COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

21 hours ago, boydeste said:

The UK Watchdog advises against Covid jabs for all children aged 12 to 15. Sorry no link, but took a quick pic off my other phone.

The JCVI is making the point in interviews today that this advice is based purely on the clinical benefits not being sufficient to recommend vaccination.  The social, education and other benefits may carry more weight when the government makes the final decision.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, KWA said:

The JCVI is making the point in interviews today that this advice is based purely on the clinical benefits not being sufficient to recommend vaccination.  The social, education and other benefits may carry more weight when the government makes the final decision.

No doubt it will be debated until the cows come home, just as many are still doing with the adults.

Hopefully it will be available for younsters with underlying health conditions, although many at that age have no idea that they do have such conditions.

Anyone who thinks that kids are less susceptible to Covid might update their thinking.

When the vaccine is fully vetted and available it's imperative to give it to your children.

I plan to.

. . .

More kids hospitalized with Covid-19 in states with lower vaccination rates, CDC report finds

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/03/health/kids-hospitalized-covid/index.html

More children went to the hospital and emergency room in states with lower vaccination rates, according to a new study from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Children have largely been spared the worst of Covid-19 -- hospitalizations and deaths are rarer for children than for adults -- although recently children's hospitals have been filling up in Covid-19 hotspots around the country.

The research published Friday in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Report found that hospitalizations and emergency room visits for kids with Covid-19 increased from June to August of this year.

In the two week period in mid to late August, ER visits were 3.4 times higher in the states with the lowest vaccination rates and hospitalizations were 3.7 times higher than in states with the highest vaccination rates. The states with the lowest vaccination coverage were in the South.

"Broad, community-wide vaccination of all eligible persons is a critical component of mitigation strategies to protect pediatric populations from SARS-CoV-2 infection and severe COVID-19 illness," the CDC-led team wrote...

. . .

Trends in COVID-19 Cases, Emergency Department Visits, and Hospital Admissions Among Children and Adolescents Aged 0–17 Years — United States, August 2020–August 2021

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7036e1.htm?s_cid=mm7036e1_w

. . .

Larry Brilliant: We're putting kids in harm's way

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/tv/2021/09/01/amanpour-larry-brilliant-coronavirus-pandemic-booster-shots-delta-variant-schools.cnn/video/playlists/coronavirus/

10 minutes ago, fforest said:

Remember, even if you're "vaccinated" you still need to wear a mask! The masks are to signal your membership in the covid club...

Even though we have been fully out of lock down for a while now you would never know it judging by the amount of people still wearing masks. Over 3/4 of the population double jabbed, yet people still living in fear of a virus that poses little threat to them. It's like they are happy to stay that way forever. 

Madness. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

Even though we have been fully out of lock down for a while now you would never know it judging by the amount of people still wearing masks. Over 3/4 of the population double jabbed, yet people still living in fear of a virus that poses little threat to them. It's like they are happy to stay that way forever. 

Madness. 

Madness maybe. With 1/4 of the population (in the UK) not vaccinated there is still some risk.

Regardless of what you or I may think and do, it's up to each person to gauge their own risk and decide on their own appropriate precautions.

Worried About Breakthrough Infections? Here’s How to Navigate This Phase of the Pandemic.
If you’re vaccinated, you should think about a number of variables, including your overall health, where you live and the risks you take.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/breakthrough-infections-covid-19-coronavirus.html

. . .

Is it still safe to gather unmasked with vaccinated people?

In many cases it will be safe, but the answer depends on a number of variables. The risk is lower with a few close family members and friends than a large group of people you don’t know. Outdoor gatherings are safer than indoor gatherings. What’s the community transmission rate? What’s the ventilation in the room? Do you have underlying health issues that would make you vulnerable to complications from Covid-19? Do any of the vaccinated people have a fever, sniffles or a cough?

“The big question is can five people sit around a table unmasked if we know they’re all vaccinated,” Dr. Jha said. “I think the answer is yes. The chances of anybody spreading the virus in that context is exceedingly low. And if someone does spread the virus, the other people are not going to get super sick from it. I certainly think most of us should not fear breakthrough infections to the point where we won’t tolerate doing things we really value in life.”

For larger gatherings or even small gatherings with a highly vulnerable person, rapid antigen testing using home testing kits can lower risk. Asking people to use a test a few days before the event, and then the day of the event, adds another layer of protection. Opening windows and doors or adding a HEPA air cleaner can also help...

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

Madness. 

Among "Gold Standard" Gladys' body count are people who were either partially or fully vaccinated.

Makes you bullet resistant not bullet proof.

Singapore, 80% fully vaccinated.

Singapore has been one of the greatest Covid success stories during the pandemic. Picture: Suhaimi Abdullah/Getty Images.

Masks are still a critical part of Singapore’s Covid-19 prevention plan, and are mandatory for all persons six and above when leaving the home. Picture: Roslan Rahman / AFP.

4 hours ago, galenkia said:

Madness. 

Perhaps you have forgotten that Transport for London require passengers to wear masks. 

And you are mistaken in thinking that people wearing masks are living in fear. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

Perhaps you have forgotten that Transport for London require passengers to wear masks. 

And you are mistaken in thinking that people wearing masks are living in fear. 

I tend to to agree with @galenkia that a significant number of people are living in fear.

Most days I will see people on my own street wearing outdoors. Sometimes out of first 10 people I see going to the local stroll 5 or more will be wearing a mask.

That doesn't strike me as rational decision at all for so many reasons

- These are the cheap disposable masks that aren't the most effective in the first instance and worn walking around for extending periods will get wet with spittle, sweat and stop being an effective barrier at all.

-Our antibody levels here in the UK are running at over 90%, I think 95% was the figure quoted. So through vaccination and infection.

-The risks outdoors are virtually zero.

Why are they doing it?In  part I'd think ignorance of the above, but I also think fear is a big factor. Again walking locally I'll have people pulling their mask up if they've got it lowered as they see me coming- I can't be that bad😄

I feel many older people are very afraid, disproportionately so for where we are now. If you are scared to be out of the street without a mask, then something for me is very wrong (note I'm just talking about my corner of NW London, as it's first hand experience, rather than Google)

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 3

@Lemondropkid I'm not arguing that some people are living in fear of Covid-19. I have 2 (independent) friends in Devon who certainly are, one is a bad mental casualty of the lockdown. Whether the number is "significant", you and I don't know. You seem to think that it is, I don't.

But maybe that is because you equate mask wearing with living in fear. You should not do so. I wear a mask on public transport and in shops, but I am not living in fear. Wearing a mask for me is not uncomfortable or an inconvenience. Sometimes I can be seen on the High Street wearing a mask, either because I have forgotten to take it off or because I'm moving on to another shop shortly.

An increasing number of people are NOT wearing masks, and we will suffer the consequences of this in coming months. Take a look at this video to understand why I say this:

If you don't want to watch all of it, maybe just look from 11 mins 16 secs onwards.

• Surprised 1

14 minutes ago, Bazle said:

@Lemondropkid I'm not arguing that some people are living in fear of Covid-19. I have 2 (independent) friends in Devon who certainly are, one is a bad mental casualty of the lockdown. Whether the number is "significant", you and I don't know. You seem to think that it is, I don't.

But maybe that is because you equate mask wearing with living in fear. You should not do so. I wear a mask on public transport and in shops, but I am not living in fear. Wearing a mask for me is not uncomfortable or an inconvenience. Sometimes I can be seen on the High Street wearing a mask, either because I have forgotten to take it off or because I'm moving on to another shop shortly.

An increasing number of people are NOT wearing masks, and we will suffer the consequences of this in coming months. Take a look at this video to understand why I say this:

If you don't want to watch all of it, maybe just look from 11 mins 16 secs onwards.

I find it incredible to hear someone like that claiming that people in this country don't know what symptoms you get with covid and then blaming the government for that.

You would have needed to have just woken up from a 2 year coma if you are not aware of covid symptoms methinks!

• Surprised 1

48 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Cheers Baz. my comment on people living in fear were based on what I'm seeing local to me and outdoors.  

I'm fine with people who choose to wear a mask in shops or public transport. It's more outdoors that I think is madness. Myself I choose not to but no issues if someone chooses to.

That said I'm not convinced with the efficacy of many of the masks I see being worn outside of a medical environment. I concede I might be wrong.

I like Tim Spector and agree on his point in the video that the Government are not informing people on how the major symptoms of COVID are changing. 

Disagree when he says that we should avoid public gatherings and busy places until the Government brings in more enforcement. Living in a City and enjoying going to events following that to my mind would be living fear- my personal view.

I think that whilst we currently, mostly free of of the major restrictions that were in place during months of Lockdown, that we are still in a transitional phase of this epidemic and it will take a while longer before masks are a thing of the past. 

I don't see much of a necessity to wear a mask while out in the fresh air but use my judgement as to wear I am, and of course on public transport which is still mandatory, although I don't think that it is being enforced. 

Whilst the vaccines  provide some defence against  more extreme symptoms of Covid and reduce deaths and hospitalisation, they are not a guarantee that one cannot still catch the virus and spread it to another. 

Cases of the Delta strain are still high in the UK, specially in certain areas. That was expected, as restrictions were lifted. So we are not out of the woods yet. 

But one has to also realise, that if some people chose not to wear a mask or be vaccinated, then others should have the right to chose to whether to wear masks and get vaccinated. Whilst cases are still increasing, some are concerned that we still could go back into Lockdown again this winter. Let's hope and pray that this is not the case. 

Like others, I still see a lot of people wearing masks outdoors, but it doesn't bother me, even though I generally choose not to. I am more bothered if I get on a bus or tube and people are not wearing them. What I do find crazy is drivers on their own in a car still wearing a mask. That is like wearing a mask in your living room 

Habits are formed very quickly and I think it will be while before we see a mask free society again. 

I'm happy to continue wearing a mask, but equally happy not to. Where I am,  various shops ask people to continue wearing them, but only one enforces it. They dont seem to be doing any worse because of their policy. I tend to wear them in shops or other enclosed spaces, especially if there are elderly in the same shop wearing them, just to help them feel safer.

As kaprow beat me to saying, it's up to people to do their own risk assessment on what they feel comfortable  with. I'm not going to criticise others for wearing or not wearing a mask.

Outside, no, I dont wear one, UNLESS I have been in a shop, and am returning to the car. Am I scared? No. I've got both hands full, and I'm not able to remove my mask with my feet...

• Like 2

I think that one of the greatest dangers,is polarisation. 

United we stand, divided  we fall. 

Covid 19 is the common enemy. We can't see it, we can't taste it, we can't feel it until it grabs hold, and we certainly can't reason with it. 

Everyone wants to the same outcome

We all want to go back to living our lives as normal. 

But the argument is how that is achieved. 

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

You would have needed to have just woken up from a 2 year coma if you are not aware of covid symptoms methinks!

You are so wrong about that! The symptoms from Covid after having the jab are different, but the government has not updated its website. Apparently, European governments have acknowledged this.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Bazle said:

You are so wrong about that! The symptoms from Covid after having the jab are different, but the government has not updated its website. Apparently, European governments have acknowledged this.

Well my brothers whole family and one of my mates family have just recovered from covid, that's 4 adults and 2 lads and 2 girls. All 8 of them had a combination of the symptoms which have been common knowledge for a long time now. 

All double jabbed except for the younger girls.

Would you like to enlighten us to these new symptoms that we are not aware of please?

• Like 2
  • Surprised 1

2 hours ago, Bazle said:

I'll echo @boydeste's post. Everything I've read is the symptoms are the same, just less severe.