Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

37 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

https://apnews.com/article/nfl-jim-brown-03d88c7da08840a0921ae8d8dd0a6aaa

Pro Football Hall of Famer Jim Brown, the unstoppable running back who retired at the peak of his brilliant career to become an actor as well as a prominent civil rights advocate during the 1960s, has died. He was 87.

must admit I only knew him from the Dirty Dozen film ..

He played way before I was born, but Many experts still think he’s the greatest player in NFL history. Retired very young and had the rushing yards record 20+ years until Walter Payton broke it.

He was Pacino’s assistant defensive coach in Any Given Sunday, great flick. The only other role I remember was one of the gladiators trying to kill Arnold in The Running Man

Edited by Golfingboy

13 hours ago, Krapow said:

Yes, superb, RIP Andy Rourke.

He helped give The Smiths their unique 'sound'

I have never heard of this band, maybe the next generation after mine but it is always sad when somebody, who has had an influence on countless people, passes away. Very sad.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I have never heard of this band, maybe the next generation after mine but it is always sad when somebody, who has had an influence on countless people, passes away. Very sad.

Think Leonard Cohen but with Andy Rourke backing .. Not a perfect analogy but a reasonable starting point !!

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Horizondave said:

You've never heard of The Smiths or Morrissey? 

They were huge back in the day, as much for their views on certain stuff as their music.

3 hours ago, Krapow said:

You've never heard of The Smiths or Morrissey? 

They were huge back in the day, as much for their views on certain stuff as their music.

I have heard of Morrissey but wouldn't have a clue about his music and what band he was in, thought he was a solo singer. Certainly not interested in his views.

All the bands I ever watched are mostly from the 70s and I was only interested in their music, the views of any of those I watched were probably only sensible to those high on drugs.

I never got into any bands that first emerged in the 80s, although I believe Duran Duran were of that era and I only really know them because a girl I dated from Hertz at Heathrow Terminal 2 in the early 80s had Simon Le Bon as her boyfriend before me. I had to look him up to find out about her ex. 

I was right into the bands that emerged late 60s and early 70s. I do though remember dancing to many pop songs in the 80s but doubt the Smiths were one of them. 

Just a different generation and a different musical preference. 

Sad that a lot of these guys dying are youngsters especially as their obvious talent has been recognised in a positive way by their legions of followers.

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

I have heard of Morrissey but wouldn't have a clue about his music and what band he was in, thought he was a solo singer. Certainly not interested in his views.

All the bands I ever watched are mostly from the 70s and I was only interested in their music, the views of any of those I watched were probably only sensible to those high on drugs.

I never got into any bands that first emerged in the 80s, although I believe Duran Duran were of that era and I only really know them because a girl I dated from Hertz at Heathrow Terminal 2 in the early 80s had Simon Le Bon as her boyfriend before me. I had to look him up to find out about her ex. 

I was right into the bands that emerged late 60s and early 70s. I do though remember dancing to many pop songs in the 80s but doubt the Smiths were one of them. 

Just a different generation and a different musical preference. 

Sad that a lot of these guys dying are youngsters especially as their obvious talent has been recognised in a positive way by their legions of followers.

Yes, I wouldn't have been a big fan of their views back then. Though I do find it pretty funny that those 'right on' folks who were, are now outraged by Morrissey's current views.

That said I did like their music and had plenty of their vinyl.

Liked and do like mostly everything ex Smiths Johnny Marr gets involved in as well. 

• Thumbs Up 2

49 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Sad to hear. Way too young. Really enjoyed him in the Rome series as Titus Pullo.

I would not have heard of him if you had not mentioned "Titus Pullo" and the Rome series.

What a really good series that was and I can visualize him in it now. He came back from a campaign somewhere and his wife had to hide the sprog she dropped in his absence. 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jambo said:

I would not have heard of him if you had not mentioned "Titus Pullo" and the Rome series.

What a really good series that was and I can visualize him in it now. He came back from a campaign somewhere and his wife had to hide the sprog she dropped in his absence. 🙂

Stole the show in Rome and also in Dexter 

48 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Good fucking riddance.

Lucky prick lived to 93……we have had a few Catholic priests in the news in Quebec, getting arrested and charged for same thing  in their 80’s & 90’s. Better late than never I guess, just wish justice came sooner for these monsters

• Thumbs Up 3