COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

2 hours ago, KWA said:

I think the point is they're mostly treatable not that they can be vaccinated against, and that treatment is being missed out on.

It's not our decision to make, but knowing a covid victim survived instead of (for example) a family member with a different ailment wouldn't make that loss any easier to accept.

Fair and very valid point. The NHS became almost obsessed to the point of panic over controlling infection within the hospitals themselves, which, as you correctly said, left people unable to attend due to quite frankly, excessive infection control measures.

With the benefit of hindsight, the NHS (or areas of it) realise this now, but at the time they were pretty much being dictated to by the Govt and nominated sections within that. These sections (SAGE for example) were expecting the NHS to be overwhelmed, (going on the information coming out of Italy and Brazil, the USA etc) so could only use what was, previously, an untested and hopefully effective strategy to cope with it, such as cancelling everything like elective surgeries , routine visits and all but the most essential treatment.

However, this was perhaps in many cases, incorrectly interpreted by some NHS trusts and policy directors. One such example being, "Is sending someone to Hospital for a face to face with a consultant essential treatment?" - deemed by many not to be, but unfortunately if that consultation meant your cancer was caught at stage 1 and not a year later at stage 4, then that is, quite frankly bloody horrific and a major failing in the system. All under the umbrella of "infection control".

Is it fair to blame anyone? Well, many NHS staff are pointing the finger at mismanagement on a senior level and a failure of communication. A Trust Director of say, Nursing, does not want to be stood in front of local media explaining the huge covid outbreak in the hospital has closed wards. If questioned about people missing out on treatments, it is easier for them to hide , quite cowardly may I add, behind the shield of it being a "policy" to stop appointments that then sounds as if it has been passed down. "I was only following orders" as the saying goes, and when it comes to some Trust directors, there is never going to be any shortage of excuses to pull out of their backsides while shirking responsibility of any kind.

The problem is, there was never a "proper" way to deal with this, and somewhere along the line there inevitably would have been serious failings. The media spin will always dictate to the mainstream public depending upon their political leanings, while, as always, the true and tragic cost will always be borne by people like us.

Edited by Butch
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

Don't matter, end of the day, the whole medical community is milking the arse out of it to avoid seeing and treating patients properly. 

Disagree, at least as far as my GP surgery is concerned.

Yes, I have to ring up and ask for my GP to call me. But I've had to do that for some years, even pre covid. However, I have always had my call returned the same day, often as late as 8.30pm during my working days. My last returned call was after 6.30, and I know my GP was there working at 9am as I saw him arrive at work.

He will always carry check symptoms on that phone call, and if needed, will make an appointment for a face to face meeting, often only a few days later. Bear in mind that before this system you were often making an appointment for 10 days ahead to see them. If he's confident of his diagnosis he'll prescribe medication that you can collect at the pharmacy attached to the practice. 

He has, in conversation, said that this system means he can "see" 50% more patients, than when everyone was having to make appointments to visit.

Of course, not all practices are the same, and I'm sure some are hiding away.

I have seen a GP a few times since the start of all this.

If I ring our surgery when they open at 8am then I'll get a time later that day when the GP is going to call me & every time the GP has decided they want a face to face then it's been the same day.

So definitely not working from home.

The discussion about efficacy of GP surgeries in the UK could have been had pre-Covid. Mine is and was useless. 

I usually can't get through to them on the phone; if I want a telephone consultation, I have to book on-line and usually can't get an appointment for about 3 weeks (just the same as face to face pre-Covid); they don't do regular check-ups for us oldies; etc. 

• Like 1

Here's a very interesting video explaining a big change in attitude to Covid by authorities in the UK:

Please watch it to get the full story, but the bottom line is that there is no stopping everyone getting infected, so there's no point in collecting statistics on case numbers etc.

The big question is whether a booster shot will be given. That seems in the balance as contracting the disease would be more effective than a booster shot.

It goes without saying that the unvaccinated are at greatest risk.

• Like 3

The other coronavirus are all endemic, so no reason why this one should be any different.

I think it's a very positive message, albeit not positive if you've not been vaccinated yet.

Regarding the booster shots, from what I gather, if being vaccinated reduces the severity of symptoms and greatly reduces the chance of hospitalisation, then the more vulnerable will get them, so in the event of them inevitably catching Covid then their chances are increased, and they benefit from enhanced or improved levels of immunity with less risk after they are exposed to the virus, so kind of a "back up" plan to give people boosters, and to perhaps cover the shortfall of any waning protective effects of previously taken vaccines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

Here's a very interesting video explaining a big change in attitude to Covid by authorities in the UK:

Please watch it to get the full story, but the bottom line is that there is no stopping everyone getting infected, so there's no point in collecting statistics on case numbers etc.

The big question is whether a booster shot will be given. That seems in the balance as contracting the disease would be more effective than a booster shot.

It goes without saying that the unvaccinated are at greatest risk.

Been thinking much the same myself, hence ditching  the mask wearing personally back in July when Boris gave the go ahead.

Delta is so infectious all of us will end up contracting COVID. Anyone daft enough not to get vaccinated is taking on a bad bet with minimal upside.

Lockdowns/restricitions make no sense in vaccinated population or those countries were people have been offered a vaccine but have turned it down- more fool them

Just hope from a UK perspective that Government remains strong enough to stick with everything being open with no restrictions.

Let's get on with our lives, recognising that COVID is endemic and we just have to live with it.

• Like 5

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

https://thewhiterose.uk/

Buy T Shirt, stickers, Donate :default_cool:

https://www.bedfordindependent.co.uk/anger-at-anti-vax-and-conspiracy-misinformation-stickers-spotted-in-bedford/

Yet another money making anti vax nameless, faceless outfit under the guise of Freedom fighters stealing  their name from a WW2 anti Nazi group,scamming and braingrabbing the stupid for cash and trying to disrupt the UK Vaccine Rollout Programme  :default_bek035:

What a crock of Shite :default_1092:

If the Govt/NHS were Nazis then groups like these would have been rounded up and shot, months ago :default_coffee:

I am not sure that this Forum should be used to promote their propaganda 

• Like 2

When "thewhiterose" peddles utter and total bullshit like this (quoted from their site) we do need to question as to why the forum is used as a platform for it.

"Unless you receive a placebo, the covid so-called vaccine means infertility and injury, including instant or slow death. Avoid the jab and don’t let your child get near the covid jab needle.

If you knew that for children and adolescents the risk of dying from covid is zero, but that the risk of being harmed or killed by the covid vaccine is 50% – would you still let your child have the injection?

This is not scaremongering, it’s an attempt to prevent more unnecessary harm and deaths. If you’d see someone almost walking off a cliff, wouldn’t you tell them to stop before it’s too late?

The covid ‘vaccine’ is neither necessary, nor effective. It is dangerous and is being used as a tool for depopulation and totalitarian control."

Source: https://thewhiterose.uk/dont-take-the-vaccine/

Anyone signing up to these fuckwitts will , if they die of Covid, be dying of ignorance, but unfortunately one can't put that on a cause of death form. A few darwin awards to be handed out to this lot in the future I reckon.

Total and utter madness, selfish and ignorant people swept up in a false narrative of their own making supported by no evidence whatsoever.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Butch said:

When "thewhiterose" peddles utter and total bullshit like this (quoted from their site) we do need to question as to why the forum is used as a platform for it.

"Unless you receive a placebo, the covid so-called vaccine means infertility and injury, including instant or slow death. Avoid the jab and don’t let your child get near the covid jab needle.

If you knew that for children and adolescents the risk of dying from covid is zero, but that the risk of being harmed or killed by the covid vaccine is 50% – would you still let your child have the injection?

This is not scaremongering, it’s an attempt to prevent more unnecessary harm and deaths. If you’d see someone almost walking off a cliff, wouldn’t you tell them to stop before it’s too late?

The covid ‘vaccine’ is neither necessary, nor effective. It is dangerous and is being used as a tool for depopulation and totalitarian control."

Anyone signing up to these fuckwitts will , if they die of Covid, be dying of ignorance, but unfortunately one can't put that on a cause of death form. A few darwin awards to be handed out to this lot in the future I reckon.

Total and utter madness, selfish and ignorant people swept up in a false narrative of their own making supported by no evidence whatsoever.

Groups such as these need to be exposed for what they are rather than what they claim to be 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

58 minutes ago, Butch said:

Totally agree, then you have the fuckwits wondering why they get called fuckwits!

They deserve every single bit of scorn and ridicule that comes their way. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

Totally agree, then you have the fuckwits wondering why they get called fuckwits!

They deserve every single bit of scorn and ridicule that comes their way. 

I think what the White Rose was trying to say (above)

Every time your vaccine expires your freedom will expire too with a vax passport..

But I guess this bothers absolutely no one but fuckwits as you say..... 

Edited by fforest

12 minutes ago, fforest said:

I think what the White Rose was trying to say is...

Every time your vaccine expires your freedom will expire too with a vax passport..

But I guess this bothers no one but fuckwits as you say.....

But there are no expiry dates on vaccines. 

Who are White Rose BTW. We know what they are 

For the folks that think getting a Covid vaccine is risky or infringing on their rights...

You might read this:

Op-Ed: On the front lines, here’s what the seven stages of severe COVID-19 look like

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-08-26/pandemic-covid-19-stages-vaccination-intensive-care-respiratory-therapist?fbclid=IwAR2gS59KUqie1Vw4ByiglLP5dNnknlwVSwR94Fps_a1ji6XUSFLjPPoSLPc

BY KAREN GALLARDO- AUG. 26, 2021

Get vaccinated. If you choose not to, here’s what to expect if you are hospitalized for a serious case of COVID-19.

Stage 1. You’ve had debilitating symptoms for a few days, but now it is so hard to breathe that you come to the emergency room. Your oxygen saturation level tells us you need help, a supplemental flow of 1 to 4 liters of oxygen per minute. We admit you and start you on antivirals, steroids, anticoagulants or monoclonal antibodies. You’ll spend several days in the hospital feeling run-down, but if we can wean you off the oxygen, you’ll get discharged. You survive.

Stage 2. It becomes harder and harder for you to breathe. “Like drowning,” many patients describe the feeling. The bronchodilator treatments we give you provide little relief. Your oxygen requirements increase significantly, from 4 liters to 15 liters to 40 liters per minute. Little things, like relieving yourself or sitting up in bed, become too difficult for you to do on your own. Your oxygen saturation rapidly declines when you move about. We transfer you to the intensive care unit.

Stage 3. You’re exhausted from hyperventilating to satisfy your body’s demand for air. We put you on noninvasive, “positive pressure” ventilation — a big, bulky face mask that must be Velcro’d tightly around your face so the machine can efficiently push pressure into your lungs to pop them open so you get enough of the oxygen it delivers.

Stage 4. Your breathing becomes even more labored. We can tell you’re severely fatigued. An arterial blood draw confirms that the oxygen content in your blood is critically low. We prepare to intubate you. If you’re able to and if there’s time, we will suggest that you call your loved ones. This might be the last time they’ll hear your voice.

We connect you to a ventilator. You are sedated and paralyzed, fed through a feeding tube, hooked to a Foley catheter and a rectal tube. We turn your limp body regularly, so you don’t develop pressure ulcers — bed sores. We bathe you and keep you clean. We flip you onto your stomach to allow for better oxygenation. We will try experimental therapeutics.

Stage 5. Some patients survive Stage 4. Unfortunately, your oxygen levels and overall condition have not improved after several days on the ventilator. Your COVID-infested lungs need assistance and time to heal, something that an ECMO machine, which bypasses your lungs and oxygenates your blood, can provide. But alas, our community hospital doesn’t have that capability.

If you’re stable enough, you will get transferred to another hospital for that therapy. Otherwise, we’ll continue treating you as best we can. We’re understaffed and overwhelmed, but we’ll always give you the best care we can.

Stage 6. The pressure required to open your lungs is so high that air can leak into your chest cavity, so we insert tubes to clear it out. Your kidneys fail to filter the byproducts from the drugs we continuously give you. Despite diuretics, your entire body swells from fluid retention, and you require dialysis to help with your renal function.

The long hospital stay and your depressed immune system make you susceptible to infections. A chest X-ray shows fluid accumulating in your lung sacs. A blood clot may show up, too. We can’t prevent these complications at this point; we treat them as they present.

If your blood pressure drops critically, we will administer vasopressors to bring it up, but your heart may stop anyway. After several rounds of CPR, we’ll get your pulse and circulation back. But soon, your family will need to make a difficult decision.

Stage 7: After several meetings with the palliative care team, your family decides to withdraw care. We extubate you, turning off the breathing machinery. We set up a final FaceTime call with your loved ones. As we work in your room, we hear crying and loving goodbyes. We cry, too, and we hold your hand until your last natural breath.

I’ve been at this for 17 months now. It doesn’t get easier. My pandemic stories rarely end well.

Karen Gallardo is a respiratory therapist at Community Memorial Hospital in Ventura.

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 2
  • Great Info 5

6 minutes ago, lazarus said:

For the folks that think getting a Covid vaccine is risky or infringing on their rights...

You might read this:

Op-Ed: On the front lines, here’s what the seven stages of severe COVID-19 look like

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-08-26/pandemic-covid-19-stages-vaccination-intensive-care-respiratory-therapist?fbclid=IwAR2gS59KUqie1Vw4ByiglLP5dNnknlwVSwR94Fps_a1ji6XUSFLjPPoSLPc

Get vaccinated. If you choose not to, here’s what to expect if you are hospitalized for a serious case of COVID-19.

Stage 1. You’ve had debilitating symptoms for a few days, but now it is so hard to breathe that you come to the emergency room. Your oxygen saturation level tells us you need help, a supplemental flow of 1 to 4 liters of oxygen per minute. We admit you and start you on antivirals, steroids, anticoagulants or monoclonal antibodies. You’ll spend several days in the hospital feeling run-down, but if we can wean you off the oxygen, you’ll get discharged. You survive.

Stage 2. It becomes harder and harder for you to breathe. “Like drowning,” many patients describe the feeling. The bronchodilator treatments we give you provide little relief. Your oxygen requirements increase significantly, from 4 liters to 15 liters to 40 liters per minute. Little things, like relieving yourself or sitting up in bed, become too difficult for you to do on your own. Your oxygen saturation rapidly declines when you move about. We transfer you to the intensive care unit.

Stage 3. You’re exhausted from hyperventilating to satisfy your body’s demand for air. We put you on noninvasive, “positive pressure” ventilation — a big, bulky face mask that must be Velcro’d tightly around your face so the machine can efficiently push pressure into your lungs to pop them open so you get enough of the oxygen it delivers.

Stage 4. Your breathing becomes even more labored. We can tell you’re severely fatigued. An arterial blood draw confirms that the oxygen content in your blood is critically low. We prepare to intubate you. If you’re able to and if there’s time, we will suggest that you call your loved ones. This might be the last time they’ll hear your voice.

We connect you to a ventilator. You are sedated and paralyzed, fed through a feeding tube, hooked to a Foley catheter and a rectal tube. We turn your limp body regularly, so you don’t develop pressure ulcers — bed sores. We bathe you and keep you clean. We flip you onto your stomach to allow for better oxygenation. We will try experimental therapeutics.

Stage 5. Some patients survive Stage 4. Unfortunately, your oxygen levels and overall condition have not improved after several days on the ventilator. Your COVID-infested lungs need assistance and time to heal, something that an ECMO machine, which bypasses your lungs and oxygenates your blood, can provide. But alas, our community hospital doesn’t have that capability.

If you’re stable enough, you will get transferred to another hospital for that therapy. Otherwise, we’ll continue treating you as best we can. We’re understaffed and overwhelmed, but we’ll always give you the best care we can.

Stage 6. The pressure required to open your lungs is so high that air can leak into your chest cavity, so we insert tubes to clear it out. Your kidneys fail to filter the byproducts from the drugs we continuously give you. Despite diuretics, your entire body swells from fluid retention, and you require dialysis to help with your renal function.

The long hospital stay and your depressed immune system make you susceptible to infections. A chest X-ray shows fluid accumulating in your lung sacs. A blood clot may show up, too. We can’t prevent these complications at this point; we treat them as they present.

If your blood pressure drops critically, we will administer vasopressors to bring it up, but your heart may stop anyway. After several rounds of CPR, we’ll get your pulse and circulation back. But soon, your family will need to make a difficult decision.

Stage 7: After several meetings with the palliative care team, your family decides to withdraw care. We extubate you, turning off the breathing machinery. We set up a final FaceTime call with your loved ones. As we work in your room, we hear crying and loving goodbyes. We cry, too, and we hold your hand until your last natural breath.

I’ve been at this for 17 months now. It doesn’t get easier. My pandemic stories rarely end well.

Karen Gallardo is a respiratory therapist at Community Memorial Hospital in Ventura.

Posted this in the Politics Section which not all BM's read, so repeating here and ties in with your post.

There is no science based, factual argument that can be made that the risk of taking a vaccine is greater than the risks associated with catching Covid. With that in mind those resistant to taking the vaccine need to look at it as cheap (free) insurance against the worst of the downsides of a Covid infection.

Does my head in some are so stupid and stubborn to take steps to protect themselves and their loved ones. Like was posted in another topic, "What are you afraid of"?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, lazarus said:

You might read this:

Your not getting it....with a 99.++% chance of recovery....The anti-s are not concerned....

• Sad 1