Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

RIP

His guitar solo in "I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You" is nearly perfect IMO:  Melodically accurate and complimentary, advances the song without taking it over, technically skillful but not overblown.  A 20 second masterpiece.

Edited by Rompho Ray

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Read he was in hospital the other day.

RIP

Very sad, a comic genius. I went to see his last UK performance at the London Palladium a few years ago and the show was brilliant. Sir Les Patterson being my favourite character . That said, 89 not a bad age to live to. His performances will last for years, I am sure and hope that TV companies pay tribute by airing some of his best performances, like the Michael Parkinson interview as Sir Les. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/9/2023 at 3:00 AM, Glasseye said:

I never get tired of this song. Or, any of their songs for that matter.

That opening riff is still, to me, the greatest pre-game introduction music in team sports. When the Chicago Bulls arena went dark and the laser lights started fanning throughout the crowd accompanied by this riff just before the Bulls players were introduced, you couldn't help but get hyped, even sitting at home, for the opening tip off between the Bulls and whoever, especially a playoff game during the Jordan era.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

That opening riff is still, to me, the greatest pre-game introduction music in team sports. When the Chicago Bulls arena went dark and the laser lights started fanning throughout the crowd accompanied by this riff just before the Bulls players were introduced, you couldn't help but get hyped, even sitting at home, for the opening tip off between the Bulls and whoever, especially a playoff game during the Jordan era.

Yes ! 

I hadn't even thought of that buddy. 

Can't even count the number of times watching that intro back in the day. It would get you pumped every time ! And I'm talking on T.V.

Some really great times back then. It'll never be the same.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2023 at 2:04 PM, Nightcrawler said:

Very sad, a comic genius. I went to see his last UK performance at the London Palladium a few years ago and the show was brilliant. Sir Les Patterson being my favourite character . That said, 89 not a bad age to live to. His performances will last for years, I am sure and hope that TV companies pay tribute by airing some of his best performances, like the Michael Parkinson interview as Sir Les. 

Saw him talking to Rick Stien on his program about Cornwall the other day. He was recounting how he fell down the cliff face they were standing above and luckily survived the fall. 
I liked his humour and like you, Sir Les was my favourite character. 🤗

• Like 2

On 4/26/2023 at 9:23 AM, KhunDon said:

Saw him talking to Rick Stien on his program about Cornwall the other day. He was recounting how he fell down the cliff face they were standing above and luckily survived the fall. 
I liked his humour and like you, Sir Les was my favourite character. 🤗

I’ve watched that one - funny 

off topic- much as I want to dislike Rick stein, his food and coastal settings, travels overseas make for such good viewing.grr

• Thumbs Up 1

RIP Jerry - I was never one for watching much TV at home  but used to see the show sometimes when I was on road trips and thought it was hilarious - I often wondered where they found some of those people but I'm sure they had no shortage of applicants, every American wants their fifteen minutes of fame and most don't care what they have to do to achieve it. 

• Like 2

In the early ‘70s, Jerry was on the Cincinnati city council but he resigned due to a prostitution scandal in which he admitted to paying for sex with two personal checks. He achieved a political comeback afterwards by being re-elected to the city council and then as mayor for one term.