Another Excellent Day Out "Up Country"

Jambo

Great report Danny. I've been to that river but not where you were. Looks great time. Fascinating that border with Burma.

Hop your day is ruined tomorrow at around 5pm UK time ..... we are playing you at the Library known as the Emirates. :default_cheers:

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Cool pics....good decision on not entering that cave. 

Is the humidity deathly up there? 

I am not sure I could have got through the first bit and I was certainly not going to try! 😀

The climate is different up here in the north west of Thailand. We had about a month or more when it got COLD at night but still around 30c during the day. That has changed and it is uncomfortably warm at night and up to 35c or so in the day time. Very lttle humidity, thank goodness, because there has not been a drop of rain for about 3 months.

The rainy season starts and ends earlier up here but when it starts it rains virtually every day but rarely all day long. It is likely to start before Songkran, maybe towards the end of this month. Until it breaks it is likely to get very hot.

This is a main agricultural area but they clear the land before replanting by burning the old crop. There is often a haze which takes the heat out of direct sunshine but has given me a periods of having a cough. That is now largely over for another year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Great report Danny. I've been to that river but not where you were. Looks great time. Fascinating that border with Burma.

Hop your day is ruined tomorrow at around 5pm UK time ..... we are playing you at the Library known as the Emirates. :default_cheers:

In your dreams! 🤣

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

wow.. whats the location 

A very good question but difficult for me to answer.

Mae Sot is a border town to Burma. The border itself is the Moei river and the offficial crossing is "The Friendship Bridge". The unofficial crossings appear to be if not numerous certainly available for Thai's to visit specific "attractions" on the Burma side of the river.

We left Mae Sot travelling north east for about an hour then turned left at a check point which appeared to be an Army one. We then joined this "road" which soon became a dirt "track" and drove for about 45 minutes through the jungle. What I didn't mention in the Report was that after about 30 minutes we suddenly came to a Town of hundreds of old teak houses. The only modern building was a School. I say a "Town" because of the number of houses that we could see stretching downhill from the "track" we were on. This was housing for a very very specific community right in the middle of the jungle and we made no attempt to intrude. It just so happened that the school had been built right next to the track which for that small stretch became a real single lane road then immediately back to the jungle and dirt surface.

Without Sai to point out the place to leave the main road I doubt if I could find this location again on my own. It has to be 20 miles or so upstream from Mae Sot on the Moei river.

5 minutes ago, grayray said:

Jambo, how was the drive back the hill?loved the pics,the bush is a place I loved all my life. regards

grayray

I do so wish I had taken a photo but I genuinely have never driven up such a steep hill in my life and this was dirt not tarmac. I don't think I could have kept the camera still.

Sai's sister Joy was driving and she is young enough just to play the adrenaline junkie whilst I went very quiet waitng for the crash. All credit to the Asuzu wagon which is a monster which got itself and its 7 passengers to the top 6 of which were taking the piss out of me! 😀