Recomended TV Programs to Watch from Live TV and Streaming Services (Threads Merged)

galenkia

7 hours ago, miko said:

Have you watched Tehran?

Read up a little on this. Sounds interesting, so I added it to my (getting lengthy) to try list. While reading up I noticed that Hugh Laurie (Dr. House) will be joining the cast for S03. Always good news.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just finished watching "A Small Light" an 8 part miniseries delivered by a combination of the National Geographic and ABC. I obtained it from IPT.

Very moving with an IMDB of 8.5.

This is about the bravery of the persons who tried to hide the Jews and also the Jews themselves that occurred in Amsterdam during WWII. A central theme is how the "Anne Frank Diary" came to be written and widely published. 

You might want to have your hankie in your shirt pocket for this one.

• Thanks 1

Hannibal, the series on Netflix. Whatched all episodes season one and two, now onto three.

Has become addictive. Not everyones cup.of tea, lots of corpses, murders and blood. But also great psycho drama. 

If you have seem the movies, a must to watch although minus Anthony Hopkins. 

Hannibal_season_1.png

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

10 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I just finished watching "A Small Light" an 8 part miniseries delivered by a combination of the National Geographic and ABC. I obtained it from IPT.

Very moving with an IMDB of 8.5.

This is about the bravery of the persons who tried to hide the Jews and also the Jews themselves that occurred in Amsterdam during WWII. A central theme is how the "Anne Frank Diary" came to be written and widely published. 

You might want to have your hankie in your shirt pocket for this one.

Right up my street.. 

Thanks for the recommendation..

10 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Hannibal, the series on Netflix. Whatched all episodes season one and two, now onto three.

Has become addictive. Not everyones cup.of tea, lots of corpses, murders and blood. But also great psycho drama. 

If you have seem the movies, a must to watch although minus Anthony Hopkins. 

Hannibal_season_1.png

Streamed all of it in 2020 when the pandemic hit. I love gore, but even I can’t believe this, and The Following with Kevin Bacon, we’re on primetime TV…..Pretty graphic

That being said, it was very good, Mikkelsen plays a great role

12 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Streamed all of it in 2020 when the pandemic hit. I love gore, but even I can’t believe this, and The Following with Kevin Bacon, we’re on primetime TV…..Pretty graphic

That being said, it was very good, Mikkelsen plays a great role

I watched "Hannibal" and recently started watching "The Following". I am a bit of a serial killer gore fan as well. That said both shows have somewhat predictable plots that I would often have on while doing something else. Like was said Mikkelsen was great in "Hannibal". I also thought that the Gillian Anderson (Xfiles) role was well done as well. Just getting started with "The Following". I am using it as an afternoon background watch so far.   

3 hours ago, Binlid said:

Watched Argentina 1985 last night on Amazon, wonderful acting and atmospheric, had me engrossed from the first scene to the closing credits.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Argentina-1985-Ricardo-Darín/dp/B0B8TM7RJ4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2G7VKI92CF3JY&keywords=argentina+1985&qid=1689397527&s=instant-video&sprefix=argentina%2Cinstant-video%2C96&sr=1-1

This movie could possibly hold the record for the most fags smoked during a movie.😄

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Binlid said:

This movie could possibly hold the record for the most fags smoked during a movie.😄

The TV series record clearly goes to Madmen which is entertaining to watch. The cast should have filed for hazardous duty pay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Men

I just finished S01. I was half expecting to flush it after a few episodes, but found it interesting instead. IMDB 8.7

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Watched this last year, was pretty good. But great news, looks like they have found the killer. Maybe the film renewed interest?

image.png

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/gilgo-beach-murders-long-island-serial-killer-suspect-arrest-new-york/

I was glad to read that it appears that the SOB has finally been found out. The article read like they have him on DNA evidence.

On 7/12/2023 at 12:12 AM, Sherlock said:

Found a great series called The bear. About chefs in the U.S.

Well worth a watch. Its a drama show, not a documentary!

THE_BEAR_TRAILER_©FOX_NETWORKS (1).jpg.webp

I absolutely agree. A must see, particularly if one has a Chicago tie.

Jeremy Allen White (Lip from the US version of Shameless) is really good. The rest of the cast, although I did not recognize any names, are solid as well. I recently eagerly downloaded S02 from IPT. I have it queued, but have not started watching it just yet.

S01 had 30 minute episodes as I recall. I S02 seems to be the same. White appears to have some cooking chops, or maybe they fooled me with a body double.

They not only capture the restaurant scene, but they do a good job of presenting the Chicago Blue Collar culture which I grew up in.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rajs123 said:

Watching a series called "Bosch" on Freevee via Amazon Prime. I am quite impressed 🙂 Others may disagree.

I certainly do not disagree (hmm - double negative on my part). Bosch is a great LA detective TV series. It ran for 7 seasons with an IMDB of 8.5. There is a sequel show called "Bosch Legacy". Also has an IMDB of 8.5. S01 is available on IPT and S02 was scheduled to begin this Fall, but the Hollywood Writers/Actors Strike will likely delay that date. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 11:45 PM, ChiFlyer said:

White appears to have some cooking chops, or maybe they fooled me with a body double.

Actually, it appears that White does indeed have some recently acquired cooking chops and those are not body double scenes. From an article that I read today ->

He learned how to cook for The Bear

To prepare for the role, White, who previously had no interest in cooking, studied at the Institute of Culinary Education in Pasadena, reported USA Today. He also trained at restaurants such as Republique and Pasjoli, eventually cooking food actually being served to customers.

That reads like near De Niro level acting dedication.