Pattaya at the moment

Bazle

No water to be seen into and out of Khaos Corner last night. A few wandered into Nikom with wet shirts from elsewhere.

Traffic is definitely on the increase though. Soi Lengkee at times was backed up from Buakhao back to 3rd Rd.

The traffic situation wasn't helped by some selfish Thai guy double parking in front of the corner food stand on Lengkee. He must have stopped for food as he was there for about 10 minutes. Really added to the grid lock at Khaos Corner, but amazing Thailand, no one honked their horn.

• Thanks 1

That's it. I'm now going to go into seclusion for the remaining days until the big blowout on the 19th. Just madness the insanity of those that have started the water throwing this far in advance. 

I had a couple of beers at Nikom and watched the water throwing continue to well after dark on Lengkee and Buakhao. Sky Bar and the massage shop next to Nikom had zero customers for the 90 minutes I was at Nikom, no doubt because they were throwing water at anyone who passed their place of business. Great way to attract customers, not!

I see a great business opportunity for a group of bars on a soi to declare a water free zone for the 8 days leading up to the big party on the 19th. I expect they would do a massive amount of business from the majority that are looking for a refuge from the madness of what Songkran has become.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

That's it. I'm now going to go into seclusion for the remaining days until the big blowout on the 19th. Just madness the insanity of those that have started the water throwing this far in advance. 

I had a couple of beers at Nikom and watched the water throwing continue to well after dark on Lengkee and Buakhao. Sky Bar and the massage shop next to Nikom had zero customers for the 90 minutes I was at Nikom, no doubt because they were throwing water at anyone who passed their place of business. Great way to attract customers, not!

I see a great business opportunity for a group of bars on a soi to declare a water free zone for the 8 days leading up to the big party on the 19th. I expect they would do a massive amount of business from the majority that are looking for a refuge from the madness of what Songkran has become.

i think it is fair,to let the Thais do what they want in their own contry,if you not like it,so why not stay away

17 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

No water to be seen into and out of Khaos Corner last night. A few wandered into Nikom with wet shirts from elsewhere.

Traffic is definitely on the increase though. Soi Lengkee at times was backed up from Buakhao back to 3rd Rd.

The traffic situation wasn't helped by some selfish Thai guy double parking in front of the corner food stand on Lengkee. He must have stopped for food as he was there for about 10 minutes. Really added to the grid lock at Khaos Corner, but amazing Thailand, no one honked their horn.

Is that the unofficial name for that confluence of Buakhao, Diana and Lengkee....Khaos Corner?

If so, very appropriate. I've sat at Nikom many times with a large Tiger and watched in amazement how the traffic all merges together in different directions, as if there was some invisible turning circle with everyone yielding to the oncoming vehicles on their left.

Watching it all unfold, along with the occasional sexy lady on a motorbike passing through, does make for some entertaining scenery!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

It kicked off today in Patong, Phuket too!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

Ill take a guess and say its mostly idiot falangs.

But who is providing the water , selling the guns and encouraging the behaviour ..

my first Songkran was 1995 , pre internet and I had no idea what was happening, every day in Pattaya the guns were getting bigger and every night from the 12th until the 19th I got soaked , it was driven by the Thais back then and I would say it still is , the tourists just follow .. 

• Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

But who is providing the water , selling the guns and encouraging the behaviour ..

my first Songkran was 1995 , pre internet and I had no idea what was happening, every day in Pattaya the guns were getting bigger and every night from the 12th until the 19th I got soaked , it was driven by the Thais back then and I would say it still is , the tourists just follow .. 

Yep big money spinner,and plenty falang bars encouraging no doubt,used to enjoy the first few years....for 1 or 2 days.

The last songkran experience for me was in pak nam pran and all over by 6pm,it was a lot more tame and enjoyable....as no idiot falangs. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

Yep big money spinner,and plenty falang bars encouraging no doubt,used to enjoy the first few years....for 1 or 2 days.

The last songkran experience for me was in pak nam pran and all over by 6pm,it was a lot more tame and enjoyable....as no idiot falangs. 🙂

Agree it's about money in Patts , no other reason to extend to the 19th ...

I like Samui only a couple of days and by the evening of the 15th it's all over  😎

• Thumbs Up 3

My last Songkran in Pattaya was in 1992,since then I've been in Korat for a few but tend to stay indoors during the day.

Worst time was in Korat when we forgot it was silly season & borrowed my sister-in-laws pick up to go to an opticians in Korat town.Got caught up in a convoy of water throwing pick ups so kept the windows closed as it wasn't our vehicle.

Then the AC packed up.

Never want to be in Pattaya for another one.

• Thumbs Up 4

6 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Is that the unofficial name for that confluence of Buakhao, Diana and Lengkee....Khaos Corner?

If so, very appropriate. I've sat at Nikom many times with a large Tiger and watched in amazement how the traffic all merges together in different directions, as if there was some invisible turning circle with everyone yielding to the oncoming vehicles on their left.

Watching it all unfold, along with the occasional sexy lady on a motorbike passing through, does make for some entertaining scenery!

5 hours ago, Bazle said:

I've heard it referred to as "crash corner". 

The corner goes by several names, Confusion Corner another one.

I'd say Crash Corner is a misnomer as in all the years of having a beer there and watching the khaos unfold, very rarely did I see an accident. And on the rare occasion when there was one, the participants quickly got up and dusted themselves off and went on their way. Traffic moves to slow through the intersection for accident to result in more than a couple of scrapes and bruises.

I think Khaos Corner is a testament to the patience of the Thai. They generally take their time making their way through the intersection, and while their poor judgement and driving skills can sometimes lead to grid lock, they don't become unbent and start laying on the horn to resolve the situation. Only time I hear a horn, or someone trying to push their way through in an aggressive manner, it's usually a Westerner.

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, latour82 said:

i think it is fair,to let the Thais do what they want in their own contry,if you not like it,so why not stay away

I do believe that was the point @forcebwithu was making in that he intends to stay away from it.

Also I concur with @Phantom51red in that, in Pattaya, generally it is Farang that take things too far.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

The corner goes by several names, Confusion Corner another one.

7 hours ago, Bazle said:

I've heard it referred to as "crash corner". 

8 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

the traffic all merges together in different directions, as if there was some invisible turning circle with everyone yielding to the oncoming vehicles on their left.

Here is a little snippet of information regarding that junction..

The author of a series of well known books about Pattaya (under his real name) also wrote for a few Pattaya based publications under a pseudonym. When he returned to his home country he continued with his "contributions".

Anyway, one of his "mates" convinced him that a mini roundabout had been built on that junction and that it was causing even more chaos.. You may have read the one article that made it to press in one of the free magazines ......

• Haha 1

Still able to get my morning ride and/or walk in, so there is that. Pretty quiet on the water front this morning. Only a couple of places scattered around central Pattaya that had a few squirt guns out. Not much traffic so easy enough to divert into the oncoming lane to avoid those places.

Did see one old, shirtless, tatted up westerner with his Thai lady in tow on Buakhao trying to start fights by squirting into businesses as he walked by. Could hear his Thai lady asking him stop and his reply was "they can come out and make me". Nicely sums up the attitude of some towards others they share this world with.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Still able to get my morning ride and/or walk in, so there is that. Pretty quiet on the water front this morning. Only a couple of places scattered around central Pattaya that had a few squirt guns out. Not much traffic so easy enough to divert into the oncoming lane to avoid those places.

Did see one old, shirtless, tatted up westerner with his Thai lady in tow on Buakhao trying to start fights by squirting into businesses as he walked by. Could hear his Thai lady asking him stop and his reply was "they can come out and make me". Nicely sums up the attitude of some towards others they share this world with.

Be careful out there mate. My friend was bitten by a soi dog on Buakhao early this morning....

I guess the dogs' routines have been totally buggered up by Songkran and are not in a good mood!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2