COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

https://elemental.medium.com/a-supercomputer-analyzed-covid-19-and-an-interesting-new-theory-has-emerged-31cb8eba9d63

The above is a link to an article about a supercomputer which has come up with an hypothesis which possibly explains many aspects of Covid-19, and suggests potential treatments.

I think the article is interesting, but it is lengthy, and quite scientific. Below is my attempt to precis the article/hypothesis, and make it a little more readable. N.B. I have no scientific experience or expertise, so caveat emptor! 

ABOUT THE INFECTION
A Covid-19 infection generally begins when the virus enters the body through ACE2 receptors in the nose, and then proceeds through the body, entering cells in other places where ACE2 is also present: the intestines, kidneys, and heart. 

But once Covid-19 has established itself in the body, it actively hijacks the body’s own systems, tricking it into upregulating ACE2 receptors in places where they’re usually expressed at low or medium levels, including the lungs.

The renin–angiotensin system (RAS) controls many aspects of the circulatory system, including the body’s levels of a chemical called bradykinin, which normally helps to regulate blood pressure. When the virus tweaks the RAS, it causes the body’s mechanisms for regulating bradykinin to go haywire, and there is a massive buildup of bradykinin in the body. It is this storm that is ultimately responsible for many of Covid-19’s deadly effects.

VASCULAR
The hypothesis is that, as bradykinin builds up in the body, it dramatically increases vascular permeability. In short, it makes your blood vessels leaky. This aligns with recent clinical data, which increasingly views Covid-19 primarily as a vascular disease, rather than a respiratory one. 

RESPIRATORY
But Covid-19 still has a massive effect on the lungs. As blood vessels start to leak due to a bradykinin storm, the lungs can fill with fluid. Immune cells also leak out into the lungs causing inflammation.

Through another pathway, it increases production of hyaluronic acid (HLA) in the lungs. HLA is often used in soaps and lotions for its ability to absorb more than 1,000 times its weight in fluid. When it combines with fluid leaking into the lungs, the results are disastrous: it forms a hydrogel, which can fill the lungs in some patients.

This may explain why ventilators have proven less effective in treating advanced Covid-19 than doctors originally expected, based on experiences with other viruses.

HEART
About one in five hospitalized Covid-19 patients have damage to their hearts, even if they never had cardiac issues before. Some of this is likely due to the virus infecting the heart directly through its ACE2 receptors. But the RAS also controls aspects of cardiac contractions and blood pressure. According to the researchers, bradykinin storms could create arrhythmias and low blood pressure, which are often seen in Covid-19 patients.

BRAIN
The bradykinin hypothesis also accounts for Covid-19’s neurological effects. These symptoms (which include dizziness, seizures, delirium, and stroke) are present in as many as half of hospitalized Covid-19 patients, and many such patients have evidence of leaky blood vessels in their brains.

Bradykinin — especially at high doses — can also lead to a breakdown of the blood-brain barrier. Under normal circumstances, this barrier acts as a filter between your brain and the rest of your circulatory system. It lets in the nutrients and small molecules that the brain needs to function, while keeping out toxins and pathogens and keeping the brain’s internal environment tightly regulated.

If bradykinin storms cause the blood-brain barrier to break down, this could allow harmful cells and compounds into the brain, leading to inflammation, potential brain damage, and many of the neurological symptoms Covid-19 patients experience.

ACE INHIBITORS
ACE inhibitors — a class of drugs used to treat high blood pressure — have a similar effect on the RAS system as Covid-19, increasing bradykinin levels. By acting like a natural ACE inhibitor, Covid-19 may be causing the same effects that hypertensive patients sometimes get when they take blood pressure–lowering drugs. ACE inhibitors are known to cause a dry cough and fatigue, two textbook symptoms of Covid-19. 

POSSIBLE TREATMENTS
Several drugs target aspects of the RAS, and are already FDA approved to treat other conditions. They could arguably be applied to treating Covid-19 as well. 

Vitamin D potentially could be useful as a Covid-19 drug. The vitamin is involved in the RAS system and could prove helpful by reducing levels of another compound, known as REN.

• Like 1

Taken for  a local forum :

"One of my staff was found Corona positive and will be getting out of hospital in a few days we hope. How it was dealt with was an eye-opener for me: first he went to hospital complaining of stomach problems after one of the Balinese group feeding frenzy with tuak and they gave him some antibiotics and sent him on his way - all normal so far. Next he came back a few (3/4) days later with the same issue and they ran some tests on him, corona being one of them - all negative. He should have been in the best of health according to all the tests so they sent him packing again with some more antibiotics. Symptoms don't improve and then he gets head ache, fever and breathing problems (chest pains). So they test him this time just for Rona and guess what? Positive and immediately into isolation ward in hospital with one other person, who promptly dies - not what you want to have happen when you're just placed on the ward. 2 weeks later and 3 tests he should get out in a day or 2. Family and friends not tested but fam told to self isolate. Follow up looking for other infected "0".

Make of this what you will. Staff suspects he was infected in hospital when he first appeared with stomach trouble. I think that absolutely no one has clue 1 what they are doing either here or the west. It's all "learning by doing" and anyone that suspects that it's all being run by adults is fooling themselves and none of us is the wiser."

I fully agree with the conclusion, specially in this kind of countries. Same for Thailand. The West barely knows what they're doing, so what do you expect in a "developing" country ?

And before you ask "does it worries or scares me ?"   Nope, not at all. 

4 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

The number of C19 cases have started to significantly rise in UK recently. Not sure whether it is the start of a Second wave or part of the first one. 

They reckon part of it is because of increased testing so are getting more positive results. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

The number of C19 cases have started to significantly rise in UK recently. Not sure whether it is the start of a Second wave or part of the first one. 

Same thing is writtrn every day about France, but look at the latest chart I posted..

The number of cases is meaningless, only important thing is the mortality rate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Same thing is writtrn every day about France, but look at the latest chart I posted..

The number of cases is meaningless, only important thing is the mortality rate.

And in the UK from what I'm reading, the numbers are very low. 

Im not the brightest button but something doesn't add up for me. Where have all the daily hospital admissions and daily deaths disappeared to? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aqualung said:

And in the UK from what I'm reading, the numbers are very low. 

Im not the brightest button but something doesn't add up for me. Where have all the daily hospital admissions and daily deaths disappeared to? 

Well the stats are available here .....  This is UK's office of statistics. So we can consider it THE reliable source.

And the text is in English ! 

So, where are the 100 / 1000's of excess deaths in August compared to the average of the last 5 years ?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending28august2020

ONS 1.jpg

ONS 2.jpg

Can't understand why people are not looking at this kind of sources, but take FB, Youtube or sensationalist newspaper for gold ?

50 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

What a wonderful new world governments are organizing for the good people .......

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54081131

Coronavirus: Social gatherings above six banned in England from 14 September

Thanks f**k I am not in the West ! 

Spice its only September by Christmas it will be down to 2 by February it might be down to one.......When flu season hits we will be on the Corona express...

Edited by fforest

20 minutes ago, fforest said:

Spice its only September by Christmas it will be down to 2 by February it might be down to one.......When flu season hits we will be on the Corona express...

Absolute madness mate !  And the people following all this B.S. blindly ....

This thing will be used as excuse for every  economic , social, societal problem for the coming 5 years !

• Like 4

15 hours ago, galenkia said:

They reckon part of it is because of increased testing so are getting more positive results. 

If you can trust the test results and test kits used or the all encompassing "death by covid" regardless of the actual reason .... 

Edited by code_slayer_bkk

Hmmm...

If you are afraid of needles, "mask challenged" or an anti-vaxer...this might be the ticket.

A New Theory Asks: Could a Mask Be a Crude 'Vaccine'?
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/A-New-Theory-Asks-Could-a-Mask-Be-a-Crude-15550266.php

...Masked exposures are no substitute for a bona fide vaccine. But data from animals infected with the coronavirus, as well as insights gleaned from other diseases, suggest that masks, by cutting down on the number of viruses that encounter a person’s airway, might reduce the wearer’s chances of getting sick. And if a small number of pathogens still slip through, the researchers argue, these might prompt the body to produce immune cells that can remember the virus and stick around to fight it off again.

“You can have this virus but be asymptomatic,” said Dr. Monica Gandhi, an infectious disease physician at the University of California, San Francisco, and one of the commentary’s authors. “So if you can drive up rates of asymptomatic infection with masks, maybe that becomes a way to variolate the population.” ...

...It is important to remember, she said, that vaccines are inherently less dangerous than actual infections, which is why practices like variolation (sometimes called inoculation) eventually became obsolete. Before vaccines were discovered, doctors made do by rubbing bits of smallpox scabs or pus into the skin of healthy people. The resulting infections were usually less severe than smallpox cases caught the typical way, but “people definitely got smallpox and died from variolation,” Rasmussen said. And variolation, unlike vaccines, can make people contagious to others.

Gandhi acknowledged these limitations, noting that the theory should not be construed as anything other than that — a theory. Still, she said, “Why not drive up the possibility of not getting sick and having some immunity while we’re waiting for the vaccine?”

2 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Yea, the Y2K bug was a serious and sincere global threat .. but, never occurred ....

It was probably only ever going to be a threat if precautions had not been taken.

I worked consultancy on British Airways systems to ensure they were Y2K ready, there was no issue with the BA systems falling over as we prepared and planned accordingly, we negated any issues occurring, we did have quite a bit of warning though.......

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

It was probably only ever going to be a threat if precautions had not been taken.

I worked consultancy on British Airways systems to ensure they were Y2K ready, there was no issue with the BA systems falling over as we prepared and planned accordingly, we negated any issues occurring, we did have quite a bit of warning though.......

Yea, it was only the addition of 2 bits which was either a field extension or casted into a new 1 byte new field or 2 bytes ( depended ) .. or a very simple "code" revision ... or a generic script to handle the date manipulation into a new field defined within the data base ... which is very simple ..

At that time we made a couple of simple changes to GALILEO, AMADEUS, SABRE and APOLLO ... ( small remnants of APOLLO )

But, the Y2K fear mongers sure made it a global business pandemic at the time ...

Edited by code_slayer_bkk
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1