Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

12 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Bummer.... 

I recently posted this tune....

Yea well.....If you grew up in the 70s.....They played this song to death on the radio....I bet I have heard it 10 million zillion times in my life, when I was a teen....Ugg....In the 70s you had to listen to what the rock radio stations played endlessly....

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fforest said:

Yea well.....If you grew up in the 70s.....They played this song to death on the radio....I bet I have heard it 10 million zillion times in my life, when I was a teen....Ugg....In the 70s you had to listen to what the radio rock stations played endlessly....

That and many others. Still enjoy most of them.

44 minutes ago, fforest said:

Yea well.....If you grew up in the 70s.....They played this song to death on the radio....I bet I have heard it 10 million zillion times in my life, when I was a teen....Ugg....In the 70s you had to listen to what the rock radio stations played endlessly....

In the 70s you went to rock concerts to see the bands you loved, I spent every week in concert halls, pub back rooms and college halls. I didn't listen to a lot of radio.

Word of mouth, Melody maker and NME gave me what I needed, that and a poster on a pub wall or public fence. Great times.

The music you mentioned was mainly on the TV like, top of the pops, Old Grey Whistle Test, which were always watched to see the latest hit bands.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Gordon Lightfoot gone at 84

I always liked his music...

The Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot, best known for folk-pop hits such as If You Could Read My Mind and The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, has died at the age of 84,

Edited by fforest

8 hours ago, fforest said:

I always liked his music...

The Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot, best known for folk-pop hits such as If You Could Read My Mind and The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, has died at the age of 84,

Must have been quite sudden, he was planning on doing many more shows

image.png

15 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Gordon Lightfoot gone at 84

RIP indeed - very talented songwriter and performer. My guitar-playing older brother was a big fan way back when and bought all of his earlier records so I listened to them a lot myself and grew to love Lightfoot's style - I think the one song that really impressed me above all was "The Canadian Railroad Trilogy", a real masterpiece. 

On a side note, Lightfoot had a very talented accompanist as well on those earlier records between 1965 and 1975, another Canadian named Red Shea who was responsible for a big part of Lightfoot's sound - all of the intricate finger-picking you hear on Lightfoot's recordings was Shea's work and he was very well regarded by the Canadian musical community although virtually unknown to the general public; he passed away in 2008.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Thats a shame,I've got a couple of her LPs I bought years ago. She always looked very young for her age. 

I am getting worried these days, as the majority of artists in my record collection are now dead, and I'll probably be next.... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Surprised 1

1 hour ago, Nightcrawler said:

Thats a shame,I've got a couple of her LPs I bought years ago. She always looked very young for her age. 

I am getting worried these days, as the majority of artists in my record collection are now dead, and I'll probably be next.... 

I know the feeling well mate!

He was a good guy and helped countless people with visa problems.....
He was superhuman to do this for so long....

To say he was a legend is an understatement...
RIP....

IMG_0774.jpeg

Ubon Joe who passed away 3 days ago.
Visa Moderator/advisor at ASEAN NOW Forum,

truly a legend and a great friend. ❤️

It is with deep regret that we have to announce the death of our very good friend and moderator Ubon Joe following a short illness.

Joe Reedy, 73, a dedicated individual and beloved moderator, passed away in Ubon Ratchathani, leaving behind a lasting impact on the lives he touched.  Among his many services, Joe served as an expert on visa issues for aseannow.com.   He joined the forum in 2008.

Edited by fforest
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 3

On 5/2/2023 at 5:55 PM, maipenrai said:

RIP indeed - very talented songwriter and performer. My guitar-playing older brother was a big fan way back when and bought all of his earlier records so I listened to them a lot myself and grew to love Lightfoot's style - I think the one song that really impressed me above all was "The Canadian Railroad Trilogy", a real masterpiece. 

On a side note, Lightfoot had a very talented accompanist as well on those earlier records between 1965 and 1975, another Canadian named Red Shea who was responsible for a big part of Lightfoot's sound - all of the intricate finger-picking you hear on Lightfoot's recordings was Shea's work and he was very well regarded by the Canadian musical community although virtually unknown to the general public; he passed away in 2008.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 3