Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

One of the advance stages of diabetes is cuts/wounds do not heal especially on the legs due to poor blood circulation. That's why so many diabetics have amputations to prevent the onset of sepsis. Another strike against living in Thailand if your diabetic.

• Great Info 3

Interesting character...on & off the screen...

"the action is the juice"

Tom Sizemore, 'Saving Private Ryan' actor, dies at 61

https://www.sfchronicle.com/entertainment/article/tom-sizemore-saving-private-ryan-actor-dies-17819362.php

“I’ve led an interesting life, but I can’t tell you what I’d give to be the guy you didn’t know anything about,” Sizemore wrote in his memoir.

Edited by lazarus
sad
  • Sad 4

I thought i just saw Tom Sizemore in Legends of the Fall but seems not (i was looking at the bootleg scenes but no mention in the credits). I see reviews saying this movie is sentimental old tosh, but i like it. The clue is in the title "Legends..." not to be mistaken for a simple retelling of a story, more sweeping.

Sorry slipped off topic

15 hours ago, maipenrai said:

RIP to stringed instrument musician, artist and session man extraordinaire - David Lindley; this man could play just about any stringed instrument well and played with many of the big names in his day - just listen to his slide guitar on Jackson Browne's "Running on Empty" to hear his genius:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lindley_(musician

016CB677-E108-471B-92E4-615C1EE9A16D.jpeg

From the RIGHT:Jackson Browne, Joe Walsh, Dan Fogelberg, Randy Meisner, Jerry Brown (Governor of California), and Linda Ronstadt's boyfriend at the time, Glen Frey, Don Felder, Don Henley, who was also Ronstadt's boyfriend, and is seen raising Linda's dress, and esteemed California guitarist, David Lindley , who is best known for giving Jackson Browne songs their trademark shimmering guitar sound.
(listen to "Running On Empty" for an example)
This picture is mainly Linda Ronstadt and her backup band, the Eagles, who went on to some fame themselves! 😉
(copied from FB)

• Great Info 3

32 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

Dam.....just got a text from my buddy back in Calif....say goodbye to Gary Rossington. One of the all time great songs.....man he could play that Les Paul. Saw them in 1977....RIP. 

https://apnews.com/article/lynyrd-skynyrd-guitarist-gary-rossington-died-4c8974380d034e916a39fbf50c606387

That's a fabulous song and great video . . 

Very sad.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/5/2023 at 4:31 PM, maipenrai said:

RIP to stringed instrument musician, artist and session man extraordinaire - David Lindley; this man could play just about any stringed instrument well and played with many of the big names in his day - just listen to his slide guitar on Jackson Browne's "Running on Empty" to hear his genius:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lindley_(musician)

Oh, dear Buddha that hurts. One of my all time favorite guirtarists. He is the sound behind what made Jackson Browne so great. This guy has brought me to tears with his greatest since I was 13. 

Thanks for posting this, although it is awful news. A mountain of a musician. 

19 hours ago, Britboy said:

That's a fabulous song and great video . . 

Very sad.

Just curious, Lynyrd Skynyrd was popular in the UK back in the day or not?  Not sure " southern rock" would be popular over there?  As I look back on some of their tour schedules, it appears they played quite a few shows in Europe over the years. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Just curious, Lynyrd Skynyrd was popular in the UK back in the day or not?  Not sure " southern rock" would be popular over there?  As I look back on some of their tour schedules, it appears they played quite a few shows in Europe over the years. 

I wouldn't say over popular, but yes, people liked them, especially when Sweet Home Alabama was released.

As you mention, "southern rock" is somewhat different to what the Brits were into at that time. There's definitely a touch of "country" about them, but many songs are just so melodic, great guitar work and Van Zant has a brilliant voice. He's effortless but expressive. He has real charisma too, a superb front man.

Simple Man, for me, is just a brilliant track and that version you posted with them playing it live is really enjoyable.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Always loved Blackfoot. Saw them first in 1980, they were supporting Scorpions at Hammersmith Odeon.

Great live band. Ricky Medlocke has been with Skynyrd since 1996.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Yessongs said:

I saw them twice in the UK,but in the 90's after the plane crash.

Both times brilliant.

Not sure if I'd even heard of them in the 70's but I am sure I would've loved their music.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Saw them on the 'Old Grey Whistle Test' back in 1975. It was the day that turned me on to them, I thought (as a 20 year old) that they were amazing and loved them ever since. Sad news, too many of my heroes are taking the exit door. RIP

• Thumbs Up 2