What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

3 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Was laughing yesterday at the quiz program, Tipping Point.

Ben asks the question 'which country is the sacred site of Mecca located'. The two girls competing for the final both answered incorrectly. One said Pakistan and the other said, Israel, wow. Ben looked a bit embarrassed. I just thought to myself, now there will be a fatwa sent out on the contestant. Of all the countries to offer up as an answer, I think Israel may not be a good one.

Reminds me of working in Brunei (a strict Islamic nation) and my boss (in Singapore) says this month the airline (BA), will be concentrating on pushing Israel as a destination. Of course I let him know that this is impossible to market, advertise in Brunei and told him to offer up another country to market. I was knocked back and told to do my best and the bunting, advertising boards etc., will be arriving. I again told him this is crazy, do not allow head office to send anything to me. He told me I had to abide by what I was tasked with.

A few days later I am hauled in the Ministry of Religious Affairs and threatened with arrest and expulsion from the country. BA had sent the advertising etc., via Singapore and was immediately held by customs and subsequently destroyed. It was very embarrassing for me as BA Manager and I had my house raided by the ministry on 2 occasions shortly after that. Luckily it was only a few months before my posting finished, the representation of BA in Brunei ended less than a year later.

Common sense left British Airways marketing many years ago and it hasn't got any better.

Suprised they didn't mention the Bingo halls ... 

this was a classic ...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

Just spotted in Market Village.

Always handy to have about, when 800Baht top of the range Nike Air Max from wee Somchai at the back of MBK fall apart after their second wearing, and you're stuck thinking the feet will be burnt clean off you on the way home.

Thank me later, lads 🫡

20240410_193457.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

Just spotted in Market Village.

Always handy to have about, when 800Baht top of the range Nike Air Max from wee Somchai at the back of MBK fall apart after their second wearing, and you're stuck thinking the feet will be burnt clean off you on the way home.

Thank me later, lads 🫡

20240410_193457.jpg

I have always bought 99 Baht Addas or the equivalent, normally from the stalls outside Big C..........They last 2 or 3 years of regular use and are perfect for flying in...

That was until I took M'Lady to the local market for Valentine's Day this year. I bought her a foot pump and she bought me a pair of 60 baht Addas which are really bloody comfy !!

Romantic Bastards!!

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

I didn’t know my flight ticket gave me lounge access. Sitting in the Coral lounge at Udon Thani airport having breakfast.

IMG_6280.jpeg

Expecting your pleased to get out of the 40+ degrees no doubt ?

• Thumbs Up 1

Friendship has a even better deal on wine now....

Red or White wine 5 liters...For 1090 baht..

Thats 218 baht a liter.....

This is rolling prices back 10 years...

20240411_114740.jpg

20240411_114729.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, fforest said:

Friendship has a even better deal on wine now....

Red or White wine 5 liters...For 1090 baht..

Thats 218 baht a liter.....

This is rolling prices back 10 years...

20240411_114740.jpg

20240411_114729.jpg

Ugh..10% and tastes like water...I even tried freeze distilling the stuff and it still had no taste..

3 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Ugh..10% and tastes like water...I even tried freeze distilling the stuff and it still had no taste..

Well I have no taste.....So I think its great...lol

I draw the line at paint thinner...But Pretty much all other fruity wine mixes are OK by me....

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, fforest said:

Well I have no taste.....So I think its great...lol

I draw the line at paint thinner...But Pretty much all other fruity wine mixes are OK by me....

If you get around by motorbike head down Pattaya Tai, cross 3rd road then when you have passed Pattaya City Resort, but before Soi Khopai/Soi 16, there is an offie on the left. That is where I used to buy my "box wine"..... Mont Clair was 920 baht whilst everywhere else was 993. Not a big saving unless you drink a box every 2 days ..... And they sell La Vida ..

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just finished reading about how hot it is here.

Searing heat is back across Southeast Asia and it’s not going away anytime soon

Thailand has been worst hit, Herrera said, adding that heat forecasts there have been especially dire. Temperatures across the country had been “breaking non-stop records” for 13 months – and heat and humidity levels were relentless, he said.

“We thought temperatures last year were unbearable but (what we are seeing) this year has beaten that – temperatures in Bangkok won’t drop below 30 degrees Celsius, even at night for the rest of April,” Herrera told CNN.

“The trend is inescapable. The region has to prepare for terrible heat for the rest of April and most of May.”

On April 3, as Thailand entered its annual dry season, the capital Bangkok clocked temperatures of around 109 degrees Fahrenheit – prompting many to stay indoors in air-conditioned comfort.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Thailand has been worst hit, Herrera said, adding that heat forecasts there have been especially dire. Temperatures across the country had been “breaking non-stop records” for 13 months – and heat and humidity levels were relentless, he said.

“We thought temperatures last year were unbearable but (what we are seeing) this year has beaten that – temperatures in Bangkok won’t drop below 30 degrees Celsius, even at night for the rest of April,” Herrera told CNN.

“The trend is inescapable. The region has to prepare for terrible heat for the rest of April and most of May.”

On April 3, as Thailand entered its annual dry season, the capital Bangkok clocked temperatures of around 109 degrees Fahrenheit – prompting many to stay indoors in air-conditioned comfort.

Thanks mate!

We were about to go out in Parkas, gloves and woolie hats until I read that !!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

I just walked by our condo pool.....Not a single person swimming or at the pool...

Too hot to swim...

Most days I see many old geezers hanging around the pool...

On 4/10/2024 at 11:06 AM, Horizondave said:

Just heard a Eurofighter Typhoon go over the house at 9000'. Unfortunately, due the appalling weather I couldn't see it, but I knew from the noise, it was a fighter jet.

It has come from RAF Coningsby and no doubt will head back there. Up at 19000' now.

Screenshot_2024-04-10-11-05-28-94_8a6ce7ef6b1c5341b022b20d7fbb4b6e.jpg

I put the wife and her Thai family on a trip up the lakes on a boat. I watched from the jetty as they sat down on deck seats, just at that moment 2 of those RAF jets flew overhead at a very low height right above them and frightened the F**k out of all of them and me standing on the quayside as I was waving them off. 

IMG_1965.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Surprised 1

1 hour ago, KhunDon said:

I put the wife and her Thai family on a trip up the lakes on a boat. I watched from the jetty as they sat down on deck seats, just at that moment 2 of those RAF jets flew overhead at a very low height right above them and frightened the F**k out of all of them and me standing on the quayside as I was waving them off. 

You having a few Internet problems?

🤣

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, KhunDon said:

IMG_1965.jpeg

IMG_1965.jpeg

The trip was so good they went several times!!  😀

• Haha 1

Sat in the village trying to tune in to the lingo. Usually takes a week or so although I am surprised how much I am getting. Almost 2 boxes of Chang deep it’s a good bit of training for the Songkran party fest.

For the last 2 months I have been subject to D&A testing at work, so I am due a messy few days 🥳

Edit: They had hailstones in a storm here yesterday, young Smiler had never seen before. Which makes it first time for at least 13 or so years. Anyway it’s kin hot but not uncomfortable.

Edited by Smiler
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4