COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

30 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

A very well written opinion piece. A number of very good questions in the article. None that will probably ever be answered.

I'm starting to see "blowback" from the ordinary TH folks. This was on a cutie's IG page today...

Capturenn.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

I'm starting to see "blowback" from the ordinary TH folks. This was on a cutie's IG page today...

Capturenn.JPG

From the article,

As the virus runs its course and more vaccines make their way to Thailand, it would not be surprising if the coronavirus pandemic ends up being a powerful catalyst for the kinds of changes and reforms that are overdue in Thailand.

• Like 1

I ran for my man cave yesterday when one of wifey's friends called her. I mean seriously, I know when to get out of there LOL!  When the veins start popping out in her neck, and her relatively calm voice sounds like being at a " Courtney Love" concert....it is time to leave. 

I feel for her, I know she and many others are extremely upset and all seeing her country go to shit like this and the PM ( whom amongst her and her friends generally like) watch him flounder with this is not good. Her Brother tells her that in Minburi ( where we live) infections are high and people are really afraid now. Pathetic to say the least that Thailand has to be like this. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

A word of caution for anyone thinking of travelling to Thailand from the UK.

With a very large percentage of the adult population now fully vaccinated, the policy of the UK government seems to be that they are not going to be concerned about the number of people who have Covid-19, only about the number who are hospitalised or die. So, with many restrictions already lifted, with more to come on the 19th, an ever larger proportion of the population will be infected with Covid-19. 

Furthermore, the symptoms (if any) of having Covid-19 after being doubly vaccinated are very similar to having a common cold - e.g. no longer is it usual to have a fever. (https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/new-top-5-covid-symptoms#part_1)

So we now have the situation that there is quite a good chance that any one of us could have Covid-19 and not suspect it. Suppose we set about travelling to Thailand. There is a much increased risk that we will fail one of the several Covid-19 tests that the Thais will require of us, and then have to suffer the consequences of that.

• Like 3

It sounds like the Thai medical establishment has just about given up.

"...the top priority now is not to protect those who are not infected or to prevent the infected from spreading the disease, as it was when infections were not widespread, but is now about the management of hospital beds, intensive care units in particular, and of human resources to take care of patients."

https://aseannow.com/topic/1222775-cra-proposes-review-of-hospital-bed-management-and-medics-as-top-priority/?do=findComment&comment=16623455

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

"...the top priority now is not to protect those who are not infected or to prevent the infected from spreading the disease, as it was when infections were not widespread, but is now about the management of hospital beds, intensive care units in particular, and of human resources to take care of patients."

https://aseannow.com/topic/1222775-cra-proposes-review-of-hospital-bed-management-and-medics-as-top-priority/?do=findComment&comment=16623455

We need a lunacy emoji for plans like the one you quoted.

The focus should be on getting as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible. They do that and the hospital bed issue will resolve itself. The UK is a good example of that happening.

Covid: Infections rising, but vaccines saving lives

_119174912_hospital_admissions_facet_1jul-nc.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Sounds like the strategy in the US until more sensible heads (and the vaccine) prevailed.

In the meantime over 600,000+ have died.

Still not out of the woods yet in the US as over 30% of adults in the US are shunning the vaccine and the Delta variant is running wild.

2 hours ago, Yessongs said:

It is amazing to me that some people are still hard headed Matt.  This woman paid the ultimate price for her stupidity.

https://news.yahoo.com/missouri-woman-didnt-want-covid-144312388.html

Yeah...the long story is really sad, too. No family should have to grapple with such an easily preventable loss.

https://www.wreg.com/news/family-mourns-45-year-old-mother-who-died-from-delta-variant-after-refusing-vaccine/

If certain US cultural "influencers" (e.g., Fox News, Evangelicals, pro-lifer groups, black churches, the the tik tok crowd) would get onboard the vaxx-train this type of tragedy would not be repeated over & over. IMO, the US is a long way from being out of the Covid woods. Fortunately, vaccinated and living in the Bay Area is about as low risk as it goes anywhere now.

. . .

Thailand is different.

I don't read about many Thai people being anti-vaxx. If the gov't had the supply people would get it and get on with it.  Yet, there are a lot of migrant undocumented folks working in Thailand and it's doubtful the Thai gov't will give the vaxx for free to a revolving door of Cambodians, Burmese, Laotians and Chinese.

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 1

Thailand, Indonesia consider booster jab amid Sinovac doubts

Singapore | Countries that have relied upon the vaccine developed by China’s Sinovac are moving
to alternative vaccines and considering booster shots in a bid to protect health workers from more
contagious variants of the virus that causes COVID-19.

Thailand’s government has confirmed the veracity of a leaked document revealing that a committee
last week discussed a third shot. In Indonesia, where 10 doctors who had received two doses of
Sinovac are among the thousands of COVID-19 deaths in recent weeks, the government is not yet
willing to reveal its plans.

https://www.afr.com/world/asia/thailand-indonesia-consider-booster-jab-amid-sinovac-doubts-20210705-p5873p

In Thailand, the health ministry is considering giving the Pfizer vaccine to health workers who have
already been vaccinated with Sinovac. However, officials debating this course of action at a
committee meeting last week were worried that doing so would be a tacit admission that Sinovac
was not effective.

“If we [take this decision], it would be like admitting that Sinovac doesn’t offer any protection and
it would make it difficult for us to come up with excuses,” said one person at the meeting, according
to the leaked document published by the Thai Enquirer.

Edited by fygjam

16 hours ago, lazarus said:

...... Yet, there are a lot of migrant undocumented folks working in Thailand and it's doubtful the Thai gov't will give the vaxx for free to a revolving door of Cambodians, Burmese, Laotians and Chinese.

I can't see any of the undocumented/illegals coming forward for the vaccine, anyway, for fear of being identified, arrested and deported.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

2 hours ago, cosceguinhas said:

I can't see any of the undocumented/illegals coming forward for the vaccine, anyway, for fear of being identified, arrested and deported.

Makes it a double whammy as how will the ever get a handle on it w/o vaccinating migrant workers?

In the US they'll give it to anyone...no questions asked.

5 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Makes it a double whammy as how will the ever get a handle on it w/o vaccinating migrant workers?

Exactly.  The present system of registration is likely to create a permsnent pool of infection and generate new varianth because those who do get sick will try to tough it out at home. Worst case scenario, of course, but....

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

Same as in the UK now, you can give as much or as little info as you like, just turn up, you'll get vaccinated. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, lazarus said:

11 hours ago, Krapow said:

Same as in the UK now, you can give as much or as little info as you like, just turn up, you'll get vaccinated. 

I take your point gents but there is a subtle difference, the USA and UK have a plentiful supply of vaccine available, perhaps when Thailand is in the same position there attitude will change.

But i won't be holding my breath lol

• Thanks 1

I follow posts on Quora. Have just seen this ;-

Israel is not “throwing away a million vaccines”, not yet, anyway.

There are around 800,000 doses that officially expire at the end of July, 2021 at Israel’s disposal. Despite all their complaints to anyone who would listen about Israel not helping them the PA refused to accept these doses.

Since then, the Israeli government is looking for any country willing to accept them. Hopefully, there will be takers.

Are there any Israeli's here ? or anyone with good contacts in Israel ? ?

Must admit that I don't follow International politics, so could be talking out of my ass here; BUT, I'd be prepared to fly to Israel, accept a vaccine, then fly back and suffer the mandated 2 week quarantine in Bangkok ( if I couldn't get into the Phuket "Sandbox" ). Got to be better than waiting until ( probably ) next year waiting my turn to get one here . . .

23 minutes ago, Proffesor said:

I follow posts on Quora. Have just seen this ;-

Israel is not “throwing away a million vaccines”, not yet, anyway.

There are around 800,000 doses that officially expire at the end of July, 2021 at Israel’s disposal. Despite all their complaints to anyone who would listen about Israel not helping them the PA refused to accept these doses.

Since then, the Israeli government is looking for any country willing to accept them. Hopefully, there will be takers.

Are there any Israeli's here ? or anyone with good contacts in Israel ? ?

Must admit that I don't follow International politics, so could be talking out of my ass here; BUT, I'd be prepared to fly to Israel, accept a vaccine, then fly back and suffer the mandated 2 week quarantine in Bangkok ( if I couldn't get into the Phuket "Sandbox" ). Got to be better than waiting until ( probably ) next year waiting my turn to get one here . . .

Israel shipped them as a "loan" to S. Korea.

S. Korea will replace them sometime later.

Some dude (tourist), from the UAE, that came in under the "Phuket Sandbox" scheme with a tour group has already tested positive for Covid-19. He and the rest of his group have been placed in 14 day quarantine. There goes that holiday down the toilet.    :default_1092:

Edited by Glasseye
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Some dude (tourist), from the UAE, that came in under the "Phuket Sandbox" scheme with a tour group has already tested positive for Covid-19.

Oh gee, colour me surprised.

18 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Some dude (tourist), from the UAE, that came in under the "Phuket Sandbox" scheme with a tour group has already tested positive for Covid-19. He and the rest of his group have been placed in 14 day quarantine. There goes that holiday down the toilet.    :default_1092:

So the system works!