What did you learn today?

fygjam

3 minutes ago, Lirchenfeld said:

I have to disappoint you, and many others. She always said didn't wanted many kids, thats why she only had me and my sister. 

Thank you for understanding my joke... I was worried it could have gone the wrong way ..

I have six sisters because my parents were trying for a boy ..........Instead they got me !!!

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Thank you for understanding my joke... I was worried it could have gone the wrong way ..

I have six sisters because my parents were trying for a boy ..........Instead they got me !!!

So a week after your birth and people asked "who does he look like" your parents replied "we haven't looked at his face yet".

• Haha 1

What I learned today was that over the phone I could persuade the nice foreign sounding lady at TalkTalk to reduce my internet payment from 34.50 to 22.90 pounds per month by playing the impoverished pensioner reluctantly being forced to switch to an old farts special rate with BT.

She was almost in tears and changed the rate from the next payment due on the 22nd of this month with the guaranteed megawhatsip speed unchanged. 

She even confirmed by email.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

What I learned today was that the next time I am eating sweet & sour chicken and I think it tastes a bit funny I should immediately stop eating it and chuck it in the bin.

This mornings three flush dump taught me that lesson!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Jambo said:

What I learned today was that the next time I am eating sweet & sour chicken and I think it tastes a bit funny I should immediately stop eating it and chuck it in the bin.

This mornings three flush dump taught me that lesson!

Similar to me years back, I was eating spaghetti Bolognese in Rick's café in Angeles City, back in the early 90s and it tasted really funny. I was sick as a parrot for the next few days but 2 weeks later a blood test confirmed I had got Hep A, wasn't happy. Was off work for 7 weeks as it is a communicable disease and I was as week as a kitten, lost 2.5 stones in weight.

• Sad 3

What I learned today was that it was an extremely bad idea to pull my bath towel off the rail, opposed to lifting, as this resulted in the rail and my anti pissing on my feet night light both in several pieces on the bathroom floor!

With some difficulty, due to my bad knee/hip, the rail is back up and the night light in its usual place although now held together with copious amounts of sellotape.

Edited by Jambo
piz por spelin
  • Haha 2
  • Surprised 1

20 hours ago, Jambo said:

What I learned today was that it was an extremely bad idea to pull my bath towel off the rail, opposed to lifting, as this resulted in the rail and my anti pissing on my feet night light both in several pieces on the bathroom floor!

With some difficulty, due to my bad knee/hip, the rail is back up and the night light in its usual place although now held together with copious amounts of sellotape.

Once worked a case.... posted this before.

A six year old kid came home from school. His father (Chinese foreign student) wasn't there as usual to meet him at the bus stop.

Kid goes home finds his father laying motionless on the floor.

We get there and check him out. Guy is dead with a hole through his side rib cage area.

Turns out he slipped while getting out of the tub. Grab the towel rack which easily broke. When he hit the floor the rack went through him directly into the heart. Probably died instantly.

• Sad 5

Not so much what I learnt, but hopefully what the numb nuts fishing further along the bank learnt.

This lake involves a lot of distance fishing up to 200 yards. Spots are found and marked with H blocks. You drop your rigs, bait up and remove the H block.

On day 2 I noticed he had left all 3 of his H blocks in the water. The next time he walked past I said hello and had a general chat with him about the lake. I casually asked if he was bringing his H blocks in. His response was that he was fishing with tight clutches and a fish couldn't possibly make it around them. I mentioned that most lake rules don't allow them to be left in, but didn't know whether this lake had the same. 

He said he was personal friends with the owner and he could do what he wanted. That attitude is pretty much end of conversation. I wished him luck and walked away thinking what a tosser he was.

This morning after hearing him cursing and throwing his toys out the pram, I walked up and asked if he was OK.

"No, I just lost a big fish, it went around my H block and cut me off. Now my H block is gone too"

Trying not to smile too much, I said not good and walked away struggling not to laugh.

Let's see if he brings his other 2 in tonight.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Not so much what I learnt, but hopefully what the numb nuts fishing further along the bank learnt.

This lake involves a lot of distance fishing up to 200 yards. Spots are found and marked with H blocks. You drop your rigs, bait up and remove the H block.

On day 2 I noticed he had left all 3 of his H blocks in the water. The next time he walked past I said hello and had a general chat with him about the lake. I casually asked if he was bringing his H blocks in. His response was that he was fishing with tight clutches and a fish couldn't possibly make it around them. I mentioned that most lake rules don't allow them to be left in, but didn't know whether this lake had the same. 

He said he was personal friends with the owner and he could do what he wanted. That attitude is pretty much end of conversation. I wished him luck and walked away thinking what a tosser he was.

This morning after hearing him cursing and throwing his toys out the pram, I walked up and asked if he was OK.

"No, I just lost a big fish, it went around my H block and cut me off. Now my H block is gone too"

Trying not to smile too much, I said not good and walked away struggling not to laugh.

Let's see if he brings his other 2 in tonight.

You could start a very popular "reality t.v." show. Call it "fishing wars". 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

You could start a very popular "reality t.v." show. Call it "fishing wars". 

The guy obviously is not very experienced at this type of fishing, but thinks he knows it all.

Normally a bit of advice from someone that has been around the block a bit is welcomed. 

There are some massive fish in this lake and he may of just lost a fish of a lifetime. 

There is no accounting for stupidity. 

• Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, boydeste said:

Time for me to learn something.

As someone who can only catch a cold, what is an "H block"?

3 minutes ago, Chang_Paarp said:

I was wondering the same. Found this video. After watching the video I'm thinking, ok you got this nifty radio controlled boat to drop the H Block somewhere offshore, so what do you do to retrieve the H Block, hopefully after there's a fish on the line?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chang_Paarp said:

Never seen anyone dropping H blocks from a bait boat, how do you retrieve it?

They were designed to be dropped from a dingy of row boat. Once a spot is found, you throw it in the water and it unwinds as the lead weight drops to the bottom. So they self set the depth. It's really difficult to hold a spot in a boat, especially if it's windy.

Marking the area allows you to return to it to bait up and position your rig.

Then you retrieve it so you don't create a snag for when you get a bite.

Unless you are stupid that is. Guy down the bank has left his last 2 in the water even though he has lost a big fish around his 3rd.

Shakes head in disbelief. 

I can't upload pictures again,  even small ones.

Edited by boydeste
  • Great Info 1

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I was wondering the same. Found this video. After watching the video I'm thinking, ok you got this nifty radio controlled boat to drop the H Block somewhere offshore, so what do you do to retrieve the H Block, hopefully after there's a fish on the line?

That's a good video to demonstrate how they work. 

Still can't upload pictures. 

• 2 weeks later...

I received a refund cheque for 53 pounds in the post.

Who gets cheque's these days?

My nearest Bank of Scotland branch is too far for me to walk to with my f***d knee and hip. 

Phoned daughter number one and asked her to remind me that when she visits next Friday to bring with me the cheque and you can kindly park close to a B of S branch.

"Have you the B of S App on your phone?" says daughter.

"Yes?" says I 

"Then you can scan the cheque into the App and don't have to visit.

So I open the App and low and behold one of the options is indeed scan in cheques. The App even provides an old farts visual demonstration.

Once I managed to stop my hand shaking whilst doing the scan it was dead simple.

I learned something new today. 😄

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

13 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I received a refund cheque for 53 pounds in the post.

Who gets cheque's these days?

My nearest Bank of Scotland branch is too far for me to walk to with my f***d knee and hip. 

Phoned daughter number one and asked her to remind me that when she visits next Friday to bring with me the cheque and you can kindly park close to a B of S branch.

"Have you the B of S App on your phone?" says daughter.

"Yes?" says I 

"Then you can scan the cheque into the App and don't have to visit.

So I open the App and low and behold one of the options is indeed scan in cheques. The App even provides an old farts visual demonstration.

Once I managed to stop my hand shaking whilst doing the scan it was dead simple.

I learned something new today. 😄

Well done.  I think it is years since I received a cheque.

• Haha 1