Pattaya at the moment

Bazle

Songkran seems to be enjoyable anywhere in Thailand as long as you are not stuck in Pattaya's extended version.

It is a Thai Festival and they have a great time limiting the water throwing aspect usually to the one main day. Songkran in Bangsaray where I lived was a great fun day with lots of music, water and alcohol consumption.

My first visit to Mae Sot coincided with Songkran and I joined in with the procession through the streets on a borrowed Honda with Sai's young cousin on the back. It was slow going and this teenage Thai guy decided to practice his English by striking up a conversation with me. When we started to very slowly move again he said "Goodbye" and at the same time tipped a large bucket of water full of ice over my head! Nearest experience to jumping off the deck of the Titanic. 😄

One day is okay.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Haha 2
  • Surprised 1

15 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Songkran seems to be enjoyable anywhere in Thailand as long as you are not stuck in Pattaya's extended version.

Pattaya being the 'armpit' of Thailand is going to stay wet longer and smell bad. Just the nature of the beast.

You're right about other places being more manageable and fun. 

5627695034_50a251501e_o.jpg

Edited by lazarus
@@
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Jambo said:

It is a Thai Festival and they have a great time limiting the water throwing aspect usually to the one main day. Songkran in Bangsaray where I lived was a great fun day with lots of music, water and alcohol consumption.

My first visit to Mae Sot coincided with Songkran and I joined in with the procession through the streets on a borrowed Honda with Sai's young cousin on the back. It was slow going and this teenage Thai guy decided to practice his English by striking up a conversation with me. When we started to very slowly move again he said "Goodbye" and at the same time tipped a large bucket of water full of ice over my head! Nearest experience to jumping off the deck of the Titanic. 😄

One day is okay.

These tossers are out at the same place causing the same havoc today. There's actually more of them today, mostly farangs, but they kind of cover themselves by having some kids there too. Just waiting for a road accident as motorbikes are speeding up and riding along the wrong side of the road to avoid these c***s.

This is in Jomtien by the way, after you turn right at the lights at the bottom to Thappraya road and head down towards the beach. The first bar on the right you come to after going under the arch. Total wankers.

• Sad 3

Came walking out of CentralWorld into literally 1000's with the water guns. There's live music, outside food village etc. But everyone in the main being respectful. We had to walk the 'gauntlet' to where the taxis were, but not once did any of us get hit by water in the face. I think they generally didn't fire at you if they seen you didn't have a water gun or participating.

We did get hit a bit, but I think collateral damage 😆

Now safely back in King Power lobby with an ice coffee and the gorgeous almond shortbread cookie things they give you, and 200 Baht lighter, no taxi meters on days like this, a sellers market lol

20230414_173551.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Well, I have to admit that I had my fun with Songkhran back in the day; my first occasions were in Chiang Mai and were much more civilized than Pattaya - everyone well behaved and no viciousness on display; the only thing I didn't like about it there was the fact that since most of the action was on the ring road around the old castle and moat,  most people would simply throw buckets into the klong and use that skunky water to splash you  with - had to be careful not to get this in your eyes or mouth. I also did a couple in Bangkok which weren't too bad - there was some stupidity happening but at least it ended with sunset and was mostly confined to the busier areas like Nana and Cowboy. 

But Pattaya is on another level altogether - my first complete Songkhran there was in 2009 when I was staying at the Rockhouse in LK Metro - I got right into it that year, mainly by being pissed every day for nine days straight and often carrying on into the wee hours but I was still polite about it, not targeting those who obviously weren't into it or were going to and from work or evening outings. I did see a lot of nastiness from others, though - some people just get too carried away with their own fun and don't think about how it affects others. Some of the best times I had that year were in Soi 8 at the old Cherry Bar - it was like a war zone, with pitched battles going on between opposing sides of the street and god help anybody passing by! I have to say in retrospect that as long as I was dressed and armed for it, I didn't mind being drenched in water all day but I certainly didn't care for having any kind of damned powder thrown into my face or rubbed into my hair and I found the Thais to be by far the worst for these types of excesses. 

Anyway, that was then and this is now and I am perfectly happy to miss out on the festivities now and for future visits; here's a couple of photos from that year, 2009:

rsz_songkhran_warrior.jpg

rsz_1team_attack_2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Britboy said:

These tossers are out at the same place causing the same havoc today. There's actually more of them today, mostly farangs, but they kind of cover themselves by having some kids there too. Just waiting for a road accident as motorbikes are speeding up and riding along the wrong side of the road to avoid these c***s.

This is in Jomtien by the way, after you turn right at the lights at the bottom to Thappraya road and head down towards the beach. The first bar on the right you come to after going under the arch. Total wankers.

Sounds like country road bar.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a Canadian friend there now and he sent me a couple of pics of the madness from his seat at the Zero Bar on Soi Buokow. He said traffic was practically at a dead stop, then just very slowly would get moving again. I'm sure a few of you are familiar with the location. Great for people watching, but like others, I'd rather not be around for any of the cluster fcuk going on.

Just hope any potential motorbike accidents caused by the water being fired at passing riders are few and far between.

I find it strange that due to Covid protocols these past few years where the government canceled Songkran altogether, why can't they, along with the local BIB course, then limit the festivities to say, 3 days, when it's back to being celebrated again?

Isn't that a closer time frame to what the spirit of the celebration was in the first place?

• Thumbs Up 7

16 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

I find it strange that due to Covid protocols these past few years where the government canceled Songkran altogether, why can't they, along with the local BIB course, then limit the festivities to say, 3 days, when it's back to being celebrated again?

Isn't that a closer time frame to what the spirit of the celebration was in the first place?

$$$$$$ 

• Great Info 1

Posted on hua hin fb page,some say its fake and a set up ? 

The headline says....This isnt what songkrans about.

Only thing make me think its a set up..Would her right hand still be on throttle if falling on her right side ? and off course the photo itself.

341205482_6028749307179320_6165151584351879825_n.jpg

Edited by Phantom51red
  • Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

Posted on hua hin fb page,some say its fake and a set up ? 

The headline says....This isnt what songkrans about.

Only thing make me think its a set up..Would her right hand still be on throttle if falling on her right side ? and off course the photo itself.

341205482_6028749307179320_6165151584351879825_n.jpg

Not a single tourist in sight ... surely the Thais wouldn't be so reckless ... 555 😉 

looks like a set up picture to me as well 👍

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I enjoyed an hour or two of watching on Soi Buakhao yesterday afternoon.  Mostly Thais and mostly good natured during the time I was there.

I'm sure I read a rule about maximum 4 people allowed in the back of pickup which seems to have been forgotten about.

songkran 2023 01.jpg

And no shortage of ice vendors doing the rounds to help participants keep their water chilly.

songkran 2023 02.jpg

• Like 6

3rd day in a row at this place and there's been more people each day.

Seems much better natured this time, no chucking buckets over motorbikes. That was pretty much down to 1 dumb farang, who did this constantly the first 2 days, but don't see him today.

Songkran 23.jpg

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It is particularly dangerous if one is on a motorbike and  get little warning that you are about to receive a bucket of water in the face. There is a natural reflex action to "swerve" out of the way only to risk losing the front wheel and down you go!

Indian guys used to stay in a hotel on Second Road and congregate outside of it during Songkran. I have forgotten its name but it is the one next to where McDonald's is now. I always used to slow down and move right into the center of the road to try to avoid them. That and the threats I shouted usually was sufficient but I was behind a Thai girl one day who went down thanks to some dickhead who chased her out into  the road.

I and several others stopped to help her and fortunately her injuries were relatively superficial but she was very shook up. Needless to say the dickheads made themselves absent.

I was however once leaving The Residence Gardens Hotel where I always stayed on trips when almost opposite a guy came off his motorbike after some pissed up farlang in Union Jack shorts chucked a bucket of water over him. The good guy had definite cuts and scrapes as a result and went absolutely ape shit. He really went for the pisshead and certainly did not need my help. Good job as I bruise easily.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Jambo said:

It is particularly dangerous if one is on a motorbike and  get little warning that you are about to receive a bucket of water in the face. There is a natural reflex action to "swerve" out of the way only to risk losing the front wheel and down you go!

Indian guys used to stay in a hotel on Second Road and congregate outside of it during Songkran. I have forgotten its name but it is the one next to where McDonald's is now. I always used to slow down and move right into the center of the road to try to avoid them. That and the threats I shouted usually was sufficient but I was behind a Thai girl one day who went down thanks to some dickhead who chased her out into  the road.

I and several others stopped to help her and fortunately her injuries were relatively superficial but she was very shook up. Needless to say the dickheads made themselves absent.

I was however once leaving The Residence Gardens Hotel where I always stayed on trips when almost opposite a guy came off his motorbike after some pissed up farlang in Union Jack shorts chucked a bucket of water over him. The good guy had definite cuts and scrapes as a result and went absolutely ape shit. He really went for the pisshead and certainly did not need my help. Good job as I bruise easily.

The hotel with the Indian guys is Called the VC Hotel.....GoGolover use to always talk about this spot and how much he hated it....

• Thumbs Up 1

I was out two nights ago and managed to not get wet after 7pm in the Buakhao area, so thought I would chance it again tonight. Big mistake.

Made it from Khaos Corner to New Plaza without getting anything more than a few random sprinkles of overspray. Did a U-Turn at the top of New Plaza as I could see the water throwing was still going strong on the end closest to 2nd Rd. Then on my way back going south on Buakhao at what I now think of as the very inappropriate named Friendship Bar a Thai kid that looked all of 10 years old let lose with a stream of water from across the soi with one of those damn PVC pipes and nailed me in the face. He only got lucky with the shot because I was trapped in stalled traffic. I looked across and yelled NO which got a lot of surprised looks.

WTF do they expect. It's after dark and I'm obviously trying to avoid the water by getting as far away from it as possible. Fine for those that want to play, but as has been said multiple times before, leave those that obviously want no part of it out of the madness.

The 20th can't get here soon enough to put a stop to this perversion of what used to be a very respectful Thai holiday.

• Like 3
  • Great Info 2
  • Sad 1
  • Surprised 2

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

When was it a respectful Thai holiday in Pattaya ? 

Good point. In the 14 years I've lived in Pattaya it's been nothing like the Songkran I experienced in the villages around Thailand. What has changed is a gradual lengthening in the duration and intensity of the madness here. Shame I have to leave my home to avoid the stress of Songkran, but that's what I intend to do from now on.

• Like 3