Favourite 70's Comedy TV shows.

Butch

Following the sad demise of Ian Lavender, the last remaining member of the main cast of the great British Sitcom "Dad's Army" ,I thought to ask BM's of their favourite 70's TV show. They can have run through to the 80's, but the criteria needs to be that they were on TV in the 70's, (so that rules out Police Squad for me!) the decade that we all remember in some way or another.

as I was quite young, I wasn't allowed to watch Monty Python and some other "edgy" stuff.

My Faves were:

Dad's Army

Fawlty Towers

Happy Days (although I think it had serious moments but was largely a comedy).

• Thumbs Up 1

From the end of the 70’ s mine was 

Not the nine o’clock news ,

not sure if it fits your criteria as it’s not a sitcom 

so I’ll add  another 

It ain’t half hot mum

• Thumbs Up 1

On American television, the 70's were a goldmine for classic comedies. A few of my favorites, still on tv today, were "All in the Family", "MASH", "Barney Miller", "The Jeffersons", "Happy Days" and the greatest comedy/variety show ever, "The Carol Burnett Show".

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Siam Addict said:

Not a Tv comedy but alot of the Carry on films were released in the 70's

My Uncle was an "extra" in one! - Carry on Camping iirc, I'll have a look on YT for the scene.

3 hours ago, Butch said:

Fawlty Towers

Of course I have to agree with this one because my chosen Fantasy Football team name comes from one of the opening clips where they rearrange the letters ...

2 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

"The Carol Burnett Show".

The elephant sketch still gets me pissing myself laughing today !!!

My own offer was going to be "Kevin Turvey" ... but I checked and that was early 80s...I'll carry on thinking !!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gs joe said:

Got me thinking of some that weren’t so good and some even had poorer spinoffs 

Like, ON The Buses can anybody remember the name of it’s spinoff 

Don’t Drink The Water.

Another rubbish one was the Porridge spin off called Going Straight.

• Thumbs Up 3

41 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Many years ago, in a previous life, I had to show this to a group of 16 year olds

They'd never seen the original... and found it much funnier  than the newer version. For the next few weeks they wanted to watch "old" humour...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I watched a lot of the shows mentioned above but the one I remember most was Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In. I watched this until it stopped in the early 70s; just watching Goldie Hawn was a good enough reason.

Nowadays it might not be so funny or relevant but back 50 years ago it was brilliant. Used to upset my dad which made me smile.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Krapow said:

And not a sitcom, but loved Dave Allen,

I was going to mention another Irish comedian ....... Dermot Morgan. Not because of Father Ted but with his time on RTE'S "The Live Mike" . I liked watching him during the time of The Hunger Strike riots (I rigged up a receiver in my room). There was one character he played that appeared up in the rafters in the dark dressed in black. His monologues were effing hilarious.

The show's open mockery of IRA rebel songs, the Catholic Church and religion in general really makes you wonder how he lived to do Father Ted !!

I didn't mention him before your post because my experience of him was in the early 80s .... Although he started on the show earlier in the late 70s ..

• Great Info 1