COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

For the science minded (anti-vaxx'ers should skip it to avoid a headache):

Rogue Antibodies Involved In Nearly One-fifth Of COVID Deaths
Self-targeting antibodies attack part of the immune system that plays a key role in fighting infection

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/rogue-antibodies-involved-in-nearly-one-fifth-of-covid-deaths1/

Antibodies that turn against elements of our own immune defences are a key driver of severe illness and death following SARS-CoV-2 infection in some people, according to a large international study. These rogue antibodies, known as autoantibodies, are also present in a small proportion of healthy, uninfected individuals—and their prevalence increases with age, which may help to explain why elderly people are at higher risk of severe COVID-19...

...A sample of more than 30,000 people is “too big to ignore”, according to Ring. “It just shows that this is something that we need to think about.” He adds that researchers should now consider whether autoantibodies play a part in driving other infectious diseases. Ring’s team has already found evidence of autoantibodies against various immune-system components in people with COVID-19, and he and his colleagues are now investigating further. “I suspect that we’ve just started scratching the surface,” Ring says.

3 hours ago, Butch said:

The "whiterose" link yesterday I initially thought the website and organisation were a satirical and humorous poke at the whole AV idea, then after reading it I realised that they were actually serious and I was surprised that a: People would publish such ill researched, made up and potentially dangerous information and b; some people are actually stupid enough to believe it.

Are you new here?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

A simple tooth ache can be agonising. Without penicillin and antibiotics, many suffered slow painful deaths due to infections. In Victorian times, only the more wealthy could afford Laudanum and other opiates to relieve pain and often became addicted because there was no real cure for their ailments at the time. 

We have never been so lucky. 

Thank God for Anusol 😁😁😁😁😁

Never knew it was good to combat toothache.     :default_biggrin:

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, fforest said:

Krispy Kreme doughnuts for adults and comic books for kids for the vax,,

I do worry about kids 12 and under as they all go back to school. It may be a massacre with the non everything crowd lurking about. I don't care about myself (double vax and a breakthrough case, which I guess gives me herculean powers according to rooboob and fffffforest. lol)...But the kids..it ain't cool to put them at risk.

32 minutes ago, Kathmandu said:

I do worry about kids 12 and under as they all go back to school. It may be a massacre with the non everything crowd lurking about. I don't care about myself (double vax and a breakthrough case, which I guess gives me herculean powers according to rooboob and fffffforest. lol)...But the kids..it ain't cool to put them at risk.

As a parent to a kid <12yo in the US there is definitely a bit of worry sending her to school each day. Fortunately, people are conscientious here in SF and most teachers are vaxx'ed.

Regarding the undereducated & unvaxx'ed -- may a big bird of unhappiness lay ripe turds on their graves.

. . .

When Vaccines Aren’t an Option: Life for Families With Children Under 12
About 48 million American children are not eligible for a coronavirus shot. Their parents face difficult choices as school starts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/02/us/parents-kids-vaccine.html

Nearly all S.F. Unified teachers, staff fully vaccinated for COVID, district says

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/article/Nearly-all-S-F-Unified-teachers-staff-fully-16431979.php

5 hours ago, Kathmandu said:

Can't understand your worries at all..

What are the actual figures of kids dying?? 

I've got a son age 10 and one coming up 14 both back at school I won't give permission for my son at 14 to have the vax either (iv had both) until I know it's 100% safe with a few years behind it.

Imagine something going wrong in a couple of years and I signed off on permission for it.

Just madness at a young age .

Edit:

Just found it on a Google search 25 kids died under 16 ,19 of them with underlying health conditions.

Edited by roomark
  • Like 2

UK helping out Australia yet again!

I hope our Australian Board members will be grateful and show us Brits some humility :default_detective: :default_biggrin:

1. The UK and Australia have struck a deal over Covid vaccines, with the UK to supply four million Pfizer jabs to Australia.

Australia's Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced the deal during a press conference from the country's capital Canberra.

It follows another vaccine swap deal a few days ago, when Singapore agreed to send 500,000 vaccines that were about to expire to Australia. The agreement will see Australia return the same amount of Pfizer vaccine doses to Singapore in December.

Announcing the deal with the UK, Morrison says: "The plane is on the tarmac now. It will be leaving tomorrow.

"Those doses will be coming over the course of the next few weeks, which will see us double the Pfizer doses that we have during September.

"This means from Downing Street to Down Under, we are doubling down on what the Pfizer doses are here in Australia this month."

Australia has one of the slowest vaccine rollouts among wealthy countries, with just 36.4% of people over the age of 16 fully vaccinated. Millions of people are living in lockdown, amid an outbreak of the Delta variant which began in June.

The country recorded its 1,000th death from the pandemic at the end of August.

Article share tools
Edited by Krapow
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, roomark said:

Can't understand your worries at all..

What are the actual figures of kids dying?? 

I've got a son age 10 and one coming up 14 both back at school I won't give permission for my son at 14 to have the vax either (iv had both) until I know it's 100% safe with a few years behind it.

Imagine something going wrong in a couple of years and I signed off on permission for it.

Just madness at a young age .

Edit:

Just found it on a Google search 25 kids died under 16 ,19 of them with underlying health conditions.

Absolutely your decision as a parent.

I always like to have a listen to the ZOE study guy Tim Spector on COVID, always gives an intelligent balanced opinion, with no politics. If you you've got 10 minutes to spare his panel discuss from a UK perspective the vexed question of vaccinating schoolkid (you need to start at minute 30).

The chap with the glasses is the one to to listen to, he's a consultant peadiatrician. The conversation takes a while to get flowing- if you don't have 10 minutes to spare, their consensus view if there isn't sufficient evidence at present from a UK perspective  to support vaccination where the child has no underlying health issues.

Also perhaps even more pertinent that you, incidence of side effects for the Pfiizer jab that might be used in the UK are higher in boys and the incidence of those side effects increases as you go down the age range.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Krapow said:

I hope our Australian Board members will be grateful and show us Brits some humility :default_detective: :default_biggrin:

1. The UK and Australia have struck a deal over Covid vaccines, with the UK to supply four million Pfizer jabs to Australia.

Australia's Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced the deal during a press conference from the country's capital Canberra.

It follows another vaccine swap deal a few days ago, when Singapore agreed to send 500,000 vaccines that were about to expire to Australia. The agreement will see Australia return the same amount of Pfizer vaccine doses to Singapore in December.

Announcing the deal with the UK, Morrison says: "The plane is on the tarmac now. It will be leaving tomorrow.

"Those doses will be coming over the course of the next few weeks, which will see us double the Pfizer doses that we have during September.

"This means from Downing Street to Down Under, we are doubling down on what the Pfizer doses are here in Australia this month."

Australia has one of the slowest vaccine rollouts among wealthy countries, with just 36.4% of people over the age of 16 fully vaccinated. Millions of people are living in lockdown, amid an outbreak of the Delta variant which began in June.

Article share tools

Covid-19: Vaccines and vaccine passports being sold on darknet

54 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Article share tools

So the UK should agree with the swap..... .after all Australia twice came to your aid and saved your arse in WW1 & WW2.

cheers

• Confused 2

Kids in UK go back to school very soon after the summer break. That is primary, secondary, sixth form college. Then there are the Universities. 

This will inevitably raise the number of Covid cases in just a few weeks because the Virus can more easily spread in those environments then be passed on to parents and other family members and enters a wider chain of infection. More of a reason for Adults to get vaccinated

Perhaps in future, children under 16 maybe be vaccinated against Covid as they are with other vaccines like for Measles etc.

If it were an either/situation I would rather see kids vaccinated that losing out on education. 

2 hours ago, roobob said:

So the UK should agree with the swap..... .after all Australia twice came to your aid and saved your arse in WW1 & WW2.

cheers

Need to get them all vaccinated before we kick their arses in Dec , be good to do it in front of capacity crowds 🏏😉

Edited by Stillearly
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Kids in UK go back to school very soon after the summer break. That is primary, secondary, sixth form college. Then there are the Universities. 

This will inevitably raise the number of Covid cases in just a few weeks because the Virus can more easily spread in those environments then be passed on to parents and other family members and enters a wider chain of infection. More of a reason for Adults to get vaccinated

Perhaps in future, children under 16 maybe be vaccinated against Covid as they are with other vaccines like for Measles etc.

If it were an either/situation I would rather see kids vaccinated that losing out on education. 

Utter madness mate without any real history , do you have young kids? No way I'm giving permission (I'm pro vax for adults by the way) 

Football games are all back full capacity , concerts , festivals the list goes on what are we going to do shit ourselves for the rest of our lives?

Life goes on ..

Kids would still lose out on education or have you forgotten you can still catch and spread covid vaxxed up?

Edited by roomark

1 hour ago, roomark said:

Utter madness mate without any real history , do you have young kids? No way I'm giving permission (I'm pro vax for adults by the way) 

Football games are all back full capacity , concerts , festivals the list goes on what are we going to do shit ourselves for the rest of our lives?

Life goes on ..

I have a young grandson whom, I adore. I spend a lot of time with him and I am always concerned about his safety and wellbeing. But my daughter would make the call regarding vaccination which would be respected whatever that might be. 

It's up to the parents and always has been, regarding child vaccinations. Of course life goes on. That is what we all want. I don't feel like I am shitting myself over Covid at all, but the world is still in a phase of uncertainty. There already a number of different vaccinations available, other than Covid for under 16 year olds

Vaccination is nothing new. Yet suddenly some are worried about the Covid vaccination for children. 

I have an open mind about it, but I cant see much of a downside. I also don't want him to miss out on vital education through school lockdowns

I am in no way promoting child Covid vaccinations, but I am certainly not against it in principle. 

Fear is not a great motivator. We can either face our fears and risk any consequences that arise, or defend ourselves from those fears by taking defensive actions. But we are not all the same 

The truth of all this, is that none of us can know with any absolute certainty where all of this is going to end up. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, roomark said:

Life goes on ..

Kids would still lose out on education or have you forgotten you can still catch and spread covid vaxxed up?

The UK Watchdog advises against Covid jabs for all children aged 12 to 15. Sorry no link, but took a quick pic off my other phone.

20210903_154612.jpg

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1