Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

On 3/5/2023 at 9:29 PM, Yessongs said:

Dam.....just got a text from my buddy back in Calif....say goodbye to Gary Rossington. One of the all time great songs.....man he could play that Les Paul. Saw them in 1977....RIP. 

https://apnews.com/article/lynyrd-skynyrd-guitarist-gary-rossington-died-4c8974380d034e916a39fbf50c606387

Had the pleasure of seeing them 3 times, twice in the 90's and once in the early 2000's. On that last concert, they opened for ZZ Top and played about an hour, squeezing in as many of their classics as they could in the limited time.  So many of their songs stretched out for 6-8 minutes, so as to let their musicianship shine during extended solos. And Gary Rossington definitely shined as bright as any guitarist I've ever seen on stage.

He was the last of the original members to pass on. But in reading his obit, the man battled all kinds of health problems, including heart attacks, that it's a wonder he made it into his 70's.

In a strange bit of irony, I believe they were going to be touring this summer and their opener was going to be none other than.....ZZ Top.

RIP.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Saw them on the 'Old Grey Whistle Test' back in 1975. It was the day that turned me on to them, I thought (as a 20 year old) that they were amazing and loved them ever since. Sad news, too many of my heroes are taking the exit door. RIP

I've got all the OGWT CD's & DVD's,some rare & brilliant stuff on them.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Yessongs said:

@GlasseyeOne of my favorites.....dam these guys were good!  

Yep !    Man that song rocks. Love the driving guitars and vocals on that.

.38 Special was another really good Southern rock band. Saw them once (probably around 2000) in an airport hanger, Rantoul Illinois. I couldn't believe how closely they sounded compared to their recorded stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/11/2023 at 6:54 AM, Aqualung said:

Skynard and 38 special were great. Bit of a shout for 2 of my favourite Southern rock bands... Blackfoot and Molly Hatchet. 

Yep. "Dreams I'll Never See"    What a great one.

• Like 2

Nobody (IMO) can touch the Allman Brothers of course. But, The Marshall Tucker Band came in a close second for Southern Rock music....

A great live version of "Can't You See"...

*** That lead singer has got some friggen pipes. Their vocals were always great.

Then there was Pure Prairie League. "Amie"         Harmonic masterpiece.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Nobody (IMO) can touch the Allman Brothers of course. But, The Marshall Tucker Band came in a close second for Southern Rock music....

A great live version of "Can't You See"...

*** That lead singer has got some friggen pipes. Their vocals were always great.

Then there was Pure Prairie League. "Amie"         Harmonic masterpiece.

Unfortunately, the Marshall Tucker Band would lose brothers Tommy and Toy Caldwell, Tommy in 1980 from an auto accident in Spartanburg, SC and Toy from cocaine in '93. Toy is the guy with those great vocals singing "Can't You See" in that video.

12 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Unfortunately, the Marshall Tucker Band would lose brothers Tommy and Toy Caldwell, Tommy in 1980 from an auto accident in Spartanburg, SC and Toy from cocaine in '93. Toy is the guy with those great vocals singing "Can't You See" in that video.

Kind of reminds you what the Allman Brothers went through. Devastating.

• Sad 1

Masatoshi Ito, Japanese billionaire behind the rise of 7-Eleven, dies at 98

Ito is the post-war entrepreneur credited for making it a global brand that sells everything from yoghurt to ready-made meals and medicine, through a series of acquisitions and expansions between the 1970s and 1990s.
According to state broadcaster NHK, Ito got his start in 1958, when he became the president of a small apparel store in Tokyo that was run by his family.

He later stared selling food and other daily necessities. He renamed the company Ito Yokado and started running the business like a US supermarket.

Ito Yokado later forged a deal with 7-Eleven’s owner, the Southland Corporation, and opened Japan’s first 7-Eleven in Tokyo in 1974.

His firm then acquired a controlling stake in Southland in March 1991. A year later Ito resigned as president of Ito Yokado “to take responsibility for alleged payoffs to racketeers by company officials,” according to NHK.

Ito Yokado was renamed Seven & I Holdings in 2005, and Ito remained its honorary chairman until his death.

Looking back at 7-Eleven’s success, Ito was quoted as saying in the 1988 interview: “I am frequently asked if I succeeded because of hard work or because I was just lucky. The answer is some of both.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Masatoshi Ito, Japanese billionaire behind the rise of 7-Eleven, dies at 98

Ito is the post-war entrepreneur credited for making it a global brand that sells everything from yoghurt to ready-made meals and medicine, through a series of acquisitions and expansions between the 1970s and 1990s.
According to state broadcaster NHK, Ito got his start in 1958, when he became the president of a small apparel store in Tokyo that was run by his family.

He later stared selling food and other daily necessities. He renamed the company Ito Yokado and started running the business like a US supermarket.

Ito Yokado later forged a deal with 7-Eleven’s owner, the Southland Corporation, and opened Japan’s first 7-Eleven in Tokyo in 1974.

His firm then acquired a controlling stake in Southland in March 1991. A year later Ito resigned as president of Ito Yokado “to take responsibility for alleged payoffs to racketeers by company officials,” according to NHK.

Ito Yokado was renamed Seven & I Holdings in 2005, and Ito remained its honorary chairman until his death.

Looking back at 7-Eleven’s success, Ito was quoted as saying in the 1988 interview: “I am frequently asked if I succeeded because of hard work or because I was just lucky. The answer is some of both.”

https://www.forbes.com/real-time-billionaires/#459e91433d78

Yep, these billionaires have a heck of a hard time making it over 100.....Really over 95 for that matter...