pipes, unless like me you manage to block them!

I have great admiration for you doing that project Stew. I would not have a fraction of the patience it must take to do a job like that (not to mention the know how). Best of luck with what remains....

• Thanks 1

It's been a lovely morning here. I am stiff as a board as expected after yesterdays work.

Went out with a mate to walk his dog, hopefully to free up a bit.

Just had dinner and now planning how I am going to expose more pipework without removing my bed from the room, which would be a huge job.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, boydeste said:

It's been a lovely morning here. I am stiff as a board as expected after yesterdays work.

Went out with a mate to walk his dog, hopefully to free up a bit.

Just had dinner and now planning how I am going to expose more pipework without removing my bed from the room, which would be a huge job.

I'm almost 65.

Last year I tried grouting around my toilet floor tiles, just getting down onto my knees was painful so I basically laid down and dragged myself around the floor. I really struggled getting up from the prone position without  grabbing support.

I am determined to remain physically independent for as long as possible for normal living (including 2 hour walks every day), hopefully for another 20+ years but by f**k doing that DIY brought it home to me what is happening to my body!

Oh. Army on the beach. Are the French fishermen invading?

20211102_115320.jpg

20211102_120221.jpg

20211102_120541.jpg

20211102_120718.jpg

20211102_121154.jpg

20211102_121705.jpg

20211102_121713.jpg

20211102_121950.jpg

Apparently it's not a "don't  panic Mr Mainwairing" moment, but a load of new recruits having d-day explained in detail... the beaches here were used for training for Operation Overlord.

All that boat and equipment, and still the best depth sounder is a man and a stick!

20211102_120554.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Painter said:

Oh. Army on the beach. Are the French fishermen invading?

20211102_115320.jpg

20211102_120221.jpg

20211102_120541.jpg

20211102_120718.jpg

20211102_121154.jpg

20211102_121705.jpg

20211102_121713.jpg

20211102_121950.jpg

Apparently it's not a "don't  panic Mr Mainwairing" moment, but a load of new recruits having d-day explained in detail... the beaches here were used for training for Operation Overlord.

All that boat and equipment, and still the best depth sounder is a man and a stick!

20211102_120554.jpg

The Jersey Home Guard are mobilising as we speak.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I'm almost 65.

Last year I tried grouting around my toilet floor tiles, just getting down onto my knees was painful so I basically laid down and dragged myself around the floor. I really struggled getting up from the prone position without  grabbing support.

I am determined to remain physically independent for as long as possible for normal living (including 2 hour walks every day), hopefully for another 20+ years but by f**k doing that DIY brought it home to me what is happening to my body!

I am no spring chicken either, but do try to stay fit.

Having an engineering background, it is difficult for me to pay someone to do something that I can do myself. However, I did pay a local plumber to help me fit 5 new radiators last week, mainly to speed up the process. I have him coming back on Thursday to help fit 2 more new radiators while I hopefully cut out the manifolds to find the blockages.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I am no spring chicken either, but do try to stay fit.

Having an engineering background, it is difficult for me to pay someone to do something that I can do myself. However, I did pay a local plumber to help me fit 5 new radiators last week, mainly to speed up the process. I have him coming back on Thursday to help fit 2 more new radiators while I hopefully cut out the manifolds to find the blockages.

Well Done mate...Well done!

1 minute ago, boydeste said:

Well, lets see if I can get it sorted without flooding or burning my house down. LOL

Y'know mate, only a few days ago I was watching some kids (girls and boys) about 5 to 9 year old playing. They had set up an assault course consisting of concrete tables and seats, some old laundry frames and BBQ stuff to climb over and under and they were timing each other.

Just watching them reminded me of the RMC assault course on Woodbury Common in the early 70s that as a D&D in training were allowed to use. I have had a complete life of adventure, danger and travel so I have no regrets but by f**k I wish I could do it now!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Y'know mate, only a few days ago I was watching some kids (girls and boys) about 5 to 9 year old playing. They had set up an assault course consisting of concrete tables and seats, some old laundry frames and BBQ stuff to climb over and under and they were timing each other.

Just watching them reminded me of the RMC assault course on Woodbury Common in the early 70s that as a D&D in training were allowed to use. I have had a complete life of adventure, danger and travel so I have no regrets but by f**k I wish I could do it now!!

We only get one go at it, glad you have had an exciting and interesting life.

As we age, our health becomes our wealth, so it's important to learn how to adapt and enjoy a slower pace of life. It sounds like you have got that bit sorted too!

I love the fact that you make home brew, I used to do that as a teenager.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, boydeste said:

We only get one go at it, glad you have had an exciting and interesting life.

As we age, our health becomes our wealth, so it's important to learn how to adapt and enjoy a slower pace of life. It sounds like you have got that bit sorted too!

I love the fact that you make home brew, I used to do that as a teenager.

Thanks mate. My main target is to catch up with that damned tortoise on Soi Buakhao!

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, coxyhog said:

After 18 years of ownership I sold my # 1 wife today.

My # 1 wife is what the missus used to call my Harley.

I thought I'd sold it a couple of months ago,a guy came to see it,paid me a deposit but then had a family bereavement so pulled out(I refunded his deposit) of the deal.

Then last week I did a search on FB & lo & behold there was a group called Harley's for sale in the UK.

It went on there on Saturday & yesterday a guy in a van came for a looksee,we did a deal & he transferred the cash into my account & drove home with my bike.

Sad to see it go but I just was not using it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

17 hours ago, boydeste said:

Count yourself lucky mate.

I once owned a first floor apartment that had Microbore heating pipes that had been totally encased in the concrete floor when it was poured. Got a leak in one of the pipes, so the concrete floor had to come up to trace the leak.😡

What a fecking mess! luckily I also owned the 2 apartments below and they were empty, awaiting painting.

• Like 1

Been busy as f**k out on vaccine patrol. 

Anyone, anywhere, can't show a vaccine QR code on request gets harpooned straight away, no messing.

Plus will look good on my CV if I ever want a job in Australia, with some of their mental Covid measures 

Now, to plough through the 'Getting to Thailand' thread, see if it's worth booking a 'free change right up to gate closure' British Airways booking to Bangkok for Feb.

Turkey and our hotel was superb again 👌 

IMG-20211021-WA0015.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2