Post a pic of your breakfast/lunch/dinner

Sangsom

Yesterday's lunch at my usual spot near the beach 

20190623_125753-768x1024.jpg

Avocado and shrimp salad

20190623_131859-768x1024.jpg

Vlees kroketten, our Dutch BM will recognize ? Legacy of the Dutch presence here in the past. They tasted pretty good,although they looked a bit lost alone on that plate ....

20190623_133224-1024x768.jpg

And, @galenkia you're stronger than me...I couldn't resist 2 Jim Beam coke as dessert....😂😂

IMG-20190623-WA0030-768x1365.jpeg

Needless to say the 2 Rosé and 2 whisky represented 75% of the bill...😱😱😱

• Like 1

15 hours ago, galenkia said:

I always look out for reduced stuff as well.Most sell by dates are within safe eating time.Only thing i am careful with is shellfish.They can make you real sick if they are off.

We used to know a woman who worked in Marks & Sparks,their staff could buy out of date stuff very cheap.Just need to use a bit of common.

14 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Dates are mainly set on "taste" reason, i.e. the manufacturer thinks that after a certain date the product will loose a bit of its perfect taste, and hence will give it a bad reputation. Then there is the excessive safety thing. Then the commercial thing, when a product in your fridge arrives at expiry date you tend to rush to consume it....and then buy another one.

Personally except for.very sensitive stuff, I often consume past date stuff.  Note that the way you keep it (refrigerated) plays a very important role.

But, look at eggs in the west. Packed, kept cool, with an expiry date. Look how eggs are kept and sold in developing countries. Here, bought by the kilo, kept in open air, no expiry date. I still keep them in the fridge but don't worry about dates.

In the UK, there is (or was) at least two categories.  "Best Before" which was taste related, and "Use By" which was safety.  I agree both are overdone by the suppliers.

Regarding eggs, it's not a developing country thing, it's the way they are processed (cleaned or not I think) and whether salmonella is a risk.  The USA and Japan wash them whereas Europe doesn't.  Europe mostly doesn't require refigeration (although I think most folk do it anyway) so in line with Thailand etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golfingboy said:

Reminds me of a jambalaya I used to buy in a box, think brand name is Zatarain’s. Quick meal, and you can add more meat as you see fit

The beef curry is in a tin from a local supermarket and the rice is microwaved, heated through you are looking at a nice plate of grub in 3 minutes.

3 minutes ago, boydeste said:

The beef curry is in a tin from a local supermarket and the rice is microwaved, heated through you are looking at a nice plate of grub in 3 minutes.

And that’s the bottom line. I’ve started cooking more in my old age, and enjoy it very much. But after watching some bird’s YouTube video, I refuse to make a lasagna, just no way. Probably $30 of stuff goes into a proper one, plus prep time....not worth it IMO. I’ll stick to my Thai curries and meaty stovetop pastas

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

And that’s the bottom line. I’ve started cooking more in my old age, and enjoy it very much. But after watching some bird’s YouTube video, I refuse to make a lasagna, just no way. Probably $30 of stuff goes into a proper one, plus prep time....not worth it IMO. I’ll stick to my Thai curries and meaty stovetop pastas

That was my thoughts yesterday with the roast dinner at the pub, it cost me £10.95, no way would I buy those quality ingredients and cook it for that sort of money.

Edited by boydeste

4 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Lasagne is easy , I use the lasagne sheets and I'm guessing the ingredients will make enough for several meals , just freeze the leftover meat sauce in smaller portions to use another time 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, boydeste said:

I buy the Sainsburys tins and rice.Cost just over £2 for them both.

I like to add half a pepper and onion and a couple of cloves garlic and a couple of chilli's.Fills it out and perks it up a bit.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, galenkia said:

I buy the Sainsburys tins and rice.Cost just over £2 for them both.

I like to add half a pepper and onion and a couple of cloves garlic and a couple of chilli's.Fills it out and perks it up a bit.

This was from Tescos with Uncle Bens rice, pretty decent as it is but I like your idea of pepping it up.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Lasagne is easy , I use the lasagne sheets and I'm guessing the ingredients will make enough for several meals , just freeze the leftover meat sauce in smaller portions to use another time 

Got to agree, here's a picture from a while back of one I made - probably enough for 3 or 4 portions - and ingredients probably cost around £6.00 GBP (234 THB, $7.64 USD).  Sauce for meat and topping out of jars, but still tasty.

lasagne 2.jpg

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, KWA said:

Got to agree, here's a picture from a while back of one I made - probably enough for 3 or 4 portions - and ingredients probably cost around £6.00 GBP (234 THB, $7.64 USD).  Sauce for meat and topping out of jars, but still tasty.

lasagne 2.jpg

Looks awesome.

5 hours ago, KWA said:

lasagne 2.jpg

Often make similar from scratch....but I cook it in a square dish as I find it easier to cut onto portions and freeze. In theory I eat one portion and freeze 3.... in practice, however...!!

• Haha 2