Hotels with Pools - How important are they to you?.

Butch

A double pronged question in this topic.

First, how important is / was a Pool as part of the facilities of a Hotel to you when you book or used to book for a Solo trip to Pattaya?.

(Reason I say solo is that some of us have kids who will stay in the pool all day if we let them).

Secondly, I know zero about Swimming pools or how they work, so are they relatively Hygienic?.

(given that a lot of people won't get out for a piss).

For me, a pool is essential and I won't book without one. A big part of my holiday is sitting poolside reading a book or listening to music while getting a bit of sun, or even sitting in the shade with a beer or cup of tea. As for swimming, I use it as a means to cool off rather than for swimming, or maybe just resting on the side in the water and using the time for clearing my head.

• Thumbs Up 2

Always need a pool if I'm on holiday there I have rented houses without and even rooms without in the old days whilst living there and it drives me mad without. 

Same as for me it's for cooling down its rare I lay in the sun though.

• Like 1

Whenever I have stayed in a hotel solo it has always been for a reason (mainly work, dentists, doctors, visas, passports, shopping for relevant clothing ..) so a swimming pool was bottom of the priority list behind location, price and room facilities. Any hotel that included a swimming pool is purely coincidence..! 

As for hygiene, may I refer you to recent comments in the annoyed thread. Any swimming pool that Chinese have access to I would immediately term unhygienic .. Pissing in the pool means pissing in the pool i.e. standing on the side and pissing in the pool..

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Haha 5

If by myself i do prefer one. I like having a swim. Though i'm certainly not one for going on holiday and sitting round the pool much, i get bored, and like to be doing stuff, trying new things. So wouldn't bother me that way, but i like to cool down and exercise a bit in the pool.

With my daughter, it's essential. She loves swimming, and is good at it. We do swimming lessons at our local leisure centre, and she's stage 3, nearly stage 4, where most of the children are older. Can't wait till she's old enough to try kid's scuba, neither can she!

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1

If with family, a pool is a must, even if by the sea, as my daughter will walk the beach but doesn't like to swim in it. She is in the pool everyday on holidays.

If alone, I really don't care as it is unlikely I will use it. I have often thought I would use the pool if there is one, but my history of experience has shown me that I rarely use a pool.

I did stay at the Mercure Soi 15 Pattaya once, and I hated the fact it had a pool. I checked in to the hotel early afternoon after arriving from UK and wanted to sleep. There was a conference of workers from India who decided to play water polo in the pool, the noise was worse than a school full of kids. I was on the 13th floor but the noise was terrible, luckily reception moved me.

Not on my top list but, if there is one, I always ask to be housed on the opposite side of the hotel to the pool.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

If with family, a pool is a must, even if by the sea, as my daughter will walk the beach but doesn't like to swim in it. She is in the pool everyday on holidays.

If alone, I really don't care as it is unlikely I will use it. I have often thought I would use the pool if there is one, but my history of experience has shown me that I rarely use a pool.

I did stay at the Mercure Soi 15 Pattaya once, and I hated the fact it had a pool. I checked in to the hotel early afternoon after arriving from UK and wanted to sleep. There was a conference of workers from India who decided to play water polo in the pool, the noise was worse than a school full of kids. I was on the 13th floor but the noise was terrible, luckily reception moved me.

Not on my top list but, if there is one, I always ask to be housed on the opposite side of the hotel to the pool.

Lol ! ,when i lived with my ex gf in pattaya she worked at the reception there,she would come home telling me tales from the cleaning ladies about how much of a mess the indians and chinese would leave their rooms,as both of these groups liked to cook their own food in the rooms.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

Lol ! ,when i lived with my ex gf in pattaya she worked at the reception there,she would come home telling me tales from the cleaning ladies about how much of a mess the indians and chinese would leave their rooms,as both of these groups liked to cook their own food in the rooms.

My best drinking mate back in the slums worked various hotel jobs and he had an insane hatred of Indian food purely for the smell they left in the rooms !!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

In most places I have to have a good pool ( reasonable size , that gets the sun most of the day ) , I like to chill out , listen to my music , swim some lengths, then float for a bit ... and generally recharge the batteries

the only place I'm not too concerned about it is in Bangkok as I am usually doing something during the day time , walking or doing some sightseeing ...

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

In most places I have to have a good pool ( reasonable size , that gets the sun most of the day ) , I like to chill out , listen to my music , swim some lengths, then float for a bit ... and generally recharge the batteries

the only place I'm not too concerned about it is in Bangkok as I am usually doing something during the day time , walking or doing some sightseeing ...

Enough to do in and around Pattaya as well.

• Haha 2

Couldnt edit my post above..in saying that about bkk and pattaya,ruemchitt hotel on suk has a good rooftop pool and i used it everyday while staying there a couple of times during covid pandemic,but there were no bars and very little restaraunts open thats why😁

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't bother with pools - I never developed a liking for water considering the natural water in my part of the world is not much above freezing even in mid-summer; and my parents never enrolled me in swimming lessons when I was a child so I still can't swim a stroke. I was never one for lazing around on beaches either, I'd rather be walking.

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

Zilch importance.

In Thailand they are potential electrified death pits.

How you do go on sometimes.....lol....more chance of getting shocked in your Thai home shower, methinks....

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 2

My missus likes a pool,my priority is a gym.

I didn't learn to swim until I went to Saudi aged 27 and all I can do is the breaststroke & tread water.Also I've had a few ear infections from pools so I give them a wide berth.When I was younger I liked going in the sea but my poor old pink skin has seen far too much sun so that is a nono.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, maipenrai said:

I don't bother with pools - I never developed a liking for water considering the natural water in my part of the world is not much above freezing even in mid-summer; and my parents never enrolled me in swimming lessons when I was a child so I still can't swim a stroke. I was never one for lazing around on beaches either, I'd rather be walking.

How you do go on sometimes.....lol....more chance of getting shocked in your Thai home shower, methinks....

lol.... I could go on...

Having to look at Euro whales in speedos.

Baking in a hot sun.

Kids screaming their lungs out.

I was a fish to water when I was a kid. Had a Aqua center less than a half mile from the home I grew up in.

Visits to my Uncles lake house every year. Fishing and swimming in lakes and ponds of all sorts. Loved it.

Here... I don't need it. Grew out of it I suppose.

and... over the years I have read a least a dozen reports of people being killied in electritied pools over here.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stillearly said:

It's good in Bangkok if you get a roof pool always good as the sun's going down at night and you have the insanity of the night in front of you .

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1