COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

Not good news. I expect it's going to get a lot worse before the situation gets better here.

Health system in crisis, critics tell government

Ambulance service overstretched, bodies left lying in streets

Critics accused the government of allowing public health services to collapse after three people were found dead on Bangkok streets, one infected with Covid-19 and left lying on the road for many hours before an ambulance finally arrived.

The infected man collapsed in the morning and later died as rescuers tried to revive him. He lay on the road for 12 hours.

Tests later found he was infected with Covid-19, metropolitan police confirmed on Wednesday afternoon. He had no identification on him.

• Sad 6

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Not good news. I expect it's going to get a lot worse before the situation gets better here.

Health system in crisis, critics tell government

Ambulance service overstretched, bodies left lying in streets

Critics accused the government of allowing public health services to collapse after three people were found dead on Bangkok streets, one infected with Covid-19 and left lying on the road for many hours before an ambulance finally arrived.

The infected man collapsed in the morning and later died as rescuers tried to revive him. He lay on the road for 12 hours.

Tests later found he was infected with Covid-19, metropolitan police confirmed on Wednesday afternoon. He had no identification on him.

The comments section of that article alone makes interesting reading.

We saw the same thing reported from Wuhan at the start, from covert sources.

Thailand will remain stagnant or get worse unless or until there is an effective, organised and documented Vaccination system in place, doing what the UK has done, targeting specific demographics in a phased plan.

As for mixing the vaccines?, Can someone please reach over and clutch at whatever straw they can grab.

The worst thing about all this?,  some nameless, poor and probably very desperate person has died, and treated with no dignity in their death whatsoever. That's pretty damning, worse still , the poor soul probably never even had a bloody chance in the first place, or possibly had all their chances taken away from them through no choice of their own.

That's the real tragedy here, young girls sleeping rough on concrete plinths, families living in derelict bars, a proud race of people forced to queue for free food, suicides, desperation and utter poverty. Reminds me of my History lesson when some guy called Nero picked up a musical instrument.

Edited by Butch
  • Great Info 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Butch said:

That's the real tragedy here, young girls sleeping rough on concrete plinths, families living in derelict bars, a proud race of people forced to queue for free food, suicides, desperation and utter poverty. Reminds me of my History lesson when some guy called Nero picked up a musical instrument.

...Just like most big cities in the US...before Covid..!

• Thumbs Up 2

My wife read the same thing just a bit ago, it is morning time here in America. I can tell this is bothering her, saw a slight tear in her eye seeing her country and people just get treated like this. They should ( the gov't) be asking for help, but you know the Thais, they won't. No one should just collapse on the street like this. 

So sad....

Edited by Yessongs
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Yessongs said:

My wife read the same thing just a bit ago, it is morning time here in America. I can tell this is bothering her, saw a slight tear in her eye seeing her country and people just get treated like this. They should ( the gov't) be asking for help, but you know the Thais, they won't. No one should just collapse on the street like this. 

So sad....

I was talking to my wife the other night, saying to her things are going to get bad in Thailand, her parents both in their 70's really need to get vaccinated as soon as possible. 

I could see her getting a bit teared up, and she said what can she do? 

I said there's nothing really you can do, there's no point in even thinking about buying vaccines over there, as f**k knows what you'd be buying. 

I then gave her a big hug and wished to myself i hadn't started the conversation.

Her sister's a nurse who has had two does of the Chinese vaccine already. So she knows when the vaccines are becoming available, we're hoping they're get jabbed soon, with whatever vaccine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So sad....

There's a lot of TH/Covid/fail posts on the internet right now -- people under white sheets on the streets of Bangkok -- from people who usually stay out of "current events."  Lots of rumblings and finger pointing in the direction of "change" (rightly so, imo).

For what it's worth, I see dead/near dead people on the street in The City almost every time I'm out early... (not) funny but most people in the US don't give a sh*t about it.

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

So sad....

The head of state is one of the richest individuals in the world and they are in the top richest countries in Asia ... they shouldn't need to ask for help 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

"Trust Us"

Director of National Vaccine Institute Nakorn Premsri said Wednesday Thailand will now join COVAX and apologized to the public for inadequately procuring vaccines for the country, saying the current situation was "unforseen."

175661950_6407398385943733_6569488929792323432_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/khaosod/photos/a.697577963592499/6407398372610401/

Bit of a loss of face there.

Also i think shows how serious they think it's gonna get in Thailand ...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Bit of a loss of face there.

Also i think shows how serious they think it's gonna get in Thailand ...

Having lived through this Covid "ramp up" in the US it will only become much worse until more folks are vaccinated.

Numbers are quickly going up. This is from today's Bangkok Post:

Record 13,002 new Covid cases

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2152383/record-13-002-new-covid-cases

...Apisamai Srirangson, a spokeswoman for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said in the afternoon briefing that the 108 new fatalities were aged 25-96 years and 68% of them were aged 60 years or more...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lazarus said:

"Trust Us"

Director of National Vaccine Institute Nakorn Premsri said Wednesday Thailand will now join COVAX and apologized to the public for inadequately procuring vaccines for the country, saying the current situation was "unforseen."

This government needs to go and bloody quick imo, total incompetence from a bunch of jobsworths who are not fit for purpose.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lazarus said:

"Trust Us"

English version of the same in the Bangkok Post.

'Sorry' for slow vaccine supply

Reading the article I thought what a bunch of bureaucratic gobbledygook nonsense trying to mitigate their incompetence and complete failure in dealing with the pandemic.

I found the following quote particularly galling. Premsri makes it sound like they placed an order to buy 61 million doses of AZ last November when the reality is that was probably when they signed the agreement to produce AZ locally. And we all know how well that worked out.

Speaking at the Public Health Ministry, NVI director Nakorn Premsri said the agency tried to contact vaccine manufacturers in August last year and place advance orders even though the vaccines were in research trials.

The Public Health Ministry issued a ministerial regulation under the National Vaccine Security Act to allow the NVI to place advance orders for vaccines being researched.

This led to talks with AstraZeneca between August and September last year to procure 61 million vaccine doses, Dr Nakorn said, adding that an order was placed in November last year.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/21/2021 at 7:38 PM, Krapow said:

I was talking to my wife the other night, saying to her things are going to get bad in Thailand, her parents both in their 70's really need to get vaccinated as soon as possible. 

I could see her getting a bit teared up, and she said what can she do? 

I said there's nothing really you can do, there's no point in even thinking about buying vaccines over there, as f**k knows what you'd be buying. 

I then gave her a big hug and wished to myself i hadn't started the conversation.

Her sister's a nurse who has had two does of the Chinese vaccine already. So she knows when the vaccines are becoming available, we're hoping they're get jabbed soon, with whatever vaccine.

Delighted to find out earlier both my Wife's parents got their 1st jabs earlier via the Government, not private.

The live outside Ayutthaya, though sure what supply is like elsewhere. 

• Like 4

Just been reading about a hospital in Bangkok now saying they are applying a 'Withhold Intubation Rule' for severe covid patients over 75 due to a serious shortage of life saving medical equipment. 

I'd have thought if you had to be intubed, then that would indicate your condition was 'severe', no matter. 

There you go, basically having to decide who to try and save, who not, who's the best chance, like they do in a war zone or whatever.

Strange, i read it on here Covid was an over exaggerated load of shite, or similar. 

Let's hope we don't have any elderly board members get infected and taken to that hospital.

Sadly as cases will continue to rise, more pressure on services and resources, it'll maybe be more more hospitals saying the same. Just the flu, but ...

Edited by Krapow
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, Krapow said:

Just been reading about a hospital in Bangkok now saying they are applying a 'Withhold Intubation Rule' for severe covid patients over 75 due to a serious shortage of life saving medical equipment. 

I'd have thought if you had to be intubed, then that would indicate your condition was 'severe', no matter. 

There you go, basically having to decide who to try and save, who not, who's the best chance, like they do in a war zone or whatever.

Strange, i read it on here Covid was an over exaggerated load of shite, or similar. 

Let's hope we don't have any elderly board members get infected and taken to that hospital.

Sadly as cases will continue to rise, more pressure on services and resources, it'll maybe be more more hospitals saying the same. Just the flu, but ...

Intubation is a very invasive and unpleasant treatment. It was so difficult to do here in the potential numbers they were thinking we were going to see that they switched to using CPAP machines, which can be fitted by a nurse, whereas intubation needs to be done by a Doctor.

If you need intubation it means your lungs can no longer "work" without serious assistance, so yes, severe and usually done when the patient is under as the thorax etc is more relaxed, so stuffing a large plastic pipe down there doesn't cause too much aggro.

Terrible situation to be in, and shades of Italy in the early days of the pandemic when we were all watching on TV the Health professionals, family members etc in Italy realising that they need to make arguably the most difficult choice of all.

As you said @Krapow, according to some it's all over exaggerated, that is until they end up spewing their own pink, frothy lung tissue out of their mouth and nose.

My sentiments reflect your own, hopefully any elderly / vulnerable boardies can ride this one out, having some this far, with not much further to go, fingers crossed.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Butch said:

Intubation is a very invasive and unpleasant treatment. It was so difficult to do here in the potential numbers they were thinking we were going to see that they switched to using CPAP machines, which can be fitted by a nurse, whereas intubation needs to be done by a Doctor.

If you need intubation it means your lungs can no longer "work" without serious assistance, so yes, severe and usually done when the patient is under as the thorax etc is more relaxed, so stuffing a large plastic pipe down there doesn't cause too much aggro.

Terrible situation to be in, and shades of Italy in the early days of the pandemic when we were all watching on TV the Health professionals, family members etc in Italy realising that they need to make arguably the most difficult choice of all.

As you said @Krapow, according to some it's all over exaggerated, that is until they end up spewing their own pink, frothy lung tissue out of their mouth and nose.

My sentiments reflect your own, hopefully any elderly / vulnerable boardies can ride this one out, having some this far, with not much further to go, fingers crossed.

Yes, was thinking about Italy in them days when i read it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I was riding down Beach Rd this morning when around Soi 6 heard a beach patrol guy madly tweeting his whistle. Hopped up onto the footpath to have a look at what got the patrol guy all upset and saw the guy in the pic on a leisurely stroll along the low tide mark. The walker never gave the patrol guy a glance and continued on his walk. No surprise beach patrol guy was too lazy to walk down and tell him the beach was closed. Just absurd some of the restrictions they have in place.

P7250006.jpg

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I was riding down Beach Rd this morning when around Soi 6 heard a beach patrol guy madly tweeting his whistle. Hopped up onto the footpath to have a look at what got the patrol guy all upset and saw the guy in the pic on a leisurely stroll along the low tide mark. The walker never gave the patrol guy a glance and continued on his walk. No surprise beach patrol guy was too lazy to walk down and tell him the beach was closed. Just absurd some of the restrictions they have in place.

P7250006.jpg

Prime facie it is rediculous to prohibit entry onto a wide open space of public land where there is plenty of sea breeze, however over the last couple of weeks I have seen large groups of people, (possibly from same household, possibly not) all sat in close proximity having a picnic.  This close association, even outdoors I am sure are at varience with the aims of the Covid 19 preventitive measures.

Last year there was a situation in UK where people were allowed to associate outdoors for exercise;  things then came to head, when two joggers bought a coffee outside each and consumed the same together.  A big debate then followed as to whether or not and if so how long could one be allowed to rest during exercise and whehter or not the coffee drinking miscreants were having a picnic.

Whilst the beach ban is probably a disproportionate measure, it does keep things simple and prevents ambiguity over whether people can rest, sit on the beach or even picnic with others who are not membes of their households.