COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

36 minutes ago, boydeste said:

The reality is that Currently there has been no over reaction by the Government,  only the press doing their usual propaganda.

Non there hasn't been, at least in England, i'm glad to see the push back especially against the 'modelling' that previously had been the catalyst for lockdowns.  I mean, it's been so far out it's ludicrous, then again, those that do the modelling have admitted they only do the worst case scenarios to order.  Which is a wake up call to start with!

Media start the hysteria, those lefty politically motivated 'experts' or those who are genuine by only see it from a health perspective not the overall picture, then get themselves on the MSM to continue the hysteria and push for more restrictions. Public see this, buy into the hysteria and panic, polls come out from the media who started the hysteria showing public want more restrictions, pressure put on Government especially Boris who has form for reacting to the public mood, nevermind if it's the right thing to do or not.

It's exactly what happened this time last year, same players, same pressure. 

I'm all for caution, it would be negligent for the Government not to be, but at 95% of the UK adult population having antibodies to Covid, and the damage done by more stringent restrictions in all sorts of ways, there always going to be variants, and the duplicity and wildly inaccurate modelling used, i'm against any more restrictions at this time. 

As said, i'm very happy to see the push back and stuff getting challenged this time around.  If it true, then it would stand up to the scrutiny. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Over 100 of his party voted against him last week , he is a dead man walking ..

The vast majority of those 100 rebels plus all the other Conservative MP’s will knuckle down and tow the party line until it gets closer to the next election. 
Who amongst them would really want to take on the leadership in this shitstorm? Maybe a stalking horse, but no serious candidate is stupid enough to try for the top job during serious Covid problems.
Any future candidate is more likely to bide their time and let BoJo take the flack, then a year from Election Day, they’ll do what conservatives do best and bring out the knives and shove it up the ass of their leader. 

Could be worse and Corbyn could be PM. 😉

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

The reality is that Currently there has been no over reaction by the Government,  only the press doing their usual propaganda.

That goes for my side of the pond as well, mate. Breathless reports by media creatures on tv and radio. And so-called healthcare experts, who have their own agenda, drunk with their new found celebrity status and making sure their numbers are on speed dial with the various news producers for future on air contributions.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, galenkia said:

And there lies the crux of it.

All this panicking about new variants, insane modelling and ludicrous predictions from 'experts' ,yet it seems that nobody is getting very sick like in the pre vaccination days.

Will probably have yet another damaging lockdown,declare it safe again,and then rinse and repeat when the next variants come along.

No need for modeling or ludicrous predictions, we have the hard data available now showing the effect of the Omicron variant. Yes, there's been a huge spike in no. of infections, but the UK is not seeing a follow on increase in no. of deaths. Suspect the reason is a combination of a less lethal variant and better treatment protocols than what was available earlier in the year.
image.png

image.png

source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Also telling, and further proof this variant doesn't warrant the sky is falling headlines are the hospitalization numbers are not rising either. It's now gotten to the point when I read a headline with the word "pandemic" in it, I substitute "panic" which describes the current situation.
image.png

source: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

• Great Info 3

4 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

No need for modeling or ludicrous predictions, we have the hard data available now showing the effect of the Omicron variant. Yes, there's been a huge spike in no. of infections, but the UK is not seeing a follow on increase in no. of deaths. Suspect the reason is a combination of a less lethal variant and better treatment protocols than what was available earlier in the year.
image.png

image.png

source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Also telling, and further proof this variant doesn't warrant the sky is falling headlines are the hospitalization numbers are not rising either. It's now gotten to the point when I read a headline with the word "pandemic" in it, I substitute "panic" which describes the current situation.
image.png

source: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

Think it's to do with the level of immunity in the UK, 90% of the adult population have been vaccinated, and the virus has been allowed to 'run hot' at about 40,000 daily infections since June, so lots of natural immunity from people getting infected as well. 

There is a lag of about 2 to 3 weeks from infection to hospitalisation TBF, and i do know they are rising in London which is the current hot spot, but it's not all people taken to hospital due to Covid. Plenty are being taken to hospital for other reasons but then testing positive for Covid as it's now so prevalent. But there's also an acknowledgement of that by the health powers that be, which is obviously positive and not a continuation of the 'fear' by false data.  

The main issue at the moment is not enough staff to run critical services like the fire brigade, NHS etc due to sickness and self isolation, and i can see the 10 days isolation being dropped to 7 to help combat this. 

I think there will be some more new restrictions brought in after Xmas, to just take the pressure of the critical services, but as it currently stands, i still can't see a full national lockdown the like of which we've seen before, as there is currently no justification for it, and a push back against the 'lockdown zealots' and the 'dodgy data' used. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Kind of surprising a vaccine may provide better protection than the body's own natural defense system. Looking forward to more studies why this may be the case. 

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Kind of surprising a vaccine may provide better protection than the body's own natural defense system. Looking forward to more studies why this may be the case. 

I read a long time ago that the vaccine can assist by boosting the existing immune system capability many times. Not sure if the vaccine works alone but it does provide further protection against serious illness.

Of course I haven't dug deep but I believe the vaccine is a bonus that the immune system benefits from.

In the UK the vast majority of hospitalised Covid patients are unvaccinated. 

It's funny how they complain about not being allowed into restaurants, nightclubs, and airports etc, but are quite happy to be allowed into busy ICUs and clog up the health system. There is entitlement for you. 

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

In the UK the vast majority of hospitalised Covid patients are unvaccinated. 

It's funny how they complain about not being allowed into restaurants, nightclubs, and airports etc, but are quite happy to be allowed into busy ICUs and clog up the health system. There is entitlement for you. 

Hypocrites of the first order

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fforest said:

Fourth Vaccine Shot Approved for Elderly and Medical WorkersI don't know if I feel SAFE, posting on a forum with a bunch of triple vaxers..............Who will soon be considered unvaxed...

4849aaa41778dafd755c874313da76c1.jpg

Edited by Kathmandu

4 hours ago, Painter said:

I don't know about the reliability of the source either, but the following quote at the top of the article gives me pause. Don't know how they can state unequivocally a vaccine can protect against future strains.

"Within weeks, Walter Reed researchers expect to announce that human trials show success against Omicron—and even future strains."

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I don't know about the reliability of the source either, but the following quote at the top of the article gives me pause. Don't know how they can state unequivocally a vaccine can protect against future strains.

"Within weeks, Walter Reed researchers expect to announce that human trials show success against Omicron—and even future strains."

Unlike existing vaccines, Walter Reed’s SpFN uses a soccer ball-shaped protein with 24 faces for its vaccine, which allows scientists to attach the spikes of multiple coronavirus strains on different faces of the protein.

I think they are saying that it's easily modifiable by adding the spike protein from new variants as they arise.

10 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Unlike existing vaccines, Walter Reed’s SpFN uses a soccer ball-shaped protein with 24 faces for its vaccine, which allows scientists to attach the spikes of multiple coronavirus strains on different faces of the protein.

I think they are saying that it's easily modifiable by adding the spike protein from new variants as they arise.

Sounds like what the mRNA vaccine is capable of. Wonder how Walter Reed's Spike Ferritin Nanoparticle vaccine is different from mRNA.

Early studies suggest a reduced risk of Covid-19 hospitalization when infected with Omicron compared to Delta

Two new preprint papers add to the growing evidence that the Omicron coronavirus variant may be less likely to cause severe disease and hospitalization compared to the Delta variant.

Omicron is associated with a two-thirds reduction in the risk of Covid-19 hospitalization compared with Delta, suggests one study, released online Wednesday as a working paper by researchers at the University of Edinburgh in the United Kingdom. That research was based out of Scotland.

The other paper, posted Tuesday to the online server medrxiv.org, suggests that people with Omicron infections have had 80% lower odds of being admitted to the hospital compared with Delta infections. But once a patient was hospitalized, there was no difference in the risk of severe disease, according to that research, based out of South Africa.

9 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Sounds like what the mRNA vaccine is capable of. Wonder how Walter Reed's Spike Ferritin Nanoparticle vaccine is different from mRNA.

Sounds more like Novavax where the spike protein is produced outside of the body and then hooked onto the "soccer ball".

Link to a bit more of an in-depth description.

https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/fulltext/S2211-1247(21)01639-9

Edited by fygjam